Notices
Reply to Thread

Thread: Berry Nieuwenhuys - Better than Matthews?..and other articles about LFC legends.

1. #1 Crest Berry Nieuwenhuys - Better than Matthews?..and other articles about LFC legends. 
    Mod Edit:
    Just so these pieces about our past players (and managers) don't get lost, I've copied them into here.
    So far we have
    • Berry Nieuwenhuys -Better than Matthews?

• Beardsley Peter Beardsley - Geordie Genius!

• Thommo Stand up Pinocchio!!

• Uncle Bob - Our greatest manager - "The" greatest manager ever?

• What could we give Carra for his birthday -A job!

I'll keep adding them every so often. Thanks to pablored1962 for the contributions- tweeps

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this to be a very interesting read - "Nivvy" seemed to have a god given talent for sport!
    Not the first name to run off your lips when thinking of "great" LFC players but I think he must be one of the best foreign players judging by this and a real character.
    Whatever - read and enjoy.

Berry Nieuwenhuys
    Birthdate: 5 November 1911
    Birthplace: Kroonstad, South Africa
    Date of death: 12 June 1984
    Other clubs: Boksburg, Germiston Callies; Arsenal, West Ham United (wartime guest)
    Bought from: Germiston Callies
    Signed for LFC: 11.09.1933
    Liverpool debut: 23.09.1933
    Last appearance: 01.02.1947
    Debut goal: 30.09.1933
    Last goal: 26.12.1946
    Contract expiry: 1947
    Win ratio: 36.19% W: 93 D: 64 L: 100
    Games/goals ratio: 3.25
    Honours: League Championship 1946/47
    Wartime games/goals: 136 / 64
    LFC league games/goals: 236 / 74
    Total LFC games/goals: 257 / 79

"I rate him as being without superior, and I am not excluding Stanley Matthews. He is much more the direct and effective player; a goal-getter and a goal-provider." A football writer on Berry Nieuwenhuys.

Nieuwenhuys was born on 5 November 1911 in Kroonstad in the Free State, and after completing his schooling at Bethlehem went to work in the mines in the Transvaal. A keen and natural sportsman, his first love was rugby, but he soon switched to the round ball game. Imagine this. You’re a relative youngster playing a minor club game of football in South Africa when a man dashes onto the field during a lull in play and asks if you’d like to play for Liverpool. You wonder if he’s for real, but, of course, accept. A few weeks later, on the other side of the world, you are playing in front of 50,000 plus screaming spectators at Anfield. It sounds like something out of Boys Own magazine or the Beano annual, but that’s just what happened to Berry Nieuwenhuys in 1933. Eight years earlier another young South African player, Arthur Riley, had gone across to England to keep goal for Liverpool Football Club. His English-born father still lived in South Africa, where he keenly followed the sport. Having been impressed by Nieuwenhuys and another player, Lance Carr, he contacted the management at Liverpool and told them that he’d found a couple of “likely lads” in South Africa. The Brits told him to go ahead and hire them. That was the way people did business in those days – no agents, no contracts, no fat commissions; just a shake of the hand.
    The eager Nieuwenhuys and Carr arrived in England on 11 September 1933 and were met on the quayside by Walter Cartwright and George Patterson, Liverpool Football Club’s Chairman and Secretary/manager respectively. After one warm-up game in a junior side Nieuwenhuys was named for the senior side to play against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane on 23 September. The Evening Express headlines told it all. “A gem from South Africa” they trumpeted. “Nivvy’s triumph in first big match for Liverpool. Home defeat for Spurs after 2 years." The English had trouble with his full name and immediately shortened it to something more handy; "Nivvy" as "the typewriter won't stand the strain of spelling his name in full." The South African had battled with a wet ball and unfamiliar slippery grass at the Lane in the first half, but in the second he gained confidence and set up two brilliant goals for his new club. Nivvy's second game was no less than a Merseyside derby at Anfield. He opened the scoring after roughly half an hour's play in a "cool and calculating manner" in the best derby for 30 years according to the Evening Express. The local papers were full of praise for the newcomer: “'Nivvy' afterwards showed that he has the big game temperament, but he has more – the ability. He moved about smoothly, employed touches of the master craftsman, and his centres were ever thoughtful. He certainly captured the fancy of the 'Koppites'. He is neatness personified. By no means an individualist, he adopts the easiest path, making some delightful short passes along the ground to his inside partner and next turning over a choice centre. “Nivvy” is anything but flashy, but he has a wonderful turn of speed."

Nieuwenhuys was interviewed by the Evening Express following the game and he was thrilled to have taken part in "the greatest match in which I have ever had the honour to play." "Never before had I seen such a vast crowd, such brilliant football, or such clean football, and it was the thrill of my life when I managed to score the first goal. The point which struck me most was the cleanliness of the game. When we were leaving for England we were told that the game here was rough and dirty. Well, I can assure you that this match was 100 per cent cleaner that anything I have seen in Africa. I did not see one real foul in the entire ninety minutes. I confess I was rather staggered by the size of the crowd at the start but I did my best to forget they were there. That was hard in view of the continuous roar of voices. Still you could play in front of a crowd like that for years. They are such sportsmen. I thank them for the encouragement they gave me and also for the wonderful reception I was accorded when I left the field. I don't mind confessing it touched me."
    "It's Our Nivvy, our British Nivvy", the Liverpool fans sung, convinced that their favourite should play for England, and numerous football writers declared the fleet-footed player to be the best winger in the land. Not only was Nivvy a brilliant right-wing, but he could fit into any position without effort, being one of a select few to play in nine different positions in top-level football. The two positions he never filled – left-wing and goalkeeper – he was quietly confident would not pose a problem if the need arose. But it was not to be. The rules stated that for a player from the Commonwealth to represent England his father had to have been born in the UK, as in the instance of Gordon Hodgson, and this was not the case with Nivvy. The debate was, however, shortened by the unwelcome arrival of Hitler in Poland in September 1939. During the war years Nivvy served as a PT instructor with the Royal Air Force, captaining the RAF side and still managed to play numerous games for Liverpool. Footballers usually represented the clubs nearest the camps where they were based and Nivvy played for West Ham in the early 40's and Arsenal in 1945/46.

