Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 91 to 109 of 109

Thread: Dementia

  1. #91  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,237
    Just back from visiting my father,he's having a very bad day:tired,confused and hardly able to move or speak.
    I ended up cutting the visit short because he kept nodding off.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #92  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,442
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    Just back from visiting my father,he's having a very bad day:tired,confused and hardly able to move or speak.
    I ended up cutting the visit short because he kept nodding off.
    Oh god yeah that was just like our visits to my dad over the past months. Yre showing up and engaging with him thats all you can do. Dont feel guilty about cutting visits short, its the way things are. Keep talking to him as hearing is the last faculty to go and holding his hand. Feel for you. It is difficult without a doubt. My mum found it very difficult seeing her husband of 65 years like that.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #93  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,237
    Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    Oh god yeah that was just like our visits to my dad over the past months. Yre showing up and engaging with him thats all you can do. Dont feel guilty about cutting visits short, its the way things are. Keep talking to him as hearing is the last faculty to go and holding his hand. Feel for you. It is difficult without a doubt. My mum found it very difficult seeing her husband of 65 years like that.
    My last couple of visits haven't been to bad;he was able to get up, walk to his room with me and although a lot of what he said didn't make sense he was quite talkative.
    Today though he was right back to the state that had the doctor thinking he'd be lucky to last another week.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #94  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,283
    Kas, i think my father has dementia, although doc won't say. He asks same questions over and over a gain. Remembers things that happened years ago but not minutes, hours or days ago. Surrprisingly he knows apointments and things that has to be done. Is that dementia?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #95  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,237
    Quote Originally Posted by IDREAMOFGINI View Post
    Kas, i think my father has dementia, although doc won't say. He asks same questions over and over a gain. Remembers things that happened years ago but not minutes, hours or days ago. Surrprisingly he knows apointments and things that has to be done. Is that dementia?
    It's possible,we lost touch with my father so I didn't really see the early signs.By the time I got him to the doctor for a memory test he'd been suffering with it for about two years and scored one out of a possible ten on the test.
    He knew his name but not how old he was or who was prime minister.He did however remember things like appointments and for the most part was still paying his household bills.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #96  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,283
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    It's possible,we lost touch with my father so I didn't really see the early signs.By the time I got him to the doctor for a memory test he'd been suffering with it for about two years and scored one out of a possible ten on the test.
    He knew his name but not how old he was or who was prime minister.He did however remember things like appointments and for the most part was still paying his household bills.
    My dad, wouldn't know who's prime minister, but would always be on saying this has to be done, etc. I worry because i hear scare stories like he'll eventually not know us, but.....
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #97  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,237
    Quote Originally Posted by IDREAMOFGINI View Post
    My dad, wouldn't know who's prime minister, but would always be on saying this has to be done, etc. I worry because i hear scare stories like he'll eventually not know us, but.....
    My father hasn't known my name for over a year but I'm pretty sure he still knows I'm his daughter.
    At the very least he recognises me as someone who visits him a lot.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #98  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,442
    When my dad died on 17th Aug her'd been in the care home since June 2016 but had not really been with it for at least 3months prior to that. When he went into the home in June 2016 and we visited he recognised us for quite a while and knew our names. That went around March this year when he stopped recognising my wife, his daughter in law of 27 years but he just about remembered me and my 2 brothers. We just kept talking to him giving him the news of his grandchildren. My daughter went travelling between March and July so we told him all about that even though he didnt give us anything back that he'd heard us.

    Thing is now he's gone I remember him not from the last 16mths but from when he was the dad who was glad to see us all when we visited, the dad who was so happy I was taking my wife to India in Feb 2016, where he and my mum were born..those are my memories.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #99  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,442
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    My father hasn't known my name for over a year but I'm pretty sure he still knows I'm his daughter.
    At the very least he recognises me as someone who visits him a lot.
    That is sad Kas but he will still know feelings associated with you eg that you love him. Keep talking. Keep holding his hand.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #100  
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    16,260
    Anyone with anybody with Frontotemporal Dementia in their family?

    I know an old chap who's developed this degenerative mental condition. It is scary! very similar to Alzheimers but can affect younger ages as young as 45 and influences more the mood and behaviour as well as the memory. He has become very awkward. Any experiences with that?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #101  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Anyone with anybody with Frontotemporal Dementia in their family?

    I know an old chap who's developed this degenerative mental condition. It is scary! very similar to Alzheimers but can affect younger ages as young as 45 and influences more the mood and behaviour as well as the memory. He has become very awkward. Any experiences with that?
    yes. being awkward is common with my dad. Its like he has to be in control all of the time and no matter how many things you do for him, he never appreciates it. Also has a flitty mind. One minute he has an opinion, a few minutes later he can have a totally different opinion.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #102  
    Socratease is offline LFC Forums Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    17,423
    A footballing and sports link to consider when heading a ball over time and the impacts to the head in other sports.

    I still remember a day as a young teenager heading a heavy casey leather ball from quite a height as it made the vertebrae in my neck creek!

    The possible link to dementia is considered from various angles: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09g0gzk


    ,
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #103  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,237
    I've just been reading back through this thread and realised it's now eight weeks since the doctor told me he was going to drop the DNR paperwork at the nursing home.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #104  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,237
    I'm off to visit my father later this morning,not looking forward to it as my last four visits have consisted of nothing other than watching him sleep.
    I usually end up talking to an elderly lady whose accent is so posh I can only understand about half of what she says.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #105  
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Socratease View Post
    A footballing and sports link to consider when heading a ball over time and the impacts to the head in other sports.

    I still remember a day as a young teenager heading a heavy casey leather ball from quite a height as it made the vertebrae in my neck creek!

    The possible link to dementia is considered from various angles: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09g0gzk


    ,
    Not quite on your topic Socratease, but I was a goalkeeper and on winters or wet days, to actually be able to have the strength to reach the half way line with a goal kick was a heck of an achievement!!!
    loyal since 1960.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #106  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,442
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    I'm off to visit my father later this morning,not looking forward to it as my last four visits have consisted of nothing other than watching him sleep.
    I usually end up talking to an elderly lady whose accent is so posh I can only understand about half of what she says.
    my mum is now in a rehab ward having been in hospital since 9th Oct for a sickness bug (and no appetite) caused by the drug Donepezil which she is taking for Alzheimers. So she was in hospital getting worse because of a drug she was taking. Theyve now reduced the dose from 10mg to 5mg and saying it will affect her memory! Shes 86 and id rather she was eating of and not being sick and having bouts of diarrheoa
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #107  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,442
    Quote Originally Posted by mountbeautygeorge View Post
    Not quite on your topic Socratease, but I was a goalkeeper and on winters or wet days, to actually be able to have the strength to reach the half way line with a goal kick was a heck of an achievement!!!
    yep remember those wet leather footballs which became like medicine balls they were so heavy.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #108  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,237
    Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    my mum is now in a rehab ward having been in hospital since 9th Oct for a sickness bug (and no appetite) caused by the drug Donepezil which she is taking for Alzheimers. So she was in hospital getting worse because of a drug she was taking. Theyve now reduced the dose from 10mg to 5mg and saying it will affect her memory! Shes 86 and id rather she was eating of and not being sick and having bouts of diarrheoa
    My father hasn't eaten properly for over a year,he's nothing but skin and bones now.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #109  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,237
    Yesterday I got a call from a nurse asking if I could attend a meeting next month to discuss my father's best interests and put something in writing to ensure he doesn't end up in and out of hospital for whatever time he has left.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •