Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Healthy Living: A thread for a healthy lifestyle

In recent years I have become more health conscious. I now try to go to the gym at least twice a week, bit of cardio and weights. I'm not super focused on diet but do try to keep it balanced...although I find it hard to resist the odd takeaway
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Played basketball today, 3 on 3, but I'm so *********** out of shape it was miserable.

I lost about 15 pounds on this diet last winter https://healthyeater.com/flexible-dieting-iifym so I'm going to try and start it again. It's easy and "flexible" as it says. Need to do some exercising and to cut back on the drinking.

I've been sleeping pretty poorly lately too and I don't have time to be tired these days.

I started getting a pain in my kneecap and hip joints a few months ago, seen a physiotherapist and he diagnosed it as a patella problem. After massaging and stetching my kneecap in all directions and doing knee muscle stretches the pain went away. I bought a spin bike and have been using it every morning for cardio and its like i've got 2 new hips knees and legs.

I also need to loose some weight which will be good long term for my joints and overall fitness. Are there any other exercise/cardio machines people could recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by IDREAMOFGINI View Post
    I started getting a pain in my kneecap and hip joints a few months ago, seen a physiotherapist and he diagnosed it as a patella problem. After massaging and stetching my kneecap in all directions and doing knee muscle stretches the pain went away. I bought a spin bike and have been using it every morning for cardio and its like i've got 2 new hips knees and legs.

I also need to loose some weight which will be good long term for my joints and overall fitness. Are there any other exercise/cardio machines people could recommend?
    Lift heavy weights. Probably depends how your knee would fare during squats, but they (weights and cycling) complement each other well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Rock View Post
    Lift heavy weights. Probably depends how your knee would fare during squats, but they (weights and cycling) complement each other well.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Glucosamine and fish oil for the knees, and forget the running, try swimming or cycling
    That's something i must look into. Oiley fish, walnuts, red peppers, garlic and extra virgin olive oil, etc are all good for the joints.

When my knee and hip pain started i began to worry it was arthritis but my physiotherapist told me to stretch the kneecap + hip muscles and thrust my kneecap in all directions once a day when leg was relaxed. He maintained more movement of the joints provides more fluid for the joints.

Quote Originally Posted by IDREAMOFGINI View Post

I'm not entirely sure what the machine is called, but there is a cardio machine that doesn't require hip/knee movement, that is primarily based on sitting down, and using your upper body to almost row with your arms and shoulders. I personally have never used it, but those that do, seem to get through a pretty good workout using it. The chair is also detachable too, which makes it easily accessible for wheelchair users to use as well.

As others have mentioned, using the swimming pool for resistance is good, even if it's walking. Also, weights. In my opinion weight training is the best for not only building muscle, but also for losing weight. My own exercise plan is weight based, with as little, or even no rest in between reps and sets, therefore it acts like a cardiovascular exercise too.