Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mark Clattenburg and Manchester United

lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Quote Originally Posted by shody1976 View Post
    We desperately need video technology. Decisions today and yesterday in the Arsenal game could then have been called correctly.
    The problem with video is the interuption of the flow of the game. I bet if they do roll it out, it will be slowly and half what is needed. By that, I mean plays like todays where it was a clear goal and called off sides, will still be like this. They will only review and overturn if they initially call it a goal, then come back and wave it off for off sides.

The game will already be stopped for celebration, and they can just spot kick the ball for the offsides or what have you. Todays decision will still be made the same way if they have review technology.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by DeanCoombes View Post
    I've said before, I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but Chelsea v Man Utd today was the first time Mark Clattenberg has officiated a Manchester United game since their 6-1 loss to Manchester City, which Alex Ferguson called "the biggest embarrassment" of his career.

Today Clattenberg (and his linesmen) made several shocking calls which totally changed the shape of the game. Torres was sent off for diving when Chelsea were already down to 10 men, despite the fact Evans made contact with him, and Hernandez's winner was clearly offside.

I don't actually believe that referees intentionally help Man Utd win games, but there are days (like today) when they make it really, really hard not to think about it

Today has being 2 good games but Both Tragic Referring in both.
    Absolutely,certainly legitimate talking point,******* scum

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    The problem with video is the interuption of the flow of the game. I bet if they do roll it out, it will be slowly and half what is needed. By that, I mean plays like todays where it was a clear goal and called off sides, will still be like this. They will only review and overturn if they initially call it a goal, then come back and wave it off for off sides.

The game will already be stopped for celebration, and they can just spot kick the ball for the offsides or what have you. Todays decision will still be made the same way if they have review technology.
    It adds 30 seconds, which is sometimes the average amount of time for a free-kick near the edge of the box, a corner, or even a throw in sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanCoombes View Post
    I've said before, I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but Chelsea v Man Utd today was the first time Mark Clattenberg has officiated a Manchester United game since their 6-1 loss to Manchester City, which Alex Ferguson called "the biggest embarrassment" of his career.

Today Clattenberg (and his linesmen) made several shocking calls which totally changed the shape of the game. Torres was sent off for diving when Chelsea were already down to 10 men, despite the fact Evans made contact with him, and Hernandez's winner was clearly offside.

I don't actually believe that referees intentionally help Man Utd win games, but there are days (like today) when they make it really, really hard not to think about it

Today has being 2 good games but Both Tragic Referring in both.

Blah, blah, blah!

Boring!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede View Post
    Blah, blah, blah!

Boring!!
    No its not,its becoming a joke,are you blind and its a serious talking point.

Quote Originally Posted by No Angel View Post
    No its not,its becoming a joke,are you blind and its a serious talking point.

No it isn't. You let you hatred for Utd and your LFC bias influence you!

Rubbish,both have serious talking points,massive to the league and we brush them aside as human error,**** that,utd are scum and get majority of favors,we Liverpool are so,so unlucky is cant just be chance,or error anymore.

That may be true, but that doesn't take away the fact thet both games were badly reffed.

cravenz is online now Community Moderator
    AF on Torres' red:

“Did he intend to dive? He didn’t choose to go on [running],” he told Sky Sports.

“I think Jonny may have just caught him a little bit, but you can either carry on running, which he could have done, but he chose to go down.

“He could have carried on and scored - that’s what I don’t understand. I would never have missed that chance to go through. I would have taken it anytime.

“I would never have gone down, but he did go down and that’s the issue, and he’s already been booked, so it’s his own fault.”
    Jaap Stam on AF's tactics:

"It's got to the stage where he has even told us: 'Don't try and stay on your feet if you're in the box and get a slight kick," Stam revealed in his autobiography being serialised in the Mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawbreaker View Post
    It adds 30 seconds, which is sometimes the average amount of time for a free-kick near the edge of the box, a corner, or even a throw in sometimes.
    And an awful lot of 'celebrations' take a full minute before a game re-starts

Its ridiculous to say there isn't enough time for video technology.

TheSoundLady is online now Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddes View Post
    And an awful lot of 'celebrations' take a full minute before a game re-starts

Its ridiculous to say there isn't enough time for video technology.
    Not to mention the time that would be saved because people wouldn't dive and waste time when there was no contact, because there would be stiff retrospective punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by cravenz View Post
    AF on Torres' red:
    Great post. That's the kind of man he is. At least Moyes was honest after the game. Ferguson thinks if he denies the bias and unfairness then nobody will remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by cravenz View Post
    AF on Torres' red:

I hate that alky ****!

kickthetyres is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by BFT
    Did he intend to dive? He didn’t choose to go on [running],” he told Sky Sports.

“I think Jonny may have just caught him a little bit, but you can either carry on running, which he could have done, but he chose to go down.

“He could have carried on and scored - that’s what I don’t understand. I would never have missed that chance to go through. I would have taken it anytime.

“I would never have gone down, but he did go down and that’s the issue, and he’s already been booked, so it’s his own fault.”
    What a load of fatuous waffle, sidesteps the point that Evans caught him and concentrates solely on the fact that he could have stayed on his feet. Whether he could or not doesn't alter the fact that he got caught and it should have been a free kick to Chelsea.

It is a few seasons ago now but Clattenburg gave some rather dubious decisions to us in a derby match that we won. So I don't think our refs are necessarily biased but they are influenced by the crowd and reactions (or over reactions) of players and the general media view of a player's behaviour to some extent.

Two exciting games were ruined by poor decisions by the respective referees today and don't forget Arsenal's goal yesterday as well. There are plenty of arguments about the speed and flow of the game being affected if we introduce video technology as part of the game. And, occasionally, video replays are still inconclusive. But in the main they will provide an aid to officials

I say it's time to at least give it a full test in a tournament and then we can all see how it impacts the game.

Without it we'll continue to see games spoiled because the officials are not given any help whilst the millions watching on TV can see whether they were right or wrong within seconds (in the main).

It doesn't have to add 30 seconds... this is one of the biggest money spinners in entertainment... we could invest a tiny bit of that into a really fancy video replay room where several well trained officials can instantly see anything from any angle (just like we can on TV) and instantly communicate the correct decision to the ref. It could be done in 2-3 seconds sometimes, 5 seconds mostly, 10 seconds tops. Decisions often take a few seconds anyway... sometimes they take 30 seconds to think about what card to give, and consult with linesmen and such. It's hardly going to add any time but it's going to make the game transparent and fair. IF that's what they want.

shody1976 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post

Interruption to the flow of the game shouldn't be an issue for you!

I'm only really advocating video tech for decisions like we've seen today and penalty incidents. If we had video tech in the game, the 3 major offside incidents we've seen this weekend would all have been called correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundLady View Post
    It doesn't have to add 30 seconds... this is one of the biggest money spinners in entertainment... we could invest a tiny bit of that into a really fancy video replay room where several well trained officials can instantly see anything from any angle (just like we can on TV) and instantly communicate the correct decision to the ref. It could be done in 2-3 seconds sometimes, 5 seconds mostly, 10 seconds tops. Decisions often take a few seconds anyway... sometimes they take 30 seconds to think about what card to give, and consult with linesmen and such. It's hardly going to add any time but it's going to make the game transparent and fair. IF that's what they want.
    Sure. My point is that the maximum it will add is 30 seconds, and that itself is almost imperceptible when seeing the interruptions within games we already have. Anyway, started a thread regarding it, so I feel like I'm repeating myself a bit too much today.

Sure. My point is that the maximum it will add is 30 seconds, and that itself is almost imperceptible when seeing the interruptions within games we already have. Anyway, started a thread regarding it, so I feel like I'm repeating myself a bit too much today.
    It needs to be repeated until it's implemented, you're absolutely right.

CharlieManson is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundLady View Post
    Its clear as day what goes on in this league, it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by JoninHo View Post
    The last person who tried to fight this case (Rafa) got ridiculed by the press. It's may have led to people starting to lose faith in him a little, questioning whether he's gone mad.

We all know its dodgy, this is just another example in a long long long list. Nothing can be changed now, he's a Sir, so he's untouchable. He's had years of building the up the relationships he needs to to have full control on how things work in English football.

The referees are too scared, the FA can't undermine a Sir. He's got a great track record but the way he's achieved it will always anger football fans.

Nothing we can do about it.
    Yes there is.

If there is a bias at work, be it deliberate or unconscious, the statistics will demonstrate it.

My concern is that there is a guy on here who posted links to a blog with some interesting stats on it. He effectively predicted Clattenburgh's 'leaning'. I'd mentally written him off as a rant - but now? May be he has something.

His premise is that over the years the practise of not antagonising managers who complain against refs (by not allocating them to their matches) has gradually turned in to something that refs recognise as being unwise to give decisions that don't help united - if they want a top flight refs Carree.

Quote Originally Posted by Liversox View Post
    Who is it that can take on the F.A though? Who can people voice their concerns to?

My guess is no one, and so there will be a utd chairman on the board at the F.A for a long time to come and these kind of results will continue to come about because of scared refs.

I long for the day one of them has enough balls to say 'right that's it' and spills the beans about all the rubbish that we know goes on behind the scenes.....Only then will we get football back.
    The billionaire owners surely can do this. Their investments is being shred into pieces through incompetence and biased officials

Quote Originally Posted by JoninHo View Post
    The last person who tried to fight this case (Rafa) got ridiculed by the press. It's may have led to people starting to lose faith in him a little, questioning whether he's gone mad.

We all know its dodgy, this is just another example in a long long long list. Nothing can be changed now, he's a Sir, so he's untouchable. He's had years of building the up the relationships he needs to to have full control on how things work in English football.

The referees are too scared, the FA can't undermine a Sir. He's got a great track record but the way he's achieved it will always anger football fans.

Nothing we can do about it.
    Jimmy Savile was a "sir" look what a low life he turned out to be!