Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 1853

Thread: Depression and its effects, a discussion thread

  1. #1591  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,100
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    Since Friday night he's spent a grand total of thirty minutes not sitting in front of the computer.
    On a brighter note,he's finally changed out of the clothes he'd been wearing for seventeen days.
    Maybe he's turned a corner.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #1592  
    aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    49,720
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    Since Friday night he's spent a grand total of thirty minutes not sitting in front of the computer.
    On a brighter note,he's finally changed out of the clothes he'd been wearing for seventeen days.
    Does he not have many ? The lad who stays with us on and off had no money so my daughter bought him a few bits from primark, I get the impression he's a lazy arse from what you write i just wondered.
    dont look back in anger.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #1593  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    36,119
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Does he not have many ? The lad who stays with us on and off had no money so my daughter bought him a few bits from primark, I get the impression he's a lazy arse from what you write i just wondered.
    He's got loads of clothes,his mother bought him a pile of stuff when he went back to her earlier this year.She had to really because he didn't take anything with him when they dragged him out of here.
    His problem is being too bone idle to get changed and when he does he can't be bothered to put the dirty clothes in the linen basket.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #1594  
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,974
    Persons who suffer from depression may have a greater chance of suffering eventually from dementia, although I can not remember the source of this information.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #1595  
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    12,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Toredo View Post
    Persons who suffer from depression may have a greater chance of suffering eventually from dementia, although I can not remember the source of this information.
    That's why I drink at least three pints of coffee each day. Gotta offset my brain chemistry.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #1596  
    ONDEFENCE is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    31,652
    Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Probably best all around to dump the posts, Ayles… we likely would've been back and forth on it for ages. And that would've been depressing.

    This is a de facto support group, after all, not just another place for argie-bargie.
    support group and great thread
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #1597  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,608
    Quote Originally Posted by ONDEFENCE View Post
    support group and great thread
    It is, indeed.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #1598  
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    9,757
    Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    It is, indeed.
    You might want to pop into the 'Random Thoughts' thread mate, got some people worrying about you.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #1599  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,608
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    You might want to pop into the 'Random Thoughts' thread mate, got some people worrying about you.
    Righto.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #1600  
    aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    49,720
    Does anyone have any experience of coming off fluoxetine - been on 18 months, been on other anti d's since 2001.

    If I try and come off things go a bit haywire so i go back on I don't know whether just to ride it out and see if i come out the other side or does it really matter if I have to pop a pill for the rest of my life is it that big a deal ?

    Cheers
    dont look back in anger.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #1601  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    26,933
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Does anyone have any experience of coming off fluoxetine - been on 18 months, been on other anti d's since 2001.

    If I try and come off things go a bit haywire so i go back on I don't know whether just to ride it out and see if i come out the other side or does it really matter if I have to pop a pill for the rest of my life is it that big a deal ?

    Cheers
    I was on fluoxetine for 5 or 6 years - my plan was always to take them while I needed them - but not stay on them

    I surrounded myself with friends and 4 knew the whole story, most didn't know a thing, including family......
    But it took me 5 years to work out the issues, rid myself of the stresses and put myself in a place to move forward.... that took about a year to sort out....

    About 18 months ago I stopped taking anti d, fluoxetine, I knew that I was in a better place, that that phase was finished....

    Now I have a new crossroad to sort out

    The answer is no you don't have to pop pills, it depends where you are, what you want and who is around you....

    I hope you and anybody else find your way out of the darkness
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #1602  
    aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    49,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    I was on fluoxetine for 5 or 6 years - my plan was always to take them while I needed them - but not stay on them

    I surrounded myself with friends and 4 knew the whole story, most didn't know a thing, including family......
    But it took me 5 years to work out the issues, rid myself of the stresses and put myself in a place to move forward.... that took about a year to sort out....

    About 18 months ago I stopped taking anti d, fluoxetine, I knew that I was in a better place, that that phase was finished....

