Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 84

Thread: Game of Thrones Books Thread

  1. #1 Default Game of Thrones Books Thread 
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Mettatron View Post
    Nope that not what I meant but as Forks has pointed out even without blatent spoliers (which I've tryed hard to avoid) anything we say no matter how vague does has an affect so with that in mind I won't say anymore on the issue.

    Tbh Its going to be kinda fun following this thread and seeing how some of you react when the penny really drops
    I've typed about 10 different sentences, trying not to be a knob, or spoil and hint at anything that is to come. This isn't even a spoiler, but if you don't want to read about what episode I'm excited about, don't highlight below here:

    The reaction at the end of episode 9 this season will be amazing to watch, I can't wait!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #2  
    ForkHandles is offline Boot Room insider
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    53,234
    This thread can be used to discuss the books and also compare the books with the Tv series
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #3  
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,539
    I think I'll avoid this thread until I finish the rest of books 4 and 5. Looking forward to joining in later
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #4  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,690
    Does that include the Winds of Winter? or based on the website's title. Is winter coming?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #5  
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,717
    I left the last book in a hotel room (Juries in Liverpool I think).

    It was that long and ponderous I never bothered asking for it back.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #6  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,728
    Interested to see what the TV show does with Gendry. They are obviously taking a completely different route. Maybe they are going to replace Edric Storm with Gendry?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #7  
    RichardCranium is offline Academy prospect
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    18,481
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Perhaps now that there's a tv show based on his books he'll get his ass in gear and not take a million years to finish the last 2 books.
    I would just like to reiterate my statements from last year. If that fat **** dies before the 7th book is published, I will dig him up and kill him again. As it is, he wrote the 4th and 5th books as one, split them up because it was too long, released the 4th and it still took 6 years to release the 5th. If that's the benchmark my son will be in college before the 6th is published.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #8  
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,809
    If anyone who has already read all the books wants to get into the theories if what is going on, and what will happen, this is where you need to go.

    And even if you're in the middle of an earlier book, those sections are still open. It's interesting to read people opinion's when you know what will happen, some people are really intuitive and spot on in their predictions, others not so much.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #9  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,799
    Martin needs to stop being a fat lazy slob. If we have to wait 7 years for the next book again i'll likely top myself.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #10  
    lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    23,651
    UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! this thread.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #11  
    Hobbes. is offline Bandwagon jumper of the year
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    17,367
    Forever out of the loop.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #12  
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,809
    Quote Originally Posted by SuarumanTheRed View Post
    Martin needs to stop being a fat lazy slob. If we have to wait 7 years for the next book again i'll likely top myself.
    More that he needs to not die before he's written them. If he can actually keep on schedule, The Winds of Winter should be out some time next year.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #13  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,799
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarBearClub View Post
    More that he needs to not die before he's written them. If he can actually keep on schedule, The Winds of Winter should be out some time next year.
    That forum you linked is fantastic mate. They have theories that never even crossed my mind!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #14  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,487
    Quote Originally Posted by NYscouser View Post
    Interested to see what the TV show does with Gendry. They are obviously taking a completely different route. Maybe they are going to replace Edric Storm with Gendry?
    That's exactly what they're doing. And it's ****.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #15  
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,540
    Quote Originally Posted by carraforcaptain View Post
    That's exactly what they're doing. And it's ****.
    You're probably right about that but it could tie up several loose ends before they become loose so to speak.

    It's the fast travel of some chars that I'm struggeling with........ was a nice touch having the red woman rock up with the brotherhood but she'd have needed a scram jet to get to them in one episode when its taken Bran's crew 6 episodes to travel half the distance, Ser Piggy is taking even longer to travel a few hundred miles but that can probably be explained by the serious lack of anything to "run from" :FP:

    I'm hoping they will eventually get round to showing us whats going on up there but tbh I think the reason the opted for "Game of Thrones" as the title instead of "Fire and Ice" is theyve decided to concentrate mainly on the human storys and the *********** contest for said throne rather than the real battle between the Lord of Light and the Other......... Sam singing lullabys instead of earning his title of Slayer for example is truely unfathomable........ wtf do you think they are doing with it?

