Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can Liverpool Break Into The Top Four ?

TheSoundLady is online now Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Beat West Ham tomorrow and I won't be the only one saying we're heading for the top 4

Win the next 5 or 6 of 6 and we'll be literally in the top 4.

Food for thought.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundLady View Post
    Beat West Ham tomorrow and I won't be the only one saying we're heading for the top 4

Win the next 5 or 6 of 6 and we'll be literally in the top 4.

Food for thought.
    The unfortunate thing is we haven't done that for years. Over a year since we managed 2 wins on the bounce in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTrilogy View Post
    The unfortunate thing is we haven't done that for years. Over a year since we managed 2 wins on the bounce in the league.
    Very valid point. Some of our performances and indeed results (to a lesser extent) have been fantastic over the past year its just consistency thats letting us down.

gatman02 is offline Armchair supporter
    Of course they can they have been playing excellent footie all year and are now starting to hit the back of the net the sky is the limit as far as I am concerned!! They out played Man Utd and Man City and can beat anyone on their day

Absolutley no way they dont have the consistancy right now, so spurs are 12 points head, Bale is knocking them in for fun, can you really see that.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsc1 View Post
    Absolutley no way they dont have the consistancy right now, so spurs are 12 points head, Bale is knocking them in for fun, can you really see that.
    As things are now no real chance. Spurs and Arsenal are collecting points and we dont. I think we should all stop talking about top 4 at this stage and resume this matter in August.

SpringbokLFC is offline Armchair supporter
    "At the end of the storm, there's a golden sky..." The storm isn't far from over. In Brendan we trust ----- YNWA

seanflint923 is offline Armchair supporter
    I concur there's no real way to expect us to linger into the top 4 the way our form continues to roller coaster. We've made some good adjustments by bringing in the gents we did over the January transfer market, but we still need more strength up the middle. Realistically we should want at least to be in the 6-7 slot at the end of the season, and just hope our glory can be restored sooner rather than later.

d1000nonac is offline Armchair supporter
    In my opinion as liverpudlian, it's too hard to break into the top 4 in this season (2012/2013). If Brendan Rodgers picks the best starting eleven consistently then it would be possible, else if he still make experiment of player combination the it would be a disaster. I don't like if he played all of three young player together such as Henderson, Downing and Jonjo Shelvey, the kop will play worse. The example when the Kop played versus WBA, the three player played together. I said this didn't mean that i don't like them, they were good but their mental still not ready yet especially Shelvey.

Overall, despite of the result from european league and worse performance in BPL, I still love and hope the best for Liverpool.

The poster asks : Can Liverpool break into the top 4? The answer is : Yes.

This season? Highly unlikely. We would have to win our final 11 league games to collect another 33 points which would put us on 72 points. I don't know what the usual points tally is for 4th position but it must be close to 72.

But being realistic, we won't win all 11 games. More likely win 7, draw 2, lose 2, giving us 23 more points, 62 in all, deffo no 4th.

Next season, with some quality aquisitions, it would be more likely to break back into that top 4. As for a title challenge, maybe our current owners could get to know Bill Gates and get him really interested in football (sorry, soccer) and tell him to buy us and bankroll us. Until then we will never win the league again. That pains me to say but it is said with the head not the heart and I would dearly love to be proved wrong.

JeRrYBoY is offline Armchair supporter
    not possible... with BR stubbornness in sticking with allen and his habit of selecting the wrong lineup, pool will never make it into the top 4... allen is just out of his depth in a red shirt... skrtel and johnson should be shown the exit door... if we can shove these 3 players out of the exit door and make some quality purchases from players such as mamadou sakho, dejan lovren, jeremy menez, tom ince, andre ayew, nathaniel clyne, sebastien corchia, marco verratti, yann m'vila, marc-andre ter stegen etc... we should be ready for the top 4... else continue dreaming of CL football with BR at the helm...

