Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Delusion that we've deserved more than what we've got this season.

1. #1 Crest The Delusion that we've deserved more than what we've got this season. 
    Dunno about you, but I'm sick & tired of TV pundits on LFCTV & fans on shows like Kop Talkin' going on about how great we're playing & we don't deserve to be where we are in the table. Sorry to name names but Jason Mcateer is the biggest culprit of sun-shinning. But i love it when David fairclough & Roy Evans are on because they don't hold back they tell it like it is from old school shanks days.

Here are the most typical points on our season so far spoken about on TV:

> Opposition keepers are just too good

> We just have no luck

> The ref was terrible

> We just need a 'natural' goalscorer

> the squads not big enough

I realize that sometimes we can use the above reasons, however those reasons should surely ONLY be used if all of our players are doing all they can to score goals & win matches. But quite frankly most of it is utter crap. Just excuses. I've been harping on about this for the last few years & Brian Reade also talked about this but we get NO PLAYERS INTO THE BOX!

It drives me crazy thinking how many goals/points we could have got if players would run into the box instead of pussy footing on the edge of the box just 'hoping' something would happen. People were knocking Mark Laurenson's views on MOTD talking about this but i have to 100% agree with him (& i dnt normally do).

Don't get me wrong i still 100% back Brendan Rodgers & i always believe in judging a manager at the end of the season, however he has to sort it out because at this rate we won't even be in the race for fourth.

The players need to look at videos & realise they're not far off they just need to position themselves further up the pitch. Makes me so angry that people say we need this so called 'natural' goal scorer as if it's rocket science, what a load of nonsense! Dirk Kuyt scored a hat trick against Man UTD a few seasons back would you call him a natural goal scorer? Where was he standing when he scored all 3 goals? Right on the 6 yard box knowing that he was bound to get a chance.

This season apart from the Norwich game I've hardly seen any of our players busting a gut to get right into the box to score some goals. We are overly conservative & Gerrard & Allen have been the worst culprits although unfortunately B-Rod has told Gerrard to sit back which i think is criminal.

I don't like to compliment Man UTD & Fergie but the one thing they do better than every other team in the world is they throw the kitchin sink at teams! Which means they don't pass the ball 20 times sideways & backwards for the sake of passing it, they pass & move forward as a team that's why they score so many goals. We're not doing that & it breaks my heart because we could so push up the table but our players waste so much time just passing the ball around & it drives me nuts.

You get what you earn in football, I hope Brendan Rodgers identifies these issues because i want to believe..

YNWA.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

DurhamRed2011 is offline Academy prospect
    Not so much a delusion, more excuse-hunting.

We have been playing better than our results suggest but we dont deserve anything if we dont score the goals needed to win the game.

WirralRiddler is online now These posts brought to you by Dr Dre & Only Fools & Horses appreciation society
    Not just me then.

Quote Originally Posted by rayvonuk View Post
    We have been playing better than our results suggest but we dont deserve anything if we dont score the goals needed to win the game.
    Sums it up nicely.

Some play has been good ... But if you make mistakes at the back and don't score enough at the front then 'deserving' doesn't come into it.

Gerrard was asked after the arsenal game if the team were worried. He said no because they were playing well. Didn't know whether to see such an attitude as a positive or a negative.

Perhaps they need to show a bit more urgency and desire to win these games. Because if the mindset is 'We played well so it's ok, we'll get it next week' then they need a hoof in the arse because after 9 months of that the penny should've dropped for some of them. Playing 'well' is nice as long as the points tally reflects it.

holywood is online now Community Moderator
    We have been on the receiving end of many poor decisions this year.

Interesting that you admire United, who are in essence, a terrible footballing side.

I found the guys on Kop Talkin' quite refreshing to be honest. They were optimistic and happy with our team. Im sick of the same excuses such as 'their keeper was world class today' etc but I am also sick of hearing how rubbish we are!

We are not playing great keepers every week and we are not rubbish. This is not a black and white issue and I think the honest, yet optimistic supporters are looking at the shades of grey rather sensibly.

MaxB is online now nimble, MaxB quick
    Quote Originally Posted by holywood View Post

Interesting that you admire United, who are in essence, a terrible footballing side.
    There a good footballing side, as are we but he pointed out the major difference between us in the op

gingeZizou82 is offline Academy prospect
    Apparently the gods have been against us since Rafa left and we've deserved alot more.

Some people need to tell themselves these sort of things to keep coming back and watching us fall short time and time again. Each to their own.

