Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: *The Book Thread - Name the book you're reading and rate the last book you read*

After being inspired by the "best decade for music" tread, I'm re-reading Ready Player One. Even though I've not a big fan of the 80s, I really enjoy the nostalgia. Quality book and a must read if you've not read it.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

I've been quite a fan of Sergei Lukyanenko's Watch "hexology" (if that's the right term). I would recommend them all for a read although the 5th one wasn't a patch on the preceeding books and I'm still waiting on the last one to be translated and released although I understand through a friend that while Russia tensions are high he may be withholding it in protest.

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Started reading a "five go to Brexit Island" spoof Enid Blyton book, bit contrived as far as I got so far.

But mainly popped in to say anyone who hasn't read "Eight Days of Luke" should read it, one of a few books stick in my mind borrowing from the library when I was a kid and have since bought.

Like some books and indeed films I still have a few in memory, mostly without name (if I ever knew it) to (re)acquire. Still want to find out what that creepy come scary film/series episode was where there's either some space pod or a motor home or something in a planet or desert like setting and this doll is in it and her eyes open. As you can imagine with the explosion of the internet, using what I know to try and find it will hit everything but, even if there is something on there relating to it.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by kenyanstar View Post
    They say space opera genre do you recommend anything similar to this?
    There are some really good space operas out there and lots of real dire ones!

Nothing quite like hyperion though (but there is a sequel).

Modern space operas would be works by Vernor Vinge, Peter Hamilton, James Cory (Expanse series), Dune Series, Enders Game (not so much the series though), Heinlein, Scalzi, Arthur C Clarke, David Brin's Uplift books (only the 4 uplift books as the rest of his stuff is crap), Alister Reynolds, Ian M Banks, Larry Niven (mote in god's eye, not so much ringwordl), for trashy space opera you also have Kevin Anderson (saga seven suns) and Gateway Series (Pohl).

I've not read all that stuff but there are some fantastic stories in there.

Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    There are some really good space operas out there and lots of real dire ones!

Nothing quite like hyperion though (but there is a sequel).

Modern space operas would be works by Vernor Vinge, Peter Hamilton, James Cory (Expanse series), Dune Series, Enders Game (not so much the series though), Heinlein, Scalzi, Arthur C Clarke, David Brin's Uplift books (only the 4 uplift books as the rest of his stuff is crap), Alister Reynolds, Ian M Banks, Larry Niven (mote in god's eye, not so much ringwordl), for trashy space opera you also have Kevin Anderson (saga seven suns) and Gateway Series (Pohl).

I've not read all that stuff but there are some fantastic stories in there.
    I'd probably add the Forever War series by Joe Haldeman. His education is astonomy and physics and his tour in Vietnam gives him a very good basis for a series like that (Grunts sent out to attack an alien race but the time distortion dynamic of travel at near C as well as the horror of war is treated impeccably). It grabbed me from the first page. My favourite random book purchase.

Slightly different would be The Gap Series by Stephen Donaldson, a very heavy series space opera with some very mature themes but the story telling, as always with Donaldson, is first rate. One of my favourite series of books ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    I'd probably add the Forever War series by Joe Haldeman. His education is astonomy and physics and his tour in Vietnam gives him a very good basis for a series like that (Grunts sent out to attack an alien race but the time distortion dynamic of travel at near C as well as the horror of war is treated impeccably). It grabbed me from the first page. My favourite random book purchase.

Slightly different would be The Gap Series by Stephen Donaldson, a very heavy series space opera with some very mature themes but the story telling, as always with Donaldson, is first rate. One of my favourite series of books ever.
    My first audio book - in the car on the way to work! Loved it! I prob missed loads of good books

My first audio book - in the car on the way to work! Loved it! I prob missed loads of good books
    When you are on the spot, its easy to forget some.

TBH, I've read a fair few of what you posted but I've not read any Hamilton yet. I might make it my next purchase given what I read on the wiki.

When you are on the spot, its easy to forget some.

TBH, I've read a fair few of what you posted but I've not read any Hamilton yet. I might make it my next purchase given what I read on the wiki.
    Some really good ones. Too imaginative to be made into film and big - they are nearly 1000 page books each....usually in trilogies too! Start with Pandoras Star I would say (for commonwealth universe).

For me - better than Expanse

For Stephen Donaldson, I tried the Thomas Covenant series years ago but could never get into it. I also read Iain M Banks' Consider Phlebas and thought it was good. Didn't get on to the next books in the series but that first one is supposed to be the best.

For Stephen Donaldson, I tried the Thomas Covenant series years ago but could never get into it. I also read Iain M Banks' Consider Phlebas and thought it was good. Didn't get on to the next books in the series but that first one is supposed to be the best.
    Hard series to get into and keep at, mainly because the main character is so unrelatable and repulsive in places and the tone can be quite depressive in places. Its worth sticking with but I would imagine its a very Marmite series with opinions very varied, although I love it. I've just remembered that I still have the last one to read.

I've enjoyed all of Iain Banks' works, from 'The Wasp Factory' on, but I just couldn't get on with his sci-fi stuff... read the first, then didn't bother.

On Hyperion Cantos - came across this on it's wiki:

In 2009, Scott Derrickson was set to direct "Hyperion Cantos" for Warner Bros. and Graham King, with Trevor Sands penning the script to blend the first two cantos "Hyperion" and "The Fall of Hyperion" into one film. In 2011, actor Bradley Cooper expressed interest in taking over the adaptation. On June 10, 2015 it was announced that TV channel Syfy will produce a mini-series based on the Hyperion Cantos with the involvement of Cooper and King.

How can it do it justice?

On Hyperion Cantos - came across this on it's wiki:

In 2009, Scott Derrickson was set to direct "Hyperion Cantos" for Warner Bros. and Graham King, with Trevor Sands penning the script to blend the first two cantos "Hyperion" and "The Fall of Hyperion" into one film. In 2011, actor Bradley Cooper expressed interest in taking over the adaptation. On June 10, 2015 it was announced that TV channel Syfy will produce a mini-series based on the Hyperion Cantos with the involvement of Cooper and King.

How can it do it justice?
    I haven't got much further into the first Hyperion book but I don't think a movie adaptation would necessarily be so bad. Another one of my favorite authors is David Mitchell. I enjoyed number9dream, especially. His books often contain multiple storylines, time shifts and parallel continuums.. They made his third novel, Cloud Atlas, into a movie and I thought it captured a lot of the atmosphere and style of the book.

A bit of recent news passed me by.....

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-seven-sisters

Gaiman writing the sequel to Neverwhere!

Just finished reading Neverwhere for the first time and absolutely loved it!

A bit of recent news passed me by.....

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-seven-sisters

Gaiman writing the sequel to Neverwhere!

Just finished reading Neverwhere for the first time and absolutely loved it!
    Funny how people connect - was listening to a song in a game called 'Life is Strange' - looked up the singer and found she was married to Gaiman. #Random.

On the subject of Gaiman, just started reading Anansi Boys.

Very good, funny stuff so far

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    I've enjoyed all of Iain Banks' works, from 'The Wasp Factory' on, but I just couldn't get on with his sci-fi stuff... read the first, then didn't bother.
    I was the opposite, loved all the sci fi stuff and not the rest.
    I love a book that has me going back over stuff to get a good picture of it in my head !

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post

Next on my list after American Gods! I picked up a load of second hand Gaiman books off ebay after reading a couple of his books over the years but not having the time to read them. Loving it so far, no idea why its taken me so long!

Next on my list after American Gods! I picked up a load of second hand Gaiman books off ebay after reading a couple of his books over the years but not having the time to read them. Loving it so far, no idea why its taken me so long!
    Oh yes great book that, you'll likely love it. Touch of the Clive Barker's about it.

Yeah same with Gaiman, only read a few but American Gods was awesome so grabbing a few more soon.

Just finished "Finders Keepers" by Stephen King which was is the second book after Mr Mercedes in the Bill Hodges trilogy.

I really enjoyed it actually, I thought the way the story was written was really good, one of the best books I've read in a while which means I have just started the third book in the trilogy "End of Watch"

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post

After blasting through American Gods (Loved it), I'm on Anansi Boys now, so far so good.

Gonna try and read a book a week this summer.

Gonna start Growing Up Absurd by Paul Goodman tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Just finished "Finders Keepers" by Stephen King which was is the second book after Mr Mercedes in the Bill Hodges trilogy.

I really enjoyed it actually, I thought the way the story was written was really good, one of the best books I've read in a while which means I have just started the third book in the trilogy "End of Watch"
    Quite enjoyed that.

After blasting through American Gods (Loved it), I'm on Anansi Boys now, so far so good.
    Ah great stuff, how you finding it? Not long finished reading that and was a decent read, funny and much lighter feel to it.

I been talking about It a lot with the film due in September so have started reading that, again! Been years so loving it.

Also got a Philip Palmer book to read, love his sci-fi stuff

Douglas Murray - The Death of Europe. Oh crumbs, this thread will probably be shut down now.

grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    Douglas Murray - The Death of Europe. Oh crumbs, this thread will probably be shut down now.
    I'd actually rather like to read that. I rather enjoy listening to Douglas Murray on a number of topics even if I may disagree with his conclusions a lot of the time.

Currently ready Chapterhouse Dune. The sixth and last book of the Dune series. Found the first 3 books riveting, the next 3 have been more of a slog to be honest. But I've come too far not to finish it. I've also just got "23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism" by Ha-Joon Chang.