Brendan Rodger's decision to drop Lucas, and continue with the ever failing Joe Allen, was baffling, and pretty much handed Southampton three points at St Mary's today before a ball was even kicked.
    Brendan, mate, Allen is barely a Premier player. Presently injured, he has hardly ever reached the great heights of expertise that you've promised. Anonymous for most of the games he plays, he often comes alive just in time to give the ball away.
    It's hard to understand why BR perseveres with Joe Allen, considering the pressure that BR is under to put together a run of decent performances.
    We have gone from a solid midfield in the last few games, to a weakened one. The affect of Brendan continuing to pick Allen must have a determental affect on team spirit.
    Serious consideration, should be given to Jon Jo or Joe Allen ever starting a game. Sterling has been given a rest, because to be honest the hipe that kid was given was just so over the top and overwhelmingly underserved. He's a keeper but hardly anywhere near the standard that Liverpool should be expecting.
    Martin Skrtel continues to stutter, with a Bad loss of form and confidence. Liverpool need desperately to recruit a Cahill type to pair with Agger, with Jamie C, still shining despite the slowing legs.
    Glad to hear Fenway Sports have promised some more money for BR to spend. My advice, if Brendan, comes across a Ron Yates, Ian Callaghan or Rodger Hunt, is to buy them.
    Skrtel, Downing, Allen and Henderson, need to all move up a gear in order to fully contribute to a Liverpool team that could go places, and of the four, Downing and Henderson have improved, but for me, they both could and need to be better. It's nice that Downing and Henderson have score a few goals, not quite the 10 goals a piece that I'd be expecting from each, every season.
    Alonso for Liverpool? Might work for another season or two with Gerrard, notably slowing as each game passes, but I'm slowly coming to the conclusion, that the platform that Liverpool have, with a great goal keeper, two great full backs, a decent Agger, the great Gerrard, and the wonderful Suarez, might not last long enough to see the true potential that they had.

Break into the last four. They couldn't break an egg more than twice in a row.
    YNWA

Its that consistency thing.

I think the problem is the players and possibly the manager believe the hype.

Over confidence from the manager, thinking that it would work replacing the injured Carra with a player that hasn't played for two months and Lucas who also had a 'niggle' with one that isn't even a DM against a team that have been praised for their style of play of pressing high up the pitch.

A tactical brain fart or over confidence.

The player's were obviously over confident too. They started off today expecting it to happen. It didn't. We got mauled.

Until these fundamental flaws are fixed, as this is a regular occurrence of over 4 years, beat a top 4 or 5 team then get made to look like amateurs by a team fighting relegation, we can forget about getting back into the Champions League.

Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and this season Everton are not getting consistently beat by the bottom four, yet we do season after season after season.

We've only managed to take maximum points from one team this season. Norwich is the only team we have beaten home and away.

4 teams left to play we've already beaten, so we have West Ham at home, Reading away, Fulham away and QPR at home.

For a top 4 spot you need to beat a minimum of 9 team home and away and still pick up maximum points from about 4 or 5 other games at least.

We are not even half way there yet.
    Last edited by TeenageMutantNinJaSkrtel; 16-3-13 at 21:13.

LEE-DEE is offline Armchair supporter
    The way things are at the moment then no,,not even next season,,,but with some good buys in the summer and if hold on to suarez then defo got a chance next season.think we got a good base of a team.
    Just hope we aren't saying the same thing this time next season

Quote Originally Posted by JeRrYBoY View Post
    not possible... with BR stubbornness in sticking with allen and his habit of selecting the wrong lineup, pool will never make it into the top 4... allen is just out of his depth in a red shirt... skrtel and johnson should be shown the exit door... if we can shove these 3 players out of the exit door and make some quality purchases from players such as mamadou sakho, dejan lovren, jeremy menez, tom ince, andre ayew, nathaniel clyne, sebastien corchia, marco verratti, yann m'vila, marc-andre ter stegen etc... we should be ready for the top 4... else continue dreaming of CL football with BR at the helm...
    You sir, are a bellend.
    The man that never sleeps

Course we can, the question is.....when?

