Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: Spurs vs. Liverpool, 15th Dec 2013 - KO @ 1600

1. #1 Default Match Thread: Spurs vs. Liverpool, 15th Dec 2013 - KO @ 1600 
    Arsenal win today and we win next week and all of a sudden we have a bit of breathing space in the top four. Regardless of the result today and we lose next week and all of a sudden Spurs are level on points with us (how has that happened). I'm going to go out on a limb here and say if we win next weekend then I think we'll definitely make top four. That would mean we could lose to both city and Chelsea and still be ahead of spurs and Man Utd.

How do you think we'll do? Bit annoying that Spurs are cracking out wins playing so badly but then that's what good teams do? We will get the victory? Will Gerrard be out?
    Last edited by holywood; 9-12-13 at 11:42.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan82 View Post
    Arsenal win today and we win next week and all of a sudden we have a bit of breathing space in the top four. Regardless of the result today and we lose next week and all of a sudden Spurs are level on points with us (how has that happened). I'm going to go out on a limb here and say if we win next weekend then I think we'll definitely make top four. That would mean we could lose to both city and Chelsea and still be ahead of spurs and Man Utd.

How do you think we'll do? Bit annoying that Spurs are cracking out wins playing so badly but then that's what good teams do? We will get the victory? Will Gerrard be out?
    For me, it's a 50/50 game. If Suarez is on top form we'll win I think, Spurs defence won't handle him. We need to use the ball well when in possession and not let Spurs stretch the game, allowing the likes of Townsend and Lennon 1 on 1 with Johnson and Flanagan.

I seem to be in the minority in thinking Spurs aren't pants and are still a huge top 4 factor.

AVB despite being annoying isn't stupid and will have noticed that 2 things we don't cope we'll with are consistent central midfield pressing, and dealing with wingers whipping the ball into the box. They have the personnel to do both those things.

That said, if players like PHIL and Luis can get a foothold then I think we'll cause them problems.

Big midfield battle coming up, I think.

holywood is online now Community Moderator
    Will Gerrard be fit?

Thebeastyboy is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    I seem to be in the minority in thinking Spurs aren't pants and are still a huge top 4 factor.

AVB despite being annoying isn't stupid and will have noticed that 2 things we don't cope we'll with are consistent central midfield pressing, and dealing with wingers whipping the ball into the box. They have the personnel to do both those things.

That said, if players like PHIL and Luis can get a foothold then I think we'll cause them problems.

Who would you play? I'd go with Gerrard, Allen and Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by holywood View Post
    Will Gerrard be fit?
    no chance will he start even if he is, just not worth it.... give lucas allen and hendo a run in midfield, gerrard has only had a handful of good performances this season and i think a few people have been calling for this

Will Gerrard be fit?
    I'll be surprised to see him start or even make the bench next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Binomial View Post
    no chance will he start even if he is, just not worth it.... give lucas allen and hendo a run in midfield, gerrard has only had a handful of good performances this season and i think a few people have been calling for this
    Ideally I'd go with Allen, Henderson and Coutinho in the middle.

Ideally I'd go with Allen, Henderson and Coutinho in the middle.
    It could be risky against Paulinho and Sandro, there's a potential for Allen and Henderson to get bullied out of the game. If Gerrard's not fit then Lucas has to play.

Tottenham is not a good team this season, especially upfront (15 goals in 15 games?). We have to beat a team like this if we want to play Champions League next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood-Rose View Post
    It could be risky against Paulinho and Sandro, there's a potential for Allen and Henderson to get bullied out of the game. If Gerrard's not fit then Lucas has to play.
    I don't they are prone to being bullied. Spurs will try to keep possession and we need to pressure them. Allen & Henderson are best at that.

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post

im i the minority too

spurs are still gtting result

but this is a huge game and a masive opportunity for us to make a statement of where we wanna be next may

I don't they are prone to being bullied. Spurs will try to keep possession and we need to pressure them. Allen & Henderson are best at that.
    Lucas, Allen and Henderson all have to start next week or we will lose the match in the midfield area, we have have to put out a team with the idea of at least coming away with a point.

Sure as death and taxes some things can be guaranteed next week ...

Lloris will have the game of his life ... Soldado will play and look deadly ... Spurs will suddenly 'wake up'

They ALWAYS lift themselves when they play us ... simply because they KNOW we are a huge rival for what they want to achieve.

I'd be happy with a point ... Based on current form it should be close ... all depends if we play with confidence or stand off them and give them too much respect.

***Stuzzza*** is online now Academy prospect

FAR FAR too early to be making statements like that.

A win next weekend guarantees nothing, just like a defeat would rule nothing out, still far too many games to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuzza View Post
    FAR FAR too early to be making statements like that.

