Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Joe Gomez Thread

1. #1 Default The Joe Gomez Thread 
    I couldn't find a thread on him, and figured there may be something to say about him over the next while..
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

which is his best position , its difficult to tell. he has great composure and speed with acceleration. he is solid defensively.Offers little less than moreno going forward.

Really impressed with what I have seen so far. Hopefully he can be properly blooded into the team this year but he looks a real prospect. Welcome to Anfield Gomez!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarthak kesar View Post
    which is his best position , its difficult to tell. he has great composure and speed with acceleration. he is solid defensively.Offers little less than moreno going forward.
    That is not even an issue with the amount of attacking flare we currently have, he looks a better defender than Moreno and that is a massive plus.

Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    That is not even an issue with the amount of attacking flare we currently have, he looks a better defender than Moreno and that is a massive plus.
    agreed but i thought left footed moreno could provide more width

agreed but i thought left footed moreno could provide more width
    I agree he can provide more width, but we have to remember defending comes first. We let in 49 goals last season in the league and 50 before that under Rodgers, so maybe our priorities need to change a little.

I feel like Joe Gomez could be our new Carragher after his performances so far :'D

Lets wait and see how he goes playing against actual opposition first. We've seen it time and time again, lumping huge amounts of pressure on a young guy and then when he doesn't perform he'll be labelled useless and a waste of money and should be sold.

Moreno has been capped for Spain, won a Europa League with Sevilla, and has 3 years top flight football behind him. He has struggled but who didn't last year? Everyone admits that we have engrained faults in our defensive system so will someone else fare better?

Saying a 19yo who put in a performance against some Thai all-star team is already a better defender is doing a massive disservice to both players.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    Lets wait and see how he goes playing against actual opposition first. We've seen it time and time again, lumping huge amounts of pressure on a young guy and then when he doesn't perform he'll be labelled useless and a waste of money and should be sold.

Moreno has been capped for Spain, won a Europa League with Sevilla, and has 3 years top flight football behind him. He has struggled but who didn't last year? Everyone admits that we have engrained faults in our defensive system so will someone else fare better?

Saying a 19yo who put in a performance against some Thai all-star team is already a better defender is doing a massive disservice to both players.
    I'm looking forward to seeing Gomez play, certainly, but I do agree that perhaps we are writing Moreno off too early. He had some really horrible performances that is undeniable, but there were also several games in which he looked very good, and his natural speed and aggression are still valuable assets.

I hope Moreno has a great season and we see more of that Sevilla form.

I was probably also one of the few who stayed a big fan of Riise and Johnson, though, so maybe I just have a soft spot - and unnatural patience and tolerance - for rampaging fullbacks.

Read the interview with him - still cant believe he is 18! I can see him fighting for a starting place but my word at 18!! What is he going to be at 25???!!!
    The voices that speak to me are red...

Quote Originally Posted by Nevinn View Post
    Read the interview with him - still cant believe he is 18! I can see him fighting for a starting place but my word at 18!! What is he going to be at 25???!!!
    Seven years older.

(is there a prize, Nev?)

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Already looks more settled than Moreno if I might say. And Gomez has only been at the club for 5 minutes.
    Last edited by MacFoley'1975; 5-8-15 at 11:24.

I hope he starts against Stoke. Looks a much better prospect than Moreno.

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Seven years older.

(is there a prize, Nev?)
    yeah an EPL trophy in our cabinet ....
    The voices that speak to me are red...

Quote Originally Posted by Nevinn View Post
    yeah an EPL trophy in our cabinet ....
    Lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    Yeah, we have been caught out alot last season and this could really put a stop to alot of counter attack goals we conceded. Good luck to him this season.

+Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    At 6'2 you would like to think of him being at CB, is it too early for him to be playing there?

Quote Originally Posted by Macfoley View Post
    Already looks more settled than Moreno if I might say. And Gomez has only been at the club for 5 minutes.
    He hasn't played a single competitive game yet.

His versatility is very reminiscent of our last: one-club man turned Sky Sports pundit. That's where the similarities end for me but like the aforementioned legend I think Joe's best position will be centre-back and as he develops; hopefully he'll be one of the young defenders we get it right with as I was intrigued by him at Charlton last year and excited by us signing him now. If he gets his head down, continues to learn, develop and improve I can see him being the heart of Liverpool and England's defence.

Quote Originally Posted by *Shriekback* View Post
    At 6'2 you would like to think of him being at CB, is it too early for him to be playing there?
    Ilori and Gomez would be nice to see in some cup competitions and the early stages of the EL. Very unlikely though.

Remember when Aspas was banging them in for fun preseason?

I couldn't give a rats arse what Gomez does attacking wise. From what I've seen in pre-season is that he holds his position way better than Moreno does. If we want an attacking outlet from the full-back area, then that's on the right side. Clyne gets beaten by nobody and when going forward is like an express train and tackles like a centre-back.

Remember when Aspas was banging them in for fun preseason?
    thats similar how?

I seem to recall good things said about Piechnik and/or another CB around the time, that didn't last. People seem keen to heap praise on players who've yet to actually do anything yet, I'm all for being positive but a fair bit seems to be OTT eg Benteke will succeed because of a goal on debut in a friendly
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by LW94 View Post
    thats similar how?
    Probably just observing that pre-season should not be taken as an indicator of how someone will fare in actual-season
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by LW94 View Post
    thats similar how?
    Its relevant because Gomez has played a couple of games for us against Thailand and Australian sides and already people are saying he is better than a Europa League winning Spanish international.

Just like when Aspas scored a few goals preseason and all of a sudden he was an amazing buy and was going to "easily bang in 15 goals this season".

I don't want him to start against Stoke, I'd rather he slowly be eased in, getting game time off the bench in a few games as he settles and gets used to being in a top Premier League squad with a lot of pressure on it. The worst thing Rodgers could do would be start him against Stoke, with what happened at the end of last season; there is huge pressure first game of the season and a mistake or two, a bad game, could completely ruin his confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    I seem to recall good things said about Piechnik and/or another CB around the time, that didn't last. People seem keen to heap praise on players who've yet to actually do anything yet, I'm all for being positive but a fair bit seems to be OTT eg Benteke will succeed because of a goal on debut in a friendly
    I don't know what it is about football but everything has to be an extreme. Everyone is either the next messiah or they're so useless its hard to believe they can tie their shoelaces in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Probably just observing that pre-season should not be taken as an indicator of how someone will fare in actual-season
    Its an indicator but obviously it has to be taken with a pinch of salt as the oppositions are weaker. Im looking forward to seeing him play. He's deserved his chance.

MacedonianRed is offline Academy prospect
    Joe Gomez is a very talented kid who could have a great future at LFC, but if Rodgers sees him as a starting fullback at LFC this season, we are in a lot of trouble ...

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
    He hasn't played a single competitive game yet.
    True. Nor have the other players, yet Milner is gaining positive feedback. Benteke also is now a must start to some after scoring a great goal.

What I meant is in more settled as to what his roles are in defence. His positional play, his control and calmness on the ball. Just looks like a natural defender and more settled in a position that is not natural to him. Moreno, I do like him, don't get me wrong, hope the lad stays myself, but his positional play sometimes is questionable, he can learn those traits.

Just to me, Gomez looks good, nothing wrong with that.