One thing that didn’t come with the fame was the obscene wealth associated with modern football. After Nivvy had given Liverpool five years’ staunch service, the club rewarded him with a benefit match against Everton from which he received the princely sum of £658. During the war things were even less rewarding – players were paid with sweets and cigarettes. Nivvy, a lifelong teetotaller and non-smoker, used to hang onto his sweets and swap his cigarettes for even more delicacies. When hostilities ceased Nivvy and his Liverpool teammates travelled to the USA to promote the game in that country. They played ten games and won all ten, with 70 goals for and just ten against, in front of a total in the excess of 100,000 spectators. The players’ earnings? Just £6 per game and a £2 bonus for each match they won – a gross earning of £80 per player for the trip.
    Nivvy turned 35 in the first post-war season, 1946/47. He played the first seven games of the campaign and then featured again in eight in the middle of the successful season in which Liverpool triumphed in the First Division. He retired from football in 1948, returning to South Africa to take up a position as assistant coach to golf legend Bobby Locke. In 1946 Nivvy had entered the British Open after hurrying back from Liverpool's tour of the USA, and missed the cut by just two strokes. That same year he played in the Irish Open, figuring amongst the money winners, and during the last years of his football career he doubled as assistant coach at the West Derby Golf Club. He moved for a spell to Rhodesia and then returned to Johannesburg to work as a golf pro while coaching various premier league soccer teams, including Southern Suburbs and his old club, Germiston Callies. Nivvy was also a very talented tennis player. King Gustav VI of Sweden once sent an aircraft to the UK to fetch the South African for a knock-up on the royal courts. Nivvy also scouted for talent in England as was reported by the Daily Mirror in July 1959: "Instant suspension faces any Soccer stars accepting offers from a South African agent, who plans a talent swoop in Britain. In a warning letter to the clubs the FA have revealed that the agent is Berry “Nivvy” Nieuwenhuys, former Liverpool winger, who now coaches in Johannesburg. Acting for the Transvaal Professional League – a newly formed rebel outfit not affiliated to the South African FA – Nieuwenhuys will approach players here with big money contracts, a job outside football and free passage to South Africa. But stern action faces any who accept. They would be blacklisted automatically by the FA, and any body associated to FIFA, the international controllers."

The South African sporting hero passed away in Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa in 1984. He led an eventful life filled with the greatest wonder, the biggest of which was moving from his homeland to the hustle and bustle of the English game. “Just think. In South Africa we only get three or four thousand – we did have 25,000 for a cup final – and then to find 55,000!" Nivvy said astounded following his Merseyside debut. “I find it is no easy thing to carry on for 90 minutes at top pace and must say that the second half always seem twice as long as the first. Training, however, will soon get me right and soon I shall no longer silently pray for the sound of the final whistle. A reception such as I received might easily 'turn one's head' but I don't think there is any danger of that. I was once a rugby player and then when I turned over to soccer and joined Germiston I played in only four matches before being chosen for the Transvaal. I did so well in that game that I s****ed a bit but our trainer gave me such a telling off that I broke down and cried. No more swollen heads for me!“

once again - all info from lfchistory.net - with thanks
    Last edited by tweepie; 29-1-16 at 22:03.
    The Long and Winding Road
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

tweepie is offline LFC Forums Moderator
    Copied from a thread posted in FD.

An interesting read.
    YNWA

Watching the World Cup in 86 we saw a genius born and all, at our house anyway, were hoping there was a Red shirt waiting at the airport with his name on!
    Lallana would do well to watch/study Beardsley - hard work and contributing to the team - then adding some magic - scoring and assisting!

Just for you Adam! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q0X6-RsrmY

Watching this one will make you cry after yesterday! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY3cJwsRttY

A truly gifted player - one of our best and god only knows why Souness sold him - to the Bitters!!

Peter Beardsley
    Birthdate: 18 January 1961
    Birthplace: Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Other clubs: Carlisle United (1977-81), Vancouver Whitecaps (1981-82), Carlisle United (loan 1981-82), Manchester United (1982-83), Vancouver Whitecaps (2 / 1983), Newcastle United (1983-87), Everton (1991-93), Newcastle United (2 / 1993-97), Bolton Wanderers (1997-98), Manchester City (loan 1998), Fulham (1998), Hartlepool United (1998-99), Melbourne Knights (1999)
    Bought from: Newcastle United
    Signed for LFC: £1.9m, 14.07.1987
    International debut: 29.01.1986 vs. Egypt
    International caps: 59/9 (34/6 at LFC) - 23.05.1996
    Liverpool debut: 15.08.1987
    Last appearance: 11.05.1991
    Debut goal: 29.08.1987
    Last goal: 20.02.1991
    Contract expiry: 05.08.1991
    Win ratio: 60.57% W: 106 D: 43 L: 26
    Games/goals ratio: 2.97
    Honours: League Championship 1987/88, 1989/90; FA Cup 1989
    Total games/goals opposite LFC: 22 / 2
    LFC league games/goals: 131 / 46
    Total LFC games/goals: 175 / 59

Beardsley established himself at third division Carlisle United in the 1979/80 season having been rejected by Newcastle as well as a host of other clubs that didn't believe in the talents of this quiet and unassuming lad. In February 1981 he was presented with a £250 cheque by Jackie Charlton for winning the North East's Most Promising Newcomer trophy, in a competition organised by the Evening Chronicle. Beardsley made an audacious move to Canadian Vancouver Whitecaps where he impressed Manchester United manager Ron Atkinson in a friendly in Canada and joined United in September 1982. He only featured in a single League Cup game before moving back to the Whitecaps after six months. In September 1983 22-year-old Beardsley was on the move again, this time to his hometown club, Newcastle United, for only £150,000 which is arguably the best business the North-East club has ever done! Kevin Keegan's leadership in his final season as a player inspired Chris Waddle and Beardsley to greater heights and the diminutive forward scored 20 goals as Newcastle were promoted to the First Division after a six-year absence. The Magpies remained in the lower half of the top-flight during the rest of Beardsley's tenure at the club.

Beardsley's international career blossomed in the World Cup in Mexico in 1986 when he eventually started in England's third game of the finals against Poland after the team had struggled for goals in its first two games. He had only made his international debut five months earlier. Beardsley was a perfect partner for goalscorer supreme Gary Lineker who scored a hat-trick against the Poles. Paraguay was beaten 3-0 in the following game with a Lineker brace and a Beardsley goal. England finally succumbed in the quarter-finals to a Maradona double. Beardsley also featured in the disastrous 1988 European Championships and in the 1990 World Cup finals in which England lost to West-Germany in the semi-finals.

In 1987 Beardsley had twelve months of his contract to run and manager Willie McFaul said unless he signed a new three-year deal the club was ready to let him go. Liverpool had sold Ian Rush to Juventus for £3.2million and wanted to spend more than half of that on the Geordie. "Kenny was the one who told me to ask for more money when I was *negotiating my move to Liverpool. I was going to ask for less than I eventually got. He told me I was the club's record signing at the time and so I should be asking for wages that reflected that. I would do anything for that man. The man is a genius." Beardsley agreed terms with Liverpool inside an hour and the club paid a British record fee of £1.9million for his services.

The Reds destroyed the opposition with the attacking trio of Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge in the 1987/88 season going 29 games unbeaten on their way to the title which Liverpool clinched with Beardsley's goal at Anfield against Spurs with four rounds to go. Beardsley, who had by his own admittance struggled and felt like an "expensive passenger" for the first half of the season, had scored 18 goals in 48 appearances by his debut campaign's end and earned rave reviews. He was a true wizard with the ball and his dip of the shoulder to fool the opposition became a favourite among the fans. In the 1988/89 season Beardsley contributed 12 goals but a final-day 2-0 defeat to Arsenal robbed the Reds of the title a few weeks after the Hillsborough tragedy. The League Championship was reclaimed in 1989/90 with Beardsley playing an important role but he missed the last seven matches of the season due to a stress fracture of the knee diagnosed following the astounding 4-3 defeat to Crystal Palace in the FA Cup semi-finals. The genial Geordie was taken by surprise in the summer when Dalglish told him that Marseille had made a £3.6million offer for his services. Beardsley was concerned because he felt Liverpool were ready to do business but he didn't want to uproot his young family.

Beardsley was dropped on occasion and substituted once too often for his own liking in the 1990/91 season but he didn't let his standards drop and kept his disappointment to himself. He made the ideal start to the season by scoring the winner against Arsenal in the Charity Shield. He scored a memorable hat-trick against Manchester United at Anfield on 16 September and a brace at Goodison Park six days later. Beardsley was out for six weeks after he tore ligaments in his ankle in Steve McManaman's senior debut against Sheffield United on 15 December 1990. He had been a substitute four games running when he was finally back into the starting line-up following his injury and scored two goals in a thrilling 4-4 FA Cup draw at Goodison Park which turned out to be Dalglish's final game as manager in his first spell at the club. Rumours of a great rift between Kenny and Beardsley in the 1990/91 season were later put to rest: "I never fell out with Kenny other than being devastated at being left out of the team," Beardsley said in 1999. "Kenny is a good friend. I got involved in his wife Marina's charity last year, we played in a charity game together against Celtic and Kenny played in my testimonial. If I had any problem with him I wouldn't have invited him. It is wrong for people to say we fell out."

Graeme Souness took over and it soon became apparent Beardsley wasn't to his likingþ Souness spent a then-record £2.9million fee on Dean Saunders from Derby County in July 1991 which prompted Everton, who intended to sign Saunders, to go for their second choice, Peter Beardsley, for one-third of Saunders' fee. Everton cherished Beardsley for two years where he played 95 games and scored 32 goals and proved that Liverpool sure could have used his talents in Souness' regime. A personal highlight for Beardsley was when he returned to Anfield for his first game in a Blues' shirt on 31 August 1991: "Just before the game the Kop chanted my name and I don't suppose that's happened too many times, an Everton player getting his name chanted by the Kop. But during the game, with Liverpool winning, the crowd started to chant, 'What a waste of talent!' The Kop were a bit special to me on that day and I won't ever forget it."

In July 1993 Beardsley rejoined his beloved Newcastle where manager Kevin Keegan was a big admirer of his considerable talents. Newcastle had just been promoted to the Premier League after winning the First Division. Beardsley played brilliantly and scored 25 goals in all competitions to go along with Andy Cole's 41 as the Magpies finished third. Newcastle finished sixth the following year and were pipped to the title by Manchester United after dropping a twelve-point lead in the 1995/96 season. Beardsley's disappointment was made even greater when he was axed from England's European Championship squad. Dalglish took over at Newcastle mid-season and the club had to settle again for second best in the League. Beardsley brought his second spell at St James' Park to an end in August 1997, at 36 years of age, having added 157 games and 56 goals to bring his total for Newcastle to 321 games and 117 goals.

Beardsley went from one club to another desperate to lengthen his career even rejoining Keegan at Fulham but after a single season at Hartlepool United during which he just escaped the drop to the Conference, he ended his sensational League career. Beardsley was awarded a testimonial by Newcastle in January 1999. He has been part of Newcastle's coaching staff in two spells and was promoted to reserve team coach in July 2010. In October 2011 Beardsley was appointed as football development manager at Newcastle having signed a five-year deal in a role that will see him help drive recruitment on a global, local and national scale and fly the flag for the Magpies around the world.

"I could have signed for Newcastle when I was 17, but I decided I would be better off at Carlisle. I'd had a drink that night"

Peter Beardsley

"There was no way I would have asked to leave Liverpool, I was really enjoying my time there but Souness wanted me out."

Peter Beardsley, september 2000 on Shanklygates

"He's already just about the best player in England at the moment. Add 20 goals a season at Liverpool and he will become a megastar... a name to bracket alongside Maradona and Cruyff. Beardsley is a bargain at £2 Million. He's not at his best yet, but he's going to come to his peak in the next three or four years. But what he needs to work on now is to score more goals. That's the only part of his game that needs improving. He's got everything else. He's a little wizard."

What Bobby Robson, Peter Beardsley's England boss, said when Liverpool announced their record buy

He lived the dream - playing for his beloved Reds and Captaining them to European glory in 1981!
    Phil showed that you don't have to be tall and physically built to be a great centre back, at 6' and shall we say wirey, he read the game excellently.
    A great servant to LFC and a great pundit too! Nice and bias to us!!
    How can someone with those legs and that nose - never mind the haircut - become a legend!!

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/history/p.../phil-thompson

Phil Thompson
    Birthdate: 21 January 1954
    Birthplace: Kirkby, Liverpool, England
    Other clubs: Sheffield United (loan 1984-85 + transfer 1985-86)
    Bought from: Local
    Signed for LFC: April 1970 - Professional 22.01.1971
    International debut: 24.03.1976 vs. Wales
    International caps: 42/1 - 17.11.1982
    Liverpool debut: 03.04.1972
    Last appearance: 20.08.1983
    Debut goal: 04.09.1973
    Last goal: 04.09.1979
    Contract expiry: March 1985
    Win ratio: 56.81% W: 271 D: 129 L: 77
    Honours: League Championship 1972/73, 1975/76, 1976/77, 1978/79, 1979/80, 1981/82, 1982/83; FA Cup 1974; League Cup 1981, 1982; European Cup 1978, 1981; UEFA Cup 1973, 1976
    LFC league games/goals: 340 / 7
    Total LFC games/goals: 477 / 13

Tommo is one of the greatest characters who has graced Liverpool's shirt and one of the most decorated players in English football history. He signed professional forms for his hometown club in January 1971 and made his debut at Old Trafford on Easter Monday 1972, coming on as a substitute for John Toshack after the big Welshman had put Liverpool into a commanding 2-0 lead. Thompson gained some useful experience during the 'double' League and UEFA Cup triumph year of 1972/73. He started out as a midfielder in the team and just qualified for his first championship medal by making 14 first division appearances, but by the opening day of the next season which was Bill Shankly's last as Liverpool manager, he had become an established part of Liverpool's centre of defence. Thompson's style was more continental than that of Larry Lloyd and most of his fellow British professionals. His distribution from defence was first class and he fitted well beside Emlyn Hughes. Thompson added to his already impressive medal collection when he was in the Liverpool side that conquered Newcastle 3-0 at Wembley in the 1974 FA Cup Final. Fired up by Malcolm MacDonald's boasts about how he would terrorise Liverpool's defence, Thompson showed astonishing maturity and composure at the tender age of 20 to effectively reduce the twin-threat that MacDonald and his strike-partner John Tudor posed.

