Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Healthy Living: A thread for a healthy lifestyle

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    They missed a trick - halloween should be just after Christmas - the kids would clean up with people getting rid of unhealthy sweets, chocolates...crisps, cake...cheese, booze, ciggies

I just want someone to knock on the door and take away my temptations...
    Good thinking,I'm sure the kiddies would be delighted with a small bottle of port and half a pound of Stilton.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    Good thinking,I'm sure the kiddies would be delighted with a small bottle of port and half a pound of Stilton.
    Might start getting a few grown up ghouls...or pretentious teens like my nephew.

They missed a trick - halloween should be just after Christmas - the kids would clean up with people getting rid of unhealthy sweets, chocolates...crisps, cake...cheese, booze, ciggies

I just want someone to knock on the door and take away my temptations...
    Haha

I palmed all my left over chocolate off on my nephew, there was soo much of it, I felt like I put on a crap load of wight over Christmas, I have not had the bottle to get on the scales as of yet !

I lost 3 stone last year, swimming twice a week and eating an actual balanced diet instead of shoveling crap and snacks down me all day !

I am gonna give it a right go this year, from having countless health issues for years.

I was bought the 3 Joe Wicks books for Xmas, so i am gonna get into them and create a plan of eating a fair few meals a day. Need to read up to work out what i need to eat and how much in weight. Macrros is it and all that.

For the first few months i am gonna try doing everything from home not in gym.

I will be starting his HIT videos. I had a spine operation the other year so i am gonna get an exercise bench called the Wondercore which supports the back. Get some weights and pull up bar etc.

I am not gonna put any time limit on it, just get used to eating in the right manner, slowly increase exercise to the point of giving it a right good hit.

foreverred-1973 is online now 100% Concentrated
    I'm a type 1 diabetic and am very aware of nutrition. We buy only organic food and look out for the Demeter label where ever it's possible, not only because of health reasons but also because of sustainability. We bake our own bread, we cultivate our own salads and also sprouts. We cook all our meals ourselves very diversifiedand rarely go to restaurants, because the quality at home is better than in most of the restaurants. If we go to a restaurant then usualy to a high end restaurant to make some new cooking experiences. We run three times a week 10 to 15 km at moderate speed. The one thing which affects me badly is watching the REDS as I'm so nervous that my blood sugar level climbs to horrific values.
    Thank God I'm an Atheist!

I recently read that egg yolks are high in choline, which is good for the brain. Does the benefit of choline outweigh the possible detriment from the cholesterol in egg yolks?

Quote Originally Posted by Toredo View Post
    I recently read that egg yolks are high in choline, which is good for the brain. Does the benefit of choline outweigh the possible detriment from the cholesterol in egg yolks?
    Depends how much cholesterol you get elsewhere, plenty of top sports people and athletes swear by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Toredo View Post
    Eggs are no longer considered bad for you.

Eggs are no longer considered bad for you.
    Fried ones are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    Fried ones are.
    To be fair. If you are eating fried eggs then for one you are not bothered about your health and for another, a poached egg on a full breakfast never works

Quote Originally Posted by Eggz View Post
    To be fair. If you are eating fried eggs then for one you are not bothered about your health and for another, a poached egg on a full breakfast never works
    Agree, I like your name .

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    Agree, I like your name .
    Now, i am bad for anyones health

You could argue that even with a fried egg, it depends what it is fried in and how long it is fried.

On the whole though fried eggs are the worst sort, but one here and there will be fine.

If you are having a full fry up regularly, then you dont really care for your health anyway !

Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    You could argue that even with a fried egg, it depends what it is fried in and how long it is fried.

On the whole though fried eggs are the worst sort, but one here and there will be fine.

If you are having a full fry up regularly, then you dont really care for your health anyway !
    Fried on butter or fat.
    Another thing. People should drink lemon water, dandelion tea. Good against greasy liver. But the lemon is not good for the teeth.
    And nettle tea is a good detox
    Last edited by Anubis; 5-1-17 at 18:54.

Frying foods increases the caloric intake and deep frying or frying breaded foods is particularly bad. However, frying eggs can be less detrimental if they are not fried in butter. Frying leads to more absorption of the fat in the item being fried and frying at relatively low temperatures means more absorption.

Ahhh but again this is assuming that fat is bad when it really isn't, butter, full fat milk, eggs in particular are great not bad. If you are frying everything up then yes its a problem but this is my whole point, people are being badly misinformed about 'fatty foods' and seeing them as an enemy.

I have a lower carbs intake and higher fat intake, have stuck to it through most of last year from starting in the summer and I lost 7% body fat and never felt better while gaining muscle (that is the training element of course).

Eat fats, just look into the good fats as they have so many benefits, especially if you are active too

The misinformation on fats is quite bad really here in the UK IMO, people are informed to have low fat this and low fat that, make sure you have lots of carbs, but its a nonsense in some cases and our collective obesity levels have dramatically gone up based potentially on that guidance

Also, food is that packaged as fat free or low fat is often stuffed with sugar instead and does you no good at all.

Someone mentioned it on another page but you really can't beat food made at home from real ingredients, most of the packaged stuff advertised as healthy is anything but

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Ahhh but again this is assuming that fat is bad when it really isn't, butter, full fat milk, eggs in particular are great not bad. If you are frying everything up then yes its a problem but this is my whole point, people are being badly misinformed about 'fatty foods' and seeing them as an enemy.

I have a lower carbs intake and higher fat intake, have stuck to it through most of last year from starting in the summer and I lost 7% body fat and never felt better while gaining muscle (that is the training element of course).

Eat fats, just look into the good fats as they have so many benefits, especially if you are active too

The misinformation on fats is quite bad really here in the UK IMO, people are informed to have low fat this and low fat that, make sure you have lots of carbs, but its a nonsense in some cases and our collective obesity levels have dramatically gone up based potentially on that guidance

Also, food is that packaged as fat free or low fat is often stuffed with sugar instead and does you no good at all.

Someone mentioned it on another page but you really can't beat food made at home from real ingredients, most of the packaged stuff advertised as healthy is anything but
    The big graphic tick on the package 'approved by the heart foundation'.... makes the product look healthy.... but it usually only applies to one aspect.

Check the list of ingredients on the back - often in 2pt Myopia - if the fat content is low, then often sugar and sodium are still way up over the line. If it's 'low in sugar' the others are likely to be high.

Very rare for everything to be perfectly safe in packaged/processed stuff.

Fresh ingredients, like you say. We grow a small amount of our own food, and buy the rest from a decent fresh veg shop.

Over the year, in a couple of houses, we've grown bananas, plums, apples, grapefruit, feijoa, mandarins, courgettes, strawberries, potatoes, rhubarb, carrots, silverbeet, kale, lettuce, tomatoes, limes, beetroot, pumpkin, mint, basil, thyme, parsley and rosemary. But not all at the same time, of course!!!!

aylesbyred is offline Boot Room insider
    Is anyone any good at countering fatigue, I've tried all sorts; healthy food, eating breakfast, not eating breakfast, not eating after 6; I'm always tired; unable to get off to sleep so have about 5 hours, I overthink all sorts - been tested for all sorts and nothing shows up; excercise has dropped off a bit; normally I would walk a lot sometimes run or walk 5 mile a week and cycle about 30-50mile

Always tired, doing my head in !

Am gonna have another look at meditation I think

I hate it that people will see it as a new years resolution, but my missus handed in her dissertation last week and we had both agreed to get back into top shape once she was done.

Back at the gym, the vitamix is back out for juices and smoothies and did an insanity class to kick it off a few days ago. Am right sore now so have a 90 minute Swedish massage booked this evening to ease the pain.

As the weather gets nicer I do love pounding the road for hour long runs; I know they aren't necessarily the most effective way of getting in shape but I do it more for thinking time and fresh air (well, in London so not fresh). However after reading the comments here am a bit worried about my knees as my dad's are in poor shape so don't want to end up like that.

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Is anyone any good at countering fatigue, I've tried all sorts; healthy food, eating breakfast, not eating breakfast, not eating after 6; I'm always tired; unable to get off to sleep so have about 5 hours, I overthink all sorts - been tested for all sorts and nothing shows up; excercise has dropped off a bit; normally I would walk a lot sometimes run or walk 5 mile a week and cycle about 30-50mile

A decent walk is one of the traditional remedies, but you already do that. Overthinking stuff doesn't help... but perhaps the meditation will.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    I hate it that people will see it as a new years resolution, but my missus handed in her dissertation last week and we had both agreed to get back into top shape once she was done.

Back at the gym, the vitamix is back out for juices and smoothies and did an insanity class to kick it off a few days ago. Am right sore now so have a 90 minute Swedish massage booked this evening to ease the pain.

As the weather gets nicer I do love pounding the road for hour long runs; I know they aren't necessarily the most effective way of getting in shape but I do it more for thinking time and fresh air (well, in London so not fresh). However after reading the comments here am a bit worried about my knees as my dad's are in poor shape so don't want to end up like that.
    Stay on the grass, mate.

Walk on hard, run on soft.

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post

It depends on what you are using energy on

Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post

Glucosamine and fish oil for the knees, and forget the running, try swimming or cycling

aylesbyred is offline Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    It depends on what you are using energy on
    It's likely to be mental tiredness; I burn a lot through that

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    The big graphic tick on the package 'approved by the heart foundation'.... makes the product look healthy.... but it usually only applies to one aspect.

Check the list of ingredients on the back - often in 2pt Myopia - if the fat content is low, then often sugar and sodium are still way up over the line. If it's 'low in sugar' the others are likely to be high.

Very rare for everything to be perfectly safe in packaged/processed stuff.

Fresh ingredients, like you say. We grow a small amount of our own food, and buy the rest from a decent fresh veg shop.

Over the year, in a couple of houses, we've grown bananas, plums, apples, grapefruit, feijoa, mandarins, courgettes, strawberries, potatoes, rhubarb, carrots, silverbeet, kale, lettuce, tomatoes, limes, beetroot, pumpkin, mint, basil, thyme, parsley and rosemary. But not all at the same time, of course!!!!
    Spot on Dave, spot on.

Its sadly an abused area for those in marketing, massive business as we know health and well being so selling 'packaged healthy food' is a big business but as you say its very rare for this stuff to be safe or advantageous.

Wow I love this list of food you've grown...and in two houses!? Should we be calling you 'M'Lord?'

Dave, who owns extra houses for fruit growing.

Spot on Dave, spot on.

Its sadly an abused area for those in marketing, massive business as we know health and well being so selling 'packaged healthy food' is a big business but as you say its very rare for this stuff to be safe or advantageous.

Wow I love this list of food you've grown...and in two houses!? Should we be calling you 'M'Lord?'

Dave, who owns extra houses for fruit growing
    I say, I'm awfully sorry. That should've read 'Over the years, in the present house and the previous one, we've grown......' etc.

But you can still call me Lord Diddler, if you want.

I say, I'm awfully sorry. That should've read 'Over the years, in the present house and the previous one, we've grown......' etc.

But you can still call me Lord Diddler, if you want.
    Too late, I much prefer the idea of you buying up houses just to grow food

Too late, I much prefer the idea of you buying up houses just to grow food
    Oh, okay then.

Mushrooms in the basement! Hooray!

Oh, okay then.

Mushrooms in the basement! Hooray!
    Mushrooms in the basement and 'special plants' in the attic.....you'd be a very popular grocer

Mushrooms in the basement and 'special plants' in the attic.....you'd be a very popular grocer