Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: *The Book Thread - Name the book you're reading and rate the last book you read*

Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    First one is great (8/10), but couldn't get into the second. FYI - they made a film of the first one - Steven Sommers, the Director, is a fan (interesting take on the Bodachs!). Really strange when you watch a film after reading the book..
    I didnt mind the second one, but the third is just a bit boring, theres quite a few more in the series so id like to get this one out of the way to see if the next one is any better before giving up completely.

Didnt know there was a film. Is it any good?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by kickthetyres View Post
    Same here. Finding it hard going though, how about you?
    I generally have difficulty reading books as I don't really have the time, but I have gotten into his book ok .. aside from the fact that I have already 'read' a lot of it, both on these forums and in the media. Only about 50 pages in though due to being really busy though, as I said. Going on holiday later this moth, I hope to read another 50 pages

Just finished a great read, 'American God's' - Neil Gaiman

Loved it, very imaginative with echoes of Clive Barker in there.

About the ancient God's battling for survival in a modern world of new gods such as entertainment, technology etc only manifest as real.

Its a supernatural show down

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    I didnt mind the second one, but the third is just a bit boring, theres quite a few more in the series so id like to get this one out of the way to see if the next one is any better before giving up completely.

Didnt know there was a film. Is it any good?
    If you've read the book then it's worth watching. I liked it. Half of it is seeing the directors idea of what the characters etc look like. I was a fan of Stormy, not so much Odd's casting!

Currently reading "Small Gods" by Terry Pratchett.

Previous book was "The Crippled God" by Steven Erikson, the final book in "The Malazan Book of the Fallen" series.

I'd rate the book itself as 4.5/5 and the series is to date the finest fantasy series on the market imo so I'd have to give that 5/5.

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post

About the ancient God's battling for survival in a modern world of new gods such as entertainment, technology etc only manifest as real.

I read that about 10 years ago, and I enjoyed it too. It is very redolent of Clive Barker's "Great And Secret Show" and "Galilee" yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by thespeedoghost View Post
    I read that about 10 years ago, and I enjoyed it too. It is very redolent of Clive Barker's "Great And Secret Show" and "Galilee" yeah.
    I loved that book, must read that again

Yeah, good book, wanted to do a USA road trip following some of it! Would give that 8/10. Not sure what genre it would go into though...

The Martian- Andy Weir 9/10

The movie does justice to the book.

Finished reading 'The Kind Worth Killing' by Peter Swanson,found it a lot more interesting than 'Code of Conduct' by Brad Thor.
    Peter Swanson makes sure you stay glued to the book and the characters are strong and intense.

Rating - 3.8/5

After reading fiction back to back,moving onto to Non-fiction.Just got myself a book which i have been waiting to read for a long time.

Title - No Place to Hide.
    Author - Glenn Greenwald.
    Classification - Non Fiction.
    Synopsis - It's a book about the whole covert surveillance done by the NSA with inputs coming in from Edward Snowden.

Quote Originally Posted by kipg9n View Post
    The Martian- Andy Weir 9/10

The movie does justice to the book.
    I have both the book and film - not worth doing both?

grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    I really enjoyed "Fermats Last Theorem" by Simon Singh. Thought it was great. So now I've started reading "Big Bang" by the same author. He makes science and mathematics fun and enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by grevsmoker View Post
    I really enjoyed "Fermats Last Theorem" by Simon Singh. Thought it was great. So now I've started reading "Big Bang" by the same author. He makes science and mathematics fun and enjoyable
    If you like that, consider the never ending days of being dead by Marcus Chown - easy to read physics

grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    If you like that, consider the never ending days of being dead by Marcus Chown - easy to read physics
    Cheers mate. I'll definitely look into it

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

If you want a book that guarantees you'll never be the same as before, after reading it, this is it.

Yeah, good book, wanted to do a USA road trip following some of it! Would give that 8/10. Not sure what genre it would go into though...
    Yeah thats a good point on the genre, a mix of all sorts in there.

