Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lallana

Quote Originally Posted by noeyedear View Post
    That's almost certainly the case. Bit of clever play now and again but little real substance there. Plays in pockets, no great pace. Inflated fee paid. Might get the odd decent game from him but he's nowhere near what you would call a top 4 player.

One or two decent seasons for Soton and we took the bait.
    100% agree.

Said it before, if only we'd chucked the same 45m for Lovren and Lallana at Southampton but had gotten Schneiderlein and Clyne instead. Would have overpaid but they would have fit us pretty much perfectly, so it wouldn't have been an actual waste of money.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Eckley View Post
    For me he's a wonderful player, technically he is brilliant, very close control, can pass, dribble, finish and works exceptionally hard. I'd have him in the middle, but we have many options... I would like to see in some games Can behind Hendo and Adam, just to see how it may work.

I think he's too useful to use sparingly and personally, I think he is much, much more consistent than Coutinho, as brilliant as the magician is on his day.

The frustrating thing is, we have so many options, and yet, we're failing to make them work thus far.

Can
    Hendo - Lallana
    Sterling
    Sturridge - Balotelli

Gerrard
    Can - Lallana
    Sterling - Sturridge - Coutinho

Henderson - Can
    Markovic - Lallana - Sterling
    Sturridge
    A few have him playing that deeper midfield role as you have in your first team line ups.

I've yet to see him play there and have doubts he could.

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    A few have him playing that deeper midfield role as you have in your first team line ups.

I've yet to see him play there and have doubts he could.
    He's played there a fair bit for Southampton I believe. He has the energy to be there also (ran 1 mile less than henderson overall last season). Put it this way, if Coutinho can do it there, he certainly can.

He needs a run of games, but Are there questions about his fitness? ... playing a good game then being out of the next squad makes no sense otherwise.

I'm getting increasingly concerned he'll be the new Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    I'm getting increasingly concerned he'll be the new Allen.
    The English Welsh Xavi?

Please God, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckley View Post
    He's played there a fair bit for Southampton I believe. He has the energy to be there also (ran 1 mile less than henderson overall last season). Put it this way, if Coutinho can do it there, he certainly can.
    Not sure he has played there to be honest. Southampton play more 4231. I wouldn't play Coutinho there either even though I rate him as a much better player than Lallana.

Quote Originally Posted by DurhamRed2011 View Post
    The English Welsh Xavi?

Please God, no.
    Classic!

Quote Originally Posted by maccaynwa2021 View Post
    Maybe something like this a sort of 4-3-2-1

---------------Gerrard---------------
    ---------Can----------Lallana--------
    ---------Sterling--Coutinho-------
    -------------Sturridge---------------

Coutinho and Lallana could change depending on what way the game is going.
    Let me fix this for you

-----------------------Lucas------Can---------

-----------Sterling---------Lallana--------Coutinho

--------------------------Sturridge------------------------

Lallana, Coutinho and Sterling can all interchange their positions, the balance behind them is also good, Lucas can sit and Can would be the box to box player.

Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    Let me fix this for you

-----------------------Lucas------Can---------

-----------Sterling---------Lallana--------Coutinho

--------------------------Sturridge------------------------

Lallana, Coutinho and Sterling can all interchange their positions, the balance behind them is also good, Lucas can sit and Can would be the box to box player.
    What about the 'need' to have 2 up front grudge?

What about the 'need' to have 2 up front grudge?
    Balotelli needs a partner not Sturridge, if we wanted to play two strikers you could take your pick of anyone of the three to leave out and have Balotelli in the number 10 role.

Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    Balotelli needs a partner not Sturridge, if we wanted to play two strikers you could take your pick of anyone of the three to leave out and have Balotelli in the number 10 role.
    Sturridge basically needs a partner too. Not as much as Mario does, but he's far better with one than not.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    Sturridge basically needs a partner too. Not as much as Mario does, but he's far better with one than not.
    This, let's not pretend we played brilliant football with sturridge up top alone last season.

