Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Comedians

ladym98 is offline Thank Milady it's Friday
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxB View Post
    I thought you were talking about the twitter quote about Frankie Boyle, apologies
    Oh!

Nah, pretty sure the guy who posted that on Twitter was merely using it as an analogy. Booking Hunter for the PFA was similar to booking Boyle for a kids party.
    Ooooooh, this is new!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

If you have a problem with black people using the n word then you should probably read up on your black history.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxB View Post
    I agree with that you're saying about if a white person said it there would be hell on. It's perceived that only black people are allowed to say the word and there is obviously something wrong with this logic. But I don't think this has anything to do with Reg using the word in his jokes.
    I will try one last time. Using words exactly as Darren Lewis said "if a white comic had done that act exactly as reg did then the would be murder which isn't right". The words from Darren Lewis black writer for the Mirror not me even tho I agree with him.

CrawleyRed is online now The Jolly Green Giant's big brother
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudy12 View Post
    I will try one last time. Using words exactly as Darren Lewis said "if a white comic had done that act exactly as reg did then the would be murder which isn't right". The words from Darren Lewis black writer for the Mirror not me even tho I agree with him.
    The day I respect the opinion of Darren Lewis is the day I buy a frilly dress and start going by the name of Mavis. The 'if a white person had said it' argument is about as weak as it gets.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawleyRed View Post
    Can't stand Stewart Lee. "Here's why everything in the world is rubbish except me."

I prefer the 'safer' comedians because it takes far more talent to get a laugh without having to resort to shock tactics. Having said that, Bill Hicks is one of the greatest of all time.

McIntyre, Bishop, Reg D Hunter, Bill Bailey, Chris Rock, Al Murray, with honorable mentions to 'one liner' comedians like Milton Jones, Stewart Francis and Tim Vine.
    What 'shock tactics' does Stewart Lee use? If anything, he mocks that sort of comedian (see his attack on Frankie Boyle).

Chris Rock's whole act is pretty much race related zzzzzz

Michael McIntyre is easily one of the worst around, along with the likes of Russell Howard and others.

hitmanlfc is offline Mischief-maker of the season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by ladym98 View Post
    Oh!

Nah, pretty sure the guy who posted that on Twitter was merely using it as an analogy. Booking Hunter for the PFA was similar to booking Boyle for a kids party.
    the fact youve had to explain this says a lot about max tbh

Quote Originally Posted by cloudy12 View Post
    I rather think that Darren Lewis has missed the point then. Reg D H uses the word in his act as a means of 'reclaiming' the word for black culture. In the 1800s the word was used extensively without any racial slur being meant at all. Since the 1900s the word has been used exclusively as a pejorative term. Reg D Hunter's aim, , by using the word frequently in his act, is to remove the impact of the word so that it cannot be used as a racial slur.

Whether Reg D will be successful with that is another matter!

For what its worth, in the way that all music started with Elvis, all comedy started with Spike Milligan.
    But I also admire(d) Mike Reid (his jokes were rubbish, but his delivery was amazing; even his worst jokes would make you laugh), Sean Lock, Jimmy Carr, Hugh Dennis, Al Murray, Jack Dee, and Frankie Boyle. I like Jon Richardson when he's on gameshows as well, though Ive never really seen him do stand up.

At the moment one of the funniest comedians I have seen is Kevin Bridges! He was brilliant. Micky Flanagan and Lee Mack are excellent as well.

Eddie Murphy's Raw and Delirious are two of the funniest standup comedy movies ever. Forget his films yes he's rubbish but he was great at stand up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Eddie Murphy's Raw and Delirious are two of the funniest standup comedy movies ever. Forget his films yes he's rubbish but he was great at stand up.
    Delirious is amazing, one of my favourite stand up shows ever. Raw is still really good, but not as good as Delirious.

I can not believe Richard Pryor has not been mentioned more, he was a bleeding legend, and Dave chappelle is also a funny guy. Billy Connolly. It just brings a smile to the face recalling some of them moments!