Great story telling with so many background stories throughout, the various old Gods in particular

Acumen is online now First team regular
    House of Leaves

Mark Danielewski

Greetings everyone!
    I have read a book recently,i learned a lot from this book,its name is :The Word Appears in the Flesh
    I was under a lot of strain at work three years ago,working pressure Tendency to leave a positive impact,so i had lost lots of interests and passions during that time,gradually,i even could not feel the beauty of life,and lost the power to move forward,it doesn't make sense to do anything.Later,i happened to hear Almighty God's utterance on website which made me got the answer why i became so empty and lost,and it also rescued me from the empty.Since then,i begin to find direction to move on.The power of God's word is so great!Thank God!Only God can give us a correct direction in the world.Share it with you.
    http://www.holyspiritspeaks.org/god-...f-all-mankind/

Quote Originally Posted by 12345jane View Post
    Greetings everyone!
    I have read a book recently,i learned a lot from this book,its name is :The Word Appears in the Flesh
    I was under a lot of strain at work three years ago,working pressure Tendency to leave a positive impact,so i had lost lots of interests and passions during that time,gradually,i even could not feel the beauty of life,and lost the power to move forward,it doesn't make sense to do anything.Later,i happened to hear Almighty God's utterance on website which made me got the answer why i became so empty and lost,and it also rescued me from the empty.Since then,i begin to find direction to move on.The power of God's word is so great!Thank God!Only God can give us a correct direction in the world.Share it with you.
    That's all good and well but God never wrote a sequel to his rather long classic, The Bible, lazy...

In fact he used a pile of ghost writers to write his book and not till thousands of years after the fictional events in some cases

Still, a notable book in the field of fiction

Quote Originally Posted by 12345jane View Post
    Greetings everyone!
    What rubbish in the link just like the Nazi Youth Of Hitler's days, those who don't follow him have it coming, e.g. - Luke 19:27 - "But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me.'" and Revelation 2:23 "I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds."

But Christ rules like a evil man or evil king, killing them who don't follow him, if Christ is real, it's about time that nasty git of heaven and earth losers his throne forevermore.

The bible was wrote by Jewish sects to control the world around them and the promise of a Christ is just another Jewish sect, but it is ok for the Jews to kill for their people, but not a man like Hitler ? - which we all know, it's wrong both ways.

Plus there was no Adam and Eve, the universe was not made perfect, there as always been life and death for billions of years on earth, when did mankind fall from god ?

More than likely there was no fall anyway.

There was death on earth, before our group known by the name humanity even walked the earth, e.g. dinosaurs where dying of cancer and other stuff, cancer is in the animal kingdom as well, so sorry there was no perfect universe without life and death, the earth's history shows this in nature, the Christian faith falls apart, because there was no fall, plus their king's not worthy to rule anyway, because of the above follow me or I will kill you.

Everyone can have their beliefs, but I am a pagan now forevermore or if death is the real truth of the universe from start to finish, then that is the way it is, plus I believe the universe was never perfect at any point in the past, I believe in light and darkness in nature and life and death, but I will never kneel to such a king like Yahweh, if he is real ?

Because his no better than Hitler in my eyes forevermore, Christ Jesus should die forevermore, because of his own darkness and evil in him, how he rules is not even spiritual or loving, he seems to rule like a evil man would do likewise on earth .

Why is this, because the most rubbish book in human history was wrote by very evil men who where nutter Jews, who backed up their own evil words to control those who believe in a god in the sky or universe/heaven, if that god is real, then the universe as a rubbish ruler, his like the bad guy in Flash Gordon - link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmrHTdXgK4 - yes, my link is fiction - but shows what the so called good god is like to those who don't believe in him - which I would never believe in him ever again, I think his a evil git, if his real.

Somebody as to fight him/Christ Jesus and say no more, well I am that man to free myself from his evil rule forevermore, because I want my human rights, liberty and freedom to find love with a woman forevermore, but I don't think I will have to fight Christ Jesus, because it is a "if" if his real anyway.

I have turned my back on the Christian faith that rules with so called love and a lot of fear, why, because of what the Christ is himself in my eye's a evil git from start to finish, Christ done it for power and to govern the universe and backs his kingdom up by force of arms, so his not worthy of my loyalty or love forevermore, I am only a man and a disabled man at that, but I am more worthy than such a evil king of heaven and earth in the bible.

Plus I would put a woman before him or it, because I would get my personal happiness in the arms of woman and that is love to me, plus Christ Jesus is a murder and killer of unbelievers, his no better than the devil himself, because Christ Jesus is the greater devil in my eyes, I do call Christ Jesus, the devil in the flesh = Yahweh the evil god of heaven and earth, because he rules like a evil king or ruler on earth would rule in life, so Christ Jesus should not be the idol of children on earth who are forced to fear him from youth or die at his hands, so his not fit to govern the universe or earth, I would never kneel to such a ruler, because if Britain, France, The USA and the rest battled against Hitler's Nazi Germany for freedom and to end evil rule over Europe, then I would do like wise against a evil type king in heaven like Yahweh, I will never kneel of my own free will, but that's if the story book as any truth to it ?

Why should I have to give up family, friends or a lover e.g. girlfriend - which is personal happiness to me, give up all that just to know someone - I have no love or respect for Christ Jesus, his the devil in the flesh to me, which is my name for their Christ Jesus if he is real ?

