Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Healthy Living: A thread for a healthy lifestyle

1. #1 Default Healthy Living: A thread for a healthy lifestyle 
    Acumen is online now First team regular
    I'm curious as to how many posters are conscious about their nutrition, exercise, and other factors in healthy living. You can share you ideas, routines, diet tips, etc.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

-SilkySkills- is offline First team regular

'Stim is online now First team regular
    -Monk- (Forum Body Inspector) will be along shortly to own this thread.

Yep I live healthy. And work out & keep fit. Used to run alot,now I cycle. I'm not as bad as I was,I used to eat religiously boringly healthy food and that was all. Nowadays i have the odd treat. I put too much weight off if anything,got a bit too all consumed with it. Have never touched any powders or potions,just healthy eating. Still love keeping fit and having a well balanced diet.

dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    Stim sure. I live healthy and that is why I stay up all night posting here. Sure mate.

Apart from going to sleep far too late, like many people on here .... I think I really do live healthily.

- I exercise once a week ... especially in the Spring-Summer-Autumn ... on my racing bike
    - I cook most days. Eat and cook organic ... nearly everything. Often
    - In the winter ... I try to do regular skiing. But that has become a fairly expensive past-time.
    - I have a pair of Snow shoes .... was thinking of doing walks in the snow without skiing down the slopes instead.

Important is to do these exercise things regularly.

- I dont buy any processed foods or ready for the oven stuff ... for ages now. So, no frozen pizzas.
    - Dont use any microwave oven. Dont have one.
    - Drink plenty of red fruit juice mixed with water for the anti-oxidants.

That's about it. So, not so amazingly healthy especially because of going to bed late most nights. But usually in a good mood and feeling great.

- I stay off the junk food. Hardly ever eat chocolate or biscuits .... Have eaten Dinkel Stollen this Christmas though.
    Last edited by dreams-come-true; 19-12-13 at 01:20.

Extremely conscious. Workout 5x a week, cardio 4x a week. Eat healthy, high in protien and high in healthy fats. It sucks though.

Don't get that much exercise at the moment as I'm in college for most of the week and never have time to do a lot else.

Was doing really well over the summer though. Eating less, eating more healthy and exercising on a regular basis helped me lose 2 stone. And I'm hoping I can get back in that routine very soon. Gonna be hard with Xmas coming up though :Xmas5:
    The man that never sleeps

Quote Originally Posted by -SilkySkills- View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stim View Post
    -Monk- (Forum Body Inspector) will be along shortly to own this thread.

Yeah, I guess you could say I live a healthy life style.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoW View Post
    Extremely conscious. Workout 5x a week, cardio 4x a week. Eat healthy, high in protien and high in healthy fats. It sucks though.
    What?!

I'm pretty much this, but cardio 6x a week (including football 3x a week).

I've been on a ridiculous bulk recently though, currently on 195lbs , think I'll keep that up until the new year.

Healthy body healthy mind. That's the theory anyway. And saves costs in medical treatment hopefully. Could be costly as a private patient or poor person who doesn't have health insurance. Keep the NHS would be my suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by dreams-come-true View Post
    Stim sure. I live healthy and that is why I stay up all night posting here. Sure mate.

I work from 1.30pm-9.30pm ,in a physically active job,after doing a 6 mile cycle ride & 90 min gym session in the morning (Health Tip :-which is the best time for us to do it ) each day. My better half helps me out too with her being a qualified Nutritionist and Trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Stim View Post
    I work from 1.30pm-9.30pm ,in a physically active job,after doing a 6 mile cycle ride & 90 min gym session in the morning (Health Tip :-which is the best time for us to do it ) each day. My better half helps me out too with her being a qualified Nutritionist and Trainer.
    You are all defo doing much more than I am with staying fit. I dont know what is really good. I tend to just think that if you overdo anything, it cant be good. Like straining the body too regularly. I do not know who would be right. Probably horses for courses. For me, what I do I feel fine with. I used to go spinning for an hour twice a week for years. Wasn't too much.

Quote Originally Posted by dreams-come-true View Post
    You are all defo doing much more than I am with staying fit. I dont know what is really good. I tend to just think that if you overdo anything, it cant be good. Like straining the body too regularly. I do not know who would be right. Probably horses for courses. For me, what I do I feel fine with. I used to go spinning for an hour twice a week for years. Wasn't too much.
    A big factor,with everybody leading busy lives & having to be hither & dither, is that it really does come down to time & how much one can set aside. It's not only to do with the actual physical activity/workout. Warming up & warming down are both very important bookends to healthy fitness.
    For me (especially as I'm not a teenager ),if I don't warm-up & warm down after doing weights or boxing training,my lower back the next day will be really really tight & stiff,feeling like somethings going to tear and would be like it for a day or so after,sometimes longer,definitely not good,and feels awful when working out again,painfull. So it is quite time consuming,all in all. Doing something and warming up & down before & after is definitely better than nothing though!
    Doing things carefully, our intake,physical output,conditioning of the body before,during & after....it does take committement of the physical effort and the time dedicated to it and lastly,and annoyingly I find,the expense of eating healthily. I've said it for ages,it's so easily to eat cheaply but badly,but more expensive to eat healthily. Fresh healthy food is more expensive than most highly processed food in a packet or pastry case! This is something that Britain really needs to look at & address,I feel.

mayshadwoman is offline Armchair supporter
    Browse the healthy lifestyle designer ideas and healthy diet recipe information which is helpful to start healthy lifestyle.

Death have to have a reason.
    So i dont care.
    But my wife do, so she force me to eat my vegetables .
    I get my exercise through my job, so i dont need to hang out at some gym falling in love in my mirror image.