    Is kind of amusing watching the non-book readers in the TV thread who still think that sitting on the Iron throne is the endgame........ can't say I blame thme tbh, apart from the very last scene of S2 (the greatest act of ***** teasing I've seen for some time) we really havnt seen anything of the "Ice" element to the story and despite many scenes involving the "Fire" side of things most have missed it....... to much puntang to look at imo.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #16  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Mettatron View Post
    You're probably right about that but it could tie up several loose ends before they become loose so to speak.

    It's the fast travel of some chars that I'm struggeling with........ was a nice touch having the red woman rock up with the brotherhood but she'd have needed a scram jet to get to them in one episode when its taken Bran's crew 6 episodes to travel half the distance, Ser Piggy is taking even longer to travel a few hundred miles but that can probably be explained by the serious lack of anything to "run from" :FP:

    I'm hoping they will eventually get round to showing us whats going on up there but tbh I think the reason the opted for "Game of Thrones" as the title instead of "Fire and Ice" is theyve decided to concentrate mainly on the human storys and the *********** contest for said throne rather than the real battle between the Lord of Light and the Other......... Sam singing lullabys instead of earning his title of Slayer for example is truely unfathomable........ wtf do you think they are doing with it?

    Is kind of amusing watching the non-book readers in the TV thread who still think that sitting on the Iron throne is the endgame........ can't say I blame thme tbh, apart from the very last scene of S2 (the greatest act of ***** teasing I've seen for some time) we really havnt seen anything of the "Ice" element to the story and despite many scenes involving the "Fire" side of things most have missed it....... to much puntang to look at imo.
    Tv/film adaptions always pretty much **** on and destroy the original story. Its like a microwave mcdonalds xfactor version.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #17  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Mettatron View Post
    You're probably right about that but it could tie up several loose ends before they become loose so to speak.

    It's the fast travel of some chars that I'm struggeling with........ was a nice touch having the red woman rock up with the brotherhood but she'd have needed a scram jet to get to them in one episode when its taken Bran's crew 6 episodes to travel half the distance, Ser Piggy is taking even longer to travel a few hundred miles but that can probably be explained by the serious lack of anything to "run from" :FP:

    I'm hoping they will eventually get round to showing us whats going on up there but tbh I think the reason the opted for "Game of Thrones" as the title instead of "Fire and Ice" is theyve decided to concentrate mainly on the human storys and the *********** contest for said throne rather than the real battle between the Lord of Light and the Other......... Sam singing lullabys instead of earning his title of Slayer for example is truely unfathomable........ wtf do you think they are doing with it?

    Is kind of amusing watching the non-book readers in the TV thread who still think that sitting on the Iron throne is the endgame........ can't say I blame thme tbh, apart from the very last scene of S2 (the greatest act of ***** teasing I've seen for some time) we really havnt seen anything of the "Ice" element to the story and despite many scenes involving the "Fire" side of things most have missed it....... to much puntang to look at imo.
    I was ********** about Sam and not getting his nickname.....only thing we can hope is he will get it soon. He showed the dagger last episode so maybe he will use it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #18  
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,540
    Quote Originally Posted by NYscouser View Post
    I was ********** about Sam and not getting his nickname.....only thing we can hope is he will get it soon. He showed the dagger last episode so maybe he will use it.
    Nah thats long gone now mate, he would need some of the nights watch to be around to give him the name...... they've disappeared long ago and so has any chance of us seeing those epic scenes.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #19  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,690
    They also had a perfect opportunity to provide him with his nickname in Valar Dohaeris when he was attacked by the undead Wilding axeman and was rescued by Ghost and Jeor Mormont.

    Ok it is not quite what happened as there is only Grenn who is alive (At the time when they got back to Craster's keep) that witnessed Samwell killing the other.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #20  
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,438
    Just started the first book. Finished the first chapter and I'm already enjoying it more than the series.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #21  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,035
    Did anyone notice the reference to the horn of Joramun (or Horn of Winter) that will destroy the wall (wanted by Mance) being lost in the TV series?