    Now I have a new crossroad to sort out

    The answer is no you don't have to pop pills, it depends where you are, what you want and who is around you....

    I hope you and anybody else find your way out of the darkness
    Thanks for your post mate

    My plan was the same when I started citalpram in 2001, prior to a heavy crash back end of 15/early 16 I was still on them, I moved on to fluoxetine in Feb 16.

    I've worked out my issues and have gone from the absolute lowest 18 months ago to a really settled and comfortable place.

    However, in this new chapter of my life having addressed certain areas and also had a diagnosis for Aspergers where depression is apparently common I'm still in a 'get to know' phase I still feel still prone to low levels of depression here and there, nothing significant but Im aware it's there, perhaps that will always be the case; part of me wants to get off them to be 'clean' whereas the other part thinks stay on them what does it matter. Guess at some point I'll go see the doc for some advice.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #1603  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    26,933
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Thanks for your post mate

    My plan was the same when I started citalpram in 2001, prior to a heavy crash back end of 15/early 16 I was still on them, I moved on to fluoxetine in Feb 16.

    I've worked out my issues and have gone from the absolute lowest 18 months ago to a really settled and comfortable place.

    However, in this new chapter of my life having addressed certain areas and also had a diagnosis for Aspergers where depression is apparently common I'm still in a 'get to know' phase I still feel still prone to low levels of depression here and there, nothing significant but Im aware it's there, perhaps that will always be the case; part of me wants to get off them to be 'clean' whereas the other part thinks stay on them what does it matter. Guess at some point I'll go see the doc for some advice.
    Yeah my doc has been one of the 4 - that knows everything -
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #1604  
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    16
    I know this might sound a little stupid but i suffer from anxiety..like super serious anxiety when i am stressed. It's so much that i cannot sleep at night..i just want to know if this is related to depression in a way?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #1605  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    26,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina M View Post
    I know this might sound a little stupid but i suffer from anxiety..like super serious anxiety when i am stressed. It's so much that i cannot sleep at night..i just want to know if this is related to depression in a way?
    I would check your blood pressure first - do you know why and what you get stress attacks from - the root of your problem needs addressing
    Keep a log - recognise the signs - whats good in you life and whats bad - you can then start to understand and control it, rather than it control you
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #1606  
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    15,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina M View Post
    I know this might sound a little stupid but i suffer from anxiety..like super serious anxiety when i am stressed. It's so much that i cannot sleep at night..i just want to know if this is related to depression in a way?
    Same as the wife.
    And she have really problems trying to identify the source. Its up and down constantly.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #1607  
    aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    49,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina M View Post
    I know this might sound a little stupid but i suffer from anxiety..like super serious anxiety when i am stressed. It's so much that i cannot sleep at night..i just want to know if this is related to depression in a way?
    Firstly it doesn't sound stupid,not at all, many mnay people have varying levels of anxiety.

    There are many causes, Mysterons suggestion below is a good one to establish what triggers it, in my experience you can have anxiety without depression and the other way round so I would say it's worth a chat with a GP

    I sourced a site for you which might be worth having a read >> https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/anxiety.htm

    best wishes
    dont look back in anger.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #1608  
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    15,976
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Firstly it doesn't sound stupid,not at all, many mnay people have varying levels of anxiety.

    There are many causes, Mysterons suggestion below is a good one to establish what triggers it, in my experience you can have anxiety without depression and the other way round so I would say it's worth a chat with a GP

    I sourced a site for you which might be worth having a read >> https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/anxiety.htm

    best wishes
    Anxieties are more common then people think. And to many people think its a taboo to talk about it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #1609  
    aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    49,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Anxieties are more common then people think. And to many people think its a taboo to talk about it.
    Indeed, and it's sad really, you break a leg, it's visible everyone wishes you well, tell someone you have a mental health issue and in some quarters it's a hush - i never hide mine, if by talking it might help someone or encourage someone to speak up then it's worth it.

    I think it's 1 in 4 will encounter some form of mental illness from mild to severe during their lifetime my phsycologist told me, that's alot of people many suffering in silence.

