Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Game of Thrones Books Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    Bryan Cogman to make a Game of Thrones prequel show.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/...writer-w504642

GRRM said:

I'm guessing (hoping) it's set in the Dance of Dragons/the Greens vs the Blacks/Princess vs Queen era and am super excited tbh.
    GRRM will be Co-Creator and the story is already written so we won't have the plot holes and dumb character moments we had in the latter stages of the Game of Thrones.

Can't wait for more news about this one!
    That'll be a good setting! I'm hoping for the Dunk and Egg books personally and I think an immediate prequel detailing before, during and after Roberts Rebellion will be great although I gather that has a very low probability.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    That'll be a good setting! I'm hoping for the Dunk and Egg books personally and I think an immediate prequel detailing before, during and after Roberts Rebellion will be great although I gather that has a very low probability.
    GRRM has ruled out Dunk & Egg stuff as he's still writing them, I guess he's learned his lesson.

Bobby B's Rebellion has been ruled out too as it's covered/still being covered in the main ASOIAF series.

Have you read the World book? There have been so many Targ Kings with some very interesting stories relating to them, plus with Fire & Blood yet to come out, we may have HBO making lots of Westeros stuff yet

Edit: Would have been great if GoT did a 'Prequel Season' showing the Rebellion and it's immediate aftermath (a bit like Spartacus did). Include the Tourney at Harrenhal where Young Ned, Bobby B, Rhaeghar, Ser Arthur Dayne, Young Jaime... etc all knew each other and danced the night away. That would then make Ned's fight with Arthur Dayne all the more sad
    Last edited by WinterPoolStark; 25-9-17 at 11:59.

GRRM has ruled out Dunk & Egg stuff as he's still writing them, I guess he's learned his lesson.

Bobby B's Rebellion has been ruled out too as it's covered/still being covered in the main ASOIAF series.

Have you read the World book? There have been so many Targ Kings with some very interesting stories relating to them, plus with Fire & Blood yet to come out, we may have HBO making lots of Westeros stuff yet

Edit: Would have been great if GoT did a 'Prequel Season' showing the Rebellion and it's immediate aftermath (a bit like Spartacus did).
    Its the only thing I havn't read yet, I might request it for Christmas.

Its the only thing I havn't read yet, I might request it for Christmas.
    Request it from 'Google' (wink wink)

Also make sure you get the large paper copy of the book. the authors arranged for 27 of the best fantasy illustrators/artists to create images of various people/locations within the world.

Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    Also make sure you get the large paper copy of the book. the authors arranged for 27 of the best fantasy illustrators/artists to create images of various people/locations within the world.
    I meant an ebook copy for free but a hard copy would be great!

I have a Kindle but I do enjoy the feel of a real book. My book cases are stacked with years of tastes changing, I have loads of signed books too that have only been opened once for the signing and usually another copy of the same book for reading and even then I only open the book enough to read the page leaving it in near perfect condition. It mystifies my wife how touchy I get about opening a book whereas she takes delight in that first breaking of a spine.

I have a Kindle but I do enjoy the feel of a real book. My book cases are stacked with years of tastes changing, I have loads of signed books too that have only been opened once for the signing and usually another copy of the same book for reading and even then I only open the book enough to read the page leaving it in near perfect condition. It mystifies my wife how touchy I get about opening a book whereas she takes delight in that first breaking of a spine.
    Brilliant

I'm a bit like that with games and Steelbook cases - I even buy the **** games with nice covers and never play them

Brilliant

I'm a bit like that with games and Steelbook cases - I even buy the **** games with nice covers and never play them
    I still have a few special edition versions of old games in original packaging, I'm so sad!

So, this just occurred to me. In the show, Rhaegar annulled his marriage to Elia and named the new baby Aegon. That's the same name as his first son, unless... they weren't his kids? I don't get why he would annul his marriage otherwise and make his children illegitimate.

Maybe Elia had a lover who Rhaegar found out about? That would **** with his prophecy, maybe why he went for Leanna?

Varys tells Tyrion in A Clash of Kings: (just before she died)

"My little birds tell me that Princess Elia cried a… certain name… when they came for her.”

Who's name was that? Her lover's perhaps?