    I always wondered if the horn did actually exist and the one Mance had and was burned was a bluff/fake and Samwell actually had the working powerful horn (dug up with the cache of weapons (referenced above)). I can't remember if this was dealt with in the books but I know it was referenced when Samwell found it and also when Samwell, the girl, the baby and the old bloke travel. (trying not to give too much away)

    Please don't lower yourselves to the obvious puns.
    Last edited by Eloader; 9-5-13 at 12:22.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #22  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,799
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernCarollina View Post
    Just started the first book. Finished the first chapter and I'm already enjoying it more than the series.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #23  
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    23,091
    Spoilers don't read if you haven't read ALL the books. SPOILERS SPOILERS

    My theory is Jon snow is rhaegar and Ned's sisters baby, making him a targaryan and the one who will eventually take the throne alongside deaneries. We know Jon gets killed but he is definitely going to come back to life.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #24  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,799
    Quote Originally Posted by I-SEE-red-PEOPLE View Post
    Spoilers don't read if you haven't read ALL the books. SPOILERS SPOILERS

    My theory is Jon snow is rhaegar and Ned's sisters baby, making him a targaryan and the one who will eventually take the throne alongside deaneries. We know Jon gets killed but he is definitely going to come back to life.
    Aye this seems to be the general assumption on their forums. Makes loadsa sense.

    He might not be killed he never actually says he dies, maybe all the wildlings come to his rescue etc.

    Btw i think its a good idea to containt SPOILERS in the thread title!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #25  
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,029
    OK so just in case anyone who has only watched the TV series, this is the book thread! I know that seemed pointless, but you never know since the titles are similar.

    ...................................

    I was just thinking about the TV series VS the books, and clearly season 4 on TV will be book 3b... looking forward to the wedding in particular, but also all the Dornish folk finally turning up, and the fights that entail. I'm wondering how will they handle it after that? Book 4 and 5a start at the same point and converged somewhere early in book 5b, but book 4 introduced so many new characters that I can't see the corresponding TV series just chucking it all at the viewers.

    Surely they'll merge books 4 and 5 into one long story?

    If I recall, book 4 was largely focusing on Brienne, the Iron Men, the Sand Snakes? It was a while ago now, so I've probably forgotten much of what happened. Samwell has a few chapters and there's a bit of Stark action with Sansa / Arya too I think.

    What are people looking forward to the most from TV season 4 / book 3b?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #26  
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,809
    Definitely the Red Viper versus Clegane. I think they'll build that up quite nicely, maybe show more of Clegane to make you really hate him. Then this suave knight turns up with his amazing spear skills, and even though people who purely watch the show might be expecting some disappointment as they're getting used to it, it'll definitely look like there's no hope for Clegane when the Viper is standing over him.

    Also I think everyone will love the direction Tyrion's journey takes.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #27  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,690
    The Purple wedding should be interesting especially if ITK fans do what they did with the Red Wedding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azr99OfKLxk

    I think it will jump around between books 3-5 and there will also be a few of the stories merged into each other.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #28  
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,029
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarBearClub View Post
    Definitely the Red Viper versus Clegane. I think they'll build that up quite nicely, maybe show more of Clegane to make you really hate him. Then this suave knight turns up with his amazing spear skills, and even though people who purely watch the show might be expecting some disappointment as they're getting used to it, it'll definitely look like there's no hope for Clegane when the Viper is standing over him.

    Also I think everyone will love the direction Tyrion's journey takes.
    So many twists in the series, you sort of get used to it and then something crazy happens. Agree, they'll build that fight up - I forgot what Tyrion had on that fight. The meddling by Littlefinger and Varys only grows and becomes more evident as the books go on as well.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #29  
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,029
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    The Purple wedding should be interesting especially if ITK fans do what they did with the Red Wedding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azr99OfKLxk

    I think it will jump around between books 3-5 and there will also be a few of the stories merged into each other.
    Wouldn't be surprised if they mixed in 3/4/5 in places, they've already done similar with Theon's torture I guess. I don't remember reading about that til book 4 I think, not sure though, a re-read may be in order.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #30  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,690
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRichtofen View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if they mixed in 3/4/5 in places, they've already done similar with Theon's torture I guess. I don't remember reading about that til book 4 I think, not sure though, a re-read may be in order.
    The actual torture is not in the books. I don't think he appeared in book 3 but by book 4 we know he was at the Dreadfort Hilton when he is now known as Reek rhymes with Meek
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •