Notices
Reply to Thread

Thread: September 2nd 2013...........Where will we be starting XI and Squad wise?

1. #1 euro_cup September 2nd 2013...........Where will we be starting XI and Squad wise? 
    Daymo68 is online now One Post At A Time
    There are many posters on this forum mixed with Optimism & pessimism regarding where Liverpool will be regarding our starting XI & Squad come September 2nd 2013.

We all agree there are a number major areas where the side needs strengthening if we are realistically going to fight for a Champions League spot, and if we were to pick our starting XI now it would not be strong enough to make the top 4 over a season.

I have a feeling that major signings will not be added between now and the above date, because one we do not have the funds available, we will not compete salary wise with competitors, no champions league and also the reason below.

Brendan Rogers is saying that selling Luis Suarez is now not an option as replacing him will be very difficult at this late stage. So if that is case, how do we expect to bring in our own major signings if our managers ethos is this. Won't this be the same for any other club looking to sell quality players and replacing them.

Let me no your thoughts and please no slagging or slating. Everybody's opinion is equal.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

I see your point re: Rodgers admitting we don't have time to sign players and that suggests that a marquee signing is unlikely. I also think that this is a tactic played by Rodgers to justify the non-sale of Suarez.

I'm not sure of our strength and capability to compete for top four, yet I am really looking forward to this season more than I have done for a while. Last season our players didn't understand the 'Philosophy', if you take how we played in those Hearts games (awfully) as a marker and compare our team now, I'm sure you'll agree we're in a much better place.

Also in the last 12 months we've got rid of quite a few big earners and replaced them with players on a more modest salary without compromising the ability of the squad, in many cases improving it.

But to answer your question, I'm not sure their will be any additions. Let me reserve judgement until after the Stoke and Villa games.

Quote Originally Posted by Daymo68 View Post
    There are many posters on this forum mixed with Optimism & pessimism regarding where Liverpool will be regarding our starting XI & Squad come September 2nd 2013.

We all agree there are a number major areas where the side needs strengthening if we are realistically going to fight for a Champions League spot, and if we were to pick our starting XI now it would not be strong enough to make the top 4 over a season.

I have a feeling that major signings will not be added between now and the above date, because one we do not have the funds available, we will not compete salary wise with competitors, no champions league and also the reason below.

Brendan Rogers is saying that selling Luis Suarez is now not an option as replacing him will be very difficult at this late stage. So if that is case, how do we expect to bring in our own major signings if our managers ethos is this. Won't this be the same for any other club looking to sell quality players and replacing them.

Let me no your thoughts and please no slagging or slating. Everybody's opinion is equal.
    have you ever considered that its this thats slowing down any of the higher signings that everyone yearns for?

I love it how you have posted on the proviso that you are talking about our starting 11 but really its just another moan about our transfer window and how you don't think we are going to add anyone.

The club is clearly trying hard to add more players but if they can't there is no point crying about it.

And for the record, I do believe our squad is currently strong enough to challenge for a top 4.

Quote Originally Posted by OLI1879 View Post
    I love it how you have posted on the proviso that you are talking about our starting 11 but really its just another moan about our transfer window and how you don't think we are going to add anyone.

The club is clearly trying hard to add more players but if they can't there is no point crying about it.

And for the record, I do believe our squad is currently strong enough to challenge for a top 4.
    indeed. and even some of the press believe due to our fixtures we could be pace setters this season.

Quote Originally Posted by kal-savik View Post
    indeed. and even some of the press believe due to our fixtures we could be pace setters this season.
    I just love how you pick and choose what you think is good when talking about the press. Its all opinion and most people would not put Liverpool in there top 4.

We are short in our first 11 and its obvious to see.

nd for the record, I do believe our squad is currently strong enough to challenge for a top 4A.
    No Chance.

If there is not a CB addition and a RW addition we will be no different than last season imo. Overall we might perform better in the league, but the team that ended the season was much better than the one that finished the season. IMO, we are not that far off, but we are two very good players away from a realistic chance at 4th.

I just love how you pick and choose what you think is good when talking about the press. Its all opinion and most people would not put Liverpool in there top 4.

We are short in our first 11 and its obvious to see.
    if you look at my previous posts, I have said many times i think we will get top 4. Im not clouded by the hype, i can see how far we have come. Its not to say we dont have work to do, we have. But we are in a good place at the minute compared to previous seasons.

ps.. i still think the press lie. that dont change. if you read the post, I never said I beleived them.

No Chance.
    what areas do you think our first 11 lacks compared to other top 4 contenders?

what areas do you think our first 11 lacks compared to other top 4 contenders?
    We need wide right player. We need another left back and centre back and arguably a defensive midfielder.

