Notices
Reply to Thread

Thread: Mathieu Flamini on a Bosman?

1. #1 Default Mathieu Flamini on a Bosman? 
    Although he is a bit old (28) by FSG standards I think he could be great signing. He took a huge paycut to stay in Milan this season and he's done really, really well in the few games I've seen him play since he came back from injury. He's out of contact in the summer so it would be on a free… a creative, composured DM with PL experience is hard to come by these days.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

WilbertoSilva is online now Academy prospect
    I've always thought he's thrown his career away a tad at Milan. Great move for him, but hasn't played anywhere near enough. I'd certainly take him at Liverpool; athletic, can tackle, decent on the ball, PL experience, decent age, not likely to be huge wages...would be a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    I've always thought he's thrown his career away a tad at Milan. Great move for him, but hasn't played anywhere near enough. I'd certainly take him at Liverpool; athletic, can tackle, decent on the ball, PL experience, decent age, not likely to be huge wages...would be a good move.
    Well spotted! He just turned 29 so if we can get him on a one year contract with an option to extend, it would give they youngsters a chance.

yeah id take him. nice tidy player and good tackler too

Chamakh My Pitch Up is online now Academy prospect
    How many more Midfielders do we need?

Quote Originally Posted by Number-9-God View Post
    How many more Midfielders do we need?
    To some extent I agree we have enough midfielders, but what happens if Lucas get's injured? Our only other DM is out on loan and even if he were here he wouldn't keep Lucas on his toes for place in the starting lineup. We need the competition and cover.

I know we have a lot of midfielders on the books but once you actually look at the midfielders we have we are short on experience.
    Take away Gerrard, Downing and Lucas then look at what's left. Henderson, Allen, Suso, Sterling, Shelvey..... even though Henderson has improved he's still a young lad.
    In the summer it wouldn't surprise me to see Downing leave, even though he's improved a lot this season (though to be fair to him, if he scored half of the shots that hit the post last year, our general opinion of his season would be completely different), also I think Shelvey could benefit from being loaned out to a PL side for atleast half a season next year to gain some regular first team experience.
    So bringing in an experienced player in the midfield wouldn't be a bad idea, as it wouldn't restrict the younger players IMO it would actually help them.

Quote Originally Posted by stewie-louie View Post
    To some extent I agree we have enough midfielders, but what happens if Lucas get's injured? Our only other DM is out on loan and even if he were here he wouldn't keep Lucas on his toes for place in the starting lineup. We need the competition and cover.
    Flaimini or Diame?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Suarez View Post
    Flaimini or Diame?
    diame but no harm in getting flamini on a bosman to

I prefer signings of the Coutinho/Sturridge type.

I rate both of them. They are two very different DM's to begin with and my guess is Flamini would maybe suit our current style of play better. So Flamini would be my pick but I would certainly not be disappointed if we signed Diame instead.

Haven't seen him lately.

But we need strenght in midfield. And awarness and a playmaker.

Hueng Min Son: £15Mill
    Weimann: £4mill (if Villa go down)
    Flamini: Free
    Micah Richards: £10mill

Loan out: Shelvey, Suso, Coates, Coady
    Retire: Carra

Sell:
    Spearing: £3mill

Net Spend of £26mill, not an overhaul. Get Kelly permanently fit, with Richards.

GK: Reina, Jones
    DEF: Glen, Kelly, Wisdom, Richards, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique, Robinson.
    MID: Gerrard, Lucas, Flamini, Henderson, Allen, Coutinho.
    ATT: Suarez, Sturridge, Downing, Min Son, Borini, Sterling.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckley View Post
    Hueng Min Son: £15Mill
    Weimann: £4mill (if Villa go down)
    Flamini: Free
    Micah Richards: £10mill

Loan out: Shelvey, Suso, Coates, Coady
    Retire: Carra

Sell:
    Spearing: £3mill

Net Spend of £26mill, not an overhaul. Get Kelly permanently fit, with Richards.

