Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Defence? What's LFC's best defensive lineup and why?

1. #1 Carra Best Defence? What's LFC's best defensive lineup and why? 
    The manager rang the changes at the weekend as Jamie Carragher was brought into the starting line-up alongside Agger, Wisdom and Johnson to help to marshal the defence. With Brad Jones filling in for Pepe Reina and injury stopping Jose Enrique from building on a good start to the season the new look line-up earned a clean sheet with some impressive performances adding to the managers options.

If you were Brendan Rodgers and all players were fit what would be your favoured defensive line-up and why? Would you stay with the established players or bring Sebastian Coates into the starting line-up? Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson have both featured at full back, would you try this again? What about the formation, it it always a back four or would you try 3 at the back with a pair of attacking wing-backs?

Over to you, the best comments may feature on LiverpoolFC.Com later in the week!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

I still think that despite his age Jamie Carragher is the best leader & organiser of a defence we have. He's been very good every time I have seen him play this season, and for me I would start him alongside Agger. Johnson & Enrique when available are our best choice full backs without doubt.

We need to sign another defender.

Until then Carragher and Agger partnership with Johnson and Enrique as the full backs. Without Carragher there is no leadership at the back.

Skrtel and Agger are still the first choice in the center for me. Carragher has been in good form but I can never rest assure when he is in defense, always fearing that he will make a mistake or score an own goal. Against bigger strikers like Benteke Coates or a new CB should play as Skrtel and Agger has shown to be weak against such strikers. For full backs Johnson should be on the right for me as he is a far more potent attacking threat there than on the left. Enrique would be first choice in left back for me has he has recaptured his good form from last season. If Enrique is out Robinson should play as he is definitely good enough and keep Johnson on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fas-t View Post
    We need to sign another defender.

Until then Carragher and Agger partnership with Johnson and Enrique as the full backs. Without Carragher there is no leadership at the back.
    Agreed people forget easy how much Carragher are BOSS.

A Pacey powerful CB alongside Agger, with Johnson on the right and Enrique (for now) on the left.

I've never rated Skrtel and he'd be my back up option.

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    A Pacey powerful CB alongside Agger, with Johnson on the right and Enrique (for now) on the left.

I've never rated Skrtel and he'd be my back up option.
    We need a new central defender and we need a better left back in reality. Martin Kelly fit surely would get a run at centre back. Carragher aside our best natural defender but he's quick, strong and good in the air with it.

I'm certain Wisdom will make a good centre back too. In fairness I'd rather see Kelly (fit) or Wisdom line up centre back alongside Carragher or Agger now than Skrtel.

I think we have to me more adaptable and use a defence that's suitable for whichever opposition we're playing against but I am a big fan of wingbacks even if it has fallen out of favour over the last 10-15 years. I'm not talking a strict 3-5-2 something closer to a 2-5-3 is what I think would work best for us. I'd have Agger and Skrtle at centreback augmented by Lucas as defensive midfield in front of them with Johnson and Enrique pushing forward up the wings as much as possible. In reality that's quite close to how we do play when all of those players are available. I think there's strengths and weaknesses with all formations but Johnson and Enrique both have natural attacking instincts along with the stamina needed to get up and down the pitch so we get more bodies in midfield, an area where most of the teams we play try and pack as a defensive tactic.
    Rarely do any teams come to try and play football and even those that do tend to have no more than one striker directly up front but even if Johnson or Enrique get caught up the pitch and out of position, Lucas can drop deeper to do the covering.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    We need a new central defender and we need a better left back in reality. Martin Kelly fit surely would get a run at centre back. Carragher aside our best natural defender but he's quick, strong and good in the air with it.

I'm certain Wisdom will make a good centre back too. In fairness I'd rather see Kelly (fit) or Wisdom line up centre back alongside Carragher or Agger now than Skrtel.
    Personally, i don't see either of Kelly or Wisdom fitting that bill. A William Gallas of old is needed, REAL pace. A quartet of Agger, Gallas Mk2, Kelly/Wisdom, Skrtel would do for me.

Johnson - Skrtel - Agger - Enrique (in my opinion)

Right now Enrique and Skrtel aren't on their best form so they're not playing. I think Rodgers is doing it right. I know people don't like to see the defense get rotated but it's either that or keep in your better player on paper who isn't performing well. Which isn't a good idea.

Personally, i don't see either of Kelly or Wisdom fitting that bill. A William Gallas of old is needed, REAL pace. A quartet of Agger, Gallas Mk2, Kelly/Wisdom, Skrtel would do for me.
    In all honesty I'd love a young William Gallas. That pace, that ability one v one would be perfect. Though I see Martin Kelly and Wisdom doing that role much better than Skrtel and Agger. If you watch full backs are often exposed one v one against pacey wingers.

It requires a lot of ability one v one as a centre back to play full back. Kelly was superb rarely was he beaten. Wisdom again exceptional one v one so far at right back. Positionally he's been caught but who doesn't as a young defender.

Now what happened when Skrtel played right back? Do you remember that horror show at White Hart Lane? Whereas in the return game at Anfield Bale switched to right wing because he couldn't get past Kelly.

That ability in one v one situations is essential if you want to push up and advance full backs. It's why Real Madrid converted Sergio Ramos from full back to centre back. It's why Barcelona converted Puyol. It's why Gallas and Thuram whilst operating as full backs ended up as central defenders.

It's why Skrtel can't continue here. Agger isn't quick or good one v one so that means neither are and with both full backs pushing up. Dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-CM View Post
    The manager rang the changes at the weekend as Jamie Carragher was brought into the starting line-up alongside Agger, Wisdom and Johnson to help to marshal the defence. With Brad Jones filling in for Pepe Reina and injury stopping Jose Enrique from building on a good start to the season the new look line-up earned a clean sheet with some impressive performances adding to the managers options.

If you were Brendan Rodgers and all players were fit what would be your favoured defensive line-up and why? Would you stay with the established players or bring Sebastian Coates into the starting line-up? Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson have both featured at full back, would you try this again? What about the formation, it it always a back four or would you try 3 at the back with a pair of attacking wing-backs?

Over to you, the best comments may feature on LiverpoolFC.Com later in the week!
    Reina

Johnson---Wisdom---Agger---Enrique

Quote Originally Posted by Jesal View Post
    Reina

Johnson---Wisdom---Agger---Enrique
    It is interesting. Depending on how we fare in the league maybe it should be given a go if we have little to play for near the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Campos View Post
    It is interesting. Depending on how we fare in the league maybe it should be given a go if we have little to play for near the end of the season.
    Yeah I don't rate Skrtel much, and Agger at least has some stand out qualities.

Wisdom really could be the answer at CB. I think that's why Rodgers is integrating him into the team at RB, just to get him fast-tracked and used to the PL.

What about Kelly? I personally rate him over Wisdom.

Does anybody think Joleon Lescott would be a good signing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesal View Post
    Yeah I don't rate Skrtel much, and Agger at least has some stand out qualities.

Wisdom really could be the answer at CB. I think that's why Rodgers is integrating him into the team at RB, just to get him fast-tracked and used to the PL.
    Possibly. He does look like the type of defender to take us to the next level over the coming years. I hope he can continue developing.

Quote Originally Posted by xDanLFC7 View Post

I like Kelly too, especially as a CB where I think he could be great. He should really have been played there a bit more often though by now. I think his injuries might have an impact too I'm afraid.

If any of our youngsters deserve a chance to get a few games at centre back, its Kelly.

Kelly is strong, athletic and fast. Really good player, it's just a shame that he's so injury prone. I think Kelly makes quite poor decisions in the final third and he can be a little awkward on the ball unless he is running at players. But he'd probably get better at that with age and experience. Hopefully he can come back and continue to develop. It's really tough when you get bad injuries at a young age though, the worst time for it really. It can make or break your whole career.

LFCDynamic is offline Newcomer of the Year
    In all honesty I'd love a young William Gallas. That pace, that ability one v one would be perfect. Though I see Martin Kelly and Wisdom doing that role much better than Skrtel and Agger. If you watch full backs are often exposed one v one against pacey wingers.

It requires a lot of ability one v one as a centre back to play full back. Kelly was superb rarely was he beaten. Wisdom again exceptional one v one so far at right back. Positionally he's been caught but who doesn't as a young defender.

Now what happened when Skrtel played right back? Do you remember that horror show at White Hart Lane? Whereas in the return game at Anfield Bale switched to right wing because he couldn't get past Kelly.

That ability in one v one situations is essential if you want to push up and advance full backs. It's why Real Madrid converted Sergio Ramos from full back to centre back. It's why Barcelona converted Puyol. It's why Gallas and Thuram whilst operating as full backs ended up as central defenders.

It's why Skrtel can't continue here. Agger isn't quick or good one v one so that means neither are and with both full backs pushing up. Dangerous.
    So you're saying, we should not play Skrtel or Agger at the back!?

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by LFCDynamic View Post
    .............again!

Time will tell if Kelly, Wisdom or both can be our future CBs. For me this is not an area needing serious addressing, better defensive organisation would reduce goals conceded whereas organising attackers to create and score more goals doesn't work. I'd like to see us scout about and bring someone in, but not a big money signing and not as a priority. We got Agger and Skrtel for around 6m each, we should try doing it again. No reason Carra can't play more of a role in the league.

I have to agree with him though.

Agger and Skrtl are very poor in 1v1 situations

I have to agree with him though.

Agger and Skrtl are very poor in 1v1 situations

In that aspect Coates is brilliant.. Simply put...
    He's brave going into the tackle and has done well in what I've seen of him in one v one if memory serves right. I'm sure I wouldn't find "Coates one v one" on youtube or any other source, so all you can do is trust me on this, I can't prove it to you...

But, I'd like to go with three at the back again and see how it goes maybe against Oldham..

Skrtel..Coates..Wisdom

Johnson...................Downing

...................Lucas

...............Gerrard...Henderson

...............Borini Sturridge

We need to keep the team as similar as possible, in order to see continued progression and gelling of the team. The more the team plays together the better they get and the more they breed confidence. Since we have an entire week before Oldham anyway, I would like to see the above team in action...

Over all, Kelly and Wisdom have done well - but i think that your evaluation of them (IMO) is ott

Over all, Kelly and Wisdom have done well - but i think that your evaluation of them (IMO) is ott
    what's ott?

what's ott?
    Over the top - i think Wisdom for a young lad has done well and Kelly despite stagnating a bit after a good start has also done well. But Superb and Exceptional in one on ones i woudn't agree with.

Over the top - i think Wisdom for a young lad has done well and Kelly despite stagnating a bit after a good start has also done well. But Superb and Exceptional in one on ones i woudn't agree with.
    oh...

Actually I agree with coach on that, I think Kelly is exceptional, as for Wisdom, I haven't seen enough of him yet....

CKReds1892 is offline Academy prospect
    -------------------Pepe---------------------
    johnson----sktrel--------agger-------jose
    --------------------Lucas--------------------

Pepe is the best goalkeeper we have
    Johnson/jose are the best full backs at the club
    Sktrel/agger are the best centre halfs.....
    and lucas

Kelly for me has enough ability to make it as RB or CB for me at this club.
    Unfotunitely, I don't see him becoming a major player for us simply because of his injury problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurenai View Post
    Kelly for me has enough ability to make it as RB or CB for me at this club.
    Unfotunitely, I don't see him becoming a major player for us simply because of his injury problems.
    If he stays fot next season he has every chance of stayin here and stayin strong