Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do I Not Vote Or Do I Vote?

Socratease is offline LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tweepie View Post
    Because May wants a mandate for Brexit?
    Because her advisors (foolishly) believe in the polls that suggest they could demolish all opposition?
    Because, should Brexit go badly, by 2019... The political fallout felt by the Tories in a 2020 election would be devastating, but this way, it buys them a bit more time (should they win) to win back support until 2022.
    Top notch tweepie!

I think it is perverse and a badly calculated decision that this General Election is callled for after only 2 years after the last one (General Election) in a matter of weeks!

Look how right wing the States has become ~ some of our ultra right wing numb nuts in the conservitive party are jumping for joy in regard to the polls.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Socratease View Post
    Top notch tweepie!

I think it is perverse and a badly calculated decision that this General Election is callled for after only 2 years after the last one (General Election) in a matter of weeks!

Look how right wing the States has become ~ some of our ultra right wing numb nuts in the conservitive party are jumping for joy in regard to the polls.

I don't see how it's badly calculated - maybe forced. But it will take away the threat of the criminal investigations regarding expenses, probably massively increase their majority and neuter the Lords. The Tories win every which way

http://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz

I ask that everyone does this quiz so you actually know where you stand on the issues. Too many rely on the hysteria and stupid things before voting.

Quote Originally Posted by dookar View Post
    I believe everybody should vote.

However, I believe the right to choose whether or not to vote is important. I don't think I should impose my values on others.

If I choose to vote and others do not and those who represent my values hold office then those others have no right to complain.
    True dookar but if more dont vote this time the validity of May's govt (and it will be May's govt we all know that) is surely compromised. And everyone has a right to complain even if they didnt vote. To call into question someones right to participate in society or complain or protest based on whether they voted or not is a slippery slope. But then we're on that slope are we not? As Lord Hailsham once remarked (after 1983 election i think) this is an "elected dictatorship". And indeed it resembles one today with no dissent allowed. May decries those wishing to get a better deal for Britain as obstructers. those wishing parliament to have a voice as anti-democratic or in the Daily Mail's words, the "enemies of the people".

May, or should we now call her Erdogan, forgets the Brexit maj was 52 to 48 and not 75 to 25. And now with a big commons maj she will claim she can proceed without any opposition (sort of like Erdogan) more so as the fool Corbyn gave her the green light on Article 50. Fixed Parliament Act? No we just ride roughshod over that.

Lets face it this whole mess has been created and caused by the Mail/Sun/Express/Star/Telegraph. their owners want a land free of annoying employment legislation such as the Equality Act and employment protection such as perm contracts. They told their editors to write lies about the EU to that end and that is what they'll get. The majority of people that voted leave were told to vote that way by their ghastly daily rags are the poor gullible ************ who will suffer most. They'll lose their jobs, see rents and cost of living rise, watch the NHS gradually be dismantled and their kids education go down the toilet. The rich will skate over the crust of their misery and continue to do what the rich do, make money.

Quote Originally Posted by StiflerLFC View Post

I ask that everyone does this quiz so you actually know where you stand on the issues. Too many rely on the hysteria and stupid things before voting.
    Apparently i'm 76% Green.

I don't see how it's badly calculated - maybe forced. But it will take away the threat of the criminal investigations regarding expenses, probably massively increase their majority and neuter the Lords. The Tories win every which way
    But should it?

Quote Originally Posted by stiflerlfc View Post

i ask that everyone does this quiz so you actually know where you stand on the issues. Too many rely on the hysteria and stupid things before voting.
    bump 83% Labour or 82% Green
    Last edited by rhoscoch; 19-4-17 at 10:20.

Quote Originally Posted by StiflerLFC View Post

81% Labour.

63% Labour
    62% Lib-Dem
    61% Green
    57% SNP
    51% UKIP
    48% Tory
    42% Plaid Cymru
    39% Sinn Fein
    26% BNP

85% Lib Dem
    Not voted for them in years.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

I was SNP on that quiz followed closely by Labour

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    So WELSHypool I take it you will be voting for the SNP. (Although I guess a lot of the answers for the SNP will be a carbon copy for Plaid)

KoppityKloppity is online now Academy prospect
    Me too.

edit , no that's a lie, SNP was 8% ahead of everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    So WELSHypool I take it you will be voting for the SNP. (Although I guess a lot of the answers for the SNP will be a carbon copy for Plaid)
    I'm so confused now, aye I guess the equivalent is Plaid Cymru

But anyways, I'll defy this quiz and go Labour

aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    I'm so confused now, aye I guess the equivalent is Plaid Cymru

But anyways, I'll defy this quiz and go Labour
    Tbh you sholdn't be allowed to vote
    dont look back in anger.

Quote Originally Posted by KoppityKloppity View Post
    Me too.

edit , no that's a lie, SNP was 8% ahead of everyone else.
    Best get the bagpipes out son and scare the **** out of some cats!

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Tbh you sholdn't be allowed to vote

Little harmless old me?

I am certified sane now...my voices tell me

Little harmless old me?