TheDarknessIsCalling is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by DurhamRed2011 View Post
    Not so much a delusion, more excuse-hunting.
    I was checking to see if this thread wasn't bumped from last season or the season before.....................

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    I was checking to see if this thread wasn't bumped from last season or the season before.....................
    Seriously, same ole same ole. Unfortunately there is no column in the table for "Deserved To" only Wins, Losses and Draws.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxB View Post
    There a good footballing side, as are we but he pointed out the major difference between us in the op
    No, they're not a good footballing side and they are laboured in possession and lack creativity. However, they do have an ability to pull results out of the bag, which must be admired. I certainly would not seek to implement that blueprint here, we should be able to penetrate and attack from the beginning, not rely upon set pieces or last ten minute flurries.

ZonalMarked is offline Community Moderator
    penetrate and attack from the beginning
    I like this

I prefer "rough, tough and selfish" though...

Quote Originally Posted by ZonalMarked View Post
    I like this

I prefer "rough, tough and selfish" though...

Most of our wounds are self inflicted but to suggest that we didn't play well enough to get results at certain times is naive. We've thrown away leads to City, United, and Udinese. We've also played with 10 men for huge chunks of the game in 2 of our first 7 matches.

We're obviously not a top team. That much should be obvious when we field such young and inexperienced squads but we've also been good enough to win games. It's relatively marginal, which is why we don't consistently get the results, but we've absolutely been the better team and not come away with the win.

I'm not convinced by Rodgers. All this tikka takka stuff.

I mean the passing game is the norm in the Prem and has been for some considerable time.

Hard tackling has been outlawed for some time. Pass 'n' move is part & Parcel of the game.

If Rodgers thinks he is somehow going to take the Prem by storm by this wondeful new passing game he is sadly mistaken.

the only think that will get LFC back in contention will be the quality of his signings and the quality of the players here and those comimg thru.

Rodgers tactics and motivation will play a part but he will live and die by the quality of his signings.

Thebeastyboy is online now Academy prospect
    No, they're not a good footballing side and they are laboured in possession and lack creativity. However, they do have an ability to pull results out of the bag, which must be admired. I certainly would not seek to implement that blueprint here, we should be able to penetrate and attack from the beginning, not rely upon set pieces or last ten minute flurries.
    I agree and they weren't even that great a side last season either - they just know how to pull results out the bag! They have already lost 2 games this season and could easily have lost to Southampton, actually they deserved to lose to Southampton. They have some tough games coming up, let's see how they cope!

If results were decided on passes completed we'd be top of the league....

But they aren't.

I'm optimistic though.

Quote Originally Posted by ShanklyFowler View Post
    Dunno about you, but I'm sick & tired of TV pundits on LFCTV & fans on shows like Kop Talkin' going on about how great we're playing & we don't deserve to be where we are in the table. Sorry to name names but Jason Mcateer is the biggest culprit of sun-shinning. But i love it when David fairclough & Roy Evans are on because they don't hold back they tell it like it is from old school shanks days.

Here are the most typical points on our season so far spoken about on TV:

> Opposition keepers are just too good

> We just have no luck

> The ref was terrible

> We just need a 'natural' goalscorer

> the squads not big enough

I realize that sometimes we can use the above reasons, however those reasons should surely ONLY be used if all of our players are doing all they can to score goals & win matches. But quite frankly most of it is utter crap. Just excuses. I've been harping on about this for the last few years & Brian Reade also talked about this but we get NO PLAYERS INTO THE BOX!

It drives me crazy thinking how many goals/points we could have got if players would run into the box instead of pussy footing on the edge of the box just 'hoping' something would happen. People were knocking Mark Laurenson's views on MOTD talking about this but i have to 100% agree with him (& i dnt normally do).

Don't get me wrong i still 100% back Brendan Rodgers & i always believe in judging a manager at the end of the season, however he has to sort it out because at this rate we won't even be in the race for fourth.

The players need to look at videos & realise they're not far off they just need to position themselves further up the pitch. Makes me so angry that people say we need this so called 'natural' goal scorer as if it's rocket science, what a load of nonsense! Dirk Kuyt scored a hat trick against Man UTD a few seasons back would you call him a natural goal scorer? Where was he standing when he scored all 3 goals? Right on the 6 yard box knowing that he was bound to get a chance.

