Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nathaniel Clyne

Still think the manager, long term, sees Gomez as the man at right back.
    loyal since 1960.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mountbeautygeorge View Post
    Still think the manager, long term, sees Gomez as the man at right back.
    Based on what?

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Based on what?
    He played at CB for the U23s yesterday...Ilori was moved to fullback.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

Clyne is generally a very solid (if unspectacular) full back. He's the least of our problems in defence.

OK he didn't have a great game but the entire defence is a mess right now, the only ones with any real credit are Matip and Clyne. The other three just aren't doing the job at the moment.

We need a CB and a LB, and then get a goddamn GK coach for Karius.

Coach791 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post
    Clyne is generally a very solid (if unspectacular) full back. He's the least of our problems in defence.

OK he didn't have a great game but the entire defence is a mess right now, the only ones with any real credit are Matip and Clyne. The other three just aren't doing the job at the moment.

We need a CB and a LB, and then get a goddamn GK coach for Karius.
    Left back is a much tougher position than right back in our set up. Milner has done an excellent job. We can improve on both though. I don't seen Clyne as our right back in a couple of seasons time unless he improves.

There's definitely bigger issues anyhow and he may well improve. He's been nowhere near as influential at right back compared to Milner left back. I understand Milner has made a few more errors but he's exposed a lot more. However Clyne rarely stamps his presence on a game.

Doesn't help out midfield with controlling intelligent passing, improved this season in attack but for position he gets in doesn't do enough and struggles when crosses come in from opposite side. Decent defender and steady enough but not as good as fans make out.

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    I honestly don't get the "Clyne not a good RB'. I can think of 3 better RB's in our league, and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    I honestly don't get the "Clyne not a good RB'. I can think of 3 better RB's in our league, and that's it.
    Maybe thats their point - you can think of 3 better, maybe they can see more

I'd say only Bellerin is a better right back (Azpilicueta possibly), he's on par with Walker, Zabaleta and Sagna aren't as good as they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by L4Sensation View Post
    I'd say only Bellerin is a better right back (Azpilicueta possibly), he's on par with Walker, Zabaleta and Sagna aren't as good as they used to be.
    I had Bellerin, Walker, Azpilcueta, and then Clyne. But I'd agree, Walker and Azpoicueta are almost apush because they offer different things, so on the whole they could be said to be on par.

Anyone blaming or wanting to improve our RB position is out of their mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Maybe thats their point - you can think of 3 better, maybe they can see more
    Then they should provide those players and their attributes and what they offer their team. That would be a reasoned argument I could get behind.

fredthecamel is offline First team regular
    i like southamptons current right back

That's my point. I don't think Bellerin is great. I don't think Walker is that good. Coleman is a decent full back, Zabaleta and Sagna are past their best. I think some people are thinking comparatively he's not a problem he's as decent as the other right backs around and that's true.

I think we have a real lack of quality rights backs at the minute. When a 30 year old Milner comes in and looks excellent at full back it's not a vintage time for full backs in the Premier League.

Clyne is steady. He's a decent full backs, he's got pace, can beat a man but doesn't deliver enough in end product. His passing is average, game intelligent alright, can press but he's a decent full back at a time when quality full backs are not too common.

Coleman, Valencia, Walker, Bellerin, Zabaleta, Azpilicueta, Clyne, you could even add Moses to that this season and there's no real stand out full back.

good lad clyne.... willing trier , run his heart out for you.,... bit thick in possesion though

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    That's my point. I don't think Bellerin is great. I don't think Walker is that good. Coleman is a decent full back, Zabaleta and Sagna are past their best. I think some people are thinking comparatively he's not a problem he's as decent as the other right backs around and that's true.

I think we have a real lack of quality rights backs at the minute. When a 30 year old Milner comes in and looks excellent at full back it's not a vintage time for full backs in the Premier League.

Clyne is steady. He's a decent full backs, he's got pace, can beat a man but doesn't deliver enough in end product. His passing is average, game intelligent alright, can press but he's a decent full back at a time when quality full backs are not too common.

Coleman, Valencia, Walker, Bellerin, Zabaleta, Azpilicueta, Clyne, you could even add Moses to that this season and there's no real stand out full back.
    cedric soares.. looked great last season

none of them can play football like philip lahm........

there are no outstanding footballers playing at right back . i cant think of one genuinely classy right back who can in the attacking third lift his head and pick out the right ball......there are a lot of good solid right backs ...

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    cedric soares.. looked great last season
    I haven't seen enough of him but when I have he's looked good. Great at breaking when they counter. Have to see more to see how good he is.

I haven't seen enough of him but when I have he's looked good. Great at breaking when they counter. Have to see more to see how good he is.
    yeah about my estimation.... liked what i saw,, seemed able to play football aswell as run.....

You don't even mention Clyne's best qualities.... his defensive ability. He is fantastic as a defensive RB. Maybe the best defensive RB in the league.

You don't even mention Clyne's best qualities.... his defensive ability. He is fantastic as a defensive RB. Maybe the best defensive RB in the league.
    best? not sure,. he is a solid defensive right back... he lacks a little finesse going forward

none of them can play football like philip lahm........

there are no outstanding footballers playing at right back . i cant think of one genuinely classy right back who can in the attacking third lift his head and pick out the right ball......there are a lot of good solid right backs ...
    You've got a point. Fabinho but he's been played central midfield as well. These players an in terms of technical ability and intelligence so far in advance of Clyne. That's why I said he's a decent right back.

Who is better Valencia, Walker, Clyne, Coleman, Bellerin, Azplicueta? We've seen Milner and Moses move to full back with ease this season. Full backs are just not great at the minute.

best? not sure,. he is a solid defensive right back... he lacks a little finesse going forward
    Put it this way. I'm never worried about Clyne at RB. Don't even care who we're playing, and who is lining up opposite him. Have full faith in Clyne, and that is all I need from a RB.

You've got a point. Fabinho but he's been played central midfield as well. These players an in terms of technical ability and intelligence so far in advance of Clyne. That's why I said he's a decent right back.

Who is better Valencia, Walker, Clyne, Coleman, Bellerin, Azplicueta? We've seen Milner and Moses move to full back with ease this season. Full backs are just not great at the minute.
    he is no worse in terms of technical abilty and intelligence and attacking nouse than carvajal at madrid for example............

so i dont think clyne is in need of an upgrade in a hurry...... , solid 7/10 fullback.....

he is no worse in terms of technical abilty and intelligence and attacking nouse than carvajal at madrid for example............

so i dont think clyne is in need of an upgrade in a hurry...... , solid 7/10 fullback.....
    I understand why fans would say that and I said earlier I doubt there will be an urgency to replace. However when you look at how many touches our full backs have upfield it is important for a Klopp system they can have quality in the final third.

Alexander Trent Arnold played right back for us and delivered a ball better than any I've ever seen Clyne deliver. Our full backs touch the ball almost double what other full backs do in the opposition final third.

Clyne has what 2 goals and 1 assist in 70 matches? Maybe that's fair enough with Mane ahead of him but I do think Klopp enjoys having quality from the full back areas. I think that's why Milner earmarked for left back.

Hard working, intelligent, can beat a man and can deliver in the final third. Solid full back just my personal opinion in this style of football where our full backs are so high, so involved more quality and higher intelligence would benefit us.

Wouldn't bother me if we brought in a quality left back and Milner went to right back.

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Clyne is an excellent fullback and works well in our system.

A new right back is way down the list of who we need to buy.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

I understand why fans would say that and I said earlier I doubt there will be an urgency to replace. However when you look at how many touches our full backs have upfield it is important for a Klopp system they can have quality in the final third.

Alexander Trent Arnold played right back for us and delivered a ball better than any I've ever seen Clyne deliver. Our full backs touch the ball almost double what other full backs do in the opposition final third.

Clyne has what 2 goals and 1 assist in 70 matches? Maybe that's fair enough with Mane ahead of him but I do think Klopp enjoys having quality from the full back areas. I think that's why Milner earmarked for left back.

Hard working, intelligent, can beat a man and can deliver in the final third. Solid full back just my personal opinion in this style of football where our full backs are so high, so involved more quality and higher intelligence would benefit us.

Wouldn't bother me if we brought in a quality left back and Milner went to right back.
    think milner would make an excellent and better right back than left back....

and trent arnold reminds me of matip in terms of his calmness or that way of being or presence...... at his age , he just looks confident too.... big future for him i think.. i think its confidence actually... he shares that trait with matip... matip oozes confidence and i think taa does also , despite playing a different position

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post

Agreed on both points.

Clyne has been very consistent and we have a well capable young lad on the bench for cover if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post

Agreed.

Put it this way. I'm never worried about Clyne at RB. Don't even care who we're playing, and who is lining up opposite him. Have full faith in Clyne, and that is all I need from a RB.
    True. I've never thought 'oh **** X is playing on the left, I wonder if Clyne is up to it..' Clyne is one of those players I just expect on the team sheet without a second thought.

think milner would make an excellent and better right back than left back....

and trent arnold reminds me of matip in terms of his calmness or that way of being or presence...... at his age , he just looks confident too.... big future for him i think.. i think its confidence actually... he shares that trait with matip... matip oozes confidence and i think taa does also , despite playing a different position
    I think fans have different things they want in full back positions. I've said many times I think he's a decent full back but there are loads just like him around at the minute. If you like a solid defender, good one v one then you'll like him and he presses well.

Personally whilst I don't think there's any rush to replace and he may not be replaced ideally I'd have a player with more quality there. A player who imposes himself on games, intelligent, high quality end product.

When I watch us now Milner is always involved in more decisive attacking moments. He's a bigger character, gets involved more and has more quality. I prefer that. I get some here don't. You have to factor in we all have our own views on how we'd like us to play and depending on that people will have different ideas about full back.

I haven't seen anyone say Clyne is not a good RB.

I had Bellerin, Walker, Azpilcueta, and then Clyne. But I'd agree, Walker and Azpoicueta are almost apush because they offer different things, so on the whole they could be said to be on par.

Anyone blaming or wanting to improve our RB position is out of their mind.
    I'd add Valencia to that list.