Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression and its effects, a discussion thread

1. #1 Default Depression and its effects, a discussion thread 
    Liverpoolforme is online now First team regular
    So with the sad news that Robin Williams committed suicide, inevitably I am hearing the age old debate that suicide is selfish and a cowards way out rear it's ugly head once more, in the tabloids, on the news and just generally people I talk to.

Why is depression in this day and age still considered not a big deal? This is an illness, a disease even and should not be taken lightly. Yet the all too common opinion and reaction to suicide is that of anger and almost disdain for the person in question.

Is it because it is not a visible condition? Because so many people who do suffer with it keep it quiet and don't tell anyone?

Just a quick google of the term depression comes back with terms such as - severe, typically prolonged, feelings of despondency and dejection, despair, desolation, pessimism and many many more. Could anyone who has NEVER suffered from this ill fated illness EVER imagine feeling like this day in day out?

To simply state they should get a grip and think about their loved ones, and stop being selfish and being a coward, is to show a distinct lack of understanding of something that can/has/will kill a person.

Instead of persecuting these people we should be educating people about depression, telling them that it's okay to seek help and that it's not weak to get professional help.

We like to think we live in a civilised country and world, but the truth is at times we are far from that.

I saw this very thought provoking comment from someone on Facebook about Robin Williams which basically stated actually how incredibly unselfish Robin Williams must have been to dedicate his life to making other people happy and laugh despite not being able to make himself happy. THAT is probably the case for a lot of people who suffer from depression.

I think it's high time that we stop accepting stupid "opinions" and start educating people. Yes we live in a country where people are free to express themselves, but surely there has to be a line? We need to think how our comments, views and thoughts are effecting other people.

Thanks for reading.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Definitely the most misunderstood by the public, in the sense that there are so many people who don't believe that it is a disease - or that it hinges upon material things like getting yourself laid, finding a new hobby or simply, and worst of all, manning up.

It's also a disease that is exacerbated massively by the amount of misunderstanding that surrounds it.

Yehez is offline Rating revolutionary
    I can't help but feel immensely sad and sorry for anyone that commits suicide. I don't agree with their decision, not sure any of us could, but my reaction is always the opposite of demonizing or criticizing those who kill themselves.

I'd rather criticize the situation that got them there. How much hope did you lose to be able to hang yourself? It's sad and scary.

if two thirds of cancer patients were refused treatment there would be uproar.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ted-depression

yet this is still the normal in this country and mental health services are getting worse by the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Yehez View Post
    I can't help but feel immensely sad and sorry for anyone that commits suicide. I don't agree with their decision, not sure any of us could, but my reaction is always the opposite of demonizing or criticizing those who kill themselves.

I'd rather criticize the situation that got them there. How much hope did you lose to be able to hang yourself? It's sad and scary.
    Absolutely.

The decision is not the right one, but it's the only available option to them it seems at times. Without help and treatment, there surely must come a time in their lives when they decide enough is enough and end it all.

Very very sad, and more needs to be done by everyone.

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Rock View Post
    Definitely the most misunderstood by the public, in the sense that there are so many people who don't believe that it is a disease - or that it hinges upon material things like getting yourself laid, finding a new hobby or simply, and worst of all, manning up.

It's also a disease that is exacerbated massively by the amount of misunderstanding that surrounds it.
    Ties in with the perception that the rich and famous have everything they could ever want so why on earth would they want to kill themselves.

Because it's so misunderstood it prevents people from seeking help about it or talking about it. A lot of people with depression and mental health issues just suffer silently. There's still such a stigma associated with it. The shame some feel to admitting they suffer from depression or something similar.

Absolutely agree, Liverpoolforme. I also have been extremely disappointed by some of the comments I have read in the media and places like Facebook about Robin Williams. I can only surmise that the people who are making those comments have never been actually touched by the disease that is depression (either themselves or a close friend, relative, etc) and are completely uneducated about it.

I remember discussing a similar topic relating to Paul Gascoigne and some of the views on these forums mirrored those that we are seeing about Robin Williams. I genuinely think many people just think people who are depressed just need to 'get a grip', and that the solution is as easy as that. Obviously, it is nowhere as simple as that in general terms .. and that is without taking into account the various causes and manifestations of depression.

It is a horribly insidious disease .. and sufferers deserve and require assistance, not scorn.

Quote Originally Posted by phuzz View Post
    Because it's so misunderstood it prevents people from seeking help about it or talking about it. A lot of people with depression and mental health issues just suffer silently. There's still such a stigma associated with it. The shame some feel to admitting they suffer from depression or something similar.
    Very, very true.

It doesn't help that people who are a bit sad often describe themselves as being depressed, devaluing the diagnosis.
    Nobody ever says I'm a touch psycopathic at the moment or I'm having a bipolar period of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by grenny158 View Post
    Absolutely agree, Liverpoolforme. I also have been extremely disappointed by some of the comments I have read in the media and places like Facebook about Robin Williams. I can only surmise that the people who are making those comments have never been actually touched by the disease that is depression (either themselves or a close friend, relative, etc) and are completely uneducated about it.

I remember discussing a similar topic relating to Paul Gascoigne and some of the views on these forums mirrored those that we are seeing about Robin Williams. I genuinely think many people just think people who are depressed just need to 'get a grip', and that the solution is as easy as that. Obviously, it is nowhere as simple as that in general terms .. and that is without taking into account the various causes and manifestations of depression.

It is a horribly insidious disease .. and sufferers deserve and require assistance, not scorn.
    Yep could not have put it better myself.

It just frustrates the hell out of me, but people do not listen.

They think what they want, and the usual response is "well that's my opinion and it's not going to change, deal with it".

Why are we so *********** stubborn that in the face of reason and facts we are so unreasonable but to change our precious opinions in the face of reasoned arguments and FACTS.

I have come to the conclusion that some people are doomed, but it's people like that who are the problem.

Those who suffer bouts of anxiety and those caught in the web of depression MUST somehow be directed/guided to discuss their predicament.

This pervasive silence that exists needs to be smashed down and discussion encouraged.

TALK, TALK, TALK.

For those who suffer, suffer in silence

Quote Originally Posted by AboveUsOnlySky View Post
    Those who suffer bouts of anxiety and those caught in the web of depression MUST somehow be directed/guided to discuss their predicament.

This pervasive silence that exists needs to be smashed down and discussion encouraged.

TALK, TALK, TALK.

For those who suffer, suffer in silence
    Well said! Could not agree more.

Liverdinner is online now Posts With His Faace
    I don't really view it as a disease because I am not medically inclined, but that doesn't mean that I view it with any less seriousness.

It's awful.

Paullfc1976 is offline LFC Hall of Fame Resident
    It really is mis-understood, trust me I should know

People really do not know how fragile the human mind can be, and not everyone deals with things the same, some people expect they can deal with things in a certain way, they expect everyone to be able to have the same coping mechanism, but they need to realise the people don't. Obviously the Robin Williams is a real high profile case, people thinks " what can he depressed about, he's rich and successful", no realising that this is not everything and a severe underlying problem like depression can have a massive hold on someone.

Stay off the drugs and alcohol. Face depression sober , it then becomes a winnable battle.

geralion is online now Or a tiger they're almost as good
    Quote Originally Posted by redhoops View Post
    Stay off the drugs and alcohol. Face depression sober , it then becomes a winnable battle.
    Agreed. And learn that it is a state of mind and that mind is a state which you have sovereignty over.

geralion is online now Or a tiger they're almost as good
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverdinner View Post
    I don't really view it as a disease because I am not medically inclined, but that doesn't mean that I view it with any less seriousness.

It's awful.
    I don't think its a disease either - by calling things disease, the medical profession and more so the pharmaceutical industry gets to apply their wares. Defining it as a disease because the brain chemistry is upset is suspect - brain chemistry can be altered by meditation (for the good) butt hat is not a disease!

Quote Originally Posted by Paullfc1976 View Post

People really do not know how fragile the human mind can be, and not everyone deals with things the same, some people expect they can deal with things in a certain way, they expect everyone to be able to have the same coping mechanism, but they need to realise the people don't. Obviously the Robin Williams is a real high profile case, people thinks " what can he depressed about, he's rich and successful", no realising that this is not everything and a severe underlying problem like depression can have a massive hold on someone.
    Great comments Paul.

People should take note and listen, but some sadly only hear the sound of their own voices.

Quote Originally Posted by geralion View Post
    I don't think its a disease either - by calling things disease, the medical profession and more so the pharmaceutical industry gets to apply their wares. Defining it as a disease because the brain chemistry is upset is suspect - brain chemistry can be altered by meditation (for the good) butt hat is not a disease!
    If you do not think it is a disease, then what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolforme View Post
    Great comments Paul.

People should take note and listen, but some sadly only hear the sound of their own voices.
    Ta.

Like you said, mate: People just don't listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Paullfc1976 View Post

Yep .. this is very interesting - people equate success and wealth with good mental health for some reason (if you have lots of money, how can you be depressed .. as if money concerns and a lack of success are actually causes of depression). It is actually a very disparaging - and insulting - way to think

If you do not think it is a disease, then what is it?
    Does it matter? It's only an arbitrary classification.

Yep .. this is very interesting - people equate success and wealth with good mental health for some reason (if you have lots of money, how can you be depressed .. as if money concerns and a lack of success are actually causes of depression). It is actually a very disparaging - and insulting - way to think
    Totally, but sadly it's the world we live in and that's why people have made comments calling Robin Williams selfish etc.

Agreed. And learn that it is a state of mind and that mind is a state which you have sovereignty over.
    so people who are bipolar for example just aren't trying hard enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Liverdinner View Post
    Does it matter? It's only an arbitrary classification.
    It matters a lot, Liverdinner .. as many people seem to think of depression as a 'state of mind', which trivializes it and results in people having the belief that a depressed person need only 'get over it'. If those same people understood that it is a disease, they may well not be so flippant about it. As others here have said, education is key, and the terminology is part and parcel of that.

You think that all people have control over their state of mind?

I am really surprised that you think this way, geralion.

It matters a lot, Liverdinner .. as many people seem to think of depression as a 'state of mind', which trivializes it and results in people having the belief that a depressed person need only 'get over it'. If those same people understood that it is a disease, they may well not be so flippant about it. As others here have said, education is key, and the terminology is part and parcel of that.
    I wouldn't consider it trivial, but fair point mate.

cookygarcia is offline LFC Forums Moderator
    *refrains, with great difficulty, from saying too much*

Paul, I relate to your comments in many ways. Well said, to both yourself and grenny.

When it comes to people understanding depression and other mental health issues, the sheer ignorance that apparently still persists in this day and age makes me extremely angry.

I'd best stop here.
    Sangria FTW.