Notices
Closed Thread

Thread: Great article about Mignolet's return to form.

1. #1 Default Great article about Mignolet's return to form. 
    Liverpool

Fiancee’s wise words help Liverpool’s Simon Mignolet reclaim best form

Drawing a distinction between his character and the flash, impulsive Premier League stereotype is important to Simon Mignolet. “I am not the sort of person who will wake up and go and buy myself a Ferrari,” he stresses when, in truth, no explanation is required. Forget his degree in political science or fluency in four languages, Mignolet has set himself apart by requesting this interview. A highly unusual move. He wants to discuss the flaws that prompted Brendan Rodgers to drop him and Bruce Grobbelaar to ridicule him. He wants to credit his fiancee with the recovery that has followed. Liverpool’s goalkeeper does not need a Ferrari to stand outfrom the crowd.

This season has necessitated self-analysis by the Belgium international. In December he was dropped for “an indefinite period” by the*Liverpool*manager after a run of form that spread anxiety through an already uncertain defence. Rodgers highlighted Mignolet’s kicking as a particular concern, and Crystal Palace can testify to that.
    Liverpool’s FA Cup fifth-round opponents scored after the 26-year-old conceded a throw-in from a routine free-kick in November. Ludogorets prospered from another error three days later.

“A hard road back” was Tim Howard’s assessment of his Merseyside rival’s predicament, the Everton keeper adding: “When you get taken out of the team, sometimes there’s no way back.” But Mignolet is back, producing vital saves from Seamus Coleman and Erik Lamela to maintain Liverpool’s push for Champions League qualification in his last two outings and preserving as many clean sheets in his last five Premier League matches – four – as in 21 appearances from the start of the campaign. Boxing Day proved the turning point – but not when he reclaimed the jersey against Burnley from the injured Brad Jones. It arrived later that night when Mignolet’s fiancee, Jasmien, broached the subject of a back pass he had allowed to run out of play when attempting to clear his lines at Turf Moor.

The Liverpool keeper explains: “I played half-decent, came for some crosses, but what happened in that game changed a lot of what’s happened since. It was in the first half when I got closed down on a back pass. It was Boxing Day, my family were over here, and my missus and everyone were having dinner when she said: ‘Simon, are you sometimes over-thinking stuff?’

“Those were her words. I didn’t really give a response at the time. She knows when to speak to me about football and when to leave me alone. The next day I went into training and as we were analysing the game the coaching staff gave me the same words.

“That was the trigger in my mind that we had to say ‘Look, we have to sort this out’. Jasmien comes to every single game and follows it. We’ve been together since before I was a footballer and she knows me better than anyone, my character, that’s why she said it.

“She knows in my private life I am not the sort of person who will wake up and go and buy myself a Ferrari, which some people might do. I am maybe over the top in that sense. It comes from my education, how I have been brought up by my parents. I have always tended to over-think things and that had come into my game. That’s good in certain moments but not when you have to make a quick decision.

“I was basically thinking too much over what was best to do and losing time rather than playing my natural game. I was always looking to find the best possible solution in situations, the right player to pass to, thinking ‘you could do this, you could do that,’ and was forgetting what was the worst solution, like giving away the corner at Burnley. So I made the decision that rather than thinking too much I would be more decisive and commanding and ever since then it has gone very well.”

Mignolet consulted John Achterberg, Liverpool’s goalkeeping coach, the head of performance, Glen Driscoll, and the sports psychologist Dr Steve Peters over the tweaks needed to rediscover the form that prompted Rodgers to pay Sunderland £9m for him in 2013. “He came into the picture to help me do certain things before a game,” says the keeper of Peters’ involvement.

“It has helped me especially on high balls coming into the box, on crosses, making a split decision coming out of the box, clearing balls and back passes. There are some things that are going better than before.”

When it was bad, and the 3-1 league defeat at Selhurst Park marked the nadir for Rodgers’ team this season, the goalkeepers’ union did not show much solidarity. While Howard criticised Mignolet’s demotion, Grobbelaar dipped into the book of crap 1980s football jokes to compare the Liverpool goalkeeper’s problem with crosses to Dracula. Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher faulted Mignolet for Phil Jagielka’s stupendous equaliser in September’s Merseyside derby at Anfield. Liverpool’s No1 will always stop to answer questions after a game regardless of the criticism that might be coming his way but he refused to bite back. It is not in his nature.