The Reds finished as League runners-up to Derby County in 1974/75 as Bob Paisley came to terms with managing a top club side. It would be the last season without a trophy and winners' medal of one kind or another for the rest of Thompson's time or for that matter Paisley's time as Liverpool manager. In 1975/76 the club repeated its 1973 success at home and in Europe and this time Thompson could share in the 'double' triumph. He only missed one League match and scored the winning goal from close range in the UEFA Cup semi-final against Barcelona which took the club through to the final with Bruges, whom they narrowly beat 4-3 on aggregate to secure the giant trophy. To top off a remarkable year of personal success, Thompson was capped at full international level by England for the first time. He would eventually go on to win 42 caps at senior level and captain the team on six occasions. By now firmly-established in the Liverpool team, Thompson won his third first division championship medal in 1977 but missed out on the club's great triumph in Rome due to a cartilage operation. A year later it was Smith who missed the European Cup final due to injury, but it was Alan Hansen who replaced him in the team for the showdown with Bruges at Wembley. Thompson's place was never in doubt during the second part of that season and after an uncharacteristic error by Hansen near the end of the game when his woeful back-pass had goalkeeper Ray Clemence in all sorts of trouble, it was Thompson who redeemed the situation and protected Liverpool's narrow lead by clearing the ball off the line.

Successive championships followed in 1979 and 1980 with Thompson only missing three League games in the first of those seasons and being an ever-present in the second. In April 1979 the Kirkby lad was given the ultimate honour of captaining the team. Thompson's biggest moment in his Liverpool career came two years later when it was he who walked up the steps first in Paris to collect the club's third European Cup in 1981 after the 1-0 victory over Real Madrid. However, later that year he lost the captaincy to Souness. Thompson won his sixth and seventh championship medals in 1982 and 1983, as well as winning another League Cup winners' medal in 1982 although he missed the chance to play in the 1983 final with Manchester United because of injury. Thompson was by now approaching his thirtieth birthday and the younger Mark Lawrenson had become Hansen's partner at the heart of Liverpool's defence. Thompson eventually brought the curtain down on a wonderful playing career at Anfield by agreeing to join Sheffield United in March 1985, after being on loan at Bramall Lane for four months.

Thompson returned to Liverpool as reserve coach in 1986 replacing Chris Lawler. Robbie Fowler remembers he was a strict taskmaster. "Phil Thompson was a coach who would push youngsters to see how tough they were, and a lot of the young lads coming through despised him for it. I'm amazed he never got properly sparked out there." Thompson had been raised on Ronnie Moran: "Ronnie was my mentor and he was very, very hard at times, but it was the Liverpool way," Thompson said. Thompson stayed on as coach until Souness sacked him infamously in 1993. Tommo returned again to Liverpool as assistant manager in 1998. "We were all training for these Masters games they have on SKY television. It was not far from the ground. One morning I get a phone call just out of the blue from Peter Robinson. He said: 'I'd like you to come to a meeting.' 'When?' He said: 'Right now. Do you know where the Chairman lives?' When I got up to the chairman's house they were all sitting there. They said: 'Well, we would like you to be assistant manager.' I felt absolutely thrilled. Imagine, assistant manager of Liverpool? It was just a dream come true." Houllier wanted more discipline from his camp than any Liverpool player had been used to and Thompson made sure everybody was doing their best. Thompson had filled every role at the club except as manager, but was left to lead Liverpool when Houllier was recuperating from his heart operation, guiding the club to a respectable second in the League in the 2001/02 season. Thompson left after the Frenchman's reign finished six years later.

"I regard Phil as one of the best possible examples of a true professional. His greatest asset as a player is his ability to read the game, he showed that gift even as a teenager. He is not the biggest man physically for his role in defence but his football brain is outstanding." – Bob Paisley.

"Phil whistles all the time during a game. And then suddenly he was searching for something in the grass. 'Phil, what are you doing?' I said. I thought it might be superstition or something. And then he showed me his teeth in his hand. He'd been whistling and they'd fallen out."

Houllier on his return to management in the Roma game

"I missed the 1977 final because I’d had a cartilage operation. Obviously I rejoiced in everything about the game itself, but it was disappointing not being fit to play."

Phil Thompson

"In 1984, 17 players travelled but I was left out of the 16 man squad. That hurt me immensely at the time. I sat in the stands but there was no-one more vocal watching the game, I promise."

Phil Thompson, he missed the 1984 Euro final

"Gerard and I first met in Valencia in 1998, It brings back some good memories for us because it's there were it all started really. I was introduced to Gerard by the late Tom Saunders in a Valencia hotel. I was working for the media at the time, but within a few weeks of that meeting I was back at the club."

Phil Thompson, when he first met Houllier

"This has gone on for far too long now. I know how views can be presented, but with Ian its all one way. What Ian should remember is from 1966-73 we never won a competition. He was part of that. He will remember he was a part of the team which lost to Watford in the FA Cup. That was a team which went down without a fight. That was a team I loved - a team which brought great honour and credit to the club over many years. I'm not stupid. You don't want people to talk ignorantly or only ever say supportive things about the team and players. But what you come to expect is constructive criticism."

Phil Thompson, as Houllier’s assistant, was getting annoyed at St John’s criticism of the team

"Phil Thompson was a coach who would push youngsters to see how tough they were, and a lot of the young lads coming through f***ing despised him for it. I'm amazed he never got properly sparked out there. One time I thought it was really going to kick off in the dressing room when he was the reserve boss, when he started having a right go at a young striker called Wayne Harrison, who Liverpool had bought from Oldham and had high hopes for. Wayne answered back, so Tommo starts on with the ole s**** about putting your medals on the table. So Wayne snapped back at him, 'No, ******* it, let's put our f***ing toes on the table.' Tommo has only got four on one foot, so you can imagine how ballistic he went. Everyone else in the dressing room was *********** themselves and trying to push their fists in their mouths to muffle the noise, because obviously he wasn't the sort of coach you wanted to do that with."

Robbie Fowler's great story about Phil Thompson

"Nobody likes being criticised, particularly by players who will be in Disneyland this summer on their holidays rather than the World Cup in Japan"

Phil Thompson replying Frank De Boer's criticism of LFC.

"Phil is the best back four player in the country. He reads the game brilliantly and never panics no matter what."

Emlyn Hughes in 1977 on Phil Thompson

"Aye, Phil Thompson. The boy tossed up with a sparrow for his legs and lost."

Bill Shankly on Tommo

After the Everton game we would only lose two more league games to the year-end, against Arsenal on December 2 and Bristol City on December 18. It was in the middle of all of this that the club named a new captain with Emlyn Hughes in and out of the team. They turned to Kenny Dalglish and I must admit that I was a bit miffed. So were some of the others. Terry Mac could not understand the logic and nor could Phil Neal who said: 'I just can’t understand , Thommo. It is your right to be captain of this football team.'

I suppose no one has a right. You have to earn it, but I had worked hard and had hoped that my chance would come with Emlyn’s games few and far between. I don’t think Kenny took to being skipper, but I still began to question myself....

Emlyn had been back in the side for another spell, playing at left-back with Phil Neal on the right and Jocky Hansen and myself in the middle. Then Emlyn succumbed to another injury that was to finish his career with Liverpool. It was April 7, 1979. An hour before our home game with Arsenal Bob Paisley started to name the team. I was fully expecting Kenny to be captain, but Bob turned round and said: 'Phil, you will lead the team today.' I was stunned. I always thought my chance would come, but not on that day. I never asked Bob or Kenny about the change of heart."

Phil Thompson explains in his autobiography how he got the Liverpool captaincy

Gerard told me at the end of our time: 'Phil, if you ever go to another football club in your work, first thing you must do, because you run the club, is to think: 'What is your legacy?' We changed the face of the football club from being on the front pages and took it to the back pages again. We were a proper football club again. We brought the club back from the players. We left one of the best training grounds in Europe. New people who come in will say: 'What a good job they did' and we did.

In the Liverpool Echo when we finished they had: '10 million pounds of cost to get rid of us.' They had pictures of us in the newspaper like we were criminals. That was absolutely dreadful. We put the smiles back on the faces of the Liverpool fans. We had the first European final for many years. People had only heard of the legends of European finals. We beat Manchester United in the League cup. That wasn't anything to be sniffed at. We had a wonderful day down at Cardiff. Over the few years we were there we gave some fantastic times. We were going down to Cardiff on a regular basis so it wasn't a failure. We were a part of the history of the club. We came, we served, we left. The club needs to move on. If people think that we took the club as far as we can, no problem, maybe it was."

Phil Thompson on his time with Houllier in an exclusive interview with LFChistory.net

The debate is there to be had and I suppose it depends on your football era. For me the three greatest managers are - Shanks, Paisley and Busby and ,for me anyway, in that order.
    If you read about Bob and listen to the stories from ex-players, he sounds like your favourite uncle with a touch of Stalin! Plain and fair but very tough! In some ways he was a reluctant visionary - not wanting the managers job but to say he excelled is an understatement!

Bob Paisley - Playing career

http://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/Profile/785

Bob Paisley - Manager.

Birthdate: 23 January 1919
    Birthplace: Hetton-le-Hole, England
    Other clubs as manager: None
    Arrived from: LFC coach
    Signed for LFC: 26 July 1974
    First game in charge: 10.08.1974
    Contract Expiry: 01.07.1983
    LFC league games as manager: 378
    Total LFC games as manager: 535
    Honours: League Championship 1975/76, 1976/77, 1978/79, 1979/80, 1981/82, 1982/83; European Cup 1977, 1978, 1981; UEFA Cup 1976; League Cup 1981, 1982, 1983; Manager of the Year 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1983

Liverpool offered Bob Paisley the job of reserve team manager in 1954 and eventually his skill with the new electrical equipment made him the in-house physio. Don Welsh was first-team manager and continued to struggle as Liverpool adjusted to life in the Second Division. Meanwhile, after finding his feet in his new role, Bob Paisley's reserves, whom he inherited from Jimmy Seddon, began to make pleasing headway. In his second term at the helm Paisley guided the reserves to runners-up spot in the Central league. Phil Taylor, who had quit playing for Liverpool at the same time as Paisley, took over essentially as caretaker-manager after Welsh's sacking at the end of the 1955/56 season and having served his apprenticeship for a whole season it was reported on 1 May 1957 that: "At their weekly board meeting last night Liverpool FC directors appointed Phil Taylor as manager. Hitherto he has been acting manager only. While Mr. Taylor has been acting manager, the club did not fill the coaching position which he formerly occupied. They have now appointed Bob Paisley, at present second-team trainer, as chief coach." A series of near-miss promotion attempts ensued as the 50's turned into a frustrating decade for the Reds that ended with the blessing of Bill Shankly's arrival.

In 1971 when Shankly signed what was to be his last contract for Liverpool Paisley was promoted to assistant manager with Joe Fagan replacing him as first-team coach. Three years later, at 55 years of age, Paisley became the successor to Shankly. Some thought that Shankly had made a hasty decision he would later regret. New chairman, John Smith, offered him a contract on an increased salary, but it wasn’t about money. Shankly had been at Liverpool for nearly 15 years and it was a terrible wrench to leave. He recalls in his autobiography that he suggested to the directors that “the only way to make the changeover was to promote the rest of the staff." He even added that he had “elevated them earlier with a view to what I was going to do later on." Having signed professional forms in May 1939, Paisley had already been at Anfield twice as long as Shankly and despite his reluctance to take the job, if the job was going to remain in-house, he was the only logical candidate. Paisley knew the club and the game inside out and was a fine judge of a player. He had an almost uncanny ability of being able to correctly diagnose an injury and treat it accordingly. But where personality was concerned Bob was totally opposite to Bill. He had been in the background for so long that the responsibility of dealing with the press was frightening. Paisley knew the enormity of the task at hand and confessed to the press: “It’s like being given the Queen Elizabeth to steer in a force 10 gale.” Chief Executive Peter Robinson confirms Paisley had to be virtually manhandled to accept the responsibility. "When we approached Bob he said no. In the end the Chairman, directors and I had to gang up on him.”
    While Paisley prepared for his first League game against Luton Town on 17 August 1974 Shankly spent his first Saturday afternoon in retirement watching his local home match; Everton - Derby County. Even though Paisley wasn't the darling of the media like Shankly he showed early on that he was also capable of a one-liner. When the press asked Bob what Shankly was doing this particular afternoon, he replied: "He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton." Paisley’s first season in charge was not a success, not by the high standards set by his predecessor anyway. The team fought hard to reclaim the League title but defeat at Middlesbrough on the penultimate weekend of the season meant their challenge was over. There was disappointment in the cups too with a late Ipswich goal at Portman Road putting the holders out of the FA Cup and Middlesbrough beating them in the League Cup at Anfield in November. Liverpool enjoyed their biggest-ever competitive victory with an 11-0 thrashing of the Norwegian part-timers from Drammen in the opening round of the Cup Winners’ Cup but conceding a last-minute equaliser at home to Ferencvaros in the next round was a blow the team was unable to recover from and they eventually went out of the competition on the away goals rule a fortnight later. As things turned out, that 1974/75 season would be the only one during Paisley’s reign that no silverware was won.