Because I would find my happy in the arms of woman, that I love and with family and friends, no man or no woman, no government, not even god himself can make me a Christian again, so even god himself can't force me anymore, that's if any of it is true ?

Which even if any of it is true, I would still want my personal happiness, loves, human rights, liberty and freedom forevermore without such a god.

The earth was never perfect from the very start, that looks true in nature, because the age of the earth is about 4.4 to 4.6 billion years old, that's by the age of the rocks and so on - which is done by testing the earth's history and looking at nature itself.

There is light and darkness in nature, the universe was not made by a being of true light or goodness, why nature is light and darkness, simple e.g. to show my thinking, a lighter being a rabbit, a darker being a wolf, a lighter being a seal, a darker being a shark, a lighter being a fish, a darker being a seal and so on = prey and predator, that's the law of nature on earth.

I can't say that is true everywhere in the universe, because I don't know what is going on out there, but I see that law in nature on earth, that is the way of the universe and the history shows it on the planet earth, so the universe was not perfect from the start, so that kills the bible's myth of perfection at the start with there was no death to Adam and Eve sinned or upset the Nazi on high and then death entered all the universe and then death was on earth as well, because sorry, it looks like there was death in the universe from the start of time, suns died and who knows what animal life might have died out there in the universe, before the earth was even here in the milky way, I know reality in the universe is made up of light and dark things and ways in nature around us and in the universe, that we know about in today's world, but the universe is not just light ways, it is of light and darkness, that is a truth of reality for me.

Plus the bible says, god as no darkness in him, meaning evil or wrong doing in god's ways - "1 John 1:5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all" so yet again, that is untrue god as hate for unbelievers = darkness - (this is god's hate shown in Luke 19:27 and Revelation 2:23 in the above bible text in this post by me) - because a true light being knows no darkness or it's works, so sorry yet again the bible tells pokies about god, a true light being could love all over forevermore and being in love with a woman forevermore would not be a sin, but of light and love for myself and the woman who I love, but that's on a personal note for myself and my own happiness forevermore, but the bible was maybe wrote to control the common people under the state religion or religion over the common people, the bible is of man and that is of light and dark ways, but for me, it was man who made a god in his own evil image, but if that god is really out there somewhere, then what a evil god of heaven, the universe and earth, that rules us all, I hope I just die and never meet him, because his the most cruel and evil being that I ever read about in human history, he would take my hope of happiness with a woman away just to punish me forevermore, because that is the type of god, he is a wrathful one and would hurt me with the one thing that I need with all my heart, love with a human woman forevermore...

My reasoning is sound, because I know the universe is of light and dark ways around me, I am of light and dark ways as well, but I don't ever say I am perfect, but the god of the bible is not a perfect being and in the book called the bible, it says the god of the bible is perfect in all his ways - "Psalm 18:30 As for God, his way is perfect: The LORD's word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him." - but he acts like a man or woman to rule others below him with fear and punishment forevermore, which shows the god of the bible is far from being a perfect being or ruler of the universe - because a true higher being of love and light could never act in such a way to them below him/her or it, that's sound reasoning and reasoning without fear or punishment.

This is my views, opinions and thoughts on the worst book ever wrote in human history the bible, so don't buy the first book, because it gives money to the followers of that evil way to keep that book alive on earth, I never want to see a second book in that evil god's name on earth, if one was ever wrote for god again it would sadden me.

So seeing this is a book rating thread, my rating of the bible is 0/10, I've read it and seen the evil god in it - which is man who is the evil god writing the book in my opinion, but even if that god in the bible is really in heaven, there is still nothing good or holy about the book, it's just a local Arab/Jewish god that took over the world, because men, women, rulers and governments could use the text to keep people in fear forevermore, so that is back on topic about book rating - I rate it, the most evil book ever wrote in human history, I'll be honest, my brother had a fire in our back garden about a year or so ago, I burnt every bible, that we had in the house to say, I am finished with that way of living in fear of Yahweh forevermore, that is my view of the bible in life and forevermore and funny enough Hitler burnt books in his rule on earth, which my brother said to me at the time, it remind him of that time in human history, but I told him, I would only burn the True Hitler of all Hitler's book or his evil word or writing, so Yahweh is the Hitler of heaven and earth, I burnt his Nazi word and took off his Nazi uniform that day and will never worship his Nazi Son Christ Jesus in life or over forevermore, but that's if there is any truth in the story in the first place.

