Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The importance of Lucas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemer View Post
    Never late to respond, I hope.

First, you'd be amazed at amount of people thinking a new CB alone will fix the defense, I guess you just don't pay attention. When asked who they'd bring, most omitt to mention a defensive midfielder, some (you included) think not even a first choice leftback may be needed.

The rest of your post suggests you didn't even bother to read my post, you just entered your typical jester mode.
    I think I was clear enough to highlight that I (me) would be happy to have Lucas around here, but that I am fully aware it is ultimatively Klopp's decision to make, not ours. I think I was also clear enough to say it might be a ball-winning or a playmaking type of DM, which again depends on Klopp.
    What I did suggest, though, is that we bring someone who is quality and more natural in playing that deeper position, rather than relying solely on converted box-to-box midfielders like we currently do - as much as they look OK-eish.

I've read the other day your hypothesis on coaching and that it takes you only that far as good the player is. The topic was started around our GK coach, but you took the example on Suarez and how his effectiveness was uncoachable. Same can be applied to our DM situation too, really. The defensive positioning and marking, tackling, progressive recycling of the ball ... you can only partially coach that into Henderson and Can to fit into that role, but a quality natural player will simply excel.
    Our opinions may differ, but one of my priorities would be to bring a quality DM like he had in Bender at Dortmund. I believe it is important role, or an option at least, as seen in recent games with Lucas. Now, watching our transfer rumors, with Ox or Keita being linked (not suggesting they are definite ones) ... they don't fit that midfielder profile, at all.
    i think three top clss signing for those three positions nd karius reinstted and our prime defensive issues are sorted ... however the dm must also be able to link swiftly to ttack and be very comfy in possesion... and there are a number of players out there that suit that mould... babayoko at monaco keita at leipzig....nd others.... we haven had a strong designated defensive midfield option in years....

a top class left bakc like kolasinic who is on a free and a top centre back like koulibaly or howedes or tah and i think we are in business....total cost to fix the defense 50 million ish...

aswell as milner had done at left back he doesnt favour getting to the endline , a top class left back would.... that would make a difference to our attacking play

then add 2 attacking options to the squad esp for wider areas and thats my summer business done....total cost 40-50 million

gonna take about 100 million to sort this team out in my estimation
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    I wrote a piece about Lucas a few years back discussing what works for Lucas and why. He's a player with limited passing ability. He can be accurate but very slow and simple passing. It's actually more effective for a counter attacking game when the opposition push men forward and you recover possession and use the space.

This was often why Lucas played better in big games for us. There was also another reason. Space. Lucas is a slow footballer. The more expansive you play, the more space you create around him he's an accident waiting to happen. Fouls, beaten with ease it just doesn't work.

However if you condense the space around him, this allows him to utilise his strong anticipation. For example I said under Rodgers he'd lose the importance he'd developed under Kenny and Hodgson to a degree. Hodgson played defensively and compact with two holding and that is ideal for Lucas.

His best form was under Kenny partnered with Spearing, two holding players again. A stand out exception under Rodgers was the game against Spurs away. Lucas absolutely wasn't great in that much but much more effective because Spurs played 3 centre mids, we played 3 centre mids and that's 6 players with no space in the middle of the park.

With no width and our full backs being pushed forward Lucas now finds himself with less space around him with Can and Wijnaldum close by. He's nowhere near the list of best holding players even for defensive skills. Most of our players are not the best in the world.

He needs specific conditions to bring the best out of him and it is usually in more defensive styles. As soon as we want to play expansive football he has neither the pace to cover nor the technical ability or passing intelligence to run a game from deep.

We have had just a couple of title challenges in the past decade and both came as a result of Lucas not starting. A viable option for the squad, a great servant but no possibility he could take the club forward as a starter.
    Fabulous post ....the club now needs to bring in the players to suit Klopp and LFC , not LFC play to suit individual players unless your Messi or Ronaldo who could adapt anyway .

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    i think three top clss signing for those three positions nd karius reinstted and our prime defensive issues are sorted ... however the dm must also be able to link swiftly to ttack and be very comfy in possesion... and there are a number of players out there that suit that mould... babayoko at monaco keita at leipzig....nd others.... we haven had a strong designated defensive midfield option in years....

a top class left bakc like kolasinic who is on a free and a top centre back like koulibaly or howedes or tah and i think we are in business....total cost to fix the defense 50 million ish...

aswell as milner had done at left back he doesnt favour getting to the endline , a top class left back would.... that would make a difference to our attacking play

then add 2 attacking options to the squad esp for wider areas and thats my summer business done....total cost 40-50 million

gonna take about 100 million to sort this team out in my estimation
    I think it woud be little above 100 mil mark, but I do agree with you overall. Five players is probably what we should be looking into: CB, LB, DM, CM/CAM & a Winger.