    I hope your wife finds recovery from it mate
    dont look back in anger.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #1610  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    36,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Same as the wife.
    And she have really problems trying to identify the source. Its up and down constantly.
    The only time I sleep properly is when I'm away from home.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #1611  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    20,817
    I am having a bit of a hard time staying positive at the moment, I feel like I am going round in circles, up down up down, I might have to grudgingly accept the offer of medication from the doctors once more, It worked for me well before, maybe I should have never come off them.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #1612  
    TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina M View Post
    I know this might sound a little stupid but i suffer from anxiety..like super serious anxiety when i am stressed. It's so much that i cannot sleep at night..i just want to know if this is related to depression in a way?
    Doesn't sound stupid at all. I myself suffer from anxiety as well, which oftentimes accompanies episodes of depression (but not always). When my anxiety is bad the littlest startle will have me feeling on edge for hours. I also have problems sleeping in general, but sleepless nights from anxiety are 10x worse than just regular insomnia in my experience, so I can completely empathize with you.

    In terms of your question, my (non-professional) understanding is that while anxiety and depression are separate disorders, oftentimes anxiety-like symptoms can accompany depression. As mentioned above that happens to me. But I also have anxiety issues even separate from depression.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #1613  
    TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,666
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    I am having a bit of a hard time staying positive at the moment, I feel like I am going round in circles, up down up down, I might have to grudgingly accept the offer of medication from the doctors once more, It worked for me well before, maybe I should have never come off them.
    That's always a difficult decision to make. While I am not on any medication now, I know I made the decision to go off of my meds in graduate school, and it was a big mistake. I was much better when I went back on them. I do know that for whatever reason, they did end up having to find a different combo of meds when I returned to them, so don't be surprised or discouraged if it takes some time to get your meds right this time around.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #1614  
    TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,666
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Indeed, and it's sad really, you break a leg, it's visible everyone wishes you well, tell someone you have a mental health issue and in some quarters it's a hush - i never hide mine, if by talking it might help someone or encourage someone to speak up then it's worth it.

    I think it's 1 in 4 will encounter some form of mental illness from mild to severe during their lifetime my phsycologist told me, that's alot of people many suffering in silence.

    I hope your wife finds recovery from it mate
    It really is a shame. I have said the same thing about comparing to cancer to depression, for example. If somebody passes from cancer, you talk about it, and look into what you can do to make a difference for others moving forward. It needs to be the same with suicide and depression.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #1615  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    26,933
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    I am having a bit of a hard time staying positive at the moment, I feel like I am going round in circles, up down up down, I might have to grudgingly accept the offer of medication from the doctors once more, It worked for me well before, maybe I should have never come off them.
    Wish you well in your fight, mate - and the same too all others struggling out there
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #1616  
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    15,976
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    I am having a bit of a hard time staying positive at the moment, I feel like I am going round in circles, up down up down, I might have to grudgingly accept the offer of medication from the doctors once more, It worked for me well before, maybe I should have never come off them.
    Had it like that for years. Also smoked alot of weed at the time. Then i had enough. Left a girlfriend i was with for years, stopped my studies in engineering. Moved to another country(Serbia, Belgrade). Came back to Denmark once in a while for a couple of months to drive a cab 12 hours a day every day three months in a row, and back to Belgrade for the rest of the year doing absolutely nothing, stopped smoking weed,got married, got a child, and moved back to Scandinavia.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #1617  
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8,441
    ...
    Last edited by GrottonRed; 9-8-17 at 10:20. Reason: no need
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #1618  
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    15,976
    ...
    Last edited by GrottonRed; 9-8-17 at 10:21. Reason: quotes deleted post.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #1619  
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8,441
    ...
    Last edited by GrottonRed; 9-8-17 at 10:21. Reason: give it a rest
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #1620  
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    15,976
    ...
    Last edited by GrottonRed; 9-8-17 at 10:27. Reason: quotes deleted content
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •