Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Wine Appreciation thread

cookygarcia is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hobnobs View Post
    I have never had a hangover in my life, nor have I ever had a headache. Nearest I've got is a time I was (deliberately) skating down an ice-slide in my trainers but fell over and whacked the back of my head a good'un... *really* rang my bell, so much so that I nearly threw up, and ached for hours... If that's what a headache feels like I never want one.
    I never had a hangover until I hit 28. Since then they have started getting vengeance for all the years I'd avoided them.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

hobnobs is offline May contain sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by saragreen View Post
    I never had a hangover until I hit 28. Since then they have started getting vengeance for all the years I'd avoided them.
    I'm past that point by over a decade. Still not turned up yet.

Hobbes. is offline Bandwagon jumper of the year
    I don't think I will ever choose to drink red wine over a decent choice of other beverages. It is quite hard to enjoy.

prredhouse is offline Off-Topic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by Panic-Button View Post
    I don't think I will ever choose to drink red wine over a decent choice of other beverages. It is quite hard to enjoy.
    you need to eat some quality cheddar and the wine will talk

Quote Originally Posted by prredhouse View Post
    you need to eat some quality cheddar and the wine will talk
    It will say "You're about to start praying to the porcelain god."

It will say "You're about to start praying to the porcelain god."
    nah mate but I like the joke, reading about rome and the only god i pray to is Hercules:FP:

I have never had a hangover in my life, nor have I ever had a headache. Nearest I've got is a time I was (deliberately) skating down an ice-slide in my trainers but fell over and whacked the back of my head a good'un... *really* rang my bell, so much so that I nearly threw up, and ached for hours... If that's what a headache feels like I never want one.
    Think you had a concussion then, you crazy mofo.

I used to love red wine until one evening when I drank close to 4 bottles, which resulted in my falling down the stairs and being sick at the same time.

Since then my stomach just doesn't take to it

Quote Originally Posted by BostonFans View Post
    Think you had a concussion then, you crazy mofo.
    Possibly, although I'm not sure as I wasn't confused, knocked out, loss of memory or anything like that. It was when I was about 12 though, so I didn't even know much about things like concussion. I was just thinking along the lines of "Owwwwwww! Stupid idiot! That hurt! I'm not doing that again! Jeez my head hurts. Ow ow ow ow. I'm going to sit down. Ow".

Possibly, although I'm not sure as I wasn't confused, knocked out, loss of memory or anything like that. It was when I was about 12 though, so I didn't even know much about things like concussion. I was just thinking along the lines of "Owwwwwww! Stupid idiot! That hurt! I'm not doing that again! Jeez my head hurts. Ow ow ow ow. I'm going to sit down. Ow".

The nausea is usually a pretty good indicator, I've only had one after an EPIC ski crash, and it was one of the worst things ever.

geralion is online now Or a tiger they're almost as good
    right i love a drop of vino as many people probably have guessed!

so what i reckon is a thread that highlights a good cheap wine so as to rule out any snobbery(hopefully!)

My choice a spanish crianza, sunshine in a glass, cheap and nearly always bang on.

Lidl do a good range but campo viejo crianza 2007 is stand out to me.

This could work or probably crash and burn, in my defence I was kicked out of the beer thread!
    Can I make a suggestion- buy cheap wine and stash it. I bought a case of Chilean or was it Argentinian?? SOmething called Ezzano? Something like that... about 8 years ago. It was horrid. So it sat in the cupboard until I found it again a few months ago. It was fantastic!
    Young wines can be bought very cheaply. Even 3 years would improve considerably in most cases.

My favourite grape is the pinot noir so that's burgundy but you can't get decent ones for peanuts, so that's a treat once or twice a year. I don't liek white wine on the whole but again white burgundy would be my choice.
    Living in CApe Town half the year and right next to a couple of SA's best vineyards I'm not spoilt for choice! If you come across it ever, try Marlbrook which has 5 different grapes in it - its about 15 quid here so maybe a bit more in the UK. But its delicious.

SA wines in the uk - Beyerskloof is nice all purpose and affordable in the UK. Its a hybrid grape of Pinto Noir and Cincaut or hermitage grapes. Its dark, plummy and full of tannins so your mouth will go nicely purple!

I'll agree with others - Campo Vieja Rioja reserve is one of the best affordable wines.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonFans View Post
    White can be far too sweet for me, but a nice dry white wine is excellent.
    Ever tried Pouilly Fumee?

ALL alcohol - and I do mean ALL .. wine, beer, spirits, shooters, you name it - tastes like crap. I have never understood why people consume so much of the stuff. In addition, after a wild night out and the 'high' it gives you, it makes you feel like death and, when you hear what you did when you were enebriated, you feel like a complete moron (well, you should anyway). Plus it tastes bad. Why then do so many people drink the stuff? It is one of life's great mysteries. To me, at least. I DO realise I am the minority speaking here. The tiny minority. The eensy weensy minority, like trying to spot the Exeter fan at Wembley on FA Cup final day.

Before anyone asks, my aversion to alcohol is not because I am a killjoy of anything like that - I have other vices, believe me - The taste, effect and after-effect is all just vile.

That's my two cents worth - I wonder if anyone else on here feels the same way ..

Quote Originally Posted by grenny158 View Post
    ALL alcohol - and I do mean ALL .. wine, beer, spirits, shooters, you name it - tastes like crap. I have never understood why people consume so much of the stuff. In addition, after a wild night out and the 'high' it gives you, it makes you feel like death and, when you hear what you did when you were enebriated, you feel like a complete moron (well, you should anyway). Plus it tastes bad. Why then do so many people drink the stuff? It is one of life's great mysteries. To me, at least. I DO realise I am the minority speaking here. The tiny minority. The eensy weensy minority, like trying to spot the Exeter fan at Wembley on FA Cup final day.

Before anyone asks, my aversion to alcohol is not because I am a killjoy of anything like that - I have other vices, believe me - The taste, effect and after-effect is all just vile.

That's my two cents worth - I wonder if anyone else on here feels the same way ..
    Interesting. I love the taste of it, so I can't quite relate to your view on it. Then again, I am Irish, so if I didn't like beer I'd be very obscure.

right i love a drop of vino as many people probably have guessed!

so what i reckon is a thread that highlights a good cheap wine so as to rule out any snobbery(hopefully!)

My choice a spanish crianza, sunshine in a glass, cheap and nearly always bang on.

Lidl do a good range but campo viejo crianza 2007 is stand out to me.

This could work or probably crash and burn, in my defence I was kicked out of the beer thread!
    mate, Crianza means: 12 months in an oak barrell.
    it's not a kind of grape or region so there are many crianzas as you will imagine!
    Campo Viejo is a decent enough Rioja, good value for money.
    If you like Spanish wine and have the chance i would recomend you to try any Ribera del Duero (Reds), they are usually more expensive but worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by GiorgosCarraGoonies View Post
    Interesting. I love the taste of it, so I can't quite relate to your view on it. Then again, I am Irish, so if I didn't like beer I'd be very obscure.
    I know GCG - I realise I am very much in the minority. My mates don't understand it either .. I'm not even sure why I have such an aversion to alcohol .. most likely something happened in my childhood that I am not even aware of.

Hobbes. is offline Bandwagon jumper of the year

Well taste is very subjective, but I get where you are coming from. I used to hate spirits like vodka and actually couldn't drink it. It is almost nice to me now and its the only thing I will buy, therefore I think taste depends on your outlook (I don't think of it as bad tasting, so I don't notice any bad taste?)

And then on your second point, not everyone gets hangovers.

On your third point, there are people who struggle to have fun without alcohol, whether it be a social or anxiety thing. Maybe they hate the ease and bear through it to feel better.

On another note, I'm sure even you would enjoy a private pina colada or something of the sort. You can't complain about the taste

Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    mate, Crianza means: 12 months in an oak barrell.
    it's not a kind of grape or region so there are many crianzas as you will imagine!
    Campo Viejo is a decent enough Rioja, good value for money.
    If you like Spanish wine and have the chance i would recomend you to try any Ribera del Duero (Reds), they are usually more expensive but worthwhile.
    ha
    Thanks for the advice that wine you mentioned does it have any other labels? is it widely available in the UK?
    cheers!

I only drink Cab Sav or J. Moreau & Fils. I Love red wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic-Button View Post
    Well taste is very subjective, but I get where you are coming from. I used to hate spirits like vodka and actually couldn't drink it. It is almost nice to me now and its the only thing I will buy, therefore I think taste depends on your outlook (I don't think of it as bad tasting, so I don't notice any bad taste?)

And then on your second point, not everyone gets hangovers.

On your third point, there are people who struggle to have fun without alcohol, whether it be a social or anxiety thing. Maybe they hate the ease and bear through it to feel better.

On another note, I'm sure even you would enjoy a private pina colada or something of the sort. You can't complain about the taste
    All your points makes sense, Panic-Button, barring perhaps the final one. Literally the only alcohol I can stomach is a JaegerBomb - and that is only because I enjoy the taste of Red Bull and it kind of masks the taste of the JaegerMeister. Gets you nice and 'on' too .. I once 'thought' I enjoyed the taste of Meerlust Rubicon (a bold South African Red) but, on reflection, found that it was only because I had had a few JaegerBombs before I had the glass of red. Some after after, I tried the Meerlust again with dinner on evening, and hated it.
    Last edited by grenny158; 28-4-12 at 17:47.

All your points makes sense, Panic-Button, barring perhaps the final one. Literally the only alcohol I can stomach is a JaegerBomb - and that is only because I enjoy the taste of Red Bull and it kind of masks the taste of the JaegerMeister. Gets you nice and 'on' too .. I once 'thought' I enjoyed the taste of Meerlust Rubicon (a bold South African Red) but, on reflection, found that it was only because I had had a few JaegerBombs before I had the glass of red. Some after after, I tried the Meerlust again with dinner on evening, and hated it.
    Ahh!! Meerlust Rubicon - a legend in a bottle.

I know GCG - I realise I am very much in the minority. My mates don't understand it either .. I'm not even sure why I have such an aversion to alcohol .. most likely something happened in my childhood that I am not even aware of.
    Grenny - some people are actually allergic to it or some of the components of wine - e.g sulphur.
    ALso, its not compulsory to drink vats of alcohol. You can just enjoy a glass or two!

That's a possibility.

When I was a small child, my aunt used to dip my dummy in beer. That's what I blame

------------
    Last edited by Alon1; 28-4-12 at 22:19.

'Stim is offline First team regular
    I enjoying a glass of Chilean Red during the second half. Very nice.

ceredred is offline Welsh dolphin-whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Stim View Post
    I enjoying a glass of Chilean Red during the second half. Very nice.
    I love Chilean wine it's my favourite region.

But for now going to get pie-eyed with a bottle of JD after that superb hat-trick by Suarez.

Quote Originally Posted by geralion View Post
    Can I make a suggestion- buy cheap wine and stash it. I bought a case of Chilean or was it Argentinian?? SOmething called Ezzano? Something like that... about 8 years ago. It was horrid. So it sat in the cupboard until I found it again a few months ago. It was fantastic!
    Young wines can be bought very cheaply. Even 3 years would improve considerably in most cases.

My favourite grape is the pinot noir so that's burgundy but you can't get decent ones for peanuts, so that's a treat once or twice a year. I don't liek white wine on the whole but again white burgundy would be my choice.
    Living in CApe Town half the year and right next to a couple of SA's best vineyards I'm not spoilt for choice! If you come across it ever, try Marlbrook which has 5 different grapes in it - its about 15 quid here so maybe a bit more in the UK. But its delicious.

SA wines in the uk - Beyerskloof is nice all purpose and affordable in the UK. Its a hybrid grape of Pinto Noir and Cincaut or hermitage grapes. Its dark, plummy and full of tannins so your mouth will go nicely purple!

I'll agree with others - Campo Vieja Rioja reserve is one of the best affordable wines.
    Really good post and I enjoyed reading it too. Really good idea about young wines, The fact that chilean reds are cheap as chips would make them ideal for this experiment. Thank you, Im getting some great posts on this thread
    CHEERS Me dears!!

You can't go wrong with a Côtes du Rhône.

Quote Originally Posted by Champagnerocker View Post
    You can't go wrong with a Côtes du Rhône.
    You probably cant but the name of the game in my book is good red wine sold cheaply, when I say cheaply I mean aldi cheap!!

Currently enjoying a nice red and it's helping me get over today's result. Cheers fellow 'reds'...