Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: James Milner

Quote Originally Posted by Stuzza View Post
    You're confusing players we've signed and players we're linked with.

If you're concern is about players we're linked with then say so.

You just seem a bit confused generally, your opinions on Milner seem to have changed quite dramatically in the last couple of hours.
    Spot on here stuzza..

The tone I read the Initial op was a slight dig tone and carried on throughout which is why I picked him up on it..
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by madgielfc View Post
    not arsed who it was tbf..dont want either at lfc...better options elsewhere
    Oh agreed. Big time.

Decent player, Can do a number of jobs in tricky away games, I would take him if the price is right although I do think we and the squad need a big boost with a major signing.

One of Reus or Di Maria would do nicely would love one of those.

It's your thread and you've gone from 'getting more worried about the players we're signing' to appreciating that he could be a 'great addition'.
    I just explained that i tend to get involved in a few threads and sometimes i don't separate the discussions , Kind of makes sense when im talking in 2 or 3 threads to me but obviously confuses the hell out of other people. As i said ill try not to wonder so much in threads.

Quote Originally Posted by PAISLEYISNO1 View Post
    I hope we're working on some quality defensive targets and hopefully another 'keeper.
    Just answered the defence thing in another thread

It's your thread and you've gone from 'getting more worried about the players we're signing' to appreciating that he could be a 'great addition'.
    Ye, but don't take it literally

Quote Originally Posted by cut the mustard View Post
    Brendon Rodgers signings are getting a little more worrying as time goes on.
    You do realise he hasn't signed him don't you? So I wouldn't comment on how worrying our excellent managers signings are, in relation to a player he hasn't signed!
    Milner may not be a sexy signing but he hardly deserves the dismissive, snotty attitude of most posters here. He wld give his all every time he was asked to play. He's a decent central midfielder (to one paced out wide) who'd undertake his defensive duties and he can keep possession. We're probably not going to sign him, but if we did he'd do a good job

I just explained that i tend to get involved in a few threads and sometimes i don't separate the discussions , Kind of makes sense when im talking in 2 or 3 threads to me but obviously confuses the hell out of other people. As i said ill try not to wonder so much in threads.
    Wondering's fine, but you need to distinguish between signings and links.

I'd also suggest that in terms of us trying to attract 'top' players that might also be courted by other top clubs - we are probably not the first choice for such players and it may well be the case that we have to wait for them to agree to join us.

If Reus or Isco for example are genuinely available this summer I doubt either are dreaming of a move to Liverpool.

We COULD do what the likes of City have done in recent seasons of going in hard and high with a big bid and huge wage package that effectively rules out the competition, but we're not that sort of club and we're not in that position, so the best we can do at this stage is express an interest and hope that richer clubs don't make a move.

There are only so many players in that sort of bracket and the richer clubs probably won't sign all of them.

Last summer followed a similar pattern where we filled out the squad and then made moves for Mkhitaryan, Willian & Costa and also brought in Sakho.

Quote Originally Posted by skibeen View Post
    You do realise he hasn't signed him don't you? So I wouldn't comment on how worrying our excellent managers signings are, in relation to a player he hasn't signed!
    Milner may not be a sexy signing but he hardly deserves the dismissive, snotty attitude of most posters here. He wld give his all every time he was asked to play. He's a decent central midfielder (to one paced out wide) who'd undertake his defensive duties and he can keep possession. We're probably not going to sign him, but if we did he'd do a good job
    If i knew it would upset you so much i wouldnt of posted I also said he would be a good signing but oh well.

I probably would echo a few posters here in saying quite where he'd fit in here if link was true I couldn't be sure and I don't think it would seem like a smart move unless you're getting great value and see Lallana wide. I do think he's vastly under rated by most fans and not through his own faults as most would suggest.

In his youth career he was essentially a central midfielder or playing just off the striker. Very early on as he showed talent as normally happens he was given game time wide and did well. It's lead some people and with good reason as he's spent a lot of his time there to see him as a wide player.

He can be effective wide but by far his best season was playing central midfield for Villa. He scored 12 goals from central midfield that season and it led to City paying decent money for him.

Now he's not good enough to play centre mid for City or England so often he'll find himself wide. He's not really good enough to command a regular place here centrally, in fact he isn't but he's far from a poor player.

At the right club he'd get plenty of goals from central midfield but finds himself just outside that top bracket of clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    I probably would echo a few posters here in saying quite where he'd fit in here if link was true I couldn't be sure and I don't think it would seem like a smart move unless you're getting great value and see Lallana wide. I do think he's vastly under rated by most fans and not through his own faults as most would suggest.

In his youth career he was essentially a central midfielder or playing just off the striker. Very early on as he showed talent as normally happens he was given game time wide and did well. It's lead some people and with good reason as he's spent a lot of his time there to see him as a wide player.

He can be effective wide but by far his best season was playing central midfield for Villa. He scored 12 goals from central midfield that season and it led to City paying decent money for him.

Now he's not good enough to play centre mid for City or England so often he'll find himself wide. He's not really good enough to command a regular place here centrally, in fact he isn't but he's far from a poor player.

At the right club he'd get plenty of goals from central midfield but finds himself just outside that top bracket of clubs.
    So he's basically useless to us.

Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    So he's basically useless to us.
    There's no chance he'd be useless. He's never been useless for City in their two title wins he's contributed in both. Personally I think he'd be an excellent goalscoring central midfielder at an Everton, Spurs, Newcastle but a squad player at any club bigger.

