Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Joe Gomez Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Macfoley View Post
    True. Nor have the other players, yet Milner is gaining positive feedback. Benteke also is now a must start to some after scoring a great goal.

What I meant is in more settled as to what his roles are in defence. His positional play, his control and calmness on the ball. Just looks like a natural defender and more settled in a position that is not natural to him. Moreno, I do like him, don't get me wrong, hope the lad stays myself, but his positional play sometimes is questionable, he can learn those traits.

Just to me, Gomez looks good, nothing wrong with that.
    Easier to impress and relax when the outcome of the game means nothing as we have seen from a plethora of players that have come and gone without making the grade here. Not had a chance to see much of Gomez but you can only ever see what players are really about in competitive games.

I hope we don't give up on Moreno so easily. Talented player.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    I don't know what it is about football but everything has to be an extreme. Everyone is either the next messiah or they're so useless its hard to believe they can tie their shoelaces in the morning.
    Agreed. Lines drawn, trenches dug, if someone doesn't agree they're an X, Y or Z.....................

I will reserve judgement on all our signings this summer and indeed to a certain degree those last season, I mean it's not like you get a prize for being "right" if you happened to claim someone was great. Well actually I would say anyone saying they'd predicted someone would be awesome etc I think is a prize plank for bragging, be worse if they'd concluded it from pre-season performances!

End of the day doesn't matter what any of us think will happen, how good or bad someone is, what does happen is what counts.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by -Seamus- View Post
    Ilori and Gomez would be nice to see in some cup competitions and the early stages of the EL. Very unlikely though.
    Yes, that would be great to see, more likely they'd play alongside experience of Toure for example but they do both have immense potential.

6'2" at 18 and still growing. This lad needs to be taken care off and hopefully doesn't rush into too many tackles or picks up injuries. I think playing him on the left is a very wise move this year, it'll help him become a proper CB. He adds an unpredictable element to our game when he goes forward and cuts inside or passes the ball infield. Something different to Moreno and Hendo, Can or Milner will thrive on that aspect of his game

hope he doesnt mess up against stoke, people have turned him into top player from a few good pre season performances, completely different to the BPL

Quote Originally Posted by KennyKing View Post
    Yes, that would be great to see, more likely they'd play alongside experience of Toure for example but they do both have immense potential.
    Agreed.. I hope they get adequate game time this season to get used to the set up and the preferred way of playing.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    Its relevant because Gomez has played a couple of games for us against Thailand and Australian sides and already people are saying he is better than a Europa League winning Spanish international.

Just like when Aspas scored a few goals preseason and all of a sudden he was an amazing buy and was going to "easily bang in 15 goals this season".

I don't want him to start against Stoke, I'd rather he slowly be eased in, getting game time off the bench in a few games as he settles and gets used to being in a top Premier League squad with a lot of pressure on it. The worst thing Rodgers could do would be start him against Stoke, with what happened at the end of last season; there is huge pressure first game of the season and a mistake or two, a bad game, could completely ruin his confidence.
    A europa league winning spanish international that was dreadful the majority of last season..

Some people don't need to be eased in. Gomez looks composed and sounds mature for his age, im sure Brendan will have spoke to him and got a feel of how he thinks he will cope with it.

For me I won't complain if JG starts and I won't complain if AM starts.. but Gomez earned his chance and I don't see a reason not to give it to him.. if we were playing chelsea it would be a different matter

Quote Originally Posted by cjoneslfc View Post
    hope he doesnt mess up against stoke, people have turned him into top player from a few good pre season performances, completely different to the BPL
    I'd be surprised to see him start against Stoke, but then again with that extra bit of height, you never know.

Well done to Gomez for the England Captaincy.

Hope he's here for the next 10 years!

Gomez is getting better and better. His defending is still naive, but that's to be expected at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanBro View Post
    Gomez is getting better and better. His defending is still naive, but that's to be expected at this stage.
    Did pretty well last time around, was somewhat surprised to see him start even. Still not a big fan of his, not that I am of many players

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post

Great stuff, congrats to him. That'll do wonders for his development too.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post

Couldn't agree more. I believe he shades TAA at the moment and Sundays performance was really encouraging. I know JK will be really pleased for Joe.
    loyal since 1960.

Presumably this U21 team is largely the same U20 squad that won the WC this summer?

If so, it's even more impressive that despite missing that tournament - essentially to concentrate on recovering from injury for his club (sustained while on international duty) - he's still been seen as the man for the job.

Well done Joe.

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Did pretty well last time around, was somewhat surprised to see him start even. Still not a big fan of his, not that I am of many players
    he had a few worrying lapses in concentration and a few silly errors in pre season but lets hope this was new to the starting 11 jitters

This man is now extremely important for our season, I have faith that he will shine. He has the attributes to become a very powerful defender indeed.

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaneomax View Post
    This man is now extremely important for our season, I have faith that he will shine. He has the attributes to become a very powerful defender indeed.
    he is i would worry about how it could go for him if he s forced to partner lovren if lovren is in a patch when he is committing lots of errors. could destroy gomez to play alongside him.

I can see Gomez making a very good right back, not so sure as a centre back.

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    Where ever he is called on to play i am sure he is only going to get better as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    he is i would worry about how it could go for him if he s forced to partner lovren if lovren is in a patch when he is committing lots of errors. could destroy gomez to play alongside him.
    Do you think the Club has a problem at CB this season?

Quote Originally Posted by trinired View Post
    Where ever he is called on to play i am sure he is only going to get better as a player.
    yeah agree with that hopefully he is quick to learn and could be competition at centre back

Quote Originally Posted by Home_and_Away View Post
    Do you think the Club has a problem at CB this season?
    Absolutely. As it stands we're basically depending on Matip & Lovren to be able to play 40+ matches. I just don't see it happening without them burning out or getting injured...

It is an important season so giving him chances at CB during it will be risky at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    It is an important season so giving him chances at CB during it will be risky at the very least.
    Risky maybe, but it looks like we're going to have to.

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    Risky maybe, but it looks like we're going to have to.
    1st choice matip + Lovren.
    2nd, klavan + Gomez
    3rd, can + Jones
    4th, Milner + Masterson.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    1st choice matip + Lovren.
    2nd, klavan + Gomez
    3rd, can + Jones
    4th, Milner + Masterson.
    Milner and can can play in a back three with wing back if it ever gets that bad with injuries a suspensions

Warten Auf 19 is online now Another New User Name
    Sell Clyne to the highest bidder next summer, should pay for our next big signing. Gomez looks solid as a rock and Arnold should be England's number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Warten Auf 19 View Post
    Sell Clyne to the highest bidder next summer, should pay for our next big signing. Gomez looks solid as a rock and Arnold should be England's number 1.
    We need clyne even if it was backup, no point reducing the squad

Quote Originally Posted by don0124lfc View Post
    Milner and can can play in a back three with wing back if it ever gets that bad with injuries a suspensions
    Good grief, let's hope it doesn't then.

Warten Auf 19 is online now Another New User Name
    Quote Originally Posted by don0124lfc View Post
    We need clyne even if it was backup, no point reducing the squad
    So far Gomez looks better at RB than CB though. Do you see that changing?