Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: West Ham vs Liverpool 06/04/14 - KO 16:00 - Pre Match thread

AlessoAfrojackAvicii is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by LennonAndMccartney View Post
    True but id rather go into the city game only needing a draw. Same as with the chelsea game cause you just know that maureen is gonna do that parking the bus tactic, his special tactic, putting eleven men behind the ball.
    We beat City in 2 weeks mate, that title is ours. No doubt in my mind. Ours.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    The result against Chelsea is not as important,
    we can afford to draw against them as we are two points clear of them or can't you see that. We need to beat City assuming they are going to win their games in hand and Gerrard will be vital for that match as we all know.
    People seem to be repeated that, that a draw against chelsea is enough. Yes assuming we all other games it will be enough to stay ahead of chelsea... But you are forgetting city are also in race.. If we beat city but draw with chelsea then city can win other games and win league...

No way will gerrard be rested... We played well in big games without him before and if its comes down to it and he gets a yellow we should trust the lads will be good enough..

LordJamieOfCarragher is online now Senior Moderator
    Anthony Taylor has been appointed referee for West Ham United v Liverpool on Sunday 6 April

The last two times he's reffed us we've scored 5.

changeaname is online now Academy prospect
    i think horses for courses is the best option - agger and skrtel were kept on against everton after being in the previous winning team and lukaku predictably had his usual field day against liverpool. difficult decision for the manager to make and sakho's aerial stats were very good last time i checked.

all we are asking is give us 3 points

stay safe reds

fowlers2atgrayskull is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by LordJamieOfCarragher View Post
    Anthony Taylor has been appointed referee for West Ham United v Liverpool on Sunday 6 April

The last two times he's reffed us we've scored 5.
    Last time he reffed us against West Ham it was 0-0

I know keeping the same team is tempting ,but I also think if there is a chance to give some players game time this game is best ...
    Lucas for Steve and Sakho for Agger is as save bet as can be.
    We will need Steve for City(at least) and Sakho is definately better option against Carroll than Agger.
    I am confident we can beat them in any shape or form,so

absolutely gutted i will be missing this one live, darn stupid business trip!

are there any sports bars in wales?

Thebeastyboy is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Binomial View Post

I'm sure you'll find somewhere to watch it mate

which part of wales

come to my local and i will buy you a beer or 3

I think this game is going to be harder than the city game,

big Sam will have a back 4 with 2 just in front, Right in that space we love to play in.... that 6 at the back. 2 wingers punching crosses in to AC who will properly try and ruffle skirtel.
    Big sam & Andy will have seen that Skirtel likes to pull against the bigger opponents so he will be targeted as a week spot.

we need to score first, NEED. that will force west ham to open up and it then becomes not if but how many game

Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    you say Brendan loves the effects Steven has on the pitch, so why would he risk not having him for our most important game of the season in terms of trying to win the league, it's a risk not worth taking, common sense is a big factor here.
    whatever happens I just hope he's available for the City game.
    We could go round in circles all day on whether or not it's worth the risk.

My point was more I believe Brendan WILL start him.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    You fear West Ham more than Chelsea and City?
    Only because we are playing at their ground. Also I hated when we played Bolton when Big Sam was their manager and they were in the PL.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTrilogy View Post
    Rest Stevie G, no point in risking a card.
    I think it will be a good idea to rest him. We need him for the Citee game. Need him to pull all the right strings like he has been doing.
    Allen and Lucas can start to provide some stability. We can hit them hard in the 2nd half with Sterling once Coutinho has sapped all their energy dancing around them in the first half

This will be a tougher game than Spurs...but we can do it

Two words popped up again last night "Andy Carroll"

Last time Liverpool played against Carroll, he put 2 or 3 past the Reds for Newcastle. Sure, different teams, managers, circumstances, but still.

Good result for us last night I think. West Ham are as good as safe now. Sam is less likely to try to pack the midfield and stifle the game like he did with the 0-0 against Chelsea earlier this season that Mourinho criticized him for.

I think we should play the same team that played last match. I know Gerrard should rest and avoid the yellow card, and that some here on the forum want other players to rest too for the big games; but we always score in the first half, hopefully we can start strong, get ahead by at least a couple, and then the substitutions might come in. I'd rather play it safe honestly. We haven't played that many games for our players to be "fatigued", and the sole idea of getting the title should be motivation enough for them to play as hard as they can.

BeautifulHistory is offline Academy prospect
    you can do it lads

Wtf Andy Carroll scores a goal and now he is being tipped for an England call up.

Am worried about facing him this weekend as football loves nothing more than a good story and Carroll scoring the winner certainly fits the bill. But he hardly deserves a call up. Going to be a handful to deal with and we always seem to struggle against powerful tall strikers.

Its good that West Ham beat Sunderland yesterday which means they will be little relaxed for match against us. Of course we shouldn't take them lightly and lose our edge. We need to attack them right from start as usual.

Considering Caroll and physical approach of West Ham, I am inclined to bring in Sakho in place of Agger. That would be injustice to Agger but I think we should keep our emotions aside and select horses for courses.

Not expecting an easy game but expecting 3 points in the end. Don't care about scoreline.

YNWA

do people not understand

if we loose to either city or chelsea, the league is over! those are both looseable games

people need to JAM THE HYPE

enjoy game by game

beating chelsea is probably the hardest thing to do in the premiership

Quote Originally Posted by AlessoAfrojackAvicii View Post
    We beat City in 2 weeks mate, that title is ours. No doubt in my mind. Ours.
    Title is not ours after City game. We still have Chelsea and other banana skin fixtures like Norwich and Crystal Palace who are fighting for survival. Title is not ours unless it is mathematically impossible for others to catch us.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    do people not understand

if we loose to either city or chelsea, the league is over! those are both looseable games

enjoy game by game

Almost inclined to say cracking Crystal Palace's defence will be tougher than Chelsea. What makes Chelsea so good is their midfield.

Having watched the Sunderland-West Ham game yesterday, I don't see how we can't take a result from them.

West Ham are a physical team, but I'm not too worried about that when going into offensive. WH's defense isn't bulletproof and they're still missing some key players, so I'm confident we'll be scoring goals. Brendan's game philosophy isn't that vulnerable against physical team as it's based on different qualities - if West Ham was a rock, we'd be water.
    The defensive angle has just one question: Do we play Sakho instead of Agger (in order to bring some steel against Carroll)? I see many favor the option of bringing the robust Frenchman back in the side, but then again, our current back four is looking quite solid as well. Should we disrupt the winning formation? I'm slightly inclined to say "yes". It's not that we need rotation - we're playing only 1 game a week -, but I'd be more calm knowing we have 2 hard men at the back and Sakho is decently fast. The rest of the back four should be the same. It's actually great having Flanno (being right footed) at the LB against (left footed) Downing on the RW, but Migno will still have to be prepared for running out and collect crosses.

They seem to play a 4-2-3-1 formation that is mostly based on crossing the ball to big Andy, so I'm not sure if this is the right game to play a diamond formation against them. It'd be 4 (Liv) against 5 (WH) midfielders, which isn't exactly prevailing (especially considering their strength). I think we should continue to press (not allowing them time for cross) and expose them on counterattacks. For that, I'd play Allen instead of Coutinho.
    I'd play a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation(obviously with Suarez being slightly further), which can be changed into diamond (putting Sterling in the hole) if needed:

Mignolet, Johnson, Skrtel, Sakho(?), Flanagan, Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Sterling, Suarez, Sturridge

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    do people not understand

enjoy game by game

We could lose for sure. But both Chelsea and City have worse away records than Arsenal, United, and Spurs - and we beat those 3 convincingly

By the way...

Lose = Fail to win
    Loose = Not tight

ken5088us is offline Armchair supporter
    this is gonna be a tougher game than spurs...with alladyce playing his physical and anti-football game...come on reds!!!no complacency!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ken5088us View Post
    this is gonna be a tougher game than spurs...with alladyce playing his physical and anti-football game...come on reds!!!no complacency!!!
    19th century no doubt
    If the Reds get a goal early, then it's curtains for the Hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemer View Post
    Having watched the Sunderland-West Ham game yesterday, I don't see how we can't take a result from them.

West Ham are a physical team, but I'm not too worried about that when going into offensive. WH's defense isn't bulletproof and they're still missing some key players, so I'm confident we'll be scoring goals. Brendan's game philosophy isn't that vulnerable against physical team as it's based on different qualities - if West Ham was a rock, we'd be water.
    The defensive angle has just one question: Do we play Sakho instead of Agger (in order to bring some steel against Carroll)? I see many favor the option of bringing the robust Frenchman back in the side, but then again, our current back four is looking quite solid as well. Should we disrupt the winning formation? I'm slightly inclined to say "yes". It's not that we need rotation - we're playing only 1 game a week -, but I'd be more calm knowing we have 2 hard men at the back and Sakho is decently fast. The rest of the back four should be the same. It's actually great having Flanno (being right footed) at the LB against (left footed) Downing on the RW, but Migno will still have to be prepared for running out and collect crosses.

They seem to play a 4-2-3-1 formation that is mostly based on crossing the ball to big Andy, so I'm not sure if this is the right game to play a diamond formation against them. It'd be 4 (Liv) against 5 (WH) midfielders, which isn't exactly prevailing (especially considering their strength). I think we should continue to press (not allowing them time for cross) and expose them on counterattacks. For that, I'd play Allen instead of Coutinho.
    I'd play a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation(obviously with Suarez being slightly further), which can be changed into diamond (putting Sterling in the hole) if needed:

Mignolet, Johnson, Skrtel, Sakho(?), Flanagan, Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Sterling, Suarez, Sturridge
    agree that diamond could be risky but don't think Brendan will play diamond formation and I wouldn't change our defence with 3 clean sheets out of 4 games I would stand off big andy and try pick up the loose ball from his headers (except for corners ) as the hammers just hoof the ball up to him at every opportunity so if we stand off him and win the second ball we will get plenty of opportunities on the counter I think so for me think it will be a harder game than spuds as big sam will park the bus and hope to get something from set pieces but I'm confident we can get the 3 points go on reds just do it

Gun-jumpers... calm down. Nothing is over until its over. There are 18 points to play for. Still a loooooong way to go yet. We arent playing City yet, or Chelsea yet. Its West Ham.

Dont think Hammers will be doing us any favours. In Carrol and Downing, they've got 2 players who probably feel they we're pushed out, and have something to prove. Sunderland really struggled against Carroll, and it does make you wonder if BR is tempted to get Sakho into this game to combat the more physical threat and 'lump it up to Carroll' tactics the Hammers will offer. Diame is a bit of a monster as well.

On the plus side, they're firmly mid-table, and only 3 points off the 40-point mark, which most managers feel is 'safe'. So perhaps motivation might not be at its highest amongst their squad; they not in the relegation mix up. And Big Sam's tactics are always pretty steadfast; we should know what to expect. Saying that, Hammers did do a number on Chelsea earlier in the season, when they effectively nullified Oscar and Hazard. We'll need to be up for it again.

Interesting point re: Gerrard. Im sure during the commentary on Sunday, someone mentioned that there will be a final card amnesty at some point in the run-in. So Stevie G's yellow count will be effectively wiped out. Anyone know when this kicks in? Have to say, even with that hanging over him, he's played it fantastically, and hasn't done anything to risk it in the last couple of games. Touch wood he keeps it going.