Continuity on the pitch was vital to the club's success. The sort of wholesale buying and selling that would be commonplace long after his retirement was not part of Paisley’s agenda. Changes were made gradually and the newcomers integrated carefully into an already successful side. Phil Neal arrived in 1974 soon replacing Alec Lindsay, the only change to the regular 11 from Shankly's last campaign in Paisley's debut season. Terry McDermott, who had arrived from Newcastle, was having trouble adjusting as well as the final signing of the Shankly era, Ray Kennedy. In 1975/76 the most vital changes to Paisley's side took place in midfield. Peter Cormack's days were numbered following Paisley's successful transformation of Ray Kennedy into a left-sided midfielder and Jimmy Case was promoted from the reserves to replace the industrious Brian Hall. Liverpool's improvement on the road provided Paisley's team with nine more points to win the League Championship in 1976 as well as repeating Shankly's UEFA Cup success from 1973. Prior to the 1976/77 season Liverpool purchased David Johnson who slowly made his mark on the team while Joey Jones was preferred to Tommy Smith in defence. Liverpool retained the Championship and were unbeaten a home in the League, a feat Shankly only accomplished once in the top division, 1970/71. Liverpool embarked on a historic run in the European Cup in which young striker, David Fairclough proved vital as well old hand Smith who returned to centre of defence late in the season following Phil Thompson's injury. Shankly had seen his European dream crushed in 1965 at the hands of a dishonest referee, but there was no stopping Paisley's army. He put down a marker when Liverpool were triumphant in Rome in 1977.

Arguably the greatest signing Paisley ever made brought a new dimension to the side. Kenny Dalglish replaced Kevin Keegan as the catalyst at Liverpool, in 1977. Two months later Paisley made another key signing in Graeme Souness from Middlesbrough. The third Scot, Alan Hansen, had joined in May 1977. Paisley had formed the core of the side that was going to achieve more than any other previous Liverpool team. Amazingly Paisley won the European Cup for the second year running, but lost the League to Nottingham Forest. Winning can become a habit but Liverpool were winning in style, no more so than during the 1978/79 season when they scored 85 goals in their 42 League fixtures with Ray Clemence only conceding 16 at the other end. During the next eight years before he stood down in 1983, Paisley’s teams won the English Championship six times and also won four European trophies as well as taking the much-maligned League Cup more seriously than before and achieving a hat-trick of victories in his last three seasons as manager, an achievement that would be added to in Joe Fagan’s initial year in charge. The domestic success was remarkable on its own but to couple it with unparalleled success in Europe was almost beyond belief. Bob Paisley became the only man to coach teams to the European Champions’ cup on three different occasions.

By the time he retired in 1983, Bob Paisley had been associated with Liverpool Football club for 44 years. He would continue to offer advice to his successor Kenny Dalglish for a couple of years before becoming a boardmember. With his mentor by his side Dalglish led the club to the League and FA Cup double in his first season in charge. There was some irony in that because the FA Cup was the one domestic trophy that eluded Bob as a manager. There were as many great games during Paisley’s time in charge as there were great players. This can only be a general summary of an astonishing period in the club’s history. Will there ever again be one man who serves a single club for so long and with such devotion and such success? The answer is almost certainly not. Knowing that the 1983 League Cup final would be the last time Paisley would lead his team out as manager at Wembley, the players graciously allowed their boss to climb the famous steps to collect the trophy on their behalf. A man who preferred to stay in the background had a special moment to remember, that is the one of the most heartwarming sights Liverpool fans have ever seen. A few weeks later Paisley walked out at Anfield for the last time as the man in charge to be presented with the Championship trophy yet again. Bob Paisley, the man who had to follow a legend, had become one himself.

http://www.lfchistory.net/Managers/Manager/Profile/10 - Quotes well worth reading!

Arguably, the best defender we've ever had. That's what he does - defend - no compromise, passion, hard work and total commitment!
    I have no idea why he left us to pursue a career on Sky as a pundit but a massive loss/big mistake to not tie him down as a coach. Carra would be a guaranteed quality signing for Klopp - it's a no brainer! So if you're reading this Jurgen - sort it!
    Jamie took plenty of criticism in his early days but matured into a fantastic centre back and for many was the real Captain on the field!

Jamie Carragher
    Birthdate: 28 January 1978
    Birthplace: Bootle, Liverpool, England
    Other clubs: None
    Bought from: Local
    Signed for LFC: Joined 1987 - Professional 09.10.1996
    International debut: 28.04.1999 vs. Hungary
    International caps: 38/0 - 18.06.2010
    Liverpool debut: 08.01.1997
    Last appearance: 19.05.2013
    Debut goal: 18.01.1997
    Last goal: 23.08.2008
    Contract expiry: 01.06.2013
    Win ratio: 54% W: 398 D: 167 L: 172
    Honours: FA Cup 2001, 2006; League Cup 2001, 2003, 2012; Champions League 2005; UEFA Cup 2001
    LFC league games/goals: 508 / 4
    Total LFC games/goals: 737 / 5

"There may be more skilful players in the squad, but no one can ever say I don't give 100%." A scouser whose fighting capabilities and sense of humour has endeared him to supporters and teammates alike. Carragher became the scouse rock at the heart of the Liverpool defence. He has excelled both on domestic and European level, leading the charge to Jerzy Dudek's goal following his penalty save from Shevchenko in Istanbul even though Carragher had suffered from agonising leg cramp in extra-time. It was Roy Evans, in his penultimate full season as sole manager, who gave the soon-to-be 19-year-old his first-team debut in January 1997, as a substitute for Rob Jones in a League Cup tie at Middlesbrough. It was a debut that had been expected for a while because Carragher’s presence had been carefully monitored through his days at the Football Association’s School of Excellence at Lilleshall and as a member of Liverpool’s successful Youth Cup-winning team of 1996. His first start was marked in fine style by heading in a left-wing corner in front of the Kop to set his team on the way to a comfortable 3-0 victory over Aston Villa at Anfield. Goals for Liverpool have come rarely for Carragher and this was one of the highlights of his career: "I knew the night before, I was down to play at centre-half but Bjørn Kvarme's clearance came through before 5 pm that night but I didn't realise. I wouldn't have been playing only that Patrik Berger was sick that night, so there was a place and I was moved into midfield. I was a bit nervous, but it was more excitement really. I got booked after 20 seconds, that calmed me down."

Carragher became a more regular member of the team with 20 first-team appearances from the start and three more as substitute in the disappointing 1997/98 season. Once Gerard Houllier had taken over following the departure of Roy Evans towards the end of 1998, he put his complete faith in the Bootle boy who became a key player for the Frenchman for the rest of his reign at Anfield that reached its zenith in the historic ‘Treble’ season of 2000/01. Carragher wasn't though to everyone's taste as he himself recognised. "I don't go on the websites or anything but I believe there's murder there after a game if we have got beaten. But I'm not kidding people, if the team were to get beaten then I know I'd be one of the first to get criticised!" His number of appearances only dipped once below 50-a-season for Houllier but his absence was excusable as he broke his leg at Blackburn's Ewood Park on 13 September 2003 which kept him out for four months. Carragher's versatility as a defender proved to be absolutely vital for him as he held his ground despite many attempts by newcomers to push him out of the first eleven. He could adapt to any given situation which has proved ultimately the foundation for his long and successful career. He established himself as the team’s regular right-back before moving to the left when Markus Babbel arrived at the club. Houllier's successor, Rafa Benítez, saw Carragher as an ideal centre-half and in the Spaniard’s first two seasons in charge that ended with victories in the Champions League and the FA Cup, he made 56 and 57 first-team appearances respectively. His performances defied belief as Alan Hansen noted following Liverpool's monumental win over Chelsea in the semi-finals at Anfield in May 2005: "The way he held Chelsea at bay was unbelievable. I'm sitting there in awe of how many times he intercepted, blocked and covered."

Carragher scored an own goal in the 2006 FA Cup final and they have come more readily for him than actually scoring for his own team as Steven Gerrard pointed out lightheartedly: "Carra is the best defender I've played with at Liverpool and the worst finisher I've ever played with!" Carragher has managed to put the ball eight times into his own net, including twice in the same game against Manchester United in September 1999. It’s probably an inevitable part of a defender’s life that he will sometimes unwittingly make the crucial contact or deflection that can prove costly. The number of goals Carragher has prevented by his last-ditch tackling and self-sacrifice for the team far outweighs any "damage" he may have done. Rafa Benítez emphasized Carragher's importance to the team in March 2007: "For me Jamie is one of the best defenders in Europe. He is always focused on the game, always trying to learn. That is the key for me because each season he improves a little bit. He reminds me of a hunting dog, when I want something specific done in defence he is very willing to learn. He is always shouting and talking to the others. He is good for the young players, showing them what to do and how to play."

A couple of nasty injuries restricted Carragher to playing in only 38 of the team's 54 first-team matches during the 2010/11 season. He enjoyed a well-deserved testimonial at Anfield in September 2010 when a mixture of Liverpool players past and present played an Everton team with all proceeds from the game going to local charities through the Carragher 23 Foundation. Carragher appeared in 60% of the club's first-team matches in 2011/12 but only 21 Premier League appearances was his lowest total since the 2003/04 season. He became 34 years old during the campaign and it became clear that he was no longer an automatic choice. Since Brendan Rodgers arrived at the club he has emphasised Carra's importance to the squad. "Jamie has been an absolute model professional. I feel we are a quiet team, and maybe we've needed players who can organise and manage inside the game. You need a voice in your team, and you don't get a louder voice that Carra's!"

At the end of the first week of February Carragher announced that he would be retiiring as a player at the end of the 2012/13 season. He only missed one match from the date of that announcement until the end of the season and made an emotional farewell as captain in Steven Gerrard's absence when Liverpool played at home to Queens Park Rangers on the final day of the season. Having scored on his home debut against Aston Villa back in January 1997, Carragher nearly bowed out in similar style when a second-half drive crashed against the QPR post. But as he only averaged one goal every one hundred and forty-seven Liverpool matches, it is more the goals he prevented that will be remembered at the end of a truly outstanding playing career. He will be badly missed, especially because at the time of his retirement there was no obvious long-term successor to his position from others still at the club.

Carragher has quite literally had a historic career at Liverpool. He made his 137th European appearance for Liverpool in March 2011, a British record at the time although he was subsequently overtaken by Ryan Giggs. On 9 May 2011 he overtook Emlyn Hughes and Ray Clemence in making his 666th competitive appearance for the club, leaving just Ian Callaghan ahead of him in the club's all-time appearance list. A remarkable feat!

"Jamie Carragher is my player of the season. He has been absolutely superb and wherever he plays he is always consistently good. For Houllier to make him first choice left back, even though he is not naturally left footed, when there is a lot of competition there says it all. Competitive and a born winner, he deserves to be first choice for England."

Ian Rush 2001-2002

"I don't go on the websites or anything but I believe there's murder there after a game if we have got beaten. But I'm not kidding people, if the team were to get beaten then I know I'd be one of the first to get criticised!"

Carra in 2003

"He's the joker of the squad alright. Carra is always the life and soul of the party. If we win a game and go out to celebrate, he's the first one of the microphone. He's straight on stage and trying to get everyone else to get up and have a go. We reckon he fancies himself as a bit of a singer on the quiet. He's not bad either, although I'm not sure if I should say that! Every club needs someone like Carra. You can't buy team spirit and with him around the atmosphere in the dressing room is always brilliant."

Chris Kirkland

"Although you've got a mix of German, Swiss and Finnish in the back four, we all speak to each other in English. The only problem, though, is that none of us can understand Jamie Carragher!"

Stephane Henchoz

"There's no point sulking about it. There's not a lot you can do, except impress the manager in training and in games. Or find out his (Finnan's) address and send the boys round!"

Carra was asked by Sky Sports about the arrival of Steve Finnan

"My room-mate on away trips is one of the genuine Scousers. He’s full of funny digs and gives the foreigners some light-hearted stick. As a local lad he has hundreds of mates who are Liverpool fans and is always looking for tickets for them. Suddenly he becomes really friendly with the foreign stars because their need for tickets is not as great as his."

Owen in 2001 on Carra

"There may be more skilful players in the squad, but no one can ever say I don't give 100%".

Jamie Carragher

"If you understand Carra, you'll understand everyone"

Benítez to Morientes when he arrived at the club

"When I say life, I mean it. I want to stay here. When I say that, it's not talk, I really mean it. I mean I'm not kidding myself, I don't think I'm going to go any higher than Liverpool. If your club's in the Champions League that's the ultimate and obviously you want to win trophies.

I've been lucky enough to do that here in the past and I want to win bigger trophies now, the Champions League and the Premiership. We're not at that level yet but the new manager, if he can bring in a few more players, can get us to that level. I've never even thought about leaving."

Carra in March 2005

"Carragher is 10 times a better defender than I could ever be. He is a completely different player. He is a great defender whereas I was not. My strengths were on the ball, positional sense and recovery pace. The way he held Chelsea at bay was unbelievable. I'm sitting there in awe of how many times he intercepted, blocked and covered. I think if we look at Liverpool greats over the years - and there have been a lot of them - Carragher is up there with the best of them."

Alan Hansen in May 2005

"We have big names in our defence which is probably the best in Europe. Liverpool don't have that but they have players to be respected, especially Carragher who is now the third-best defender in the Premiership and has proved very impressive."

Paolo Maldini in May 2005

"I'm very close to Jamie, we're good friends. Jamie is more into football that anyone I know. He thinks Sky+ is the best invention ever. He tapes every single sports show and watches them continuously! He's obsessed!"

Steven Gerrard on Jamie Carragher in October 2005

"When the news came through on the TV, I nearly choked on my cornflakes."

Jamie Carragher, overjoyed at the news of Steven Gerrard's transfer U-turn

"For me, it was probably Eidur Gudjohnsen missing the chance in the final minute when we played Chelsea. For a second, my heart was in my mouth. I thought we had thrown everything away that we had worked so hard all season to achieve. When his shot whistled past the post, it was a signal that we were going to the final and, for me, it was the sign that we were going to do it."

Carragher asked to pick out one moment from the Champions League campaign

"I'll be on a bender for a week."

Carragher will still be celebrating the win in Istanbul as you read this

"Before the penalties, Carra came up to me like he was crazy - as always! He said: "Jerzy, Jerzy - remember Bruce (Grobbelaar). He did crazy things to put them off and you have to do the same".

Liverpool hero Jerzy Dudek reveals the 'wobbly legs' in Istanbul

"The best defender I've played with at Liverpool and the worst finisher I've ever played with!"

Steven Gerrard on Carra

"For me Jamie is one of the best defenders in Europe. He is always focused on the game, always trying to learn. That is the key for me because each season he improves a little bit. He is always listening and that is one of the reasons he can keep improving. It is the same every training session, always working hard, always trying to improve. He reminds me of a hunting dog, when I want something specific done in defence he is very willing to learn. As a defender he is someone you do not want to play against, to have marking you.

He has a strong character. He is always shouting and talking to the others, such a key player for us. He is good for the young players, showing them what to do and how to play. Carra lets them know what is expected. It is so important, he puts people under pressure and that is really good for team spirit. Jamie is playing really well, for the last two seasons he has been a really key player for us."

Rafa on Jamie Carragher in March 2007

"I love playing games. I want to play as many games as I can. I’m not going to break any goalscoring records, so I’ll just have to try to break a few appearance records."

Jamie Carragher in September 2007. Carra will certainly break in to the Top 10 list of most appearances for Liverpool

"Jamie Carragher is the true boss in the dressing room. He is very bad-tempered, he orders everybody around and yells a lot. Jamie sees and hears everything and keeps us informed."

Arbeloa on boss Carragher

"He thinks he's a bit of a star doesn't he? But he has one of the worst strike rates of any forward in Liverpool history. He's the only no. 9 ever to go through a whole season without scoring , in fact he's probably the only no. 9 of any club to do that. He was always the last one to get picked in training."

Carragher is not a big fan of El Hadji Diouf

"I think everyone just thinks he is a bit stupid now, I think he embarrasses himself, he's just like a big baby isn't he? He's a great manager in what he's done, but I dont think you can say he is a great man. There's nothing wrong with defending your players, or playing mind games, but Mourinho just takes it too far. He always seems to be talking about other teams and other players."

Carra in April 2006 on big baby Jose Mourinho

When I came on I didn't notice it too much. I think you notice it more when you are watching on TV. But my kids have been on the phone and asked for two so I'll have to take two home for them. I've got two in my bag already. Anyone who watches me play at Anfield will know that I am louder than the vuvuzelas!

World Cup organisers said they would not ban vuvuzelas from stadiums in South Africa, despite numerous complaints. Jamie Carragher said the noise did not bother him.

"Now, I want to make it clear I’ve no axe to grind with Andy. I found him to be a good lad and his spell at the club wasn’t without highlights. He did what every Liverpool No 9 should do and scored two winning goals against Everton, including one at Wembley in the 2012 FA Cup semi-final. I wanted Liverpool to sign him, especially after he tormented our defence one day at St James’ Park. If we could have got him for between £12-15m, it would have been good business. The feeling around the club when we were in for him was that maybe he could mature into our Didier Drogba. Unfortunately, though, Liverpool’s decision to pay £35million was a big mistake and it never did Andy any favours. He started well, with two goals against Manchester City on his first start, but it quickly became apparent he wasn’t the right fit for the club. In training, he’d complain if the ball was not flung into the box — and I don’t mean from out wide. He wanted the ball to come in to him from close to the halfway line, but at Liverpool that was never going to happen. "

There were other things. He found the intensity of playing three games every week difficult. Before he might have been used to getting himself right for a match on a Saturday, then spending time socially with his mates — as we all did when we were young — but at Liverpool the training and professional demands are relentless. He would very rarely complete a full week on the training field at Melwood and, eventually, that takes a toll. If you aren’t fully conditioned, you are susceptible to injuries and Andy suffered his fair share. Another major issue was the fact he lacked pace. He suits the way Sam Allardyce operates and is West Ham’s focal point but at Liverpool that would never have been the case. Andy may feel Brendan made the decision about him too quickly but it was the right call."

Carra on Andy Carroll in April 2014

"It is a profession that breeds feelings of anger, paranoia and insecurity in some of the most powerful personalities in the game. My press conferences would be entertaining too, although whether this would sit comfortably with those who’d prefer a quiet manager I’m not so sure. Of all the managers I’ve worked with, I suspect I’d have more in common with Houllier, in that he lost his temper much more than Benitez and Evans."

Carragher on management in "Carra: My Autobiography"