Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 85 FirstFirst ... 347482838485 LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,520 of 2532

Thread: James Milner

He defended dreadfully for City's goal. That was really poor from Milner, gave De Bruyne 15 yards of space to pick out a cross.

And Klavan was too slow to react to Aguero but Milner should have been tighter in the first place.

Milner had an alright game otherwise.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post
    He defended dreadfully for City's goal. That was really poor from Milner, gave De Bruyne 15 yards of space to pick out a cross.

And Klavan was too slow to react to Aguero but Milner should have been tighter in the first place.

Interesting though that a lot is made of the defence and keeper errors, blame attributed when we say draw 1-1 and a mistake cost us the equaliser (or opening goal) and therefore the 3 points.

So is this shared blame or do we only do the blame game on keepers and players we don't like....?
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Interesting though that a lot is made of the defence and keeper errors, blame attributed when we say draw 1-1 and a mistake cost us the equaliser (or opening goal) and therefore the 3 points.

So is this shared blame or do we only do the blame game on keepers and players we don't like....?
    Don't think it was the kind of match where you blame one player for the result, it was a mental game.

Lallana could have won it, Aguero could have won it, Caballero could have lost it, etc etc.

There are some matches where decisive errors are indeed decisive. But yesterday was not like that. Great game for neutrals, I'm sure.

Not sure what his plan was when the ball was going out for a goal kick a yard from the line and he booted it out for a corner.

Coach791 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    Not sure what his plan was when the ball was going out for a goal kick a yard from the line and he booted it out for a corner.
    Lovely Cruff-esque turn down the left, some intelligent passing for a full back, great penalty, scoring and creating goals all season. Plenty to be positive about. Clyne actually had a stand out game for long periods yesterday as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    Lovely Cruff-esque turn down the left, some intelligent passing for a full back, great penalty, scoring and creating goals all season. Plenty to be positive about. Clyne actually had a stand out game for long periods yesterday as well.
    Tis a shame we can't just bring him on for penalties Coach, a bit like kickers in grid iron. He takes a mean penalty though that's for sure and has the heart of a lion.

lets face it we are lucky to have the name james milner actually in a liverpool shirt.
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water.

Quote Originally Posted by evil tourist View Post
    lets face it we are lucky to have the name james milner actually in a liverpool shirt.
    I don't mind him wearing the shirt, it's the playing bit.

Yesterdays game showed why we need a proper left back. Milly has been good, but we'd be better if we had a dedicated left back. He'd be a brilliant midfield back up next season. Great professional.

I don't mind him wearing the shirt, it's the playing bit.
    very good
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water.

Tis a shame we can't just bring him on for penalties Coach, a bit like kickers in grid iron. He takes a mean penalty though that's for sure and has the heart of a lion.
    That's not true and I think you probably know it. He stopped an almost certain goal with his challenge putting off Sterling, he did an incredible Cruyff turn skinning City full back, he has a level of passing few full backs can match, delivers good crosses, scores goals even if from penalties and heart of a lion and produces quite often in big games.

That's a far cry from just coming on to take a penalty but I think it's safe to assume you were just having a littl fun because of his expert penalties.

That's not true and I think you probably know it. He stopped an almost certain goal with his challenge putting off Sterling, he did an incredible Cruyff turn skinning City full back, he has a level of passing few full backs can match, delivers good crosses, scores goals even if from penalties and heart of a lion and produces quite often in big games.

That's a far cry from just coming on to take a penalty but I think it's safe to assume you were just having a littl fun because of his expert penalties.
    I was being overly harsh, I agree. I do think he's done o.k at left back in general and prefer him there to midfield but in truth I don't think he's of the required standard to be a starter at that level.

If it was all about heart and endeavour he'd be world class, but it isn't.

He's

not

a

left

back

Warten Auf 19 is online now Another New User Name
    Him or Lallana as captain next season, for me.
    "Nobody can beat us!" - Jurgen Klopp. 31/01/2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Warten Auf 19 View Post
    Him or Lallana as captain next season, for me.
    Please, no.

I was being overly harsh, I agree. I do think he's done o.k at left back in general and prefer him there to midfield but in truth I don't think he's of the required standard to be a starter at that level.

If it was all about heart and endeavour he'd be world class, but it isn't.
    We all have opinions but there's not a full back in the Premier League that ticks all boxes. Clyne had a decent game yesterday but his lack of intelligent movement, technical ability going forward and the fact he contributes so little in attack especially against packed defence can also be frustrating.

It depends the system and style of play you want to use I guess. It's rare to find a top quality full back in Prem these days.

We all have opinions but there's not a full back in the Premier League that ticks all boxes. Clyne had a decent game yesterday but his lack of intelligent movement, technical ability going forward and the fact he contributes so little in attack especially against packed defence can also be frustrating.

It depends the system and style of play you want to use I guess. It's rare to find a top quality full back in Prem these days.
    That much is true.

Quote Originally Posted by LivapewlDivas View Post
    He's

not

a

left

back
    On fifa maybe not
    but in real life he is, has been all season too.

I wonder will Klopp bring in a new LB in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    I wonder will Klopp bring in a new LB in the summer.
    Should do I reckon Mouldy but might not as he seems to like Milner.

He is so cool when taking a penalty. I always worry that he's going to miss, then after I think, why was I worried? it's James Milner, he doesn't miss.

And as for that statistic that he's never lost in a game he's scored in, now at 47 games, that's incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    On fifa maybe not
    but in real life he is, has been all season too.
    No he's not, Klopp said himself he's the complete MIDFIELDER.

He just decided since Moreno is so **** and can't be bothered to spend, just stick milner there.

He's played 14 of his 15 year career for club and country in midfield.

Carra did well to explain Milners mistake for the goal in the post-match analysis.

Quick summary of it: Milner has a good initial position when the ball is on the other side of the pitch, the ball moved 15 yards into the pitch but Milner fails to adjust his position, he should've moved a little wider to close the space that KDB had. That would've give him the time to make up the space during the flight of the ball.

Also mentions that Klavan should've dropped a little deeper and that Klavan made the same mistake for the Burnley goal.

Quote Originally Posted by LW94 View Post
    Carra did well to explain Milners mistake for the goal in the post-match analysis.

Quick summary of it: Milner has a good initial position when the ball is on the other side of the pitch, the ball moved 15 yards into the pitch but Milner fails to adjust his position, he should've moved a little wider to close the space that KDB had. That would've give him the time to make up the space during the flight of the ball.

Also mentions that Klavan should've dropped a little deeper and that Klavan made the same mistake for the Burnley goal.
    I find a lot of Liverpool fans agree with what whatever Carragher says. Personally Carragher's job is to be a pundit, which means to be a critic. If he says these things happen too much what are they paying him for.

Of course my opinion doesn't matter to Liverpool fans but I'll share and expand and add some context. Many times during this match City got into the channels between full back and centre backs and put dangerous balls in.

Milner's starting position is very close to the centre back. Klopp was clear that Klavan couldn't be exposed against both Burnley and City and that's understandable. Now if you see when City switch where De Bruyne is he receives the ball on the touchline. I'll post a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROaaFjRJyUw

Forward to 6:03 for overhead view to see the spaces clearly.

From the touchline De Bruyne the majority of the time isn't particularly dangerous. The problem for Liverpool for several moments in the match was the space between Milner and Klavan which was quite significant here given De Bruyne was way out on the touchline and City switched.

This time City didn't have a threat in that space but once Milner turns and moves towards to De Bruyne he can't see what's behind him. Another factor is De Bruyne is an excellent player so you can't just keep running at him. Milner has to decelerate. If he just keeps going De Bruyne's first touch could well be past Milner and he's in the space between and down the channels.

So Milner brakes. Count how long De Bruyne has the ball at his feet before crossing. It's a split second. Could he have been a fraction deeper, fraction wider? Maybe but that completely removes the context of the threat hadn't been from the touchline the entire game. It had been in the space in behind.

What's more relevant is that Klavan needs to take his position from Milner. If De Bruyne gets the ball around Milner there's only a small corridor the ball can go into and Klavan shouldn't really be stretching to stop that ball into corridor. Klavan though himself has some mitigating circumstances if I recall correctly. I think Aguero when he'd dropped deep had nipped in front of him a couple of times in the match from crosses.

Fans confuse what Carragher says with definitive mistakes being highlighted. Carragher is paid to highlight any little thing possible. In this case the reality is De Bruyne from the touchline put an almost perfect ball into Aguero who finished.

What Carragher is showing is less 'mistake' than not quite perfect defending. Milner's starting position was good, he got out, he was trying to stop the ball inside which had caused them problems whilst creating a difficult obstacle for the cross whilst braking enough to De Bruyne couldn't knock it past him and beat him in the space.

If De Bruyne doesn't get that cross perfect we say well done Milner. Covered Klavan to start, didn't get to close and get skinned and De Bruyne as a threat from touchline you'd take that. It was a quality ball just like Burnley.

There was another similarity with Burnley that most didn't notice. In both goals the crosses were perfect. secondly Burnley and City had two forwards against two centre backs meaning if you can put the ball between centre back and goalkeeper the forwards are in a great position.

Now compare and contrast that with Burnley in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdmMt2JpI1Q

Stop the video at 0.36 seconds.

Burnley from their left, our right cross the ball and Clyne jumps over the ball (which actually is an obvious mistake to be 10 feet in the air whilst the ball comes across the deck). First thing is the quality if the cross isn't that great. Secondly as I've pointed out we overload our right and expand our left. Count how many players are between Clyne and Matip (who adjusts well) and what a small space they occupy.

In the 10 yards between Clyne and Matip there are 5 Liverpool players with Mane, Lallana and Can joining them. That's not easy to pick out a cross from. I don't know why Clynhe is jumped that is an actual mistake but it's also very unlikely to be punished because crossing through so many bodies in such a small space is much harder.

For Burnley's goal the cross cane from deeper. There were less players between the ball and the targets (we don't condense the left) and a cracking ball, very hard to execute that cross but the spaces are much bigger.

Fans seem to have never understood this about our left hand side. It's massively more open and that's a tactical thing. There are much bigger spaces. Take the goal from City vs the cross I highlighted from Burnley.

Milner is worried about protecting Klavan because our left sided centre back is exposed much more. Then he's got to make up 20 yards to get out to De Bruyne. Then he's worried about a little ball in behind him, or De Bruyne driving into the space ans then he's worried about the cross.

Clyne against Burnley when the ball goes wide jumps in the air before the ball is crossed. He didn't have to worry about the space between him and Matip as it is completely shut off by Mane, Lallana and Can. He knows he can jump and take his eye of the ball a significant mistake from a full back but it probably won't matter because that side is shut down with no space.

This isn't a criticism of Clyne defensively he's a good player. However fans have to realise defending for our left back is massively more complex than defending for our right back, especially from crosses. Our left side is so open that multiple threats exist for the full back.

This is wrongly translated by many fans in a variety of situations as poor defending. If Milner has Coutinho, Wijnaldum and Can inside he goes and engages De Bruyne and gets closer. If you noticed Guardiola sent Sagna on to the pitch.

That was because he could see the potential of exposing that space by bringing on a right back, fresh to get down the flank and expose our open left. Klopp's response was almost immediate Mane went to the opposite side to give Milner the positional protection Mane offers Clyne.

That's why Coutinho came off. Origi then went wide right to replace Mane in giving Clyne positional protection. That's why I time after time I see instant analysis found wanting even from people astute as Carragher.

Context is missing, time to digest and understand why things occurred is missing. Carragher is the the position he has to find a mistake somewhere and find it instantly and without any real context of the game. You can point to 1000's of minor imperfections every game and the only ones highlighted are those where goals come and they're done so with no context or no mitigation.
    Last edited by Coach791; 21-3-17 at 10:20.

He's been decent at LB , ridiculous we didn't take care of the lb issue last summer or January.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendOfBill View Post
    He's been decent at LB , ridiculous we didn't take care of the lb issue last summer or January.
    Who would you have signed that would have been guaranteed to have been better than Milner this season? Which player would have proven big game mentality, be as mentally strong, contribute as much and gain us more points?

I find a lot of Liverpool fans agree with what whatever Carragher says. Personally Carragher's job is to be a pundit, which means to be a critic. If he says these things happen too much what are they paying him for.

Of course my opinion doesn't matter to Liverpool fans but I'll share and expand and add some context. Many times during this match City got into the channels between full back and centre backs and put dangerous balls in.

Milner's starting position is very close to the centre back. Klopp was clear that Klavan couldn't be exposed against both Burnley and City and that's understandable. Now if you see when City switch where De Bruyne is he receives the ball on the touchline. I'll post a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROaaFjRJyUw

Forward to 6:03 for overhead view to see the spaces clearly.

From the touchline De Bruyne the majority of the time isn't particularly dangerous. The problem for Liverpool for several moments in the match was the space between Milner and Klavan which was quite significant here given De Bruyne was way out on the touchline and City switched.

This time City didn't have a threat in that space but once Milner turns and moves towards to De Bruyne he can't see what's behind him. Another factor is De Bruyne is an excellent player so you can't just keep running at him. Milner has to decelerate. If he just keeps going De Bruyne's first touch could well be past Milner and he's in the space between and down the channels.

So Milner brakes. Count how long De Bruyne has the ball at his feet before crossing. It's a split second. Could he have been a fraction deeper, fraction wider? Maybe but that completely removes the context of the threat hadn't been from the touchline the entire game. It had been in the space in behind.

What's more relevant is that Klavan needs to take his position from Milner. If De Bruyne gets the ball around Milner there's only a small corridor the ball can go into and Klavan shouldn't really be stretching to stop that ball into corridor. Klavan though himself has some mitigating circumstances if I recall correctly. I think Aguero when he'd dropped deep had nipped in front of him a couple of times in the match from crosses.

Fans confuse what Carragher says with definitive mistakes being highlighted. Carragher is paid to highlight any little thing possible. In this case the reality is De Bruyne from the touchline put an almost perfect ball into Aguero who finished.

What Carragher is showing is less 'mistake' than not quite perfect defending. Milner's starting position was good, he got out, he was trying to stop the ball inside which had caused them problems whilst creating a difficult obstacle for the cross whilst braking enough to De Bruyne couldn't knock it past him and beat him in the space.

If De Bruyne doesn't get that cross perfect we say well done Milner. Covered Klavan to start, didn't get to close and get skinned and De Bruyne as a threat from touchline you'd take that. It was a quality ball just like Burnley.

There was another similarity with Burnley that most didn't notice. In both goals the crosses were perfect. secondly Burnley and City had two forwards against two centre backs meaning if you can put the ball between centre back and goalkeeper the forwards are in a great position.

Now compare and contrast that with Burnley in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdmMt2JpI1Q

Stop the video at 0.36 seconds.

Burnley from their left, our right cross the ball and Clyne jumps over the ball (which actually is an obvious mistake to be 10 feet in the air whilst the ball comes across the deck). First thing is the quality if the cross isn't that great. Secondly as I've pointed out we overload our right and expand our left. Count how many players are between Clyne and Matip (who adjusts well) and what a small space they occupy.

In the 10 yards between Clyne and Matip there are 5 Liverpool players with Mane, Lallana and Can joining them. That's not easy to pick out a cross from. I don't know why Clynhe is jumped that is an actual mistake but it's also very unlikely to be punished because crossing through so many bodies in such a small space is much harder.

For Burnley's goal the cross cane from deeper. There were less players between the ball and the targets (we don't condense the left) and a cracking ball, very hard to execute that cross but the spaces are much bigger.

Fans seem to have never understood this about our left hand side. It's massively more open and that's a tactical thing. There are much bigger spaces. Take the goal from City vs the cross I highlighted from Burnley.

Milner is worried about protecting Klavan because our left sided centre back is exposed much more. Then he's got to make up 20 yards to get out to De Bruyne. Then he's worried about a little ball in behind him, or De Bruyne driving into the space ans then he's worried about the cross.

Clyne against Burnley when the ball goes wide jumps in the air before the ball is crossed. He didn't have to worry about the space between him and Matip as it is completely shut off by Mane, Lallana and Can. He knows he can jump and take his eye of the ball a significant mistake from a full back but it probably won't matter because that side is shut down with no space.

This isn't a criticism of Clyne defensively he's a good player. However fans have to realise defending for our left back is massively more complex than defending for our right back, especially from crosses. Our left side is so open that multiple threats exist for the full back.

This is wrongly translated by many fans in a variety of situations as poor defending. If Milner has Coutinho, Wijnaldum and Can inside he goes and engages De Bruyne and gets closer. If you noticed Guardiola sent Sagna on to the pitch.

That was because he could see the potential of exposing that space by bringing on a right back, fresh to get down the flank and expose our open left. Klopp's response was almost immediate Mane went to the opposite side to give Milner the positional protection Mane offers Clyne.

That's why Coutinho came off. Origi then went wide right to replace Mane in giving Clyne positional protection. That's why I time after time I see instant analysis found wanting even from people astute as Carragher.

Context is missing, time to digest and understand why things occurred is missing. Carragher is the the position he has to find a mistake somewhere and find it instantly and without any real context of the game. You can point to 1000's of minor imperfections every game and the only ones highlighted are those where goals come and they're done so with no context or no mitigation.
    Epic post. We can be nit picky about mistakes players make but when need to just give kudos when the delivery of the ball was sublime. Yes, Klavan could have dropped deeper and covered that area in behind to perhaps prevent the City goal but Aguero is a master at running into spaces. Klavan, who doesn't have that much experience playing against players like Ageuro, wouldn't think that defending that space would be more effective than staying with his man (which is what he opted for).

I feel the Burnley goal was more of Can's mistake more than anybody else's because Klavan is caught in a awkward position where the cross would have to be sublime to take all the Liverpool defenders out of the game.
    Last edited by SSJ4Gogeta; 21-3-17 at 12:28.

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ4Gogeta View Post
    Epic post. We can be nit picky about mistakes players make but when need to just give kudos when the delivery of the ball was sublime. Yes, Klavan could have dropped deeper and covered that area in behind to perhaps prevent the City goal but Aguero is a master at running into spaces. Klavan, who doesn't have that much experience playing against players like Ageuro, wouldn't think that defending that space would be more effective than staying with his man (which is what he opted for).

I feel the Burnley goal was more of Can's mistake more than anybody else's because Klavan is caught in a awkward position where the cross would have to be sublime to take all the Liverpool defenders out of the game.
    Klavan would have had it in his mind that if De Bruyne decides to take Milner on he's got to get across. Once Aguero gets ahead of him he's not getting back.

That's where you need cover from your centre back partner and full back on the opposite side to the player in possession. Not only didn''t Matip cover Klavan but he didn't get back with Silva either, who would have tapped in if Aguero hadn't.

Not sure where Clyne was.

Klavan would have had it in his mind that if De Bruyne decides to take Milner on he's got to get across. Once Aguero gets ahead of him he's not getting back.

That's where you need cover from your centre back partner and full back on the opposite side to the player in possession. Not only didn''t Matip cover Klavan but he didn't get back with Silva either, who would have tapped in if Aguero hadn't.

Not sure where Clyne was.
    More points worth looking at from RR. What if De Bruyne takes the ball and rives inside Milner into the space (the space is the danger) and this is also a reason I suggested Milner didn't get too close because that might have happened.

Klavan had also been beat near post on a couple of crosses with Aguero nipping in front so wary or dropping back. It's hard to definitively criticise players for minor 'debatable' mistakes too harshly without context or mitigation which is unfortunately what Carragher has to do.

This is what the media does. Exaggerate everything with somebody always completely to blame, somebody at fault, it's a terrible mistake, it's not always comfortable to watch. Usually pundits will mitigate with 'what a great ball though' and there in lies the honest truth.

We can debate small alterations in a positional sense to what happened. In actual fact tactically, the way we play there was a big space between Milner and Klavan. Milner was tight with Klavan and the ball went wide stretching the play on the flank we're most open.

If there's space behind you, you're worried about Klavan being isolated and you see De Bruyne hugging the touchline and the ball lands at his feet and you've got pass inside covered, you haven't committed so he can drive at you or go in behind and his only option is to swing pretty much a first time cross in from wide into the box for Aguero most of the time that's absolutely a good defensive situation.

The cross didn't come in high (as expected) but unfortunately was pinpoint and Aguero is razor sharp. The opposition has great quality. The fact they have great quality doesn't turn minor debatable mistakes into big ones. It's football two City players produced great quality in a moment danger wasn't inevitable.

More points worth looking at from RR. What if De Bruyne takes the ball and rives inside Milner into the space (the space is the danger) and this is also a reason I suggested Milner didn't get too close because that might have happened.

Klavan had also been beat near post on a couple of crosses with Aguero nipping in front so wary or dropping back. It's hard to definitively criticise players for minor 'debatable' mistakes too harshly without context or mitigation which is unfortunately what Carragher has to do.

This is what the media does. Exaggerate everything with somebody always completely to blame, somebody at fault, it's a terrible mistake, it's not always comfortable to watch. Usually pundits will mitigate with 'what a great ball though' and there in lies the honest truth.

We can debate small alterations in a positional sense to what happened. In actual fact tactically, the way we play there was a big space between Milner and Klavan. Milner was tight with Klavan and the ball went wide stretching the play on the flank we're most open.

If there's space behind you, you're worried about Klavan being isolated and you see De Bruyne hugging the touchline and the ball lands at his feet and you've got pass inside covered, you haven't committed so he can drive at you or go in behind and his only option is to swing pretty much a first time cross in from wide into the box for Aguero most of the time that's absolutely a good defensive situation.

The cross didn't come in high (as expected) but unfortunately was pinpoint and Aguero is razor sharp. The opposition has great quality. The fact they have great quality doesn't turn minor debatable mistakes into big ones. It's football two City players produced great quality in a moment danger wasn't inevitable.
    I agree. I didn't like that they rubbed further salt in Klavan's wounds when they talked about the mistake he made for Burnley's goal but the point was a good one to make regardless by the pundits. I guess the main thing here to take away is that you can always make maximise the prevention of defending but up to the point where the delivery of the ball of the was just a class one.

Carragher highlighted Klavan's mistake but he didn't use adjective to describe or define the mistake which could suggest he was just being nitpicky as a pundit.

All 40+ yards shots can be prevented but putting a block in (yes, an extreme example but it makes my point).

The good news is that I think Klavan is learning. Yes, the mistakes happened twice which helped the goal being scored more easy but he has reduced the frequency of the mistakes being made.

Less mistakes = Progress.