I've never been to the gym and eat whatever is 'convenient' and close by.

The last time I ran was about 15 years ago when my mates and I were hiding from the Law.

Maybe it's time to start thinking about my health...

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    I've never been to the gym and eat whatever is 'convenient' and close by.

The last time I ran was about 15 years ago when my mates and I were hiding from the Law.

Maybe it's time to start thinking about my health...
    Running is not good for the joints

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Death have to have a reason.
    So i dont care.
    But my wife do, so she force me to eat my vegetables .
    I get my exercise through my job, so i dont need to hang out at some gym falling in love in my mirror image.
    Nothing wrong with this.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Stim View Post
    A big factor,with everybody leading busy lives & having to be hither & dither, is that it really does come down to time & how much one can set aside. It's not only to do with the actual physical activity/workout. Warming up & warming down are both very important bookends to healthy fitness.
    For me (especially as I'm not a teenager ),if I don't warm-up & warm down after doing weights or boxing training,my lower back the next day will be really really tight & stiff,feeling like somethings going to tear and would be like it for a day or so after,sometimes longer,definitely not good,and feels awful when working out again,painfull. So it is quite time consuming,all in all. Doing something and warming up & down before & after is definitely better than nothing though!
    Doing things carefully, our intake,physical output,conditioning of the body before,during & after....it does take committement of the physical effort and the time dedicated to it and lastly,and annoyingly I find,the expense of eating healthily. I've said it for ages,it's so easily to eat cheaply but badly,but more expensive to eat healthily. Fresh healthy food is more expensive than most highly processed food in a packet or pastry case! This is something that Britain really needs to look at & address,I feel.
    We have many shops with cheaper fresh vegetables and fruit in sweden.
    I dont shop for that in supermarkets at all.
    Meat is expensive if fresh.

Taken it increasingly serious with age.

I eat really well, lower carbs & higher healthy fat intake, lots of fruit each day & training wise I box so have a heavy bag at home which I use every other day along with a pull up bar & kettle bells.

Love the boxing element which really helps if you find training you like, used to box in my 20's so nice to pick it up again.

Last few months I've really upped the eating with no bad food or 'treats' so my body fat was at 23% & is now down to 16% which has amazed me really, how quick it was, there has been no weight loss as I've built muscle too.

Have to say feel great for it & its the eating habits more than anything that has helped & has beeen a lifestyle change well worth it
    Last edited by welshypool; 19-11-16 at 13:24.

OK - time for a healthy lifestyle!

Confession: "I'm carrying a little holiday weight" - 10 lbs - how that happened i don't know! Wasn't even a great christmas. Super January coming up.

We eat healthy for the most part. Some walking exercise, but restricted by ageing limbs and joints.
    A complete day free from pain would be most welcome.

kas74 is online now First team regular
    I have a box of chocolates and a giant Toblerone to get through before I start to worry about healthy eating.
    Also some shortbread.

Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    I have a box of chocolates and a giant Toblerone to get through before I start to worry about healthy eating.
    Also some shortbread.
    That's called prioritising.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Running is not good for the joints
    O wish I'd have known that 15 years ago. Pounding the road getting fit hasn't done justice to the knees. When you're in early 20's it's a breeze and you don't feel the impact immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    O wish I'd have known that 15 years ago. Pounding the road getting fit hasn't done justice to the knees. When you're in early 20's it's a breeze and you don't feel the impact immediately.
    Hard surface running is the real culprit.

I see so many runners/joggers pounding pavements, when they should try for a few circuits around a local park, on grass.

Walking is the ideal.... or even the walk50/jog50 variation. Not just for all the obvious reasons, but it exercises the whole lymphatic system, and engages muscle action all the way to the shoulder blades.

I was a runner many decades ago, and my favourite route was through the bush trails nearby.... steep, winding, rough, but rewarding as hell when the other side was reached.

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Hard surface running is the real culprit.

I see so many runners/joggers pounding pavements, when they should try for a few circuits around a local park, on grass.

Walking is the ideal.... or even the walk50/jog50 variation. Not just for all the obvious reasons, but it exercises the whole lymphatic system, and engages muscle action all the way to the shoulder blades.

I was a runner many decades ago, and my favourite route was through the bush trails nearby.... steep, winding, rough, but rewarding as hell when the other side was reached.
    Even fast walking now sends that burning pain through the knee, right down the inside. Local parks are always good. You look like an idiot doing this but i always find a short explosive sprint for about 10 seconds and then walk then sprint works better for me rather than jogging.

After Christmas though carrying a few extra lbs it's funny how the sprints don't start when you start moving, there's like a delay before you get going.

Oh I also found out that Diet Coke (I knew it was bad for you) actually is a major cause of weight gain. Sneaky those companies.

Ugh, feeling it today, trained again for the first time since Xmas yesterday.

Enjoyed it but surprised how much I ache today, a reminder how quickly you can lose it!

Kept the eating on track though

For those interested in the eating part, 'Lean in 15' is a good book to check out.

Not normally one for following this kind of thing but there are some excellent meals in there and nice and tasty/healthy.

Nothing faddy either, and again puts a focus on lower carbs intake and higher healthy fats intake

I really do think general guidance on food has been wrong here in the UK, since the 70's where fat was discouraged and higher carb intake encouraged.....and since we have developed an obesity problem.

Meat, butter, cheese......all good as long as you are active and good fats are great for the heart too

Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    Also some shortbread.
    They missed a trick - halloween should be just after Christmas - the kids would clean up with people getting rid of unhealthy sweets, chocolates...crisps, cake...cheese, booze, ciggies

I just want someone to knock on the door and take away my temptations...