Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can Liverpool Break Into The Top Four ?

After yesterdays shambolic performance I think its safe to say Top 4 is going to be a bit of a stretch! Although I do think there is hope. We have started to play the system very well just cant score & I dont really think Suarez is to blame. I think there is so much focus on him so its its easy for defenders to just focus on him as we dont have any other real threats seeing as Sterling is still really young & Borini is still finding his feet. I think that fixing this may be easier than we think. Benitez said that Gerrard would be played further up the park in the latter stages of his career so why dont we try it? I think if we had Gerrard as a central striker up front and move Suarez out to the right it may just give us some more bite up front. Gerrard wont have to be working so hard and we know he knows where the net is and with Suarez and Sterling creating havoc on the flanks running the fullbacks into the ground it just might spread the opposition defence out a bit more as they wont be clustering around Suarez in the middle so much. It also gives us Borini to be able to come off the bench for us. In regards to the midfield I think Shelvey has really showed he is more than capable of filling the attacking midfield role. It would give us a midfield of Sahin, Allen & Shelvey, with Lucas still to come back from injury and Henderson off the bench. I dont know am I just being delusional or does anyone else think this may work too?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

willymadenuhwilliams is offline Armchair supporter
    We can if we have good quality players and we have that and we have a lack of consentration in the game so we need to build up on that and we have to have players who knw how to play the position they are placed in and some more ideas and if we have those maybe we can fall in the top four(4)

Quote Originally Posted by don0124lfc View Post
    we were ok until ten men, we probably had more going forward after the goal in secon half before the game changing red card, saying that our benitez sides with 10 would play with more structure even push on to win games
    And What do you think now?

Quote Originally Posted by SwissV View Post
    After yesterdays shambolic performance I think its safe to say Top 4 is going to be a bit of a stretch! Although I do think there is hope. We have started to play the system very well just cant score & I dont really think Suarez is to blame. I think there is so much focus on him so its its easy for defenders to just focus on him as we dont have any other real threats seeing as Sterling is still really young & Borini is still finding his feet. I think that fixing this may be easier than we think. Benitez said that Gerrard would be played further up the park in the latter stages of his career so why dont we try it? I think if we had Gerrard as a central striker up front and move Suarez out to the right it may just give us some more bite up front. Gerrard wont have to be working so hard and we know he knows where the net is and with Suarez and Sterling creating havoc on the flanks running the fullbacks into the ground it just might spread the opposition defence out a bit more as they wont be clustering around Suarez in the middle so much. It also gives us Borini to be able to come off the bench for us. In regards to the midfield I think Shelvey has really showed he is more than capable of filling the attacking midfield role. It would give us a midfield of Sahin, Allen & Shelvey, with Lucas still to come back from injury and Henderson off the bench. I dont know am I just being delusional or does anyone else think this may work too?
    I understand you point but I dont believe Gerrard is an out and out striker. IMO, we should try something like this:

---------------Reina----------------
    Kelly---Skrtel---Agger---Enrique
    ----------Allen-----Shelvey---------
    Johnson----Gerrard-----Sterling-
    --------------Suarez-----------------

Leaves you with a subs bench of:
    Jones
    Carra
    Coates
    Henderson
    Sahin
    Assaidi
    Borini

Robinson, Flanagan, Suso, Morgan, Downing etc. can fill in for injuries/suspensions when neccessary.
    Last edited by xRedmanLFCx; 17-9-12 at 14:23.

"At the moment I don't know how strong our opponents are. We've not played against any of the title contenders yet. It will be important to see how we do against the bigger teams." - Wenger ...

I suppose in eyes of our competition we are already not big enough to consider top 4 material ...

We will be closer to the bottom 4 than the top 4 until we get some playmakers and match winners in the final 3rd.
    To start a full season with only 1 experienced forward is total and utter madness.
    You reap what you sow FSG.

Quote Originally Posted by mogambo1 View Post
    "At the moment I don't know how strong our opponents are. We've not played against any of the title contenders yet. It will be important to see how we do against the bigger teams." - Wenger ...

I suppose in eyes of our competition we are already not big enough to consider top 4 material ...
    mmm sad as it may be ... I find it hard to argue with his comment

brewbox is offline Armchair supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nwarde View Post
    With Rodgers in charge and with his signings Borini, Allen and some French guy. Medicore players we keep signing.

Honestly, what were Fenway thinking when they appointed Rodgers?! What do they want to achieve with him?
    I will be suprised if we finish in the top 8 this season.

For the first time in over 20 years of supporting this club and going to their matches, I have lost almost complete interest.
    They've achieved it probably; a cheaper manager, maybe we should consider following their yankee teams instead, thats probably where the money is going b*******.

Today's game aside where I was a complete nervous wreck, I actually enjoying watching us play, win or lose. I enjoy the style and I really like what Brendan's doing and very confident in the LONG TERM future of the club...

PratikGaikwad is offline Armchair supporter
    We can say no now , but things will change after the Jan transfer season, expecting Huntelaar + a great finisher in the team and an emerging goalie would take us to that spot. YNWA

Of course, we can... we are just 5 points behind with 26 games to go. We just need to remain confident and build on our current form

TheSoundLady is online now Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Yessssssssssssssssss Liverpool can and will finish in the top 4. Believe!

Why NOT us?

(paraphrasing #23)

The Kloppster is offline Academy prospect
    A win against Swansea (that would be our first back to back win in Fowler knows how long) would be a good start.

No reason why we can't beat Tottenham either. They are a very good side, but so are we. We just have to make sure we take our chances against them!

Quote Originally Posted by Neverman View Post
    Why NOT us?

(paraphrasing #23)
    Jordan, or Beckham?

Quote Originally Posted by BinaryMan100110101 View Post
    A win against Swansea (that would be our first back to back win in Fowler knows how long) would be a good start.

No reason why we can't beat Tottenham either. They are a very good side, but so are we. We just have to make sure we take our chances against them!
    yes. If we only win one of the two, I think it'll be Spurs.

Cumbrian. is offline First team regular
    CADS I meant 49ers

Quote Originally Posted by -Cumbrian- View Post
    CADS I meant 49ers
    It's one of those that could go either way. I would favour the 49ers because of their mean defence but Saints have won 4 out of their last 5 games. I see the handicap is 49ers -2.5. I would go for that but I would only be 65% confident in it.
    Last edited by -CADS-; 25-11-12 at 20:10.

The Kloppster is offline Academy prospect
    After tonight, the last shred of a chance for 4th is gone.

The transfer window is a month away, and it's as close to impossible now to get 4th.

After tonight, the last shred of a chance for 4th is gone.

The transfer window is a month away, and it's as close to impossible now to get 4th.
    3 wins in a row can propell you up the ladder fast in this league.
    I wouldnt rule us out just yet.

zoive69 is offline Armchair supporter
    At least kenny dalglish made liverpool win some silverware after 6 years and reached FA cup final even though Liverpool was 8th in the league table. Now, under brendan rodgers, Liverpool might finish even lower in the table (judging from the current situation) and without any silverware. I don't understand how LFC can manage to get something out of this season when we compare the football Liverpool plays to that of other big teams in the PL

The top four is way beyond this squad of players we may be relegated but not the top four, because lose on Saturday and we could be one point above the drop and that is or could be hard to get out of everyone will make it even tougher for us because of who we are and make no bones about it Southampton could beat us this week, most think its three points in the bag but I don't nor does Rogers he knows people will want him out if he cannot beat teams like Southampton, three wins all season is not good enough no matter how well we have played the end result is about winning and nothing else matters.

Wow, bunch of knee jerkers over here.

Top 4 isn't even close to gone. The next 7 games are 7 of the most winnable games you could ask for in the Prem, they're against teams outside the top 8. The 3 away ones are tricky, the home ones shouldn't be but might be. Yet there's no reason we can't win 5, 6 or 7 of these. No reason at all. We do that, and we may not only be in the top 4 race by Jan, we may be inside the top 4 by Jan. So let's shut up whining and just do it.

RedsJames is offline Armchair supporter
    If BR insists on playing players out of position and also not rewarding good performances with continual 1st team places but instead giving places based on reputation, at best we will be a mid-table team this season. Some have argued that we are just 3 wins from the Top 4. Well, hello! If we continue to drop precious points and teams below us manage to string 3 wins, we will fall into the relegation battle zone!

Let's have a look at our beloved team squad:

Goalkeeping - Reina has been poor in my opinion since being gifted back his position. I believe Jones should be re-instated as he gave a good account of himself when given that short run of games recently. Reina, in my opinion, is over-rated, and has not shown sufficient desire to excel in the games he has played recently. This morning against Spurs, I'd expect a goalkeeper of his stature to at least attempt to save Bale's deflected free kick. Instead, his first reaction was to scream at the wall! Whereas for the first goal conceded, any goalkeeper that allows a cross to travel past the face of his goal mouth is asking for trouble. I would go so far as to say off-load Reina in January while he is worth something to other clubs.

Defenders - Wisdom is quite a few year away from being a solid right sided fullback. My preference would be to see Johnson back in this role, and Enrique slot back on the left side. There are really very few options for centrebacks. I'd give Skrtle and Agger the role but keep them on their toes by bringing in Carra or Coates should Skrtle or Agger does anything silly and cost the team.

Midfielders - We are supposed to be rich with stock in this area, but have so far found most of them to be over-rated too! There is no question that the two central spots should be given to Allen (defensive) and Gerrard (offensive), with Lucas slotting in when fit for one of these two or play 5 across the middle. The problem for the wingers/midfielders has to be resolved as follows: Shelvey on the right and Downing on the left. Henderson DOES NOT FIT anywhere and should be off-loaded in the January window.

Forwards: Sterling to play just behind Suarez, until Borini is fit again (then Sterling can slot back into one of the left or right midfield roles).

A third of the season has now passed. There is no more time for experimenting with each players role in the team. It should be locked in by now. Any non-performers will face replacement either in January or during the Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundLady View Post
    Wow, bunch of knee jerkers over here.

Top 4 isn't even close to gone. The next 7 games are 7 of the most winnable games you could ask for in the Prem, they're against teams outside the top 8. The 3 away ones are tricky, the home ones shouldn't be but might be. Yet there's no reason we can't win 5, 6 or 7 of these. No reason at all. We do that, and we may not only be in the top 4 race by Jan, we may be inside the top 4 by Jan. So let's shut up whining and just do it.

OK after the last few days of disappointment I’ve been thinking about where we really are sitting in terms of this season and the future. We have had some pretty dog s*** calls against us this year that hasn’t helped our ladder position, but really I feel that’s irrelevant we are Liverpool and we shouldn’t be giving the opposition a sniff of a chance to even come close to us despite poor calls.

That being said I do feel like there is a lot of reason for optimism. Maybe not this season but for the future. I think most fans will agree we have been playing very well this season but we are lacking in depth, a finisher and a Defensive Midfielder to cover for Lucas. I for one had been excited when names like Hunterlaar etc have been thrown about as possible additions in January and been a bit negative when I’ve heard that players like Sturridge have been linked with us. But thinking about things long term I think now that we may be better off with a Sturridge like signing than Hunterlaar. I know many will disagree but I think Rodgers and even FSG do have the best intentions at heart with how things have gone.

I think FSG came in not knowing much about the team and trusting Kenny to be able to take us to the top almost instantly by throwing a bit of cash for instant success. It didn’t work. They’ve now realised Liverpool has been like an old dam that has started springing leaks. Kenny, Hodgson and even to an extent Benitez tried patching it only for new leaks to appear. Now Rodgers is building a new dam, a dam that he will know inside out to replace it rather than trying to fix leaks. I think though it is probably hard to accept by most of us and will be frustrating we are building for tomorrow not today. FSG have already outlined their plan to buy young players. I think that means the likes of Hunterlaar, Dempsey won’t ever be in serious consideration unless they are dirt cheap and we don’t get held to ransom over fees and wages and if we were to sign a player like that it would be short contracts whilst we look for a younger better player.

