Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 158

Thread: Cameron Brannagan

  1. #121  
    fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    42,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Campos View Post
    Different players. Both very good and Brannagan has done enough to be included, IMO.
    dunno why brannagan wasnt involved last night
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #122  
    liverpool19734 is offline Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    10,853
    Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    dunno why brannagan wasnt involved last night
    We have a lot of options, i don't think he is better than Ejaria or Grujic at present.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #123  
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    26,072
    Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    dunno why brannagan wasnt involved last night
    Iam searching for him as well,wondering what happened.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #124  
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,591
    Just seen that he's joined Oxford for an undisclosed fee (anyone know what the rumoured price was?). He looked a neat and tidy ball playing midfielder, but like most youngsters who played for us 15/16 he just fell out of favour.

    Best wishes for his future, Oxford play decent enough football to compliment his talents so hope he does well.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #125  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    28,719
    Quote Originally Posted by L4Sensation View Post
    Just seen that he's joined Oxford for an undisclosed fee (anyone know what the rumoured price was?). He looked a neat and tidy ball playing midfielder, but like most youngsters who played for us 15/16 he just fell out of favour.

    Best wishes for his future, Oxford play decent enough football to compliment his talents so hope he does well.
    He has been on the edge of leaving for a while.... everyone just say undisc
    http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/158...rom_Liverpool/

    As you said good luck in the future and at Oxford
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #126  
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,710
    Branagan to Oxford, Kent to Bristol City. Is this a reality type check for the club? Meaning, is this the appropriate level for at least two players for whom big things especially Branagan, unless te piece about Barca was a total beat up was expected? The fee for Branagan was pitiful by today's standards.
    loyal since 1960.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #127  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    17,831
    Quote Originally Posted by mountbeautygeorge View Post
    Branagan to Oxford, Kent to Bristol City. Is this a reality type check for the club? Meaning, is this the appropriate level for at least two players for whom big things especially Branagan, unless te piece about Barca was a total beat up was expected? The fee for Branagan was pitiful by today's standards.
    Have any youth players from the last 5 years who were released gone onto do well elsewhere? Or were they simply not good enough for top tier football?

    Certainly makes you wonder about how effective the youth system is.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #128  
    Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    18,718
    Quote Originally Posted by mountbeautygeorge View Post
    Branagan to Oxford, Kent to Bristol City. Is this a reality type check for the club? Meaning, is this the appropriate level for at least two players for whom big things especially Branagan, unless te piece about Barca was a total beat up was expected? The fee for Branagan was pitiful by today's standards.
    Virtue is gone or going on loan too I can't remember where .
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #129  
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,710
    Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    Have any youth players from the last 5 years who were released gone onto do well elsewhere? Or were they simply not good enough for top tier football?

    Certainly makes you wonder about how effective the youth system is.
    Re. your last line Topper, that's what I was trying to get at, without having multi posters rubbishing me. We all realise that not all who come through the Academy are going to be stars, but I really do get depressed at what our Academy end product is.
    loyal since 1960.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #130  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    17,831
    Quote Originally Posted by mountbeautygeorge View Post
    Re. your last line Topper, that's what I was trying to get at, without having multi posters rubbishing me. We all realise that not all who come through the Academy are going to be stars, but I really do get depressed at what our Academy end product is.
    Even the likes of Woodburn, who look so talented, will he get a chance here?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #131  
    davevietnam is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    11,143
    Quote Originally Posted by mountbeautygeorge View Post
    Re. your last line Topper, that's what I was trying to get at, without having multi posters rubbishing me. We all realise that not all who come through the Academy are going to be stars, but I really do get depressed at what our Academy end product is.
    Have you seen that BT Film 'No Hunger In Paradise', it was on again last night and no doubt will be re-shown often, very interesting.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #132  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    17,831
    Quote Originally Posted by davevietnam View Post
    Have you seen that BT Film 'No Hunger In Paradise', it was on again last night and no doubt will be re-shown often, very interesting.
    Whatís it about?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #133  
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    Virtue is gone or going on loan too I can't remember where .
    Virtue and Whelan have gone on loan. No doubt the likes of Ward, Grujic, Ejaria, Wilson and Woodburn will follow, might deplete our U23 team somewhat but first team football at decent EFL teams will be just as good.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #134  
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,252
    Quote Originally Posted by mountbeautygeorge View Post
    Re. your last line Topper, that's what I was trying to get at, without having multi posters rubbishing me. We all realise that not all who come through the Academy are going to be stars, but I really do get depressed at what our Academy end product is.
    Sterling and ibe although both were bought were part of the youth system for some time before being sold on for good money.

