Notices
Reply to Thread

Thread: Another terrific gesture from Russell Brand

1. #1 Default Another terrific gesture from Russell Brand 
    Thanks to Russell Brand for his latest donation, and well done for calling the rag out and not letting them continue to get away with made up hurtful stories.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27325587

Comedian Russell Brand has accepted substantial libel damages over a Sun on Sunday story which claimed he cheated on his girlfriend Jemima Khan.

The 38-year-old sued the newspaper in January after it carried the story across three pages on 17 November 2013.

Brand won the damages last month, but has now accepted it formally at London's High Court.

The comic said he would be donating the unspecified damages to the Hillsborough Justice Campaign.

Brand's solicitor John Kelly told Mr Justice Tugendhat the newspaper's claims were entirely without foundation and "distressing, hurtful and damaging".

He said the star immediately wrote to the newspaper after the publication of its front page "exclusive" - headlined "Russell Cheated On His Jemima With Me" - informing them the claims were false.

"The claimant's distress was increased as a result of the defendant's initial refusal to remove the article from the newspaper's website, or to withdraw the allegations and publish an apology", Mr Kelly said.

"After the newspaper refused to apologise Mr Brand issued proceedings for libel.

"The defendant now accepts these claims are in fact totally untrue and defamatory and that these claims should never have been published."

Mr Kelly added News Group Newspapers, which also publishes Sun on Sunday, had apologised to Brand and Khan for the distress and embarrassment caused.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Great man. Love him

Disgusting **** rag

Won't this vile excuse of a newspaper ever learn?

It needs to go the way of the News Of The World ... into oblivion.

The $** 0 - Hillsborough Justice Campaign 1

Not the greatest fan of Brand, but this stupendous gesture could change my mind!!

Thank you Russell.
    Live every day as if it was your last........because one day, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by GAGGZY View Post
    Won't this vile excuse of a newspaper ever learn?

It needs to go the way of the News Of The World ... into oblivion.
    Sadly too many ....... read this rag, and even more annoying the number of fans I see walking up to
    Anfield on match day who read it then quickly dump it in the bin.
    Last edited by Jannno; 9-5-14 at 04:42.

Socratease is offline LFC Forums Moderator
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27325587

A comic with a quick mind dealing with a comic of a newspaper.

*;

Noted by international press that Russell's donation to the Hillsborough Justice Campaign is something of note.

Top notch!

*India Times link removed due to risk of malware.

Last edited by Socratease; 2-7-14 at 00:36.
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Denza Red View Post
    Not the greatest fan of Brand, but this stupendous gesture could change my mind!!
    Not sure what you have against Brand - one of the few voices speaking out against the 1% elite that run this country solely for their benefit. Worst of all, crushing the most vulnerable without a moments thought if it means a few extra quid in their pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticoptimist View Post
    Not sure what you have against Brand - one of the few voices speaking out against the 1% elite that run this country solely for their benefit. Worst of all, crushing the most vulnerable without a moments thought if it means a few extra quid in their pockets.
    i used to dislike him just cause i found him annoying , but once he started speaking out against the elite he's grew on me and talks a lot of sense

Nice one Mr Brand.

Never liked the man, think he's just getting one over on the Sun and using Hillborough to become more liked. Russel Brand is as fly as they come. Pay your taxes Brand you hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by KopRoyal View Post
    Never liked the man, think he's just getting one over on the Sun and using Hillborough to become more liked. Russel Brand is as fly as they come. Pay your taxes Brand you hypocrite.
    i used to think that but he does and says far too much now and speaks out against a lot of top figures to be just pretending

Quote Originally Posted by DmCLfc1892 View Post
    i used to think that but he does and says far too much now and speaks out against a lot of top figures to be just pretending
    Shame he couldn't have gave the money to the foundation anonymously, without having to make a headline out of it.

So, because you personally don't like him (do you actually know him by the way?) this lessens his gesture or makes it immediately circumspect?

Shame he couldn't have gave the money to the foundation anonymously, without having to make a headline out of it.
    Why, do you think that makes a difference to the fund? In fact, I would suggest that the added headlines is a benefit. Anything that mentions the campaign, in a positive light, is a benefit.