So, this just occurred to me. In the show, Rhaegar annulled his marriage to Elia and named the new baby Aegon. That's the same name as his first son, unless... they weren't his kids? I don't get why he would annul his marriage otherwise and make his children illegitimate.

Maybe Elia had a lover who Rhaegar found out about? That would **** with his prophecy, maybe why he went for Leanna?

Varys tells Tyrion in A Clash of Kings: (just before she died)

"My little birds tell me that Princess Elia cried a… certain name… when they came for her.”

Who's name was that? Her lover's perhaps?
    Depends if the books follow the same thread as the TV show or whether for convenience they are re-using a name from the books.

If they do, I suspect we'll find out some prophecy Rheagar read referred to Aegon being the price who was promised and re-used it when he annulled his marriage (although does that invalidate the claim to the throne of his existing kids???).

It could also be that Lyanna, hearing the news that Rheagar was dead and his children subsequently murdered in the sack of Kings Landing decided herself to name the child Aegon.

TBH There so many differences between the TV show and books that anything can occur.

Looking forward to it anyway.

Depends if the books follow the same thread as the TV show or whether for convenience they are re-using a name from the books.

If they do, I suspect we'll find out some prophecy Rheagar read referred to Aegon being the price who was promised and re-used it when he annulled his marriage (although does that invalidate the claim to the throne of his existing kids???).

It could also be that Lyanna, hearing the news that Rheagar was dead and his children subsequently murdered in the sack of Kings Landing decided herself to name the child Aegon.

TBH There so many differences between the TV show and books that anything can occur.

Looking forward to it anyway.
    Whilst there appears to be no relevant source within GRRM's work to decide one way or another, If we refer to the English line of succession. Officially Henry VIII's marriage to Catherine of Aragon was annulled due to she was previously married to Henry's older brother (although that was allegedly not consummated). Furthermore Anne Boleyn's marriage was declared null and void within hours of her execution.

However, both their daughters (Mary I & Elizabeth I) ascended the throne at the appropriate time.

So if GRRM is following this line of succession then Elia's children will have primacy on the line of succession through the Targaryen line. Which may have implications if both Griffs are who they say they are.

Whilst there appears to be no relevant source within GRRM's work to decide one way or another, If we refer to the English line of succession. Officially Henry VIII's marriage to Catherine of Aragon was annulled due to she was previously married to Henry's older brother (although that was allegedly not consummated). Furthermore Anne Boleyn's marriage was declared null and void within hours of her execution.

However, both their daughters (Mary I & Elizabeth I) ascended the throne at the appropriate time.

So if GRRM is following this line of succession then Elia's children will have primacy on the line of succession through the Targaryen line. Which may have implications if both Griffs are who they say they are.
    Would be great if Elia and Aerys (Mad King) were lovers That'd make Aegon VI a legit Targ but the brother of Rhaegar, not his son. Aegon VII (Jon) would then be the legit heir to the throne.

Danny can then decide whether she fancys her baby brother or her nephew more

I was just reading through some Targaryen history and its crazy with the line of succession being exceedingly patchy. It might just end up being a fight or an agreement to establish someone as king considering there is no legimate linage from Robert Baratheon onwards and the Targ linage has been "dormant" a while. A case of my army trumps yours rather than my claim to the throne trumps yours. The former appeared in Targ history in that two contenders for the throne agreed one should be king and the other was made the hand, happy all round.

I was just reading through some Targaryen history and its crazy with the line of succession being exceedingly patchy. It might just end up being a fight or an agreement to establish someone as king considering there is no legimate linage from Robert Baratheon onwards and the Targ linage has been "dormant" a while. A case of my army trumps yours rather than my claim to the throne trumps yours. The former appeared in Targ history in that two contenders for the throne agreed one should be king and the other was made the hand, happy all round.
    Who are you talking about?

Who are you talking about?
    I'm trying to find what I read again to add some names to it. It might make a bit more sense.

I'm trying to find what I read again to add some names to it. It might make a bit more sense.
    Thanks

I agree with your 'might is right' part, Baratheon hold the Iron Throne by right of conquest. Whoever is strongest and has the most friends eventually rules the Throne.

Thanks

I agree with your 'might is right' part, Baratheon hold the Iron Throne by right of conquest. Whoever is strongest and has the most friends eventually rules the Throne.
    Yep. I/m struggling finding what I was reading earlier btw, I might have to give it up as just a mis-read of information.