Not sure I'd class Keita a DM (for me, he's more of a goalscoring box-to-box), but Bakayoko is a decent shout. However, the DM gameplay can be different - either as deeplying playmaker (like we wanted from Dahoud, and transformed Henderson into) or a destroyer type (such as Lucas, but who is lacking pace to be efficient enough). I can understand both roles and why Klopp would look into. Personally, if we sell Lucas, I'd want a physical sweeper type but either way - I'd just want someone who is quality and natural in that position, not another converted experiment.

I can understand if there's no other solution available, but no sane person would be cheering this idea for next season. I am really not fan of conversions; Brendan had those gaffs too. How would anyone expect a team with Lucas as converted CB, Milner as converted LB, Hendo/Can as converted DM is solid and good enough to challenge for it? Too many uncomfortable figures is just too much of a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemer View Post
    I think it woud be little above 100 mil mark, but I do agree with you overall. Five players is probably what we should be looking into: CB, LB, DM, CM/CAM & a Winger.

Not sure I'd class Keita a DM (for me, he's more of a goalscoring box-to-box), but Bakayoko is a decent shout. However, the DM gameplay can be different - either as deeplying playmaker (like we wanted from Dahoud, and transformed Henderson into) or a destroyer type (such as Lucas, but who is lacking pace to be efficient enough). I can understand both roles and why Klopp would look into. Personally, if we sell Lucas, I'd want a physical sweeper type but either way - I'd just want someone who is quality and natural in that position, not another converted experiment.

I can understand if there's no other solution available, but no sane person would be cheering this idea for next season. I am really not fan of conversions; Brendan had those gaffs too. How would anyone expect a team with Lucas as converted CB, Milner as converted LB, Hendo/Can as converted DM is solid and good enough to challenge for it? Too many uncomfortable figures is just too much of a risk.
    bbayoko can do both roles as def midfielder, his distribution is quite good along with his tackling.... and he d add aerial power in offense and defense

I cannot see us signing five first team players, I think it will be a couple of first team players and a few more ifs that might come good one day and make the grade.

Coach791 is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewy3958 View Post
    Fabulous post ....the club now needs to bring in the players to suit Klopp and LFC , not LFC play to suit individual players unless your Messi or Ronaldo who could adapt anyway .
    Thanks Lewy. There's a tendency from fans (myself included) so simply assess everything on ability. We all want quality but there is an intensity and tactical intelligence you need to play a Klopp system. When Klopp has a squad of 20 players he can select from with the qualities he wants things will significantly improve.

It will be interesting to see which young players develop as well. Some may surprise us if they adapt to Klopp's plan better than we imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    Thanks Lewy. There's a tendency from fans (myself included) so simply assess everything on ability. We all want quality but there is an intensity and tactical intelligence you need to play a Klopp system. When Klopp has a squad of 20 players he can select from with the qualities he wants things will significantly improve.

It will be interesting to see which young players develop as well. Some may surprise us if they adapt to Klopp's plan better than we imagine.
    It'd be interesting to see those young players now before the summer. What happened to Kevin Stewart f.ex.? Also.. Spearing had miserable time paired up with lucas, like most other young midfielders, cause he constantly put them under pressure with his passing. It's just beyond me why some people refuse to see past his boastful Echo articles. What's he on? 80k/w? and he doesn't complain? with his amazing skill set and physical attributes? he must be a true legend..

Warten Auf 19 is online now Another New User Name
    Lucas certainly has great importance. He gives the opposition a clear weakness to exploit.
    "Let the ball all the work do." - Jurgen Klopp. 22/07/2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Warten Auf 19 View Post
    Lucas certainly has great importance. He gives the opposition a clear weakness to exploit.
    Yeah, players just ran through our midfield. But certainly, if anything, today must've been an eyeopener for some posters - a young and athletic DM is a must, because the defensive line is crap.

Nice to see Lucas honoured for years at Anfield last night
    https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/0...rs-merseyside/

I didn't think lucas was involved enough in our attack wasn't able to play the passes forward like he was the last 2 matches prior.

Lucas is very good....for the opponent.
    To be fair, he sometime is good for us too, but not nearly enough for him to have stuck around for sooo long.

When he leaves, we won't have much trouble replacing him, lets just put it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by DaShanks View Post
    Lucas is very good....for the opponent.
    To be fair, he sometime is good for us too, but not nearly enough for him to have stuck around for sooo long.

When he leaves, we won't have much trouble replacing him, lets just put it that way.
    no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by moujik View Post
    It'd be interesting to see those young players now before the summer. What happened to Kevin Stewart f.ex.? Also.. Spearing had miserable time paired up with lucas, like most other young midfielders, cause he constantly put them under pressure with his passing. It's just beyond me why some people refuse to see past his boastful Echo articles. What's he on? 80k/w? and he doesn't complain? with his amazing skill set and physical attributes? he must be a true legend..
    They had a dinner for him at Anfield last night for the 10 years service , when i look back at players i want to see what they won in their time here ....that alone tells you how successful they were .

What im not interested in ....is how much of a nice lad they are , winners have that inbuilt streak that separates them from the pack ......being a nice lad does nothing for this club ....period .

I truly hope Lucas finally accepts his time here is over , but i have thoughts that Klopp doesnt want to be the one to end his time here ....... and may even give him a new 2 to 3 year contract

Quote Originally Posted by Lewy3958 View Post
    They had a dinner for him at Anfield last night for the 10 years service , when i look back at players i want to see what they won in their time here ....that alone tells you how successful they were .

What im not interested in ....is how much of a nice lad they are , winners have that inbuilt streak that separates them from the pack ......being a nice lad does nothing for this club ....period .

I truly hope Lucas finally accepts his time here is over , but i have thoughts that Klopp doesnt want to be the one to end his time here ....... and may even give him a new 2 to 3 year contract
    We need to expand the squad some to deal with the extra fixtures next year. Letting him leave just adds one more spot we need to fill with a new face or unproven youth. If he's happy to stay as a deep cover/cup player for a season or two I can see Klopp being happy to have him. One less hole to fill since we already have a good half dozen before departures are considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    We need to expand the squad some to deal with the extra fixtures next year. Letting him leave just adds one more spot we need to fill with a new face or unproven youth. If he's happy to stay as a deep cover/cup player for a season or two I can see Klopp being happy to have him. One less hole to fill since we already have a good half dozen before departures are considered.
    Yes but the guy cant run ....so why keep a guy that is immobile , yes he can sit at the back all day knocking 10 yard passes left and right ......but the so called Gengenpressen and quick movement is were he falls down .

Rather have fit youngsters who are hungry to make a name for themselves
    Last edited by Lewy3958; 26-4-17 at 10:18.

Lucas is very important player.

Lucas needs to leave...he's been a good servant to the club but it's time

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Is the stat I just read right...

Lucas has more assists in the past 5 games than Pogba does all season? And more than Mata, Mkhyterian (sp)?

I'm looking this up.

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Ok, it's not entirely true. Lucas has 3 assist in the last 5 games.

Pogba has 4 total(3 in the league), Mata has 3(2 in the league) total, and Henrik has 1 total.

But still... not bad for a slow, 30 year old DM.

raybarnes is online now Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebeastyboy View Post
    Lucas needs to leave...he's been a good servant to the club but it's time
    Lucas is decent back up his recent form has been really good
    Last edited by raybarnes; 2-5-17 at 13:46.

That dive. LOL

We should keep him at Anfield for the cup and some European games next season.

I love Lucas Leiva.

Regardless of what you may think of him every new manager we have had since he was signed has found a use for him and hasn't felt he is surplus to requirements.

He has three assists in his last five and scored the winner in a cup tie earlier in the season. 30 yard screamer and Testimonial are due. He deserves both.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormac78 View Post
    I love Lucas Leiva.

Regardless of what you may think of him every new manager we have had since he was signed has found a use for him and hasn't felt he is surplus to requirements.

He has three assists in his last five and scored the winner in a cup tie earlier in the season. 30 yard screamer and Testimonial are due. He deserves both.
    +1

What bugs me more than anything, is the rediculous abuse he gets. You'd think he was a Neville brother judging by some peoples comments on here.

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Ok, it's not entirely true. Lucas has 3 assist in the last 5 games.

Pogba has 4 total(3 in the league), Mata has 3(2 in the league) total, and Henrik has 1 total.

But still... not bad for a slow, 30 year old DM.
    He's actually better going forward than people give him credit for. That ball to Can yesterday was excellent. Don't forget he started as a box to box midfielder.

Showed his importance again yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed View Post
    He's actually better going forward than people give him credit for. That ball to Can yesterday was excellent. Don't forget he started as a box to box midfielder.
    the vast majority of his chips end up with opposition, they're not even 50/50 balls, they go straight to the opposition with no chance for us to get at them, which tells me it was a lucky one.. and how much did Can have to do?
    how hard is it to just chip the ball towards the penalty area? the opposition put no pressure on him, they want HIM to attempt these passes by design.
    The sooner the spell is broken, and he's shipped to gremio, the sooner we'll start getting some fluency back.

Will he be gone in the Summer? Is his contract up?

We need to put all sentiment aside and let him leave this summer, time to make space for some of our youngsters.

Lucas>Pogba