This season apart from the Norwich game I've hardly seen any of our players busting a gut to get right into the box to score some goals. We are overly conservative & Gerrard & Allen have been the worst culprits although unfortunately B-Rod has told Gerrard to sit back which i think is criminal.

I don't like to compliment Man UTD & Fergie but the one thing they do better than every other team in the world is they throw the kitchin sink at teams! Which means they don't pass the ball 20 times sideways & backwards for the sake of passing it, they pass & move forward as a team that's why they score so many goals. We're not doing that & it breaks my heart because we could so push up the table but our players waste so much time just passing the ball around & it drives me nuts.

You get what you earn in football, I hope Brendan Rodgers identifies these issues because i want to believe..

YNWA.
    Very good post, very well put. There are none so blind as those who don't want to see. We need someone in the Shankly Paisely mould to tell it like it is.

This is LFC, not some yo-yo club just come into the league.

In the real sports world, if you have a whole of possession and can't score goals, one normally gets players who can. if that doesn't work, the manager is fired.

WE ARE NOT PLAYING WELL, OUR FINISHING IS PATHETIC, WE CAN'T SCORE GOALS, AND WE DON'T AS YOU SAID THROW THE WHOLE BOOK AT OUR OPPONENTS. WE SHOULD BE DOING THIS.

Stop looking at Stevie for a scapegoat. Every time he speaks he's very PC because he can't say what he wants to.

Bottom line we need to score goals and get players who can, or else. Time BR got his **** together on the training pitch re technique at scoring goals, not just just passing. Come Jan if there isn't a marked improvement in our playing performance and results, then his experiment is over.

Quote Originally Posted by noeyedear View Post
    I'm not convinced by Rodgers. All this tikka takka stuff.

I mean the passing game is the norm in the Prem and has been for some considerable time.

Hard tackling has been outlawed for some time. Pass 'n' move is part & Parcel of the game.

If Rodgers thinks he is somehow going to take the Prem by storm by this wondeful new passing game he is sadly mistaken.

the only think that will get LFC back in contention will be the quality of his signings and the quality of the players here and those comimg thru.

Rodgers tactics and motivation will play a part but he will live and die by the quality of his signings.
    Agreed. Rodgers hasn't got anything new we haven't had or done. He needs to get on with winning and that means using a winning psychology and let the players just go out and do it that is WIN.

Quote Originally Posted by redfoot View Post
    Agreed. Rodgers hasn't got anything new we haven't had or done. He needs to get on with winning and that means using a winning psychology and let the players just go out and do it that is WIN.
    I'm sure our taining sessions aren't focused around the arts of losing! You cannot put 20 years of mismanagement on Rodgers. Any manager needs time and yes, fair enough Roy wasn't given that time, but he was so clearly out of his depth. If you think there is a mystery man that is going to come in and instanlty turn us into world beaters again, you're seriously mistaken.

Still, there's always the Passing World Cup next year.

Isn't there?

Refs treat us like ****e

The truth - we can move and pass to so called dominate in a clumsy manner. But the problem is lack of quality footballers who pass FAST AND ACCURATE in pressure final 3rd like arsenal, mancs and chelsea do.

just admit it and you will feel better and just discuss about other more crucial stuff like will FSG fund proper transfer in January finally (as in competitive wage for top players)......hmmm. maybe not.

CKReds1892 is offline Academy prospect

Worse footballing team this season and when we played then, we outplayed united only for some poor decisions to go united way

Imagine if we had the same decisions as united had this season, the table would look much different

Quote Originally Posted by CKReds1892 View Post
    Worse footballing team this season and when we played then, we outplayed united only for some poor decisions to go united way

Imagine if we had the same decisions as united had this season, the table would look much different
    Not even the treatment that United get, just imagine how different it would look if we were given FAIR decisions.

Could well be 8-9 points better off and that's not even exaggerating.

Refereeing, particularly against Suarez this season has been criminal.

You reap what you sew, we are in the position we are in for reasons not excuses. We know that, BR knows that, the owners now that and the whole football globe knows it. It needs addressing sooner than later or we won't be able to attract good players in order to move on, we have a limited budget already.

If you shift out all your goalscorers and don't replace them, you're going to struggle to score goals.

Scoring goals gets you points.

It really isn't rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by DurhamRed2011 View Post
    If you shift out all your goalscorers and don't replace them, you're going to struggle to score goals.

Scoring goals gets you points.

It really isn't rocket science.
    This. I can't believe the owners and even BR as their coach couldn't work this one out.