“I did not want to speak up too early because I am not one who likes to speak,” he explains. “I wanted to wait for a few performances to talk about it and I think this moment is right to speak up. I am my own biggest critic. After every game I analyse my performance with the goalkeeping coach in a very critical manner. There is certain criticism you will take on board and other things that do not affect you. You cannot look too far into that because it can destruct you in a certain way.”

Grobbelaar’s criticism was personal, vindictive even, but Mignolet harbours no resentment towards his Anfield predecessor. “I would shake his hand if I met him,” he insists. “I appreciate him for what he has done for this club and I respect him for the major trophies he won for Liverpool.”

Whatever strides Mignolet has made recently, he knows he will be judged only on Saturday’s performance at Palace and must constantly prove himself at Liverpool. Rodgers is sure to sign a new goalkeeper this summer.

“I relish being under that pressure,” he says. “I remember playing in front of 500 people in the second division in Belgium and I prefer to play under the pressure of a Champions League game against Real Madrid at Anfield.”

As for Jasmien, will her Boxing Day advice result in a special gift this Valentine’s Day?

“You can put this as the headline,” jokes Mignolet: “She gets a Valentine every day".

Didn't realise he was a smart cookie.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

And i see Dr Steve Peters is still around.

Ok, so this thread didn't attract much attention and I'm finding myself bumping it, which is a bit self -indulgent, but i do want to say 'good on you Migs, you're looking like a top class goalie and if your missus has helped you, then that's the way it should be'. Behind every great man there's a great woman.

Quote Originally Posted by webb68 View Post
    Ok, so this thread didn't attract much attention and I'm finding myself bumping it, which is a bit self -indulgent, but i do want to say 'good on you Migs, you're looking like a top class goalie and if your missus has helped you, then that's the way it should be'. Behind every great man there's a great woman.
    I posted it in the Migs thread earlier, that might be playing a part..

so this all translates to me that his girlfriend is making him feel like a godking invincible

well done jasmien

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    so this all translates to me that his girlfriend is making him feel like a godking invincible

well done jasmien
    God almighty, I bet the long winter nights fly by round at your gaff!

But well done indeed if his improvement various on like this.
    Last edited by webb68; 15-2-15 at 10:42.

So Simon Mignolet deserves a bit of credit for his recent upturn in form.

Think it's fair to say he's had a mixed time at Liverpool over his 174 games, and this whole situation between him and Karius has been bizarre to say the least.

But he's definitely working on various parts of his game, and seems to have improved in the last couple of months. Having Karius must spur him on right now.

Do you think Karius (23) and Mignolet (29) are enough for us over the next few years?

Quote Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post
    So Simon Mignolet deserves a bit of credit for his recent upturn in form.

Think it's fair to say he's had a mixed time at Liverpool over his 174 games, and this whole situation between him and Karius has been bizarre to say the least.

But he's definitely working on various parts of his game, and seems to have improved in the last couple of months. Having Karius must spur him on right now.

Do you think Karius (23) and Mignolet (29) are enough for us over the next few years?
    Klopp does apparently. From the Guardian:>

Jürgen Klopp rules out signing Joe Hart: ‘Liverpool have highest-quality keepers’

Andy Hunter
    Thursday 20 April 2017 07.54 EDT Last modified on Thursday 20 April 2017 09.29 EDT
    Jürgen Klopp has ruled out a summer move for Joe Hart and said he is content with the goalkeeping options at Anfield.

Liverpool have been strongly linked with the England international, who is on loan at Torino having lost his Manchester City place under Pep Guardiola.

While Simon Mignolet has been in impressive form during Liverpool’s pursuit of Champions League qualification, his long-term hold on the No1 spot remains uncertain and Loris Karius is vying for the position. Klopp confirmed the 23-year-old German was his first choice earlier in the season only to drop the former Mainz goalkeeper after 10 Premier League appearances.

The Liverpool manager said Hart is not an upgrade on his senior keepers and will not be heading to Anfield this summer. He said: “You ask about goalkeepers but you don’t say the name. Is it about Joe Hart? We don’t usually talk about these sort of things but in this particular case I think we can. He is a fantastic goalkeeper, the goalkeeper of the English national team, highest quality, but we have highest-quality goalkeepers. It is not for us in this moment and hopefully not in the future – not because of Joe but because we already have two strong goalkeepers.

