Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Comedians

smokintony is offline Boot Room insider
    Dave Allan was the best
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    Stewart Lee's problem is he is tediously repetitive, dull and unfunny. Having to rely on bullying his audience into forcing a titter out of them.

don`t beat around the bush...just give it to me straight "like a pear cider made from pears"

Quote Originally Posted by meistermind View Post

don`t beat around the bush...just give it to me straight "like a pear cider made from pears" :d
    100% !!

:d

MikePo is offline Armchair supporter
    Jimmy Carr
    Alan Carr
    John Richardson
    Jack Dee

Quote Originally Posted by MikePo View Post
    Jimmy Carr
    Alan Carr
    John Richardson
    Jack Dee
    Saw Jimmy Carr live a few years ago. I definitely bust my gut laughing that much.

I also saw Tim Minchin a few weeks afterwards and again, very funny.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

GivinItBifters is online now Academy prospect
    As far back as I can remember the first person to make me laugh was a fella called Ken Goodwin - I must have been about 10 years old - who was on an ITV show called The Comedians.

Since then my list goes like this:

Tommy Cooper
    Peter Cook
    Dave Allen
    Billy Connolly
    Victoria Wood
    Graham Fellows (John Shuttleworth)
    Chris Morris
    Stewart Lee
    Mark Steel
    Jonathan Pie

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by GivinItBifters View Post
    As far back as I can remember the first person to make me laugh was a fella called Ken Goodwin - I must have been about 10 years old - who was on an ITV show called The Comedians.

Since then my list goes like this:

Tommy Cooper
    Peter Cook
    Dave Allen
    Billy Connolly
    Victoria Wood
    Graham Fellows (John Shuttleworth)
    Chris Morris
    Stewart Lee
    Mark Steel
    Jonathan Pie
    I struggle to find women comediennes funny,no idea why, the only one i did like a bit was the girl from sunderland
    dont look back in anger.

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    I struggle to find women comediennes funny,no idea why, the only one i did like a bit was the girl from sunderland
    I struggled with that one too. I remember THAT song she did at the piano "I can't do it" which made me laugh. Also Caroline Ahern (Mrs Merton) other than that, standup wise, nothing doing.

Quote Originally Posted by GivinItBifters View Post
    I struggled with that one too. I remember THAT song she did at the piano "I can't do it" which made me laugh. Also Caroline Ahern (Mrs Merton) other than that, standup wise, nothing doing.
    Theres lots of women who are really funny in sitcoms, films, one of my faves is Melissa Mcarthy but i've yet to find a stand up that really makes me laugh out loud
    dont look back in anger.

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Theres lots of women who are really funny in sitcoms, films, one of my faves is Melissa Mcarthy but i've yet to find a stand up that really makes me laugh out loud
    Maria Bamford's earlier work I find hysterical.

I don't find any woman comedians that funny but i laugh at plenty in films, strange.

Best comedian is still dave chappelle
    Eagle Face Moron

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMc9 View Post
    I don't find any woman comedians that funny but i laugh at plenty in films, strange.

i'm exactly the same mate
    dont look back in anger.

Stewart Lee's problem is he is tediously repetitive, dull and unfunny. Having to rely on bullying his audience into forcing a titter out of them.
    I love him and this is part of his on stage persona, his act almost and beats the oh so boring observational naff comedy that is everywhere now.

He does make some people uncomfortable with this and they can see it as some sort of form of intellectual bullying, but I think what he does in that case has sort of passed them by or gone over the head

I really can't see how he can be described as dull and repetitive, the massive range of material he has covered over the years has been incredible really, not to mention writing the Jerry Springer Opera and working with the likes of Armando Ianucci and Chris Morris.

The fact he also sticks to still doing the comedy circuits and tirelessly promotes other stand up's on the circuits is a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    I love him and this is part of his on stage persona, his act almost and beats the oh so boring observational naff comedy that is everywhere now.

He does make some people uncomfortable with this and they can see it as some sort of form of intellectual bullying, but I think what he does in that case has sort of passed them by or gone over the head

I really can't see how he can be described as dull and repetitive, the massive range of material he has covered over the years has been incredible really, not to mention writing the Jerry Springer Opera and working with the likes of Armando Ianucci and Chris Morris.

The fact he also sticks to still doing the comedy circuits and tirelessly promotes other stand up's on the circuits is a good thing
    I agree with what you wrote there. There's a vid of him on Youtube that loops at about 5 mins or so and lasts for about 15. I was fooled by it. It helped of course, that I didn't read the comments before watching as that would have given the game away

Not funny at such but involving a comedian....

Did anyone see the Sarah Silverman (a good funny female comedian, you might remember her from the "I'm *********** Matt Damon" song and Jimmy Kimmels response) Troll conversation? She was basically trolled by a guy and instead of blocking or retaliating she responded to him with compassion. Found out he had slipped disks that he didn't have insurance to fix, reached out to her other followers and organised treatment for him. Very heart warming in these cynical days.

Here if you've not seen it.....

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/blog/sarah...sion-1.4471337
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

RIP comedy actress Bella Emberg
    passed away during the night

Always remembered for her work with Russ Abbot

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    RIP comedy actress Bella Emberg
    passed away during the night

Always remembered for her work with Russ Abbot
    Blunder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    Surely that is your problem and not Stewart Lees, maybe its not just your bag, maybe you just dont get it, which is fine, but I have seen him live a couple of times and I was never bullied, that I can attest to.
    Was he complaining that people weren't laughing enough? As much as they might have been trying.

Was he complaining that people weren't laughing enough? As much as they might have been trying.
    And he's being deadly serious with that too you think?

He also blamed the audience for the death of Robin Williams & other comedians, because they pay to sit there in the darkness, judging, driving comedians to the edge..........would you then think 'How dare he!?' Or realise he's taking the ****

I think his act may have gone over your head somewhat

Liverpoolforme is online now First team regular
    Anyone like Jim Jefferies? The stint he did on gun control is *********** brilliant!

grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolforme View Post
    Anyone like Jim Jefferies? The stint he did on gun control is *********** brilliant!
    His faux politically incorrect persona is something I find quite annoying. But his bit on gun control is quite good I agree.

Don't know if somebody else has already mentioned him but Fat Sam at Goodison is giving me plenty of laughs.

k3v St3wart is offline Armchair supporter
    Stand up comedy these days is all the same, especially the younger generation. Exaggerated observational comedy, youngsters thinking up slightly out of the ordinary scenarios and then pretending they happened to them, a lack of creativity, not my cup of tea.

My favourites were always George Roper, Avril Angers and Frankie Howerd, two of which I was lucky enough to see live shows of back in the late 60s/early 70s

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMc9 View Post

It's not strange at all. Actresses in films aren't doing stand up comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    And he's being deadly serious with that too you think?

He also blamed the audience for the death of Robin Williams & other comedians, because they pay to sit there in the darkness, judging, driving comedians to the edge..........would you then think 'How dare he!?' Or realise he's taking the ****

I think his act may have gone over your head somewhat
    None of Lee's tedious act goes over my head. It's just that he is unfunny. And the reason he doesn't like panel shows is that he hasn't got the talent to do them.

The only people who claim to like him are those who think it makes THEM somehow look "clever".

Quote Originally Posted by k3v St3wart View Post
    Stand up comedy these days is all the same, especially the younger generation. Exaggerated observational comedy, youngsters thinking up slightly out of the ordinary scenarios and then pretending they happened to them, a lack of creativity, not my cup of tea.

My favourites were always George Roper, Avril Angers and Frankie Howerd, two of which I was lucky enough to see live shows of back in the late 60s/early 70s
    Sounds like someone who is still living in the 70s.

None of Lee's tedious act goes over my head. It's just that he is unfunny. And the reason he doesn't like panel shows is that he hasn't got the talent to do them.

The only people who claim to like him are those who think it makes THEM somehow look "clever".
    Yeah I'm quite glad about that. The height of comedy....panel shows

Ah the old, 'if you think this then you must be a!' line of argument

Its just taste isn't it, if its not to your taste fair enough, but based on your critiques you've taken his material remarkably literally and missed the point by several country miles.

That last line is really poor, I personally dislike the stand up comedy of Russell Howard or Lee Mack, of Russell Brand or Bernard Manning back in the day.... but I don't then think 'well anyone who likes their stuff are all stupid and lazy!' Well, maybe bar Bernard Manning

Yes a lot of very average boring stand up's on the gravy train since its become commercially more of a win, observational comedy gone mad. Its naff most of the time, stuff about faulty goods, my kids did this, my old man etc etc

Still some great ones out there who have a little more to offer, just have to dig around a little for them as they won't get on shows like The Apollo which tend to regurgitate most of the same acts, all the Russell's and Jack's and that bouncing squeaky fella, McIntyre

George Roper ....... I'm resisting the mind whore of google and trying to get my pleasure from remembering the sitcom he starred in.

Struggling . His wife had huge hair and teeth. On ITV. Wasn't particularly brilliant , Rising Damp was around and that's hilarious even now .

George and Mildred !!!!! Yes get in , one for the memory bank.

WirralRiddler is online now These posts brought to you by Dr Dre & Only Fools & Horses appreciation society

100% Agree. Well said that man.