Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Implementation of a Reputation System and Post Feedback Proposal

1. #1 Default Implementation of a Reputation System and Post Feedback Proposal 
    Today we have had a thread on how some posters find the forum tedious and have requested some fresh ideas to get people back onto the forum.

I know there have been some changes with formatting recently although I believe this was more for organisation purposes than quality of the experience we have posting on here.

These forums used to be fantastic back when we had a reputation system and I believe a change back to that format would be refreshing and drive LFC membership sales back up.

I also propose a post feedback system in the form of positive or negative 'karma' or 'up votes' alone.

Could you advise on the viability of these proposals becoming a possibility or setting up a forum poll to see what our thoughts are?

Thanks.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Coutinho_to_Greatness is offline Directors Box
    Those were the days. They'll never be back. Like everything else in this world, the good stuff must be taken away to make room for 'grey' mundane things.

How exactly would bringing back the rep system make the forums fresh and more interesting? This is a genuine question as I do not understand how you believe that would work, Frankly-Mr-Shankly? I understand how the rep system itself works as I was here when it was active - but I do not understand how having it would increase the quality of posts and / or threads?

Are you suggesting that, because people could get a post 'liked', it would get them to increase the quality of what it is they are saying? Could the reverse of that not happen - that being where someone holds back on saying something because they are not sure it will be well received, and therefore would get 'negative rep'?

Also, what if there are posters who you just don't like for whatever reason .. could this not influence you to neg their posts when there are in fact little wrong with them .. or, conversely, just give rep out to posters you do like, irrespective of what it is they are actually posting?

Would be interested to hear the rationale behind your thinking, Frankly-Mr-Shankly?

Janno, I see you are asking for ideas in the LFCTVGO thread there that I cannot post in. My idea is to bring back neg/ rep. I think it kept people coming back to the forums more often to see their rep/ neg. Now, whatever about improving posting, etc, I think getting more *** back regularly is the first step, and rep and neg is the way to go IMO.

THANKS

Jannno is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DidiDidIt View Post
    Janno, I see you are asking for ideas in the LFCTVGO thread there that I cannot post in. My idea is to bring back neg/ rep. I think it kept people coming back to the forums more often to see their rep/ neg. Now, whatever about improving posting, etc, I think getting more *** back regularly is the first step, and rep and neg is the way to go IMO.

THANKS
    What's the starred out word in your post Didi?

Quote Originally Posted by Jannno View Post
    it was " P p L " hahaha short for people , as us cool kids like to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly-Mr-Shankly View Post
    Today we have had a thread on how some posters find the forum tedious and have requested some fresh ideas to get people back onto the forum.

I know there have been some changes with formatting recently although I believe this was more for organisation purposes than quality of the experience we have posting on here.

These forums used to be fantastic back when we had a reputation system and I believe a change back to that format would be refreshing and drive LFC membership sales back up.

I also propose a post feedback system in the form of positive or negative 'karma' or 'up votes' alone.

Could you advise on the viability of these proposals becoming a possibility or setting up a forum poll to see what our thoughts are?

Thanks.
    Repped

Quote Originally Posted by Jannno View Post
    Negged
    - Revive Once Again -

I post on some message boards where you can "thank" posts, which I think would be a great addition on here. The rep system was great fun but was open to abuse, so I can understand why it was nixed - having said that, something where you could upvote or downvote a post would definitely be a step in the right direction.

Something where you could thank or downvote a post without it going for or against the poster involved would be good, I think. Cant see any downsides to it.

Quote Originally Posted by DidiDidIt View Post

THANKS
    Apart from the frequent 'drive-by' negging, which was more about amusement or malice than commenting on quality.

The only thing that might prevent that aspect of it would be to have no annonimity.And that would precipitate armageddon.

It won't come back because there's not enough mods in the world to cope with it. Despite that, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luises-Finger View Post
    Apart from the frequent 'drive-by' negging, which was more about amusement or malice than commenting on quality.
    Yes, it was a political tool for political tools. The contributions of some posters who had a line of red beneath their name were as worthwhile as some with bands of green.

It also encouraged 'rep whoring', people starting threads with popular suggestions or simply rousing enthusiasm by suggesting "get behind the team" kind of thing, I'd rather read something more deep thinking that I didn't necessarily agree with.

I think most on the boards know who the good and bad eggs are, the WUMs and the mancs, the bickering elements etc, you don't need a band of red or green or some title in their name or signature to pick them out - unless they change their name every five minutes but that would only help identification a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Luises-Finger View Post
    The only thing that might prevent that aspect of it would be to have no annonimity.And that would precipitate armageddon.

It won't come back because there's not enough mods in the world to cope with it. Despite that, I'm all for it.
    Are you a 'rep whore' or 'political tool'? (only kidding)

Oh and for all those clamouring for their bit of vengeance or whatever they want rep back for, consider this. It was a flawed system anyway, you couldn't give rep and 'negs' on merit but had to "share it out" which meant a good poster who made 2 or more posts worth praising in short succession could only be "repped" once by you and you had to balance it out. Not all things are equal, some things are more equal than others. For his abusive approach (at times) I could have negged say coach every other post, might have been harsh but more likely not unreasonable, and the system wouldn't as if you had to apply a "take turns" approach.
    Last edited by TheDarknessIsCalling; 28-11-15 at 10:38.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Any update on this?

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Pretty much a non starter.

Too much point scoring on the boards already.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Rep was crap. Basically became a way to cow people away from debates instead of actually discussing ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesArePossible View Post
    Rep was crap. Basically became a way to cow people away from debates instead of actually discussing ideas.
    I see sites with "likes" options, just promotes kid level mentality to discussion. Sites without any such gimmicks are so much better, if people are so needy they have to have likes or accumulate friends who rarely see or speak to them ie f**ebook, they should go to those sites and good riddance

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post

negged

Even if you had enough people who used it in the right way the system is/was flawed. You might make two really good or really bad posts in a matter of minutes, but you had to "share the reputation" by giving it to lots of others first ie it wasn't on merit, it was just absurd

No. Please no.

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post

That's disappointing, although thank you for the reply.

I believe implementing such a system, would make the forums more interesting.

negged.

They should bring back rep. Made things more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by phuzz View Post
    They should bring back rep. Made things more interesting
    Made posters more needy.
    Was a bit pathetic really . Green whores

Quote Originally Posted by redhoops View Post
    Made posters more needy.
    Was a lot pathetic, you only have to look at any BBC news stories including sports where they do comments and it's feeble. Good points "negged" because people don't like or agree with something said, regardless of merit, and equally popular comments given positive feedback because it is liked or agreed with.

Even agree and disagree feedback would be pointless, as you say attention whores exist already whether they end up long and green or long and red. There's enough nonsense on these forums with bickering etc without adding to the playground feel...........

Made posters more needy.
    Weird that the pinnacle of this forum's existence was when it was full of these so-called needy posters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Rock View Post
    Weird that the pinnacle of this forum's existence was when it was full of these so-called needy posters.
    Not weird. Social media drives too many to seek faint praise

Not weird. Social media drives too many to seek faint praise
    No matter what their motivations, the best years of this forum and the best posters coincided with the rep system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Rock View Post
    No matter what their motivations, the best years of this forum and the best posters coincided with the rep system.
    Wasn't the rep system abolished around the same time here crashed for a few weeks ?
    That has a huge impact on the level of posters IMO

Wasn't the rep system abolished around the same time here crashed for a few weeks ?
    Much earlier. But if your point is that posters didn't leave due to the abolition of the rep system I agree, however the level of discussion had been trending down steadily so most never saw fit to come back after the hack.

no, the rep system was turned off not long after I joined, the crash was long after and the result of a hack, I still have the screenshot somewhere of a red devil where the forum should have been.

Made posters more needy.
    It was good way of people acknowledging good posts, like a reward system. Quality of forums have gone down the drain since it was stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by phuzz View Post
    It was good way of people acknowledging good posts, like a reward system. Quality of forums have gone down the drain since it was stopped.
    Terrible post!

(note how the lack of a rep system didn't hinder me in rating your post?)

The rep system is just a big 'ol circle jerk and adds nothing to the quality of debate on this or any other forum.
    Vorsprung durch gegenpressing

Quote Originally Posted by Fight Cloob View Post
    Terrible post!

(note how the lack of a rep system didn't hinder me in rating your post?)

The rep system is just a big 'ol circle jerk and adds nothing to the quality of debate on this or any other forum.
    Damn Right - people wanting reps just smacks of someone with low esteem - just wanting love and some feel good factor