Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I Not Vote Or Do I Vote?

Socratease is offline LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by carraforcaptain View Post
    What angel said. Anyway, are you absolutely sure that there are no would be MP's running in your area that are worth a vote? In my case, I wouldn't vote for any of the major parties, but Norman Baker (lib dem) is my MP and he's a very good, outspoken MP (who has ******** his own career more than once by going against the party line). Might be that you have a good MP even though the parties are ****. Maybe you even have a viable independent running. Anyway, it all starts with a few people voting for something new. Then support for new things can build over the years. If people just give up and don't vote, then there isn't any prospect of change in the long run.
    Good post.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

prredhouse is offline Off-Topic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by rhoscoch View Post
    It is precisely because I don't watch soaps and do follow 'current affairs' closely that I choose not to vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverdinner View Post
    Achieve's **** all and thus has no more use than not voting.

But I'd do it anyway so that I feel like I'm doing something.
    right there is the difference between a cynic and a young cynic.

the difference is that democracy has a chance to breath. For all your your anti capitalistic warbling rhoscoch thats the fear that the capitalists have. Democracy is the only voice a small man/woman has. For you not to exercise it plays into their hands. Shame on you for not expressing the will of a people.
    its a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll

Make sure you are registered to vote!

Quote Originally Posted by prredhouse View Post
    right there is the difference between a cynic and a young cynic.

the difference is that democracy has a chance to breath. For all your your anti capitalistic warbling rhoscoch thats the fear that the capitalists have. Democracy is the only voice a small man/woman has. For you not to exercise it plays into their hands. Shame on you for not expressing the will of a people.
    I'm a capitalist.

Could not agree more Socratease

Excellent program by Presented by Martin sheen on bbc2 about the Chartists now.

Will try to link it on iplayer.

Oh 38 degrees got a mention.

Would this be a useful site for those who want to check up on what their MP has been up to?

www.TheyWorkForYou.com

You are able to check to see things like their voting record, if they have received answers to their questions to ministers, the "readability" of their speeches according to the Fleish Kincaid index.

Although for those who cannot/usually don't due to the positions they hold will have qualifiers as follows.

"Government Ministers are not able to submit questions to their ministerial colleagues or the Speaker and Deputy Speakers will only vote if their is a tie between the Ayes and Nays.

It also includes which Select Committees they have had memberships. However, I wonder if the sittings missed includes times when the committee met but the MP was not a committee member at the time of those meetings.

Good post paul143.

Here is that documentary on the chartist movement.

Very apt to this discussion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...leys-rebellion

Here is that documentary on the chartist movement.

Very apt to this discussion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...leys-rebellion
    Superb post rhosoch, I studied the Chartists in Social Economics some many years ago and the right to vote for all has been a very long journey of suffering as well as triumphs along the way that many are not aware of due to it's lack of inclusion in most curriculums in education.

The Last Leg; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh6ZAymsJNo

To my mind the worst thing about democracy is that too many people take it for granted and by their inactivity they allow those who are politically active due to active interest to achieve a foothold due to a major demographic complacency. :FP:

People have suffered and died over the years to enable you and I to vote when we had no option, never mind the choice before, to be able to actually vote!

Let us get off our back sides on election day and walk down the road on election day and make our mark, our singular contribution given by many to allow us to give our opinion has been a hard fought for right - and this is recognised around the world that the mother of parliaments is based upon democracy (demos # people ~ cratia # power {Gk}) - the will of the people.

If you do not speak, you will not be heard.

Someone once wrote a song called, 'Power To The People', I think someone once named an airport after him.

Make your mark and make a difference - vote if you are concerned about the politics of your future.

If you do not make your mark you disenfranchise yourself by not voting whilst others grin at your complacency.

All the more for those that disagree with you and your vision of society.

Your mark does make a difference, your vote makes a difference as it cumulatively adds up to the democratic will/power of the people - you must/please vote!

I received this today,

Dear Subscriber/Volunteer

As HSBC bosses are dragged into parliament, accused of tax dodging on a huge scale, George Osborne is fighting their corner. He’s defended HSBC as a “very important bank” for Britain. It’s clear that the Chancellor of the Exchequer - the person in charge of our economy - doesn’t intend to tackle tax dodging. Yet. [1]
    We have a chance to expose him - in a week’s time, George Osborne will be all over the news announcing his budget. He knows that he needs to look like he has tax dodging under control. A huge petition will ruin his budget plans, and reveal exactly how much money he’s letting slip through his fingers.
    38 Degrees members have already done the hard work. Our people-powered investigation exposed a loophole designed for millionaire finance bosses that loses our country 700m a year. [2] This ‘Mayfair loophole’ would be easy for George Osborne to close, if he really wanted to.
    Can you sign the petition demanding George Osborne closes this ‘Mayfair loophole’? Every signature helps embarrass him. Click here to sign the petition:

SIGN THE PETITION

38 Degrees members exposed this scandal. Hundreds of thousands of us voted to get this campaign going. And almost 6,000 of us chipped in to fund experts and lawyers to investigate, produce an explosive report, and work out how to fix the law. [3] Now we know the truth, and it’s down to us to get this loophole closed.
    Our people-powered report proves that tackling tax avoidance isn’t rocket science. We already know what simple change to the law is needed. [4] Now, it’s a question of whose side George Osborne is on.
    With tax dodging once again back in the news, Osborne is trying to convince the public he’ll crack down on it - but so far he’s coming off badly. [5] A huge petition is the last thing he wants. Please add your name:

SIGN THE PETITION

38 Degrees members fight for fairness. It’s hard to believe that money which should be funding the NHS is going to millionaire finance bosses instead. Standing together against this Mayfair loophole will show that when it comes to tax dodging, the fight’s only just begun.

Thanks for being involved,
    Nat, Amy, Laura and the 38 Degrees team You can read the last email below:

NOTES:
    [1] Guardian: George Osborne dodges questions over HSBC's Stephen Green:
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-stephen-green
    [2] 38 Degrees report: Getting serious: how the UK government helps private equity executives to pay lower tax rates than nurses and teachers, and what could be done about it:
    https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/clos...oophole-report
    This report was funded by almost 6000 38 Degrees members, after hundreds of thousands of us voted to get the campaign going. Read the full report here (the first page gives a good summary).
    The Independent: Private equity bosses using 700m tax 'loophole' - and donating to the Tories:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-10054911.html
    Mirror: Fatcat fund managers dodge 700 million in tax every year because of loophole:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...illion-5187932
    Here's a photo of the papers featuring the mayfair loophole which 38 Degrees members have exposed:

[3] 38 Degrees blog: Mayfair loophole: Should we campaign?
    https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/loophole-poll-results
    [4] Page 13 of the 38 Degrees report gives a proposed amendment to Finance Bill 2015 - to close the mayfair loophole by taxing "carried interest" as ordinary income:
    https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/clos...oophole-report
    [5] Guardian: George Osborne under pressure from Vince Cable over HSBC scandal:
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/...r-hsbc-scandal
    Daily Mail: "I probably shouldn't be advocating this": Video of a young George Osborne advising voters how to dodge taxes unearthed:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...unearthed.html

38 Degrees is funded entirely by donations from thousands of members across the UK. Making a regular donation will mean 38 Degrees can stay independent and plan for future campaigns. Please will you chip in a few pounds a week?

Start a direct debit

Unsubscribe: If you no longer wish to be part of our movement and receive our emails you can unsubscribe here.
    This email was sent to (my email).
    38 DEGREES Registered Company No. 6642193
    Makes you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Socratease View Post
    I received this today,

Makes you think?

A fellow 38 degree member. Nice one.

grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    Make sure you are registered to vote!

Genuine question: What does it mean to "register" to vote? We have no such thing in my country so I have no understanding of this concept.

For those who are considering not voting the following methods can be used to declare your vote spoilt as well as writing they are all useless wastrels or a bunch of no-hopers. Now I appreciate for some "Voter's intention is unclear" and the method of spoilage is counter-intuitive e.g. a cross against none of the above is clear.

1. Crosses against multiple candidates (Voter's intention is unclear)
    2. Cross that goes from each corner of the sheet of paper (Voter's intention is unclear)
    3. Cross that is split equally (more or less) between two candidates (Voter's intention is unclear)
    4. Creating a none of the above box and putting a cross in there (Voter's intention is unclear)
    5. Signing it (Voter can be identified)
    6. Name and address (Voter can be identified)

Source http://www.electoralcommission.org.u...papers-WEB.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by grevsmoker View Post
    Genuine question: What does it mean to "register" to vote? We have no such thing in my country so I have no understanding of this concept.
    Grev, this is where people notifies local councils that they should be considered as eligible to vote in elections in the UK.

The following would be considered legal.

Anyone over 18 on polling day.
    A British Citizen, a Qualifying Commonwealth citizen (inc Crown dependencies and overseas territories) or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland.
    There is no legal reason why you cannot vote.

Those who cannot vote (some are exceptions to the above rules)
    Members of the House of Lords (General Election Only)
    EU Nationals (General Election only)
    Anyone who are citizens of any other nation outside those mentioned above.
    Convicted prisoners in pursuant (during) their sentences this does exclude those people in prison on remand or due non-payment of fines/maintenance etc.
    Anyone who has been convicted of election fraud.

Students are allowed to vote in either constituency but not both for every election bar the local elections when both votes would be considered voting in two different local governments.

EU nationals can vote in the UK European Election as well as their own nation they should only vote in one. However, although it is illegal, it is difficult to prove that someone has committed electoral fraud as there is no cross border checking.

Good link!

If you do not speak, you will not be heard.

Someone once wrote a song called, 'Power To The People', I think someone once named an airport after him.

Make your mark and make a difference - vote if you are concerned about the politics of your future.

If you do not make your mark you disenfranchise yourself by not voting whilst others grin at your complacency.

All the more for those that disagree with you and your vision of society.

Your mark does make a difference, your vote makes a difference as it cumulatively adds up to the democratic will/power of the people - you must/please vote!

John Lennon in New York, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtvlBS4PMF0

Power to the people!

Power to the people!

Maybe not the best person to look to when trying to get people to vote...

“I have never voted for anybody, anytime, ever,” he said. “Even at my most so-called political. I have never registered and I never will. It’s going to make a lot of people upset, but that’s too bad.”

Is Murdoch more powerful than your vote?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuS8c6zEx1Y

Whilst I accept that many are not considering to vote. For those who have yet to register only have one week left.

It can take up to 5 minutes online.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

I have voted in every general and local election since I turned 18,It is your democratic right to vote.Generations have fought for this right,if you feel that it's not worth the effort then you don't have a voice.! What really annoys me is that the first people to complain about politicians are those apathetic "cant be bothered" people who don't vote.

dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    Even though I have my apprehension about Labour's policies on economics... like continuing with Austerity ... I think prolonging a conservative government will be the biggest mistake the country would make. As said, the imposing of tax for the very richest in society.... which would exclude at least 99% of these forums and the country in general.... would resolve the issues in which 99% of the population have suffered with loss of wealth under the present Tory led coalition. So. Vote Labour.

Is Murdoch more powerful than your vote?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuS8c6zEx1Y
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dreams-come-true View Post
    Even though I have my apprehension about Labour's policies on economics... like continuing with Austerity ... I think prolonging a conservative government will be the biggest mistake the country would make. As said, the imposing of tax for the very richest in society.... which would exclude at least 99% of these forums and the country in general.... would resolve the issues in which 99% of the population have suffered with loss of wealth under the present Tory led coalition. So. Vote Labour.
    But only in a constituency where it counts. If i vote Lab in Horsham, West sussex its a waste so I might as well spoil my ballot paper. They weigh the Tory vote in horsham btw.

Power to the people!

Then he ran off and supported the IRA. Peace, my ass

Quote Originally Posted by hysen View Post
    Then he ran off and supported the IRA. Peace, my ass
    John Lennon and the IRA? Prove it please. First time I have heard of this. By the way, MI5 "evidence"? The secret service is also known for disinformation.
    Last edited by dreams-come-true; 13-4-15 at 16:17.

John Lennon and the IRA? Prove it please. First time I have heard of this. By the way, MI5 "evidence"? The secret service is also known for disinformation.
    I read an article a while back that he was actually pretty clueless about what was happening (didn't know difference between protestant and catholic) but just wanted to boost his working class hero image. His biographer (forget his name) said it was most probably true. Plenty of news outlets have carried the story over the years, just google it. I am sure you will approve of one of the sources.
    I admired Lennon until I heard all this, but I find his support of them unforgivable.

Hold on. Even if he did support the IRA...why would this indicate that he was opposed to peace?

Perhaps he viewed the IRA as the freedom fighters of an oppressed people? Perhaps he thought that if those same people were no longer oppressed, they would have no need of the fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by hysen View Post
    I read an article a while back that he was actually pretty clueless about what was happening (didn't know difference between protestant and catholic) but just wanted to boost his working class hero image. His biographer (forget his name) said it was most probably true. Plenty of news outlets have carried the story over the years, just google it. I am sure you will approve of one of the sources.
    I admired Lennon until I heard all this, but I find his support of them unforgivable.
    Many things have been "said". But not really proven. Still, I agree with rhoscoch that even if he did "support" the IRA verbally, it doesn't mean that he really did support them financially.... where there is (quick google) only circumstantial evidence.

And as to Lennon not knowing the difference between IRA and the UVA (UVF).... I very much doubt he was that ignorant.