“Danny Ward is at Huddersfield and playing a brilliant season. He is our player so we will bring him back so there is competition. The young ones have made really big steps, Caoimhin Kelleher and Kamil Grabara, and that is really good. I understand the question but I cannot give the answer probably a few people want but we think about it all the time.”

Liverpool have several defensive problems for Sunday’s home game against Crystal Palace. Joël Matip, Ragnar Klavan and Lucas Leiva have been unable to train this week owing to injuries. Matip and Lucas have muscle problems, while Klavan has a slight medial ligament injury. Joe Gomez is in contention for his first Premier League appearance of the season.

Adam Lallana and Jordan Henderson will also miss the Palace game and Klopp has cast doubt over the latter’s availability for the remainder of the season. Henderson has been out since 11 February with a foot injury and unlike Lallana, who is expected to return to full training next week, the captain is not close to a return.

Asked whether Henderson could miss the rest of the campaign, Klopp said: “I don’t know. We will have to see. He cannot really train so we have to wait for when he can. That was always the plan with the medical department. He is not patient any more, I can tell you that. He looks really healthy but nothing has changed.”

Had no idea who Caoimhin Kelleher and Kamil Grabara were - had to Google them

Yeah and this is the other wildcard: Danny Ward. He's had a (generally) impressive season at Huddersfield, with one bad patch but he's come back even stronger.

So I guess we're going to have some sort of gigantic scrum between the three keepers over the summer, and perhaps two will stay and the other goes out on loan (or gets sold).

One thing is for sure: no thanks, Joe Hart. His distribution is good but otherwise doesn't really offer an upgrade, always liked him as a character but massively overrated as a keeper.

I think both will be here next season and Karius will be nr1 again.

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseScouser View Post
    I think both will be here next season and Karius will be nr1 again.
    Maybe.

I don't think cup games would satisfy either to be honest. It might be a nice problem to have, with both pushing hard to be the number 1. Karius needs to be a regular somewhere though, so if not here then maybe a loan would benefit him.

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    mods, are you even switched on when moderating new threads? Is their not a (THIRD ie take 3) of Mignolet that this could go in? Why are you approving so many soapbox threads?!?!?

At least it has served for someone to do a sensible thing and post the Hart link dismissal post in it, they didn't need to start a new thread (well done Shed) to post said news relating to old news (keeper) Some will cry in their beer for a while, I guess at least it isn't a lost £20m income for someone we won't get £20m for instead of no outgoing £20m expenditure on a keeper we were never going to sign.....

Maybe we can now offer £20m extra for VVD or use it to pay his wages
    People will believe what they want to believe

Yeah and this is the other wildcard: Danny Ward. He's had a (generally) impressive season at Huddersfield, with one bad patch but he's come back even stronger.

So I guess we're going to have some sort of gigantic scrum between the three keepers over the summer, and perhaps two will stay and the other goes out on loan (or gets sold).

One thing is for sure: no thanks, Joe Hart. His distribution is good but otherwise doesn't really offer an upgrade, always liked him as a character but massively overrated as a keeper.
    Grabara looks like he could be boss, he looks like our best option for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    mods, are you even switched on when moderating new threads? Is their not a (THIRD ie take 3) of Mignolet that this could go in? Why are you approving so many soapbox threads?!?!?

At least it has served for someone to do a sensible thing and post the Hart link dismissal post in it, they didn't need to start a new thread (well done Shed) to post said news relating to old news (keeper) Some will cry in their beer for a while, I guess at least it isn't a lost £20m income for someone we won't get £20m for instead of no outgoing £20m expenditure on a keeper we were never going to sign.....

Maybe we can now offer £20m extra for VVD or use it to pay his wages
    This is an old thread. Maybe look at the date first?

Thank God for Achterberg......
    loyal since 1960.

Quote Originally Posted by webb68 View Post
    Liverpool

Whatever strides Mignolet has made recently, he knows he will be judged only on Saturday’s performance at Palace and must constantly prove himself at Liverpool.
    Rodgers is sure to sign a new goalkeeper this summer.
    Whoever wrote the article needs to keep up

I think it will. Imho, our defensive problems are down to things in front of them. Top quality GK are rare and too expensive anyway now.
    Me too, but glad Klopp is well informed.

Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    Whoever wrote the article needs to keep up
    It was written more than two years ago when BR was still here...

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    thread closed...use the mig thread
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.