Effective but 1-0 is never a safe scoreline.

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Cant see a place where Lallana gets a start in the first 11.

If we played 4231 then left hand side of the 3 behind the striker. I know a fair few would have him in ahead of Coutinho but personally I never would.
    I'm of a similar view, how to fit him into the side, I've said previously I fear our midfield lacks enough goals to support a single striker and I don't like the idea of Markovic, Lallana and Coutinho all in the side at the same time, but whatever the manager's reasoning and intention behind signing Markovic and Lallana, you'd think it would be more evident than bit part and inconsistent use

Then again hasn't the manager shown signs of signing players and not using them - Assaidi, Ilori, Sakho, Alberto, Markovic and Origi. There are factors re Sakho, but Rodgers seems to sign a lot of players, either loan a few out or not use them when we pay (in most of those cases) more money than we can afford to not be utilising.

Can he/we really bemoan a lack of squad depth when the manager loans 1-3 out a season and doesn't use other players?!?!?! He finds the players he thinks he can do a job and then runs them into the ground, this season perhaps not yet finding the "do a job" starters but spot the similarity in trends

After 11 league games

2013/14 : 11 apps x4, 7-9 apps x7
    2014/15 : 11 apps x5, 7-9 apps x7

Granted this season Lambert is in there with 9 apps and only 1 of them starts, but then last season Sterling was the same but with 7 apps not 9. I'm sure when Sturridge returns that he, Balotelli and Sterling will feature a lot, possibly chalk up somewhere near 95 league apps between them like last season but with Suarez instead of Balotelli - they're on 23 so far, a bit off the pace but Sturridge has missed 8 games
    People will believe what they want to believe

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post
    Lallana is a decent squaddie (bought for insane money).

He showed it against WBA, great goal. Like I said in the other thread, games against lower half teams are his level.

Against the top teams, no chance.
    prob right

Paid too much for him to just sit on the bench, same thing as with Lovren. You have to find a place for him. I defo would love to see him get a run of game but in a central position instead of a wide position.

Quote Originally Posted by EdgarThePeaceful View Post
    Paid too much for him to just sit on the bench, same thing as with Lovren. You have to find a place for him. I defo would love to see him get a run of game but in a central position instead of a wide position.
    On the left of the midfield diamond I think would be good.
    Nothing is impossible whilst it's still possible..........

If we played 4231 then left hand side of the 3 behind the striker. I know a fair few would have him in ahead of Coutinho but personally I never would.
    Good point Robert. Coutiniho plays quick balls a lot now since he's picked up pace to the Prem. Only quick, mentally sharp players will benefit from his passes. Lallana is a different player, likes playing it easy, good at protecting the ball in control and a good shot. Without Daniel, Sterling or Borini, Coutiniho has difficulty finding that pass and maybe has to be brave and go past the defence himself. He's got the guile and pace to do it.........Two different types of players, but both are good at delivering a ball or a cross, which I believe Stevie-G should pass onto them.

MacedonianRed is offline Academy prospect

He is very versatile, so he can start at several positions in several systems ...

Quote Originally Posted by RedTrilogy View Post
    On the left of the midfield diamond I think would be good.
    That would work defo, and it is my preferred midfield formation. Balo and Sturridge up top with Sterling behind in the tip of the diamond. Can and Lallana in the midfield 2 with Gerrard behind them. Moreno and Manquillo will provide the width needed.

That would work defo, and it is my preferred midfield formation. Balo and Sturridge up top with Sterling behind in the tip of the diamond. Can and Lallana in the midfield 2 with Gerrard behind them. Moreno and Manquillo will provide the width needed.
    Yes, I think it gets the best out of our squad.
    Nothing is impossible whilst it's still possible..........

Could be a good option as Gerrard is man-marked now. Can could give him that protection and Lallana free to grab the loose balls.

Lallana all huff and puff I'm afraid we paid 13 million too much. He tries but his end product is nonexistent And constantly gives away silly fouls in attack and defence. Not good enough I'm afraid should of gone for konoplyanka or shaqiri a lot better players.

Shocking how this lad escapes criticism.

Not LFC standard.

25 million must be having a laugh

Seen faster snails.

MacedonianRed is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by agger doo doo doo View Post
    Lallana all huff and puff I'm afraid we paid 13 million too much. He tries but his end product is nonexistent And constantly gives away silly fouls in attack and defence. Not good enough I'm afraid should of gone for konoplyanka or shaqiri a lot better players.
    Lallana has scored 9 goals and has recorded 8 assists in the Premier League last season, so he was rightfully chosen in the PL team of the season ... We might debate until the hell freezes over if paying 23 million for him was too much, but as an English international at the age of 26 his price was always to be a bit higher ... Now, I would be delighted if some our fans can show a bit of support for the players wearing the red shirt of LFC, but it seems that I am asking a bit too much ...

Quote Originally Posted by MacedonianRed View Post
    Lallana has scored 9 goals and has recorded 8 assists in the Premier League last season, so he was rightfully chosen in the PL team of the season ... We might debate until the hell freezes over if paying 23 million for him was too much, but as an English international at the age of 26 his price was always to be a bit higher ... Now, I would be delighted if some our fans can show a bit of support for the players wearing the red shirt of LFC, but it seems that I am asking a bit too much ...
    I support all our players but I am a realist when someone is not good enough I point it out, if someBody is overpriced I point it out if someone is a bargain then I point it out. I don't think , like you that everybody who wears the liverpool shirt is great.

Lallana last year was a good player in an average team I would of expected him to of got more assists in the amount of games he played but that was last season I am talking about this season and he has left an average club for a top club and is not at the level required, he may try his heart out and we can support him as much as you like but he was overpriced and not up to the standard that we require to compete for the league and the CL. We have shot ourselves in the foot by not going for a couple of other targets who would be a better option and capable of competing at a top level I.e shaqiri etc

Quote Originally Posted by Curtiz View Post
    Shocking how this lad escapes criticism.

Not LFC standard.

25 million must be having a laugh

Seen faster snails.
    Has more league goals this season than Ballotelli.

You mad?

I think he is a really good attacking player, quite versatile too, I am struggling to see why we paid so much for him though, I think he is best in the position that PHIL and Sterling frequent, therefor I dont see him getting in the first team very often.

Quote Originally Posted by rayvonuk View Post
    I think he is a really good attacking player, quite versatile too, I am struggling to see why we paid so much for him though, I think he is best in the position that PHIL and Sterling frequent, therefor I dont see him getting in the first team very often.
    I would drop Henderson and start Lallana every single time. I do agree that his best position is that one you just mentioned, but playing behind either Coutinho or Sterling is still and intriguing possibility.

Buying Lallana as a squad player is fine. Buying Lallana to be part of our starting XI and help replace Suarez was a mistake. I thought so at the time we bought him and nothing has really changed my mind.

I'm not even going to talk about whether or not we overpaid for him. I'm concerned more with the fact we bought him as a starter and he simply isn't good enough to be in the starting XI of any team with real ambition.

Vesku225 is online now Under-20 2015 and World Cup 2014 Sweepstakes Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RossMosh View Post
    Buying Lallana as a squad player is fine. Buying Lallana to be part of our starting XI and help replace Suarez was a mistake. I thought so at the time we bought him and nothing has really changed my mind.

I'm not even going to talk about whether or not we overpaid for him. I'm concerned more with the fact we bought him as a starter and he simply isn't good enough to be in the starting XI of any team with real ambition.
    I wouldnt expect him to be great when the whole team struggles to figure out how to play well together including manager big time. However he has been injured, runs a lot both ways, defends can play in tight spaces, different positions, attack.Yes, we could argue about the price but we have been spending odd 6-7 mill here and there.. let the guy figure out with rest of the team how they should be playing and let him have a few games with team mates. I believe he will come good.. I'm still happy getting him.

Also would like to see stats how often he and other players loses posession on opposition half.