A win next weekend guarantees nothing, just like a defeat would rule nothing out, still far too many games to play.
    I know it's too early it's just my gut reaction. This is the confidence booster, belief building game that we need. We should be beating man Utd at Anfield and we used to win a lot at Goodison so the fact that we have a win, lose and draw against the only big teams we have played it's not exactly mind blowing. A win at spurs however not only puts daylight between us, it's gives us belief and dampens theirs. As great as Newcastle and Southampton have been you have to believe they will fall away. So to be so far ahead of spurs, man Utd after 16 games with city, arsenal, Chelsea and spurs to play at Anfield in second half, then I truly believe we'll make it. Sturridge to return, Enrique back and talk of two big transfers in January. Gotta be optimistic (if we win that is).

I know it's too early it's just my gut reaction. This is the confidence booster, belief building game that we need. We should be beating man Utd at Anfield and we used to win a lot at Goodison so the fact that we have a win, lose and draw against the only big teams we have played it's not exactly mind blowing. A win at spurs however not only puts daylight between us, it's gives us belief and dampens theirs. As great as Newcastle and Southampton have been you have to believe they will fall away. So to be so far ahead of spurs, man Utd after 16 games with city, arsenal, Chelsea and spurs to play at Anfield in second half, then I truly believe we'll make it. Sturridge to return, Enrique back and talk of two big transfers in January. Gotta be optimistic (if we win that is).
    But this is exactly my point, we've got to remain optimistic win lose or draw.

Yes of course a win would be great, but it settles nothing.

Likewise a defeat would be disappointing but not the end of the world.

Building up one match as season defining is just pointless.

But this is exactly my point, we've got to remain optimistic win lose or draw.

Yes of course a win would be great, but it settles nothing.

Likewise a defeat would be disappointing but not the end of the world.

Building up one match as season defining is just pointless.
    it would be a stament of intent to go batter them at their place

they are top four rivals. its a six pointer really

I know it's a week away but I'm already excited about this one. I think it's our biggest game of the season so far, a 6 pointer.
    Spurs home form has been poor with only 3 home wins out of 7, while we have recorded just 2 away wins out of 7.

Even after back to back away wins, I think the home crowd will get on the team's back if we can dominate early on.

Stevie G is a doubt for the game but it's good to see Allen back on form to fill the gap a bit should he miss out.

Should we go all out for the win or would you be happy with a draw?

It would be great to do the Spuds on there own turf.

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post

It is a six pointer. Exactly. Massive massive game. If we can win one of these big three away games and win against Cardiff then the new year will look more appealing

Quote Originally Posted by Thebeastyboy View Post
    Who would you play? I'd go with Gerrard, Allen and Lucas
    Assuming Gerrard makes it, I'd go 4-5-1 with Coutinho as the extra man in midfield pushing forward.

Quote Originally Posted by darraghw View Post
    I know it's a week away but I'm already excited about this one. I think it's our biggest game of the season so far, a 6 pointer.
    Spurs home form has been poor with only 3 home wins out of 7, while we have recorded just 2 away wins out of 7.

Even after back to back away wins, I think the home crowd will get on the team's back if we can dominate early on.

Stevie G is a doubt for the game but it's good to see Allen back on form to fill the gap a bit should he miss out.

Should we go all out for the win or would you be happy with a draw?
    We should go there for the win.

Yes, I agree with all of that.

What this game will NOT do though is decide whether we finish top 4 or not.

I think this will be the game that we HAVE to take at all cost.We can get results against Chelsea and City despite what most of us think ,but without Gerard and Sturridge and with our current full backs I am not so sure we can cope with speed of Spurs wings or midfield of Sandro ,Dembele and Paulinho.At the end you never know - we may play the game of our live or switch off like Hull.
    Huge games ahead - it will be make or brake for our top 4 chances.

Yes, I agree with all of that.

What this game will NOT do though is decide whether we finish top 4 or not.
    i also think we can give chelsea and city a game to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by livermaina View Post
    I think this will be the game that we HAVE to take at all cost.We can get results against Chelsea and City despite what most of us think ,but without Gerard and Sturridge and with our current full backs I am not so sure we can cope with speed of Spurs wings or midfield of Sandro ,Dembele and Paulinho.At the end you never know - we may play the game of our live or switch off like Hull.
    Huge games ahead - it will be make or brake for our top 4 chances.
    we totally outplayed spur away last year
    i fancy a ddraw in this one

a win would be great

Lazar-Quest-For-The-Title is online now Directors Box
    It's Way too early to be classed as a 6 pointer, as stuzza says win, lose or draw will not make be the be all an end all of things for us or spurs.. We are going to drop points along the way this season along with others so its a case of dropping fewer than our rivals not necessarily to our rivals..

If offered id gladly walk away with a point right now..

we totally outplayed spur away last year
    i fancy a ddraw in this one

a win would be great
    Spurs from last year are different team...

Quote Originally Posted by livermaina View Post
    Spurs from last year are different team...
    are they any better though