GK: Reina, Jones
    DEF: Glen, Kelly, Wisdom, Richards, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique, Robinson.
    MID: Gerrard, Lucas, Flamini, Henderson, Allen, Coutinho.
    ATT: Suarez, Sturridge, Downing, Min Son, Borini, Sterling.
    what an awful bit of business this would be.... why spend 15m on an unproven youngster and 10m on an injury prone with huge wages when you can get better quality elsewhere

I watched the Pescara-Milan game yesterday and Flamini played really well, 1 goal + 1 assist before he got substituted and some really tidy defending as well in the first half, although Pescara were awful. Also notable is that he's scored four goals in the five last games which is pretty decent for a DM in Serie-A.

On a Bosman I still think Flamini would be a no-brainer. I doubt it will ever happen though.

Thought I'd bump this thread because we haven't been linked to any DM's lately and I still think we could use some decent backup for Lucas. The negotiations with Milan seem to have stalled and ManCity are reported to be interested in signing Flamini, but that really seems unlikely as they signed Fernandinho and they already got Toure...
    A 29 year old, PL proven classy DM as a free transfer doesn't sound to bad. As I mentioned earlier he had pretty good season at Milan scoring 4 in 18 games and generally looked pretty sharp in the few Milan games I watched last season. If we managed to lure back Alonso it would be perfect but as a free transfer we really should try to get him. Maybe Kolo could put in a good word..

Absolute no brainer for me.

Good footballer
    European and PL experienced
    A winner
    Free

2 year deal w/1 year option. Done.

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Add Flamini to the growing list of low effort threads, Parker, Alonso, Barry, Flamini - any others?
    People will believe what they want to believe

wouldn't be a bad option at all on a free. cheap wages, PL experience still has few years left in him and he had arguably his best season in years for Milan last season.

28!!! I thought he was a lot older than that more like Gerrard age. So yeah not a bad idea on a free. But i think it's pretty pointless to talk about players that we have never been linked with.
    Although he is a bit old (28) by FSG standards I think he could be great signing. He took a huge paycut to stay in Milan this season and he's done really, really well in the few games I've seen him play since he came back from injury. He's out of contact in the summer so it would be on a free… a creative, composured DM with PL experience is hard to come by these days.

Yeah just get an oldish DM who is out of contract and make a thread about him.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Add Flamini to the growing list of low effort threads, Parker, Alonso, Barry, Flamini - any others?

Quote Originally Posted by D.Sturridge1999 View Post
    28!!! I thought he was a lot older than that more like Gerrard age. So yeah not a bad idea on a free. But i think it's pretty pointless to talk about players that we have never been linked with.
    So we should only discuss players linked to us on football-gossip sites? All transfertalk is pointless to an certain extent. Talking about players we been linked to under previous managers/owners is just as pointless...

Not sure we should be taking anyone just cos they're free though - remember where that got us with Joe Cole! If you wouldn't be prepared to buy him then he's probably not worth having on the wage bill an clogging up the squad. Either get someone in with real quality or give a youngster a chance

p.s. Yes I know Gary Mac was on a free, but that was because of his age

Chamakh My Pitch Up is online now Academy prospect
    How many times will this Flamini get mentioned on here?
    Huuhmhmhmhmmm. Come at me bro.

As much as I think we need a new DM, flamini isn't the right choice, what about javi Martinez or Andrea Poli???

Yeah, sign him

Quote Originally Posted by Jinnopher View Post
    As much as I think we need a new DM, flamini isn't the right choice, what about javi Martinez or Andrea Poli???

Javi Martinez the Bayern player that they spent all of last summer trying to sign and in the end payed well over what they wanted to spend.. You seriously think we can just magic £40mil + out of thin air and also entice him away from the current CL and Bundesliga champions?

Andrea Poli has signed for AC Milan for the new season.

People should really use their brains and also do some research on a player before they post so they don't look like utter morons!

I've always liked Flamini. I don't think it would be a bad move.