How do you see Young Griffs future in all this along with Jon being a fairly significant fly in the ointment?

I'm pretty sure he a fake but both Varys and Illyrio have supported him and Dany both at various times so it'll be interesting to see if their plans fall on stony ground or not.

Yep. I/m struggling finding what I was reading earlier btw, I might have to give it up as just a mis-read of information.

How do you see Young Griffs future in all this along with Jon being a fairly significant fly in the ointment?

I'm pretty sure he a fake but both Varys and Illyrio have supported him and Dany both at various times so it'll be interesting to see if their plans fall on stony ground or not.
    Not sure where Martin's going with this. I'm leaning towards 'he's a Blackfyre' too and I'd love it if the Blackfyres took the Iron Throne, which I think YG will. 'Bittersteal' (founder of the Golden Company) apparently ordered his Commanders to boil the skin off his skull and dip it in Gold. He then told them to take it with them if they were to ever take Westeros. It'd be brilliant if the GC still carry that golden skull around Pop it on YG's lap when he sits the Iron Throne.

Not sure where Martin's going with this. I'm leaning towards 'he's a Blackfyre' too and I'd love it if the Blackfyres took the Iron Throne, which I think YG will. 'Bittersteal' (founder of the Golden Company) apparently ordered his Commanders to boil the skin off his skull and dip it in Gold. He then told them to take it with them if they were to ever take Westeros. It'd be brilliant if the GC still carry that golden skull around Pop it on YG's lap when he sits the Iron Throne.
    Is that more information from Blood and Fire?

I think he'll get close but I think Jons revelation will be timed to spoil his final moves. His supporters will not take kindly to that and I guess will look to kill Jon off but he'll be protected by Arya. Dany finds out and loses it after a similar meeting and falling in love as the TV show. He'll be killed either by Arya or Drogon......or it could be completely different, it is GRRM after all.

Is that more information from Blood and Fire?

I think he'll get close but I think Jons revelation will be timed to spoil his final moves. His supporters will not take kindly to that and I guess will look to kill Jon off but he'll be protected by Arya. Dany finds out and loses it after a similar meeting and falling in love as the TV show. He'll be killed either by Arya or Drogon......or it could be completely different, it is GRRM after all.
    It's in a Jon Connington chapter in Dance - he thinks about the Golden Company and the founder Bittersteel - Aegor Rivers. He's mentioned in the Dunk n Egg stories as they're quite 'Blackfyre' oriented and in the World of Ice and Fire too.

I can see Littlefinger offering Sansa to 'Young Griff' in some marriage alliance? That'd add some more spice to the mix

It's in a Jon Connington chapter in Dance - he thinks about the Golden Company and the founder Bittersteel - Aegor Rivers. He's mentioned in the Dunk n Egg stories as they're quite 'Blackfyre' oriented and in the World of Ice and Fire too.

I can see Littlefinger offering Sansa to 'Young Griff' in some marriage alliance? That'd add some more spice to the mix
    I'm not sure Sansa and Jon would compete for the same throne, although I get why it could happen, especially if the story moves a little slower than the TV show. (i.e. right now John is dead and YG is on Westeros (or at least it indicates he is in the preview chapters - Storms End IIRC) so at this point Jon isn't an issue and Sansa would jump at it, for sure.

I'm not sure Sansa and Jon would compete for the same throne, although I get why it could happen, especially if the story moves a little slower than the TV show. (i.e. right now John is dead and YG is on Westeros (or at least it indicates he is in the preview chapters - Storms End IIRC) so at this point Jon isn't an issue and Sansa would jump at it, for sure.
    That's the thing. Jon isn't anything more than the LC of the Night's Watch, a group no one really cares about (Alcatraz of Westeros).

It all depends on what Littlefinger has up his sleeve (we know book LF is a Super Genius as well). The last thing we saw, he was stock piling food at the Vale (with some sort of price fixing going on) who are pretty much the only ones not affected by all the wars.

'The Book of Swords' is out today. It contains a story by GRRM from the upcoming 'Fire & Blood' book called 'The Sons of the Dragon'.

I've downloaded my copy can't wait to get stuck in!