There's no chance he'd be useless. He's never been useless for City in their two title wins he's contributed in both. Personally I think he'd be an excellent goalscoring central midfielder at an Everton, Spurs, Newcastle but a squad player at any club bigger.
    So you agree with me, he's useless to us.

So you agree with me, he's useless to us.
    Not at all. I wouldn't see the wisdom in signing him unless his value is great but scoring goals from central midfield isn't something we've ever excelled at. I could absolutely see in certain situations when rather than a creative player such as Coutinho centrally you'd want somebody who can break forward past the striker dropping deep and switch.

I could see his use but I repeat he'd only be a squad player..

Quote Originally Posted by AnfieldSouth41 View Post
    Solid performer. Can play either wing and CM aswell, im not against it on the cheap. To be fair he always performs for city when given the opportunity.
    I agree some have been pretty harsh with there rating of him! I'd rather sign Milner than Kalou.

Not at all. I wouldn't see the wisdom in signing him unless his value is great but scoring goals from central midfield isn't something we've ever excelled at. I could absolutely see in certain situations when rather than a creative player such as Coutinho centrally you'd want somebody who can break forward past the striker dropping deep and switch.

I could see his use but I repeat he'd only be a squad player..
    We don't need anymore squad players either though, we need upgrades so as I said before he's useless to us.

We don't need anymore squad players either though, we need upgrades so as I said before he's useless to us.
    we can upgrade squad players. He drastically changed quite a few games for city last year when they were struggling, i think he's very underrated. We could do far worse than Milner i quite like the idea of signing him he would be a big improvement on Allen and Lucas and has vast experience which is what we need.

I'm not sure he would be useless to us, he has experience at the top level and can play multiple positions only 28 as well despite it seeming like he has been around forever.

Hopefully it's just a meaningless link.

we can upgrade squad players. He drastically changed quite a few games for city last year when they were struggling, i think he's very underrated. We could do far worse than Milner i quite like the idea of signing him he would be a big improvement on Allen and Lucas and has vast experience which is what we need.
    I can't see it myself.

No idea why you hang onto this idea useless, when it's not true and can't be true. He probably wouldn't change the look of our squad massively but like I said in some games when you'd want a strong runner from central midfield to get beyond your striker he'd be a very good option.

In the games we play Lambert up top, teams would want him away from the box and walk up the pitch and Lambert drops deep beautifully and Milner getting beyond into the space from midfield would work against a high line.

In addition if you're counter attacking with pace through Sturridge, Sterling and Markovic and you want support from central midfield to add to the attack just like Lampard did for Chelsea then you could use Milner to good effect.

So he wouldn't be useless there would tactical situations he would certainly benefit us but perhaps not enough to warrant buying him in my eyes but who knows how Rodgers sees it?

Quote Originally Posted by beardall2304 View Post
    I'm not sure he would be useless to us, he has experience at the top level and can play multiple positions only 28 as well despite it seeming like he has been around forever.
    So you think he could improve our current squad as it stands?

Awful-Awful-Awful player. It would be like having two Moses at the club but twice as bad in one body!
    Nothing is impossible whilst it's still possible..........

So you think he could improve our current squad as it stands?
    I do yes. I dont think theres much doubt he's better than Lucus at this time is there ? probably also Allen

No idea why you hang onto this idea useless, when it's not true and can't be true. He probably wouldn't change the look of our squad massively but like I said in some games when you'd want a strong runner from central midfield to get beyond your striker he'd be a very good option.

In the games we play Lambert up top, teams would want him away from the box and walk up the pitch and Lambert drops deep beautifully and Milner getting beyond into the space from midfield would work against a high line.

In addition if you're counter attacking with pace through Sturridge, Sterling and Markovic and you want support from central midfield to add to the attack just like Lampard did for Chelsea then you could use Milner to good effect.

So he wouldn't be useless there would tactical situations he would certainly benefit us but perhaps not enough to warrant buying him in my eyes but who knows how Rodgers sees it?
    Gerrard, Can, Henderson, Allen, Lucas, Lallana, Coutinho and even Sterling can all play a central midfield role, why would we even consider Milner.

I do yes. I dont think theres much doubt he's better than Lucus at this time is there ? probably also Allen
    I think you are cutting crack not mustard if you think Milner improves us better than Allen
    Nothing is impossible whilst it's still possible..........

Gerrard, Can, Henderson, Allen, Lucas, Lallana, Coutinho and even Sterling can all play a central midfield role, why would we even consider Milner.
    They all can. I'm not talking about the same roles they occupy I was saying the midfield role where the central midfielder gets beyond the striker. Lucas can't do that, Gerrard is too old, Henderson can but he's flourished elsewhere and whilst Coutinho and Lallana create I don't think they have that running power to break beyond a striker.

Sterling can but in a 4-3-3 you wouldn't have him centre mid would you?

I've given you tactical examples of where he'd be of use, meaning he wouldn't be useless but I'm not saying I'd sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTrilogy View Post
    I think you are cutting crack not mustard if you think Milner improves us better than Allen

And lucus ? and im a big fan of lucus. But from what ive seen over the years from Milner id have to say he would be an improvement on Allen to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTrilogy View Post
    Oooh lol I'm not sure I reckon Milner just edges it.

They all can. I'm not talking about the same roles they occupy I was saying the midfield role where the central midfielder gets beyond the striker. Lucas can't do that, Gerrard is too old, Henderson can but he's flourished elsewhere and whilst Coutinho and Lallana create I don't think they have that running power to break beyond a striker.

Sterling can but in a 4-3-3 you wouldn't have him centre mid would you?

I've given you tactical examples of where he'd be of use, meaning he wouldn't be useless but I'm not saying I'd sign him.
    Firmino?