Sorry to the OP, I don't want to bring a good thread down, so will not say anything else on the issue about the bible, so this is my one post reviewing a rubbish best seller, it's a best seller for the fear factor in my opinion, if god is almighty he does not need a speaker for him on earth in my opinion, it shows a weakness of god, he is too powerful to be with his own children who fear him like a little child fears a drunken daddy coming in on a Friday night who then beats mummy and then the little child in the corner of his bedroom trying to hide from daddy and then daddy says, he loves them both the next day, the both of them should go far away from the drunken animal who rules with power and control over them both, which as nothing to do with love or light, god is not a good daddy end of story.

Here is another fictional link to make my point again about the Hebrew nutter god on high, if you question god, it comes with a punishment or if you don't put faith in god it comes with a punishment or if I want to love a woman or anything more than god it comes with a punishment forevermore, now if god is real, please just die Yahweh and take your cruel son Christ Jesus with you, because your both too cruel to be my daddy or elder brother, so god, if your real, will you please just die, your evil, that's if your real and let me be free and happy forevermore with a human woman who is my girlfriend, my family and few a friends who care about me, that should never have been a sin in the first place to be honest to everybody on here, I doubt any god by the name of Yahweh, that is the most cruel being ever in human history for me and I hope he is a fictional being as well, because his a evil monster on high, if his real to be honest about it - link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9sqkahSziU

So once again, I say sorry to the OP, but I could not just sit and read posts about the book and not give my own review of that evil book on earth and it's evil lord and king, let's hope he is a fictional being, because the worrying thing is, he will always have loyalists in humanity who don't seem to see, if the lord was a man, he would not be a very good leader or king of the people by the bible text that would rule his ways of governing the people on earth, he would be a tyrant of a man or leader, which makes me sad of heart, that people are still that blinded by the lord, maybe just for the thought of having everlasting life buys them or other reasons, which makes them give up their beliefs in human rights, liberty's and freedom's, instead of speak out against the evil king, maybe out of fear of him, they give that up and go under a dictator's/tyrant's kingdom forevermore and they stand and watch their evil king murder those who don't want him to be king, which is very evil of them as well, but I must be honest with everyone, if everlasting life is a reality, I should be to find love with a human woman and even marry over everlasting life, in a true kingdom of light, love, human rights, human liberty's and true human freedom's, if them human rights, liberty's or freedom's are took away from me, then death is the better option in my case for me, because I would just be living forevermore just for the sake of it and everlasting life would have no joy or happiness for me, but that's only "if" everlasting life was a reality in the first place...
    Last edited by 10Elfrates; 18-12-15 at 15:33.

11/22/63

8/10

One of Kings recent best, I love the whole butterfly effect and you can tell a lot of research has had to go into this book. A really good read.

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Revival-Stephen King 8/10.
    Couldn't put it down,read the whole book in a day.

Last book I read was NYPD Red 2 by James Patterson. I'd say it's a 7/10 book: it isn't going to raise your IQ much, but it is a page turner. To be honest, some of it I thought was slightly implausible, both in terms of plot and characterisation, but it's an easy read. I ploughed through it while on honeymoon. Perfect beach reading.

About to embark on the Stevie G version of 'My Story'. Honestly, can't they ever think up an original title?? Got loads more lined up. Couple of those mentioned above sound interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    Revival-Stephen King 8/10.
    Couldn't put it down,read the whole book in a day.
    I've heard it's brilliant. Going to read it after Under the Dome I think.

Quote Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
    Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

If you want a book that guarantees you'll never be the same as before, after reading it, this is it.
    Have always wanted to read that. Might take it around India with me in a fortnight.
    Have recently finished Tess of the D'urbervilles and now picking and mixing extracts from Stevie's autobiography.

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    I've heard it's brilliant. Going to read it after Under the Dome I think.
    Love Stephen King.
    The only one of his books I never finished was Doctor Sleep,couldn't get into it at all.

Fantastic book but also have a look at Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. Two brothers who didn't know each other existed, brought together after their father who is a spider god passes away. Kind of a follow on from American Gods though not necessarily a #2, it's even a stand alone novel in its own right.

My favourite book.

There is a TV adaptation finally happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbiefella View Post
    Fantastic book but also have a look at Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. Two brothers who didn't know each other existed, brought together after their father who is a spider god passes away. Kind of a follow on from American Gods though not necessarily a #2, it's even a stand alone novel in its own right.
    You have good taste.

Have you read Neverwhere?

When I was a kid I used to watch Sharpe with my dad all the time. I love that show so much.

Anyway, in the summer I had this sudden urge to buy all of the books. I headed over to ebay and someone had massively under-priced the entire series. I managed to get all 24 books in great condition for 10.

Couldn't believe my luck. Anyway, I've now started on my long journey to read them all.
    Last edited by PHIL.; 1-2-16 at 21:52.