Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Nathaniel Clyne

Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    yes he's very consistent and I'm not saying he isn't good going forward. I'm just saying he has to improve going forward, which is difficult the way that some teams are letting lovren have the ball on the right hand side of the field from the back. it would be great to see him being as effective offensively as coleman
    Thinking about it again, Clyne crossing can be improved.

The way Klopp get us playing passing and moving it's very hard to judge Clyne offensive play compared the rest of Premier League fullbacks.

He plays vital role in the final third with a buildup with his passing as it helps open up teams.

Only type of players you can be comparing with Dani Alves and many others Brazilian full backs,
    Last edited by BeautifulHistory; 5-3-17 at 11:07.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulHistory View Post

The way Klopp get us playing passing and moving it's very hard to judge Clyne offensive play compared the rest of Premier League fullbacks.

He plays vital role in the final third with a buildup with his passing as it helps open up teams.

Only type of place you can be comparing with Dani Alves and many others Brazilian full backs,
    agree

agree
    Is never going to reach that level & if we want that high level type of full back going cost a lot of money.

We just an ordinary full back who choke on his boots and whip in crosses and scores a few goals, then that's so much easier target to get to.

Like I said majority of our play is based on passing and moving.

Clyne best we can afford has that type of Passing range

Always when I watch Clyne, I wish that he'd 'let himself loose' from whatever is keeping him from blitzing up the pitch while hugging the line. Taking his chances more. Is it possibly instructions from Klopp, telling him to stay more defensive?

I mean, my impression is that he often runs a few meters, then stops, puts his foot on the ball - passes back towards a CB or in towards a CM, which is safe and fine and all that - but I think Clyne has pace and he sometimes shows he has a strong shot which would be useful up the field more often.

I think his crossing ability is poor. Especially the ones with air time very often seems to go too far, like missing the box entirely. It can be improved I'm sure. It'd be great to have a fullback who does his attacking as natural as he defends though.

If it is Clyne himself who isn't 'brave' enough, in the case of him not being instructed to stay back, I'd say that's a flaw in Clyne's game and perhaps he doesn't have confidence that he can dribble or run around players that often. I personally find his technique with the ball to be lacking a little bit; and looks to be relying a lot on his right foot to control pretty much all his moves.

I think he's pretty good defensively, he has pace and he tackles well - he's not that great at marking or heading though, which leaves that job to the CBs - but that's probably how it is for most teams.

Not knowing any stats as I write this I feel just from watching games that Milner has been a more active force from his left fullback position compared to Clyne, which is suprising to me.

Feel free to shoot me down if I'm completely off about these observations.

Quote Originally Posted by LChristina View Post
    Always when I watch Clyne, I wish that he'd 'let himself loose' from whatever is keeping him from blitzing up the pitch while hugging the line. Taking his chances more. Is it possibly instructions from Klopp, telling him to stay more defensive?

I mean, my impression is that he often runs a few meters, then stops, puts his foot on the ball - passes back towards a CB or in towards a CM, which is safe and fine and all that - but I think Clyne has pace and he sometimes shows he has a strong shot which would be useful up the field more often.

I think his crossing ability is poor. Especially the ones with air time very often seems to go too far, like missing the box entirely. It can be improved I'm sure. It'd be great to have a fullback who does his attacking as natural as he defends though.

If it is Clyne himself who isn't 'brave' enough, in the case of him not being instructed to stay back, I'd say that's a flaw in Clyne's game and perhaps he doesn't have confidence that he can dribble or run around players that often. I personally find his technique with the ball to be lacking a little bit; and looks to be relying a lot on his right foot to control pretty much all his moves.

I think he's pretty good defensively, he has pace and he tackles well - he's not that great at marking or heading though, which leaves that job to the CBs - but that's probably how it is for most teams.

Not knowing any stats as I write this I feel just from watching games that Milner has been a more active force from his left fullback position compared to Clyne, which is suprising to me.

Like to say he's been thinking about Clyne as offensive full back,

You can't really compare with normal full back , who does good crosss and and occasionally scores goals.

We are now pass and move team, so all about movement, Clyne plays a vital role offensively with his passing ability and he's off ball movement.

Now he could improve his crossing and his goal scoring record.

The only type of players you can compare him with is the past and a present best attacking full backs in the world and they don't come cheap

Quote Originally Posted by LChristina View Post

I would say he is good at marking and his positioning is good.

I would say he is good at marking and his positioning is good.
    Not for the goal yesterday though.

Like to say he's been thinking about Clyne as offensive full back,

You can't really compare with normal full back , who does good crosss and and occasionally scores goals.

We are now pass and move team, so all about movement,
    Clyne plays a vital role offensively with his passing ability and he's off ball movement.

Now he could improve his crossing and his goal scoring record.

The only type of players you can compare him with is the past and a present best attacking full backs in the world and they don't come cheap
    I understand what you're saying (as I did with your first post) and he does a good job. just think when we're trying to break down sides, and he puts a floated ball in, that type hardly has any success. and we don't really see him put a whipped cross into the box or across the box when he has space infront of him, so it's not an effective use of width

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    yes not for the goal yesterday. I haven't completely seen it in full but did he turn his back to the play when the pass through to welbeck was played?

we can always say his positioning isn't perfect though has to have discipline to stay with his other defenders

Only type of players you can be comparing with Dani Alves and many others Brazilian full backs,
    yeah and its in the final third where he can be improved upon. i dont think he is good enough there. Defensively he is sound but his attacking third work needs work.

I understand what you're saying (as I did with your first post) and he does a good job. just think when we're trying to break down sides, and he puts a floated ball in, that type hardly has any success. and we don't really see him put a whipped cross into the box or across the box when he has space infront of him, so it's not an effective use of width
    I agree that thinking about it yes he does need to improve his crossing

But like i said we are pass and move team , he might have Mane/Firmino/Coutino in front of him making space so they can receive pass in a more attacking position or into a goal scoring position.

Then he got runners Wijnaldum & Lallana moving into space what the front three have moved out of so again the pass option is there.

The problem the way we're playing, we sometimes only have one player actually in the box and none of our front five are giants and are not going to win headers all the time.

So it's hard to improve on your delivery of crosses as style of play doesn't really utilise that.

can't really compare other fallback to have targets in the box regular to aim cross to

That's why I said the only way you can compare him with Brazilians who played in a passing team what doesn't rely on crosses.

That type of players are expensive to buy

Quote Originally Posted by barneswasmyhero View Post
    yeah and its in the final third where he can be improved upon. i dont think he is good enough there. Defensively he is sound but his attacking third work needs work.
    what do you think needs improving

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    Remember last game v burnley.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    Remember last game v burnley.
    No mate, I've erased it.

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    No mate, I've erased it.
    2nd min I think.

had a good game, other than being the wrong side of barnes for the goal (although klavan shouldn't of left that much space to thread the ball) nice attempted cross in the first half. and read the game well in the second

gets no where near enough support on the right... could do with being a bit more brave on the ball too though.

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    what do you think needs improving
    his crossing, his head needs to be up more seeing what options are available to him when in possesion on the edge of the box.

Needs to work on his final third crosses and passes. He does well to get to the final third but then nothing happens. It seems like most teams are comfortable affording him space, for he finds himself in acres of space, knowing that he's ineffective. Jk and the coaching team need to spend time with him to work on his final third output. If they do, his assist and goal ration could and should go up significantly.

Didn't do enough for their goal today for me again. As was the case with the Arsenal goal.

He runs into the opposition pen area then hits a brick wall. He lacks instinct on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by LW94 View Post
    gets no where near enough support on the right... could do with being a bit more brave on the ball too though.
    Didn't do enough for their goal today for me again. As was the case with the Arsenal goal.
    Both of these statements are true.

Tbh he's the least of our problems.

had a lot of space to break in the 2nd half, thought he might have a go but played with the team well. Hopefully we can qualify for the CL so he can be tested more.

funnily enough he had 1 good cross and 1 poor cross last match, and he had 1 great strike and 1 poor strike this game

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Still looks a nervous wreck as soon as he actually has to take the ball. Great strike that hit the bar, but overall his attacking side is getting worse, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Still looks a nervous wreck as soon as he actually has to take the ball. Great strike that hit the bar, but overall his attacking side is getting worse, for me.
    Not just attacking. Let's in too many crosses. He hasn't been good this season.

For a team who can't defend crosses it must drive Klopp mad that Clyne and Miller let so many come in from the wings

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by An_buachaill_dearg View Post
    For a team who can't defend crosses it must drive Klopp mad that Clyne and Miller let so many come in from the wings
    not so mad that he gives taa chance at fullback

I'm least concerned about RB position - Clyne is solid enough and TAA is coming through (although I think he'll end up in midfield).

Goalkeeper, CB and LB are far bigger priorities and sort those out, Clyne would probably have more freedom to attack. Instead he has to be cautious thanks to the imposters playing in our defence.

We may as well sign Robles from Everton, go for the Royal Flush of calamity.

I've read somewhere we had around 70 % possession of the ball against Palace and in 80 mins of the game Clyney accomplished just 1 successful cross (the Coutinho header). In 10 mins of the game, TAA accomplished the same. :FP:
    Considering we have a blunt right fullback and a converted right-footed left fullback in our first choice XI, why am I even amazed we struggle to add width to our game and stretch the "bus" defenses?