Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 109

Thread: Dementia

  1. #61  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,263
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny65 View Post
    That sounds hard going Kas.
    Hope you've got some support for yourself through this.
    I'm okay thanks shiny;I'd rather he passed away whilst in possession of some of his faculties.
    He wouldn't want to end up confined to bed for years,unable to speak or move, and I don't want that for him either.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #62  
    aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    51,096
    You have alot on Kaz, I feel for you

    In my prayers
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #63  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,263
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    You have alot on Kaz, I feel for you

    In my prayers
    I'll be starting one of those "**** Off 2017" threads at this rate.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #64  
    aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    51,096
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    I'll be starting one of those "**** Off 2017" threads at this rate.
    yeah, we've had a few years like that, gets to december and we have one of those "hope it's better year next this one was ****" conversations.
    dont look back in anger.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #65  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    27,343
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    I'll be starting one of those "**** Off 2017" threads at this rate.
    All the best. Anytime you need to talk, we'll be here.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #66  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    27,343
    I don't mean to sound ignorant or tasteless but what is the difference (if any) between dementia and Alzheimer's?
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #67  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    I don't mean to sound ignorant or tasteless but what is the difference (if any) between dementia and Alzheimer's?
    Alzheimers is a form of dementia.
    The difference between something like vascular dementia and Alzheimers is the way the illness progresses.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #68  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    27,343
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    Alzheimers is a form of dementia.
    The difference between something like vascular dementia and Alzheimers is the way the illness progresses.
    Ok. Thank you.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #69  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    Ok. Thank you.
    My friend once asked a nurse the same question and was told "One's a staircase,the other's more like a slope".
    I'd say my father's condition falls into the 'staircase' category;no change for a while,suddenly worse,no change for a while.....and so on.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #70  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    27,343
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    My friend once asked a nurse the same question and was told "One's a staircase,the other's more like a slope".
    I'd say my father's condition falls into the 'staircase' category;no change for a while,suddenly worse,no change for a while.....and so on.
    Interesting. How old is your father? Sorry if you already answered that a previous post.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #71  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    Interesting. How old is your father? Sorry if you already answered that a previous post.
    He's eighty eight,old enough to be my grandfather.
    My parents were married for a long time before they had kids.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #72  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    27,343
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    He's eighty eight,old enough to be my grandfather.
    My parents were married for a long time before they had kids.
    All the best to you and your dad. Like I said before, we're here if you need to talk anytime.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #73  
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    23,079
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    He's eighty eight,old enough to be my grandfather.
    My parents were married for a long time before they had kids.
    Hope you're ok Kas, my nan suffered with dementia and I know how much it really hurt my mom.

    Hope you have people around you to fall back on when you need it mate
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #74  
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,039
    I can't remember in which scientific journal it was published recently, but there seems to be a link between lack of deep or "slow" sleep and Alzheimer's disease. Deep sleep (as opposed to Rapid Eye Movement sleep) appears to clear away in the brain the beta amyloid protein and, to a lesser extent, tau, that are associated with the disease. This does not mean that everyone who has troubles sleeping will inevitably get the disease, but the chances of getting it rise with sleep problems.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #75  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,263
    My father's still not eating and getting weaker by the day,he's so tired now he can hardly move.
    The doctor was called out to him again at the weekend and I've been asked to contact her about setting up a DNR order.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #76  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,725
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    My father's still not eating and getting weaker by the day,he's so tired now he can hardly move.
    The doctor was called out to him again at the weekend and I've been asked to contact her about setting up a DNR order.
    Had to do that for my ol' mum. And Mrs Diddler the same for both her parents.


    It's a rotten thing to have to consider and then go through. Be strong, Kas dear.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #77  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,263
    Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Had to do that for my ol' mum. And Mrs Diddler the same for both her parents.


    It's a rotten thing to have to consider and then go through. Be strong, Kas dear.
    This might sound like a joke [i promise you it isn't] but the way they operate down here he'll probably pass away before the doctor answers the phone.
    Last edited by kas74; 17-8-17 at 13:32.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #78  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,725
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    This might sound like a joke [i promise you it isn't] but the way they operate down here he'll probably pass away before the doctor answer the phone.
    That's a poor situation, indeed.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #79  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,263
    Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    That's a poor situation, indeed.
    We're lucky to have a doctor,friends of ours have to phone some place in Cardiff and get diagnosed over the phone.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #80  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,725
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    We're lucky to have a doctor,friends of ours have to phone some place in Cardiff and get diagnosed over the phone.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #81  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,263
    The doctor got back to me this morning about the DNR order[finally] and everything should be in place before the end of the month.
    It's very sad but I know it's what my dad would want.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #82  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,112
    Sad indeed but as you say you know you've made the right choice.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #83  
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,417
    Having lost mam three years ago to Dementia, old age really she was 93 (but she went through a terrible long decline with Dementia and thats what they put on the D.cert) as well as my sister to Cancer, I've spent the last three weeks or so daily with a dear friend who is receiving palliative care at her home. She's now drifting in and out of consciousness and beginning to not recognise anyone and the flashbacks to a few years ago are frighteningly similar.