Quote Originally Posted by Havocstars View Post
    Not a chance, bunch of overpaid morons. Really really bad display, several players do not deserve to wear the shirt.
    Calm Down , Calm Down !

so funny seeing some of the comments on her, where are you all now?

White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by chaferwafer View Post
    so funny seeing some of the comments on her, where are you all now?
    In fairness, most people would have had their doubts.

This season has blown all predictions and expectations to pieces.

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    In fairness, most people would have had their doubts.

This season has blown all predictions and expectations to pieces
    not all

PilisJulin is offline Armchair supporter
    After more than 10 games, I say they would be so lucky if they could stay in the top 10 teams, just above the relegation zone. But, with the way they play right now, I'm sure LFC will join the championship side next season! To make it worse, I won't be able to watch LFC game on TV over here in Malaysia because they only show BPL.

zepol2487 is offline Armchair supporter
    We can, but not with this players. Liverpool need a good center foward like Tevez, Higuain or Benzema. And a middle for the pressing. With a good center foward the team can change this championship. Suarez and Sturridge.. i miss you guys..

Quote Originally Posted by zepol2487 View Post
    We can, but not with this players. Liverpool need a good center foward like Tevez, Higuain or Benzema. And a middle for the pressing. With a good center foward the team can change this championship. Suarez and Sturridge.. i miss you guys..
    Lets be Realistic. Top 4 with such performances. ??? No way. We are only a few points distance from the relegation Zone.

Unbelievable posts from last season. People thinking that Rodgers has only been criticised this season need to read this. These are serial Rodgers haters no less.

The same sort of serial complainers are ready to moan if we have a bad game against Arsenal. Even if they still support LFC?? Its never anything constructive its always players are over paid or not fit to wear the shirt.
    Atleast if they made good points why they thougt team was bad. Allen was a decent point he is average but give the chap a break. Can see us finishing 5th or 6th this year unfortunetly. Next season needs to be alot better the team is rebuiling lets be honest

no they cant we cant defend

pd84 is offline Armchair supporter
    We have suffered so badly with the loss of Suarez & Sturridge - so badly, infact, that this topic has been dredged from a couple of seasons ago when we were having a similar struggle while the team found it's feet. Back to square one.

That's essentially what's happening now. New players are learning the style of Rodgers' football, we're working out what works and what doesn't - it's a complete re-build that's been difficult to accept after the achievements of last season.

To get fourth in 2014/15, we'd need to go on a similar run as we did late last season. To do that, we need more clinical finishing, a new keeper and to basically support the team. With a mainstream media that spends the majority of it's time forcing a Manchester United revival down our throats, we need everyone around the club to keep the momentum and the confidence going to help drive the team and the manager. We shouldn't underestimate the psychological side of football.

There's a run of games now that we could quite possibly get maximum points from. Hopefully this period would see the return of Sturridge and includes the January transfer window which may bring us a new keeper.

King7Kenny777 is offline Armchair supporter
    Personally I think we'll be stronger in the 2nd half of the season, even if this made for depressing reading earlier for me.

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/rea...s-in-2015/6390

RISULAMET is offline Armchair supporter
    Yes, Liverpool can break into the top four as long as no more important team player injured like what happened with Sturidge

Quote Originally Posted by RISULAMET View Post
    Yes, Liverpool can break into the top four as long as no more important team player injured like what happened with Sturidge
    I hope and pray that is true but the performance against Burnley tells me we really are in trouble this season. As long as BR is unwilling to refresh his squad and his tactics, we really are going to have a miserable season.

I really am baffled why BR keeps playing Stevie for 2, even 3 games in a week for 90 minutes. In what way will Stevie be diminished if he plays one game 90 minutes, the other for 45 to 60 minutes and came for the 3rd as an impact sub for 20 minutes? He's 35 for God's sake! Also, why is BR playing 3-4-3 in a dogmatic fashion? Why can't he adapt his tactical formation to the opposition? I'm seriously starting to have doubts about his managerial acumen.