    Same goes for Brad smith.

    If Woodburn does not make it here, we should get a decent fee for him.

    Trent will likely make it here and become a big player.

    Ideally a few local boys playing for the first team would be great though.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #135  
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    26,004
    Quote Originally Posted by L4Sensation View Post
    Virtue and Whelan have gone on loan. No doubt the likes of Ward, Grujic, Ejaria, Wilson and Woodburn will follow, might deplete our U23 team somewhat but first team football at decent EFL teams will be just as good.
    Can you remember who was the last player to go out on loan and apparently benefit from the experience by pushing into the first team squad?

    The players I recall pushing into the first team squad from the youth system didn't go out on loan.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #136  
    davevietnam is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    11,143
    Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    What’s it about?
    Academy football, trying to become a pro or more importantly why so many dont make it etc, some pretty good and thoughtful interviews with Stevie Wenger and surprisingly Joey Barton, it sort of go's into how some kids are just used as fodder to make up numbers and the gap between the Acadamy and PL, problems with too much to young, its well worth a watch and quite surprising.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #137  
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    26,004
    Quote Originally Posted by davevietnam View Post
    Academy football, trying to become a pro or more importantly why so many dont make it etc, some pretty good and thoughtful interviews with Stevie Wenger and surprisingly Joey Barton, it sort of go's into how some kids are just used as fodder to make up numbers and the gap between the Acadamy and PL, problems with too much to young, its well worth a watch and quite surprising.
    Youth systems are a platform created to hopefully bring 1 or 2 players through to either make the first team or sell for profit. The majority just make up the numbers and that's always been the case.

    Typically, annually, not even 1 or 2 make the grade at the club they're at.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #138  
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    25,977
    Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    Youth systems are a platform created to hopefully bring 1 or 2 players through to either make the first team or sell for profit. The majority just make up the numbers and that's always been the case.

    Typically, annually, not even 1 or 2 make the grade at the club they're at.
    This.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #139  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    17,831
    Quote Originally Posted by davevietnam View Post
    Academy football, trying to become a pro or more importantly why so many dont make it etc, some pretty good and thoughtful interviews with Stevie Wenger and surprisingly Joey Barton, it sort of go's into how some kids are just used as fodder to make up numbers and the gap between the Acadamy and PL, problems with too much to young, its well worth a watch and quite surprising.
    Sounds good, nice one.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #140  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    17,831
    Quote Originally Posted by FSG-VanBasten View Post
    Sterling and ibe although both were bought were part of the youth system for some time before being sold on for good money.

    Same goes for Brad smith.

    If Woodburn does not make it here, we should get a decent fee for him.

    Trent will likely make it here and become a big player.

    Ideally a few local boys playing for the first team would be great though.
    Both were imported from other youth systems for considerable fees (for their age).
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #141  
    GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    25,222
    Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    Youth systems are a platform created to hopefully bring 1 or 2 players through to either make the first team or sell for profit. The majority just make up the numbers and that's always been the case.

    Typically, annually, not even 1 or 2 make the grade at the club they're at.
    True...and we do have a very good programme to help the ones who don't make it find other clubs and make sure the lads get a good education if their career path lies outside football.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #142  
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,591
    Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    Can you remember who was the last player to go out on loan and apparently benefit from the experience by pushing into the first team squad?

    The players I recall pushing into the first team squad from the youth system didn't go out on loan.
    Ibe was probably the last player to do so. He was doing well at Derby and was recalled early to then play a role in our first team (second half of 14/15). His performances in that time led people to believe he would automatically replace Sterling.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #143  
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    26,004
    Quote Originally Posted by L4Sensation View Post
    Ibe was probably the last player to do so. He was doing well at Derby and was recalled early to then play a role in our first team (second half of 14/15). His performances in that time led people to believe he would automatically replace Sterling.
    And he was signed at 16 and played in the first team before going out on loan.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #144  
    WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    33,938
    Another promising young player who just fades into the background before moving on to a lower league. I can see Woodburn, Ejaria and Wilson going the same way, especially Wilson with the absolute lack of opportunities he's had.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #145  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    21,024
    Quote Originally Posted by L4Sensation View Post
    Ibe was probably the last player to do so. He was doing well at Derby and was recalled early to then play a role in our first team (second half of 14/15). His performances in that time led people to believe he would automatically replace Sterling.
    The theory of loaning a player out so he comes back "first team ready" is flawed, so few come back and make more than 50 league apps - even Ibe fell short of that figure and it's not a massive number of apps at a time we were not exactly pushing for league titles (only 1 league app in 13/14)