    I don't really even know why I'm writing this here but I just want to say to anyone out there who has friends/relatives suffering from Dementia or in the final stages that you and your families have my deepest sympathy. It's a time for people to hold together and to understand that life is so fragile and short.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #84  
    ONDEFENCE is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    31,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidared View Post
    Having lost mam three years ago to Dementia, old age really she was 93 (but she went through a terrible long decline with Dementia and thats what they put on the D.cert) as well as my sister to Cancer, I've spent the last three weeks or so daily with a dear friend who is receiving palliative care at her home. She's now drifting in and out of consciousness and beginning to not recognise anyone and the flashbacks to a few years ago are frighteningly similar.

    I don't really even know why I'm writing this here but I just want to say to anyone out there who has friends/relatives suffering from Dementia or in the final stages that you and your families have my deepest sympathy. It's a time for people to hold together and to understand that life is so fragile and short.
    We are a red family and if posting this helps great.YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #85  
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by ONDEFENCE View Post
    We are a red family and if posting this helps great.YNWA
    Well said. Our forum is a place for people who share a common love and commitment to LFC and a place where we can encourage each other whether it be regarding footie or any other aspect of our lives.

    I can't believe how many people I meet who are in one way or other dealing with the stress of dementia in the family or close circle of friends. It's sad to think that dementia and MH in general is still so stigmatised, almost a taboo subject.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #86  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,444
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    My father's been in a nursing home for almost two years,there are at least half a dozen people there who haven't had a single visitor in that time.
    Terrible isnt it.
    My father died in Aug aged 91. His 92nd is tomorrow and all of us are getting together to be with my mum (who's 86) on this day.

    He had dementia (vascular i think they called it) and had been in a nursing home since June 2016. They were brilliant in there, i dont know how they can do what they do.

    There was a 55 yr old woman there with dementia. 55!!! It was quite shocking. We used to visit at least once a week (2hrs away) and my younger brother and mum who lived locally were visiting daily. Funeral was 30th Aug and i miss him so much..the man he was anyway.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #87  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,444
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    My father's still not eating and getting weaker by the day,he's so tired now he can hardly move.
    The doctor was called out to him again at the weekend and I've been asked to contact her about setting up a DNR order.
    Yeah we did that for my dad. Its desperately sad but tbh he would be the last person to have wanted it. If he had had all his faculties he wouldnt have even gone into the care home. He once said to my son (his grandson) that he couldnt believe he was still alive and this was when he was 87.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #88  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,263
    Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    Terrible isnt it.
    My father died in Aug aged 91. His 92nd is tomorrow and all of us are getting together to be with my mum (who's 86) on this day.

    He had dementia (vascular i think they called it) and had been in a nursing home since June 2016. They were brilliant in there, i dont know how they can do what they do.

    There was a 55 yr old woman there with dementia. 55!!! It was quite shocking. We used to visit at least once a week (2hrs away) and my younger brother and mum who lived locally were visiting daily. Funeral was 30th Aug and i miss him so much..the man he was anyway.
    My grandfather was about fifty four when his dementia was diagnosed;I never knew him but he had to be admitted to a nursing home soon after being diagnosed because my grandmother couldn't cope.
    No matter how careful she was about locking up he'd find a way to get out,run down to the dock and try to board one of the trawlers.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #89  
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    Terrible isnt it.
    My father died in Aug aged 91. His 92nd is tomorrow and all of us are getting together to be with my mum (who's 86) on this day.

    He had dementia (vascular i think they called it) and had been in a nursing home since June 2016. They were brilliant in there, i dont know how they can do what they do.

    There was a 55 yr old woman there with dementia. 55!!! It was quite shocking. We used to visit at least once a week (2hrs away) and my younger brother and mum who lived locally were visiting daily. Funeral was 30th Aug and i miss him so much..the man he was anyway.
    Sorry to read of your loss and circumstances, must have been a rough old time, you enjoy your meet with your ma and enjoy the family. You're right, the staff in the care homes and hospices are unbelievable, seriously I wouldn't last a week, dedication is incredible and they really make a difference.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #90  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidared View Post
    Sorry to read of your loss and circumstances, must have been a rough old time, you enjoy your meet with your ma and enjoy the family. You're right, the staff in the care homes and hospices are unbelievable, seriously I wouldn't last a week, dedication is incredible and they really make a difference.
    Thanks yes it was lovely. My mum was admitted to hospital on top of everything else(!) with a stomach bug and dehydration (she's 86) but came on on Friday right as rain. Really sparkly. She needs to drink more water she knows that. It was a lovely lunchtime all 8 of us plus daughter's boyfriend and 2 friends of my mum.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •