Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neknomination

God there are some cute kids in that video.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by grenny158 View Post
    And another version which restores faith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfF5Z...bc&app=desktop

Looking forward to seeing Nando's response - I have little doubt they will take up the challenge, in a big way, as it is their style. I think we will be seeing a lot more of this kind of thing .. wouldn't be surprised if it overtakes the mindless drinking version in popularity .. one can live in hope.
    These are the sort of people we need to look up to as a society.

Lets hope this takes off and eclipses the Nekomination alcohol trend. I doubt it will, but we can hope.

To bea fair the hysteria over Neknomination is pretty sad.

It's a drinking game... they've been around for years. Guess what - it's not Neknomination that killed anyone, it is excessive drinking.

I highly doubt I would get one of these nominations because all my friends are in their 30s now but, if I did, I'd just either decide that it was funny (don't know what that would be... apparently this guy found it funny initially http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/think...king-game.html) or decide it was lame and dangerous (pint of vodka or whatever).

But blaming Neknomination is like blaming the internet for bullying or makers of baseball bats for violence. It's jsut a platform for people to have fun and up to players to not be morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Papa View Post

It's a drinking game... they've been around for years. Guess what - it's not Neknomination that killed anyone, it is excessive drinking.

I highly doubt I would get one of these nominations because all my friends are in their 30s now but, if I did, I'd just either decide that it was funny (don't know what that would be... apparently this guy found it funny initially http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/think...king-game.html) or decide it was lame and dangerous (pint of vodka or whatever).

But blaming Neknomination is like blaming the internet for bullying or makers of baseball bats for violence. It's jsut a platform for people to have fun and up to players to not be morons.
    I suppose it is down to what you consider to be fun. Daring people to drink in this way is not fun to me .. call me a fool if you will, but I think those kinds of games inevitably lead to people wanting to be heroes, and 'bigger' than the previous person who nominated, therefore compounding the 'dare'. If there have already been deaths attributed to neknomination, how can you just simply class it as fun? You may think that one death out of the 1000's of people who take these challenges is nothing .. as far as I am concerned, one death is already too many.

You say the 'hysteria' over Neknomination is pretty sad. I say the whole concept of Neknomination is pretty sad itself. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by rhoscoch View Post
    These are the sort of people we need to look up to as a society.

Lets hope this takes off and eclipses the Nekomination alcohol trend. I doubt it will, but we can hope.
    Absolutely agree, rhoscoch.

One wonders which gives a person a better feeling .. making an ass of yourself trying to be 'cool' and keeping up with the Joneses - or actually going out and doing something positive for someone? I know which one feeds my soul, that's for sure ..

I suppose it is down to what you consider to be fun. Daring people to drink in this way is not fun to me .. call me a fool if you will, but I think those kinds of games inevitably lead to people wanting to be heroes, and 'bigger' than the previous person who nominated, therefore compounding the 'dare'. If there have already been deaths attributed to neknomination, how can you just simply class it as fun? You may think that one death out of the 1000's of people who take these challenges is nothing .. as far as I am concerned, one death is already too many.

You say the 'hysteria' over Neknomination is pretty sad. I say the whole concept of Neknomination is pretty sad itself. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
    Well yeah, people are going to challenge each other and try to outdo each other. People try the same thing on ski-slopes, in eating contests, tombstoning on the coasts, whatever it is. And people have always had drinking contests of various sorts. Yes, it's not something to be applauded, but suggesting Neknomination itself is some kind of demon is a bit off-target. Overall drinking culture and adults making bad decisions seems to be the issue.

kickthetyres is online now Academy prospect
    Overall drinking culture and adults making bad decisions seems to be the issue.
    Agreed AP. As a young adult I know I made some pretty stupid decisions which combined alcohol with inadvisable activities; one of them involved writing off an expensive motorbike that wasn't my own. On another occasion after a late nigh binging session I ended up getting thrown over a river bridge in Leicester by a 'mate', falling towards the inky black water before crashing onto a workman's walkway some 20 feet down on my back. The guy who hoisted up my legs (for a laugh) so I fell over the parapet didn't know we were even on a bridge (he later said he thought it was just a garden wall), let alone a river bridge, let alone the fact that there was a walkway in place to save me from a midnight death in a city centre river
    I still shudder to think how close I came to meeting the big man on that particular nigh out.