I am certified sane now...my voices tell me
    You're Welsh, its illegal. NOt illegal to be Welsh like, well perhaps it should oh never mind
    dont look back in anger.

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    You're Welsh, its illegal. NOt illegal to be Welsh like, well perhaps it should oh never mind

I know in there somewhere you had a fabulous crowd stopping joke ayles!

The gasps, the silence, then howls of laughter.....you saw it all

I know in there somewhere you had a fabulous crowd stopping joke ayles!

The gasps, the silence, then howls of laughter.....you saw it all
    i really didnt
    dont look back in anger.

Ensure you are registered to have the opportunity to vote/not vote/intentionally spoil your vote. Deadline is 22nd May

https://www.gov.uk/browse/citizenship/voting

For general elections registered adults (18yo+) who are British, Irish or Commonwealth citizens living in the UK or British citizens living overseas who have registered in the last 15 years AND there is no legal reason they have been excluded from voting.

If you are not local to your constituency for whatever reason there are also deadlines for registering a postal vote or voting by proxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    85% Lib Dem
    Not voted for them in years.
    Thats who I got! I'll probably be voting Labour though!

Socratease is offline LFC Forums Moderator
    Because we are becoming so right wing that what we are electing, as Turkey has just done by a manufactured conceit, a dictatorship that is so anti-demographic/anti-populist that it decries and opposes any opposition.

Boo-hoo, I don't like those barstewards challenging my decisions!

Tough, because any political party in this country is accountable to it's population ~ not our population accountable to our government!

Why? Because...

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    think i have said before, but spoiled ballots are still counted as such at the end of the day, and if and when spoiled ballot numbers start climbing massively then people will be asking why.
    You say that but realistically the people that get elected on the back of an election with a lot of spoiled votes aren't going to give a damn about the spoiled votes as they won and will interpret that as lots of "would be" opposition voters spoiling their ballot, not that they lost a significant amount of votes.

This practice would only get really noticed if we were talking 20% or more spoiling their ballot, but that's never going to happen, not in a major election.

After posting realised you posted this ages ago, but my point still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Socratease View Post
    Because we are becoming so right wing that what we are electing, as Turkey has just done by a manufactured conceit, a dictatorship that is so anti-demographic/anti-populist that it decries and opposes any opposition.

Boo-hoo, I don't like those barstewards challenging my decisions!

Tough, because any political party in this country is accountable to it's population ~ not our population accountable to our government!

Why? Because...

It baffles me that what's going on in Turkey hasn't been receiving that much attention. Erdogan in a decade or so will be talked about by "the west" like the Ayatollah in Iran has been for decades. If he doesn't get assassinated by his own countrymen, that is. The Turks love a good rebellion.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulite View Post
    You say that but realistically the people that get elected on the back of an election with a lot of spoiled votes aren't going to give a damn about the spoiled votes as they won and will interpret that as lots of "would be" opposition voters spoiling their ballot, not that they lost a significant amount of votes.

This practice would only get really noticed if we were talking 20% or more spoiling their ballot, but that's never going to happen, not in a major election.

After posting realised you posted this ages ago, but my point still stands.
    What may be interesting is if someone like professor John Curtice was to receive all the voided votes and report on a national level on if we can learn anything from the rejections.

As in 2010 there was 81k votes rejected which rose to about 102k in 2015.

Source https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._of_void_votes

It may also be interesting with some of the unique marks that were accepted as I believe one person's vote went to the Conservative candidate due to a caricature of a **** and balls was drawn inside his box. With no other discernible mark it was declared as a vote for the Conservative candidate.

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    I believe everybody should vote.

However, I believe the right to choose whether or not to vote is important. I don't think I should impose my values on others.

If I choose to vote and others do not and those who represent my values hold office then those others have no right to complain.
    I believe in the right to vote for what is worth voting for in a system making it worth voting in. At present neither exists, and even those that like to think of themselves as informed and voting the direction they believe is the right way to are kidding themselves.

What makes me laugh is how many think that not voting is such a heinous crime, that believing in what they believe in is somehow going to make some kind of difference instead of just adding bulk to the votes instead of direction. It's not like voting takes place on something with an absolute right and wrong answer, as if anyone would let you vote on that. Politics is one of the plagues on society, voting in it just validates it but some can't see that. Will it make a difference to the outcome? (or election or indeed future) More than likely not, who's to say which way the non-voters will vote if forced to, it's just one big waste of time and money that makes some people feel they have some kind of influence.

Yeah we can see how much influence was carried in the Brexit vote, so many thousands come millions didn't like the outcome so cried out loud and demonstrated. Would the other side have done likewise had they not got their desired outcome? Quite possibly. It's all tribal moronics, I've yet to meet or encounter someone who is heavily into politics I've any time for at all. Some people prefer to just get on with their lives
    People will believe what they want to believe

The last time I was excited about a general election was for Tony Blair - ********** turned out to be a crook too. My vote won't count anyway as I live in a Labour area who'd probably get my vote as it is.

I'll just take the day off I think..

It'll tide me over until the Confederations Cup.