Starting XI Saturday

Mignolet
    Johnson
    Agger
    Toure
    Enrique
    Gerrard
    Lucas
    Allen
    Coutinho
    Sturridge
    Aspas

Starting XI post September 3rd
    Mignolet
    Johnson
    Agger
    Toure
    Enrique
    Gerrard
    Lucas
    Coutinho
    Willian
    Sturridge
    Suarez

We need wide right player. We need another left back and centre back and arguably a defensive midfielder.
    And you think Spurs and Arsenal need nothing right?

For me, if Coutinho plays centrally, we need two wide players, (dependant on whether Suarez leaves or not).

I think the other positions would come into bolster the squad i.e left-back, centre-back(if Skrtel/Coates) and a defensive midfielder (although Allen and Henderson are good enough cover).

Squad

Goalkeepers

Mignolet
    Jones

Right Back
    Johnson
    Kelly
    Wisdom
    Flanagan

Left Back
    Enrique

Centre Half
    Agger
    Toure
    Skrtel
    Coates

Midfield
    Gerrard
    Lucas
    Allen
    Henderson
    Alberto

Attacking Midfield
    Coutinho
    Sterling
    Assaidi

Strikers
    Suarez
    Sturridge
    Aspas
    Borini

Way I see it we need more experience in attacking midfield, a left back and another experienced midfield player

Strengths: speed, more impact off the bench, good backbone, fitness

Weaknesses: strength in depth on left, lack of experience

Conclusion

Squad is definitely stronger than last season. We have more options off the bench. Feel that all we are missing is one or two marquee players...if BR can grab Willian that would make things interesting. Concerned about the left-back position although it seems we have secured Sequiera transfer. Our away from last season was good enough for top 4 it was our home form that let us down. If we can improve on our home form we have a chance at 5th and maybe 4th. I do think the usual Top 4 will be looking over their shoulders at us and Spurs (although if Bale leaves moral will be low there). Arsenal are weaker than last season. Chelsea and City will be competing for the title. We started poorly last season and I feel we have a lot more momentum going into this season. Glad we've got Stoke at home because we'll be able to measure our season from game 1. We typically lay down to the alehouse teams which has been the case for the last few seasons. Playing Man U early is also good and if we can take a lot of positive energy into that game we have a chance at surprising a few people this season.

Rose tinted glasses? Of course. Reality? Possible, and that's good enough for me.

Red-And-Proud is online now Community Moderator
    Hopefully pretty same starting XI as we have on Saturday but with a much better squad bench, with game changers and strong defenders.

I think early last season we had inconsistent results because the names on the squad were inconsistent, understandable but hope this time the new signings will be gently placed in to the team, rather that shoved.

I can see this team

Mingolet
    Johnson
    Agger
    Toure
    Enrique

Lucas
    Gerrard

Allen
    Aspas
    Couthino
    Sturridge.

Or something like that, likely to be the same on September 2nd, baring injuries or terrible form.

I really believe we have a half decent squad,certainly better than the start of last season, a few more experienced players would do us no harm, but I honestly think the key to our season is keeping Sturridge fit, he is a more natural goal scorer than Suarez so if he gets any kind of decent service he could score a lot of goals. I am hoping that with a couple of additions to the squad we can get a top 4 finish but realistically with what we have probably 6th.

Answering the question posed in the title of this thread...

Starting XI (02.09.13)

Mignolet

Johnson Toure Agger Siqueira

Lucas Gerrard

Suarez Coutinho Willian

Sturridge

Squad (02.09.13)

GK: Mignolet, Jones, Ward
    RB: Johnson, Kelly
    LB: Siqueira, Enrique
    CB: Toure, Agger, Skrtel, Wisdom, Coates
    MF: Lucas, Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Alberto
    W/AM: Sterling, Ibe, Willian, Coutinho
    FW: Suarez, Sturridge, Aspas, Borini

Quote Originally Posted by louisesuarez View Post
    Answering the question posed in the title of this thread...

Starting XI (02.09.13)

Mignolet

Johnson Toure Agger Siqueira

Lucas Gerrard

Suarez Coutinho Willian

Sturridge

Squad (02.09.13)

GK: Mignolet, Jones, Ward
    RB: Johnson, Kelly
    LB: Siqueira, Enrique
    CB: Toure, Agger, Skrtel, Wisdom, Coates
    MF: Lucas, Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Alberto
    W/AM: Sterling, Ibe, Willian, Coutinho
    FW: Suarez, Sturridge, Aspas, Borini
    Yes please

TheSoundLady is online now Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by Red-And-Proud View Post
    Or something like that, likely to be the same on September 2nd, baring injuries or terrible form.
    Plus Cissokho, Willian and Sakho

can i just point out that suarez (if he stays) wont be in the starting xi until the southampton game on september the 21st. thats if the gaffer wants to start him