Bayezit is offline 2012-13 Joint Winner, Off-Topic Poster of the Season
    Quote Originally Posted by lateloveslfc View Post
    I can not believe Richard Pryor has not been mentioned more, he was a bleeding legend, and Dave chappelle is also a funny guy. Billy Connolly. It just brings a smile to the face recalling some of them moments!
    Haven't seen the late, great Bill Hicks get a nod either.

3 for me

Kevin Bridges
    Bill Hicks
    George Carlin

Hobbes. is offline Bandwagon jumper of the year
    Donald Glover, by virtue of being hilarious and in a list of three comedians I have comitted to memory.

Bernard Manning
    Chubby Brown
    Jasper Carrott
    Frankie Boyle
    Kevin Bridges
    Ricky Gervais
    Jimmy Carr
    Lee Mack
    Tim Vine

In no particular order.

White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle.

hobnobs is offline May contain sarcasm
    Bill Hicks
    Robin Williams
    Dara O'Briain
    Eddie Izzard

In that order, at least until I remember someone else...

(can't believe Dara and Williams hadn't been mentioned at all.)
    Last edited by hobnobs; 4-7-13 at 18:31. Reason: missing an s

Tardelli59 is offline Academy prospect
    Kevin Bridges atm

David Moyes has promised fans of Manchester United that they will be in a major European competition next year... even if he has to write the song himself.
    Nothing is impossible whilst it's still possible..........

I saw a Manchester United fan trying to throw himself off the top floor of a high rise block of flats today. But by the time I had got there to help him he had slipped to ninth.
    Nothing is impossible whilst it's still possible..........

Kevin Bridges is very good at the moment.

Bill Hicks was brilliant and not just as a comedian.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMUiwTu...%3DiMUiwTubYu0

I mean, this is funny in a, you've got to laugh or you will cry, type of way, but it's more than just a comedy routine.

Warning strong language.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ti73SgrLadU

Quote Originally Posted by lateloveslfc View Post
    Aye lets be honest here, most of the race related humour which is now well tired and dated, and a lot of Eddie Murphys stuff, as good as it is, is all just taking off Richard Pryor in my opinion.

Was just thinking has anyone every found a women comedian very funny ?
    I dont remember the last time a lady made me laugh, well intentionally.

Anybody like Louis CK? One of the funniest guys in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by rayvonuk View Post
    Was just thinking has anyone every found a women comedian very funny ?
    I dont remember the last time a lady made me laugh, well intentionally.
    Sarah Silverman is probably the only one who has made me laugh even once, but even she makes me cringe quite a bit. Most women are awful. Sarah Millican is the worst, then that one who constantly bangs on about her Nigerian family and steals Eddie Murphy jokes.

Some that I haven't actually seen in years but I would say were my favourites are Peter Kay, Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy and Billy Connolly.

The more current comedians I don't think are on par with those guys, like someone already said of Sean Lock. When he is on 8 Out of 10 Cats he is hilarious, especially the Countdown ones. But I went to watch him do stand up and he wasn't as good.

I may be showing my age a bit hear but my favs have been Bob Monkhouse -forget the game shows his stand up was so slick. Bob Newhart his telephone conversations act is great to listen to. Billy Connolly when he came on the scene in the 70's the last supper gag is still so funny . Ok a bit controversial but very very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Sarah Silverman is probably the only one who has made me laugh even once, but even she makes me cringe quite a bit. Most women are awful. Sarah Millican is the worst, then that one who constantly bangs on about her Nigerian family and steals Eddie Murphy jokes.
    I remember watching the silverman show after hearing it was good, but still no laugh, a bit of a smile maybe !

My favourite is Gervais, in particular when he is with Steve and Karl, Their Radio show when digital radio came out was funny as ****, never laughed so much.
    My least favourite, not a woman, has to be Tim Vine, not sure what it is but every time i see him i just feel really embarrassed for him, he is really good if that is what he is trying to do lol.

Ken Dodd !