    You could look at how many of the current squad have gone out on loan and the number of league apps they have, would be a lot easier and perhaps more reflective of current situations. Ward went out on loan, doesn't make the bench in the league and is pushing on towards 25 (June) Flanagan chalked up 40 league apps, did go out on loan after quite a few of those, may have had no future here even before he assaulted his GF, people are still discussing Markovic from time to time to confirm where he is exactly (! ), Grujic is not yet making massive inroads into the first team and I'd be debating whether a loan or not playing much for the first team were the better option if someone like Woodburn who hasn't been out on loan.

    He'll be 19 in October so still young but the lack of opportunities must seem like a shut door and as with any player perhaps the important thing for them and their development is to be playing reasonably regularly at the right level (for their development), and so many of these loans go downwards in leagues, those youngsters we've had in the past like Gerrard, Fowler, Owen, McManaman, and Carragher were breaking into the first team and fairly quickly established by the ages some of the younger ones here are hitting.



    It is very hard, to push by multimillion pound footballers into the first team, especially when we're striving to finish top 4 and a youngster will carry an element of risk which may explain some of Klopp's selections (at times if not ongoing), whether he is any more of a risk than say a Moreno or a Mignolet is a matter of opinion.
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #146  
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    26,004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    The theory of loaning a player out so he comes back "first team ready" is flawed, so few come back and make more than 50 league apps - even Ibe fell short of that figure and it's not a massive number of apps at a time we were not exactly pushing for league titles (only 1 league app in 13/14)

    You could look at how many of the current squad have gone out on loan and the number of league apps they have, would be a lot easier and perhaps more reflective of current situations. Ward went out on loan, doesn't make the bench in the league and is pushing on towards 25 (June) Flanagan chalked up 40 league apps, did go out on loan after quite a few of those, may have had no future here even before he assaulted his GF, people are still discussing Markovic from time to time to confirm where he is exactly (! ), Grujic is not yet making massive inroads into the first team and I'd be debating whether a loan or not playing much for the first team were the better option if someone like Woodburn who hasn't been out on loan.

    He'll be 19 in October so still young but the lack of opportunities must seem like a shut door and as with any player perhaps the important thing for them and their development is to be playing reasonably regularly at the right level (for their development), and so many of these loans go downwards in leagues, those youngsters we've had in the past like Gerrard, Fowler, Owen, McManaman, and Carragher were breaking into the first team and fairly quickly established by the ages some of the younger ones here are hitting.



    It is very hard, to push by multimillion pound footballers into the first team, especially when we're striving to finish top 4 and a youngster will carry an element of risk which may explain some of Klopp's selections (at times if not ongoing), whether he is any more of a risk than say a Moreno or a Mignolet is a matter of opinion.
    There is more evidence to suggest that if they're sent out on loan, they're not wanted, than there is to suggest they're being sent out to develop.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #147  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    17,831
    Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    There is more evidence to suggest that if they're sent out on loan, they're not wanted, than there is to suggest they're being sent out to develop.
    Itís like a death sentence instead of a pathway to the first team.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #148  
    GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    25,222
    Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    It’s like a death sentence instead of a pathway to the first team.
    It has been in the past...no doubt.

    But Klopp will have his own ideas on how he uses the loan system, now he has seen how poor the competitions are, for youth teams in this country.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #149  
    Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    18,718
    Coady doing well for Wolves playing CB and captain, a couple of premier clubs showing interest Newcastle and Stoke.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #150  
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    26,004
    Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    It’s like a death sentence instead of a pathway to the first team.
    It is. I think if you're a young player sent out on loan it's time to turn your focus away from Liverpool and concentrate on where/how you can build your career elsewhere.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •