Notices
Reply to Thread

Thread: Biting Point When Driving

1. #1 Default Biting Point When Driving 
    can someone briefly explain to me what the biting point is because i'm not 100% sure if sayin ' it's the point when the engine of your car has the sufficient power it needs for your vehicle to move off '. and also could someone tell me the stages of the biting point to please otherwise my instructor will have a go at me
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

How long have you been practicing for, OP?

Finding the bite is easy in time. Your description of its function seems accurate.

I believe it's when the clutch "connects" when you're bringing it up. You should be able to feel it!

e.g, the point where you need to start giving it some revs, or you'll stall Once you've been driving a while, you can hold the car still at the biting point without using brakes

lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    You got it.

The best advice I was given was to just kill the car a few times. Turn it on, and slowly let the clutch out. You will feel the car start to 'bite' as you say, then it will putter and die. Do this a few times, and get used to the car doing it so you're not afraid of killing it anymore.

tweepie is online now Community Moderator
    It's a pain trying to get that bite when you start driving, but once you get the knack... You hardly realise it's there, it just becomes instinctive. It's when you get the feel that the car's about to move forward as you are raising the clutch but it hasn't quite moved yet.

When I was learning to drive my Dad used to bring me out for long drives at weekends. Various places, open roads, mountainous areas, into town etc to get me used to driving in different places. The best thing he did was bring me to the car park of our local church which was on a slight incline (barely noticeable but enough to get the car rolling if the handbrake wasn't on.
    There he got me to repeatedly hold the car at the biting point using the clutch and accelerator. It was the best thing to help me as once I got the knack of doing it there, I never had any trouble with stalling the car or with hill starts.

Practice somewhere like that.
    YNWA

Marcelo Wallace is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by MidTableTeam View Post
    can someone briefly explain to me what the biting point is because i'm not 100% sure if sayin ' it's the point when the engine of your car has the sufficient power it needs for your vehicle to move off '. and also could someone tell me the stages of the biting point to please otherwise my instructor will have a go at me
    I wouldn't blame him if you bit him

ceredred is offline Welsh dolphin-whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by tweepie View Post
    It's a pain trying to get that bite when you start driving, but once you get the knack... You hardly realise it's there, it just becomes instinctive. It's when you get the feel that the car's about to move forward as you are raising the clutch but it hasn't quite moved yet.

When I was learning to drive my Dad used to bring me out for long drives at weekends. Various places, open roads, mountainous areas, into town etc to get me used to driving in different places. The best thing he did was bring me to the car park of our local church which was on a slight incline (barely noticeable but enough to get the car rolling if the handbrake wasn't on.
    There he got me to repeatedly hold the car at the biting point using the clutch and accelerator. It was the best thing to help me as once I got the knack of doing it there, I never had any trouble with stalling the car or with hill starts.

Practice somewhere like that.
    That's good advice tweepie.

Or try revving the nuts out the engine and lift quickly for wheel spin then run through the gears barra bing barra boom.

MiraclesArePossible is online now First team regular
    My instructor always made me lift the clutch and press the accelerator so slowly that the engine was roaring by the time I found the bite. He never explained how I could do it more efficiently. Needless to say, I gave up driving after a while.

HeWhoShallNotBeNamed is online now Academy prospect
    It's when you bite the gear stick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI