Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Books Thread

Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    The actual torture is not in the books. I don't think he appeared in book 3 but by book 4 we know he was at the Dreadfort Hilton when he is now known as Reek rhymes with Meek
    Dreadfort Hilton - lovely
    I think they alluded to torture in the books, although the TV show made up the details. I'm sure Theon spoke about being set free as part of Ramsey Snow's "games", before being reeled back in. Can't say he doesn't really deserve it, but those two make for some funny scenes.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRichtofen View Post
    Dreadfort Hilton - lovely
    I think they alluded to torture in the books, although the TV show made up the details. I'm sure Theon spoke about being set free as part of Ramsey Snow's "games", before being reeled back in. Can't say he doesn't really deserve it, but those two make for some funny scenes.
    They mention Theon not wanting to lose the skin from any more of his fingers once or twice;but there are no actual torture sessions described in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    They mention Theon not wanting to lose the skin from any more of his fingers once or twice;but there are no actual torture sessions described in the books.
    Oh yea, by the time Theon returns to the books he's too far gone to remember much, he does recall some the games Ramsay played on him though. I'd probably class flaying as a form of torture too.

For those in the know - we saw five dwarves at the purple wedding instead of two but did we see Penny?

I have seen suggestions that she was the "Robb Stark" and you don't see his/her face during the scene before Joffrey meets the Stranger

For those in the know - we saw five dwarves at the purple wedding instead of two but did we see Penny?

I have seen suggestions that she was the "Robb Stark" and you don't see his/her face during the scene before Joffrey meets the Stranger
    That'd make sense.

It'd also make sense if they write her out of it though.

She is kind of important to Tyrion's character development, but they could probably do the kidnapping and being enslaved story without her.

Excuse my memory but I thought he described how he slit the skin of his finger and pulled the skin away, at one point. I'll have to read them again tbh, way too much information to take in in one reading.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    Excuse my memory but I thought he described how he slit the skin of his finger and pulled the skin away, at one point. I'll have to read them again tbh, way too much information to take in in one reading.
    Yes information overload from the books, I think I will re read the series myself one day.

You've plenty of time 'til he releases his next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    You've plenty of time 'til he releases his next one.
    2015 apparently.

I finished A Dance with Dragons early last year.

It's already been wayyyyyy too long.

I saw that it was announced that Jeyne Stark nee Westerling will be appearing in one of the later books so should be interesting how they spin that in the show especially of Robb's child is a boy and the north unites behind him against the Boltons.

I saw that it was announced that Jeyne Stark nee Westerling will be appearing in one of the later books so should be interesting how they spin that in the show especially of Robb's child is a boy and the north unites behind him against the Boltons.
    They'll have had Martin's approval to kill off characters that aren't dead in the books - they'll either be dead in the books though unconfirmed (see: Jojen Reed), or irrelevant to the storyline

Do we reckon Jon Snow is dead or what?

I hope not, he's likeable.

Didn't give a **** about Robb.

Quote Originally Posted by GiorgosCarraGoonies View Post
    Do we reckon Jon Snow is dead or what?

I hope not, he's likeable.

Didn't give a **** about Robb.
    I think Jon Snow has more potential development tbh. He also didn't really die in an extravagant enough way. Martin likes to kill off characters, but he often makes quite a large point of it when it happens and that didn't really happen enough for Snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyfagan View Post
    I think Jon Snow has more potential development tbh. He also didn't really die in an extravagant enough way. Martin likes to kill off characters, but he often makes quite a large point of it when it happens and that didn't really happen enough for Snow.
    I hope you're right.

I'm hoping he is just injured but that this incident allows him to leave the Watch so he can become a giant badass and go and get vengeance against the Boltons and Freys.

I'm 99% certain Jon is alive.

There's too much pointing to him being the most significant character in the series for him to be dead. GRRM likes to kill people off but I doubt he'd drop that huge a red herring.

I think he's dead but Melisandre will bring him back.

Seems too obvious so I'm probably wrong.

In terms of Jon Snow's fate if ?+?= J then I believe he is still alive. However, this is speculation and i may just know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyfagan View Post
    They'll have had Martin's approval to kill off characters that aren't dead in the books - they'll either be dead in the books though unconfirmed (see: Jojen Reed), or irrelevant to the storyline
    I agree and Martin has said that they have "taken the storyline to 11" with some of the scenes. However, I can also see a major plot twist if Jeyne does give birth to a son. Because as far as Westeros knows Sansa is the only survivor of all the Stark true-born Children. Ok the Bolton's maybe aware that Bran and Rickon were not burnt by Theon at the Mill (if the books and TV Show agrees) but when the rest of the north become aware of a male heir to Robb then the Bolton's may find themselves being the targets of a revolt.

Quote Originally Posted by PotawatomiRed View Post
    I think he's dead but Melisandre will bring him back.

Seems too obvious so I'm probably wrong.
    I think you're probably on the right track but she isn't the only one capable, fire or ice...... that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by Mettatron View Post
    I think you're probably on the right track but she isn't the only one capable, fire or ice...... that is the question
    Great point. I feel there's a connection between Jon and Melisandre. I think she will soon come to the realisation (i have to remember to spell that word differently when on here) that it is Jon who is TPTWP and not Stannis. She brings back him back to life and then she will give him Lightbringer and then he will have to kill either her or Ghost.

One guy I know swears that there is an ice dragon in the wall. So many theories.

Quote Originally Posted by PotawatomiRed View Post
    Great point. I feel there's a connection between Jon and Melisandre. I think she will soon come to the realisation (i have to remember to spell that word differently when on here) that it is Jon who is TPTWP and not Stannis. She brings back him back to life and then she will give him Lightbringer and then he will have to kill either her or Ghost.

One guy I know swears that there is an ice dragon in the wall. So many theories.
    The options seem to be go the fire route and end up like Beric Dondarrion or the ice route and something along the lines of "Coldhands" maybe? (blows my mind that they cut him from the TV series).

Or he could just be dead ofc.

The options seem to be go the fire route and end up like Beric Dondarrion or the ice route and something along the lines of "Coldhands" maybe? (blows my mind that they cut him from the TV series).

Or he could just be dead ofc.
    If it isn't revealed who his parents are and he just died, that will be utterly disappointing. I just can't fathom him dying at this stage; someone has to rise above the rest.

Do we reckon Coldhands is a known character?

I think it might be Benjen Stark.

Quote Originally Posted by GiorgosCarraGoonies View Post
    Do we reckon Coldhands is a known character?

I think it might be Benjen Stark.
    That is the most obvious person and could explain why he has so far been cut from the TV series as we would recognise him, but that leads to the question wouldn't Bran have recognised him?, when they (Bran+ his party) asked for a reasons to trust him would he not have revealed his identity if he was Benjen?

I though he was right up to the point where they asked "Leaf" who he was and she replied "oh they killed him a long time ago", this is a creature that's been around for 2-300 hundred years+ and Benjen's been missing for 3-4 years at best...... would Leaf consider that "a long time"?

I could be wrong but that last point was the one where I started thinking about other options.

That is the most obvious person and could explain why he has so far been cut from the TV series as we would recognise him, but that leads to the question wouldn't Bran have recognised him?, when they (Bran+ his party) asked for a reasons to trust him would he not have revealed his identity if he was Benjen?

I though he was right up to the point where they asked "Leaf" who he was and she replied "oh they killed him a long time ago", this is a creature that's been around for 2-300 hundred years+ and Benjen's been missing for 3-4 years at best...... would Leaf consider that "a long time"?

I could be wrong but that last point was the one where I started thinking about other options.
    not Benjen. Just some dude from ages ago who might be related to the 'Present' day characters somewhere 'tis all.

In terms of Benjen Stark - In an original manuscript Martin has stated that Benjen is not Coldhands.
    http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Coldhands/Theories

I will be interested to see how they play the Yara/Asha storyline based on where she is in ADwD when compared to the story line the show looks like they are giving her.

Although one major player in her book storyline has already met the stranger on TV.

(Additionally, I don't think the High Sparrow will be pleased if she is successful in the other character's alterior motive for heading to the location she seems to be going).

In terms of Benjen Stark - In an original manuscript Martin has stated that Benjen is not Coldhands.
    http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Coldhands/Theories

I will be interested to see how they play the Yara/Asha storyline based on where she is in ADwD when compared to the story line the show looks like they are giving her.

Although one major player in her book storyline has already met the stranger on TV.

(Additionally, I don't think the High Sparrow will be pleased if she is successful in the other character's alterior motive for heading to the location she seems to be going).
    Hhmm what's this about the HS and Yara? Please tell

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    Hhmm what's this about the HS and Yara? Please tell
    Currently there is not going to be Victarion Greyjoy who was asked by a family member to pop a question on the family member's behalf.

In the books as he is travelling to meet the intended recipient of that question he decides that when he does ask the question for his own benefit.

If Yara/Asha is picking up some of Victarion's storyline and asks that question then that becomes a different proposition because instead of a male asking a female the question it will be female to female. Given the Faith Militant's views on homosexuality I don't think they would approve of same sex marriages.

Additionally I think that Jorah Mormont will be picking up Jon Corrington's story arc.

Currently there is not going to be Victarion Greyjoy who was asked by a family member to pop a question on the family member's behalf.

In the books as he is travelling to meet the intended recipient of that question he decides that when he does ask the question for his own benefit.

If Yara/Asha is picking up some of Victarion's storyline and asks that question then that becomes a different proposition because instead of a male asking a female the question it will be female to female. Given the Faith Militant's views on homosexuality I don't think they would approve of same sex marriages.

Additionally I think that Jorah Mormont will be picking up Jon Corrington's story arc.
    I think we've all read the books here, I don't think you need to be that vague.

I think the faith will have issues with them anyway because neither follow their religion. One party follow the drowned god and the others (I would imagine) the Valyrian gods. So if Dani comes to claim the throne they'll resist anyway unless they are blown away by the dragons again.

Its my theory Victarion's proposal will fall flat and cause war in the area (in the books), all they would have to do in the TV show to keep pace is just Have some perceived slight or misunderstanding to cause the war.

I think Corringtons arc has been cut altogether hasn't it? Unless they are bringing him in late of course.

Ah lol. Can't see Yara 'proposing' to Danny, perhaps of a different nature? Some sort of alliance between the two.

I think Ser Jorah's just taken on some of the grey scale stuff JonCon would've done. We'll soon see what the significance or impact it has, if any.

Bryan Cogman to make a Game of Thrones prequel show.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/...writer-w504642

GRRM said:

I can say that, like the other pilots, it will be a prequel rather than sequel, a successor rather than a spinoff. Bryan's series will be an adaptation, and one that will thrill most fans of the books, I think, set during a very exciting period of Westerosi history. And I'll be working with him every step of the way; we're going to be co-creating the show.
    I'm guessing (hoping) it's set in the Dance of Dragons/the Greens vs the Blacks/Princess vs Queen era and am super excited tbh.
    GRRM will be Co-Creator and the story is already written so we won't have the plot holes and dumb character moments we had in the latter stages of the Game of Thrones.

Can't wait for more news about this one!