I certainly know what I consider 'sadder'

Quote Originally Posted by kickthetyres View Post
    Agreed AP. As a young adult I know I made some pretty stupid decisions which combined alcohol with inadvisable activities; one of them involved writing off an expensive motorbike that wasn't my own. On another occasion after a late nigh binging session I ended up getting thrown over a river bridge in Leicester by a 'mate', falling towards the inky black water before crashing onto a workman's walkway some 20 feet down on my back. The guy who hoisted up my legs (for a laugh) so I fell over the parapet didn't know we were even on a bridge, let alone a river bridge, let alone the fact that there was a walkway in place to save me from a midnight death in a city centre river
    I still shudder to think how close I came to meeting the big man on that particular nigh out.
    Yes, overall it is the drinking culture, however this is reflected in the apparent acceptance of neknomination. If, for example the game was, lets see how much cocaine, crack or heroin one could take no doubt there would be a massive outcry.

Quote Originally Posted by rhoscoch View Post
    Yes, overall it is the drinking culture, however this is reflected in the apparent acceptance of neknomination. If, for example the game was, lets see how much cocaine, crack or heroin one could take no doubt there would be a massive outcry.
    Yeah. But it's not *********** crack, is it? It's alcohol, which has been part of our culture in the west for thousands of year (and generally provides people with a good way to let their haid down).

Yeah. But it's not *********** crack, is it? It's alcohol, which has been part of our culture in the west for thousands of year (and generally provides people with a good way to let their haid down).
    So you differentiate between different drugs based upon what criteria? Legality?

Can I suggest you visit any A&E department in any major town or city in the UK on a Saturday night/Sunday morning or just go out for a drink in Birkenhead on any given Friday before making statements about alcohol being 'good' in any way.
    'Our' culture, in the west, is hardly a model to be holding up as something to aspire to now is it?

I deliberately used class A substances as an example. You could just as easily argue that an invitation to smoke as much weed as you could would also be roundly condemned.

I enjoy drinking and I wouldn't have minded downing a beer but the way it has going is just stupid. The game however isn't really the fault, it is the people playing it, they only use it as a vehicle for their one upsmanship, personally wouldn't partake in it these days.

It's funny because alcohol ruins far more lives.

That doesn't make it right. Rhoscoch is 100% correct .. if it was marijuana or any other 'illegal' drug, the outcry would be staggering .. just because it is alcohol that somehow condones it. Why? Because it is legal?

LovelyCushionedHeader is online now Directors Box

Exactly.

Blame the player not the game. That guy who died probably took the weirdest concoction of things. His fault he didn't go about it in a slightly less dumbass way. I'd give him the honour of the 2014 Darwin Award.

Quote Originally Posted by -CADS- View Post
    Blame the player not the game. That guy who died probably took the weirdest concoction of things. His fault he didn't go about it in a slightly less dumbass way. I'd give him the honour of the 2014 Darwin Award.
    No it's the game's fault! Advertising makes kids fat and peer pressure causes tobacco addiction!

Anyone that makes one of these videos is a stupid ******** who needs to grow up.

I do love however how that article States that NekNomination encourages people to do dangerous things as if NekNomination is a person.

I was sure this thread would have to do with something entirely different, derived from the Greek nek, possibly regarding playing a game to be nominated foremost expert on Lovecraft trivia (though I was going to take you to task for not writing Necronomination)

on the other hand, Neknomination is well-named for a drinking game that can easily end in death.

and now excuse me while i go ablute myself with a marble bidet while reading horace

u

Yep .. nice, clean and harmless fun, is Neknomination:

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world...es-son-3120438

Thanks for posting grenny.

As someone who works with youth, and also those who are in danger of disengagement due to a plethora of issues, keeping up to date with the 'trends' of today's youth is extremely important.

Thanks again .

It's nice, clean harmless fun if you're not a *********** moron like this boy probably is.

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyCushionedHeader View Post
    It's nice, clean harmless fun if you're not a *********** moron like this boy probably is.
    If you say so

If you say so
    At the risk of sounding like the straw man: Do you think all drinking games should be outlawed?

Btw, I would never make one of these videos I just think your attitude about it is ridiculous. Do you think advertising makes kids fat?

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyCushionedHeader View Post
    At the risk of sounding like the straw man: Do you think all drinking games should be outlawed?

Btw, I would never make one of these videos I just think your attitude about it is ridiculous. Do you think advertising makes kids fat?
    It's not a game though, is it? It's literally just filming yourself drinking a vile combination of alcohol.

Desperately insecure people needing validation from equally insecure people.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyShepherdHenderson View Post
    It's not a game though, is it? It's literally just filming yourself drinking a vile combination of alcohol.

Desperately insecure people needing validation from equally insecure people.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

"Look at meeeeeee! Look at meeeee! Look at meeeee!"

That's what it is about .. sad.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

"Look at meeeeeee! Look at meeeee! Look at meeeee!"

That's what it is about .. sad.
    Indeed.