Looking at the season so far and the transfers that happened I think it was intended to start out with a small squad we can build from. Rodgers has come in and cut the deadwood and ageing players out and started again. It sucks, we have been expecting to win the league almost every year and our squad has become more average almost every season. Well now we have stripped back, gotten a very young team without the superstar egos that we have had in the past and are building for the future. Yeah there are better players out there than Borini, Allen, Assaidi etc but if we are able to hold onto our current crop of youngsters and look at a side that we may be able t put out in 5 years time we will look a lot stronger than we have been in years. Our youngsters have very very Bright futures ahead of them and most are years away from hitting their peaks form. Just as food for thought a possible formation in 5 years could look something like this:

===============Gulacsi (27)
    Wisdom (23)===Kelly (27)===Coates (27)===Robinson (23)
    ===============Lucas (30)
    =========Allen (27)
    ======================Suso (23)
    Suarez (30)======================Sterling (22)
    ===============Yesil(23)

Possible Bench players:
    Shelvey (25)
    Henderson (27)
    Flanagan (23)
    Sinclair (21)
    Sama (23)
    Morgan (23)
    Borini (26)
    Coady (23)
    McLaughlin (23)
    Ward (26)

That is still a very young side with most of our creative and dynamic players from that list a couple of years away from their peaks. Add to that the likes of Sturridge, Walcott. Zaha and players of that elk that have been thrown about we have the basis for a very strong side with speed, finishing, skill and the rest. I don’t know about anyone else but I think looking at that squad if we were to play that in a premier league game now I don’t think it would fair much different than how we have been performing lately. I think my only concern would be that they would be a bit lightweight at the moment. Add 5 years experience as well as developing in the same system together I can see us dominating the league & Europe for years. Not to mention once these youngsters have been taught in Rodgers system it will mean we have a great side playing very attractive football that will entice the best players to come to Liverpool.

We just need faith in Rodgers stick with the team over these next couple of years whilst we cut more dead wood, strengthen some more and allow these youngsters to develop. It sucks for the near future but it is looking mighty fine for the years to come. I although I had some huge doubts after the Dempsey saga, I feel FSG may actually have been telling the truth that they have the money to compete with anyone if it is the right target.

I think we have taken that step back that was needed this season so we can take the next 5 or so steps forward in the future. Doesn’t mean I won’t complain, get frustrated, question tactics or team selections, hate life when we lose or draw, but I do think that if I keep the big picture in mind this year and maybe next year may be somewhat easier to swallow.

YNWA

We will reach top 4 again when the contenders burn out. We just need to stablise our club, let the others dig themselves deeper. Im thinking money bags City and Chelsea when their owners lose interest. UTD without fergie. Arsenal without Wenger. Their times are almost up. Who's gonna jump into their places, West Brom? Nah. Us.

I still think we will come 3rd, and I also think we can now win the Europa too!

If you like predicting where we (and others) will finish, I'm running a predictions game, and the deadline for entries is tomorrow... it's on the Games and Chat part of the forum.

The link is below - basically you just predict what will happen across Europe in terms of promotion/relegation in Europe's top leagues. It's hefty but easy, so far we have 15 or so entrants, we're looking for 30.

There WILL be a prize for the winner, something small, sent personally by myself.

Here is the thread, it's on "games and chat", please check it out and if you have a spare 10 mins (or an hour, lol, depending on how seriously you take it), please give it a go before the deadline of NOON tomorrow (Saturday - UK time).

http://forums.liverpoolfc.com/thread...12-13)-XXX-*-*

I'll post something fun on the thread if we manage to get 30 unique entries... unique meaning people who have 500 or more posts on the board already. It's on the free section of the forum so non-paying members can enter too. OH and if you have any friend or relatives that would like to enter, that is fine as well You can post up to 4 entries for other people!

If you enter late, you can still play, it's just a major points penalty. You can enter with a points penalty anytime up to the end of Feb. Now that the Udinese game is over and we know who is through in Europe, it's a great time to get your predictions in.

Also: this is a one-time, enter-and-then-forget-about-it-til-the-end-of-the-season game. But there are also "Can you beat Lawro's Predictions" on Football Discussion, "Stating 11 Predictor", "Pools Game", "Predict The Result", and "Predict The Scorer" games, those are on Games & Chat - all of them are run brilliantly by others, not me, and happen weekly or more - please join in - everyone is welcome

naturalskill is online now First team regular
    In answer to the question in the title of this blog, of course we "can" break into the top four but that will depend on us strengthening the team. The way this season is developing, a couple of excellent attacking additions in January could certainly make the difference and so long as we can forge a potent attack then we can do it.

disco_ted is offline Armchair supporter
    Top 4, NO WAY! Not this year, youll be daft to assume we are going finish top 4, i thinl we have made good progress, however we are along way of, 2 or 3 world class signings, then yes sure we can challenge, but for now, NO!