Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: *The Book Thread - Name the book you're reading and rate the last book you read*

kickthetyres is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PHIL. View Post
    When I was a kid I used to watch Sharpe with my dad all the time. I love that show so much.

Anyway, in the summer I had this sudden urge to buy all of the books. I header over to ebay and someone had massively under-priced the entire series. I managed to get all 24 books in great condition for 10.

Couldn't believe my luck. Anyway, I've now started on my long journey to read them all.
    Never really got into Sharp, mum was an avid reader though.

Used to read a lot of Wilbur Smith, his earlier books were absolutely brilliant but he went through a rather insipid period littering his books with cheap smut that was largely unnecessary. Nor read his recent work but apparently he's recovered some of his old panache.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by kickthetyres View Post
    Never really got into Sharp, mum was an avid reader though.

Used to read a lot of Wilbur Smith, his earlier books were absolutely brilliant but he went through a rather insipid period littering his books with cheap smut that was largely unnecessary. Nor read his recent work but apparently he's recovered some of his old panache.
    Have you seen the TV show mate?

I will have a look at Wilbur Smith. Any recommendation?

Have you seen the TV show mate?

I will have a look at Wilbur Smith. Any recommendation?
    Yeah I saw the TV series but never got round to the books.

Smith wrote primarily about South Africa and Africa in general. His early works focussed on the Courtney family, When the Lion Feeds, The Sound of Thunder and A Sparrow falls had me hooked at an early age. He has another family set of books about the Ballantyne family starting with A Falcon Flies. He manages to cross the families lives throughout the books as one meets the other through the course of history.

But, there are two books of his that I'd thoroughly recommend.

The Sunbird, a brilliant book in which Smith explores the parallel lives of an ancient African ruler and his young aide, and the modern day archaeologist who is researching the rulers life and his own personal assistant.

The Eagle In The Sky - The story of an Israeli pilot during the Israel/Egypt war. Set aside the politics of the situation, its an absolutely stunning and moving read.

When I was a kid I used to watch Sharpe with my dad all the time. I love that show so much.

Anyway, in the summer I had this sudden urge to buy all of the books. I headed over to ebay and someone had massively under-priced the entire series. I managed to get all 24 books in great condition for 10.

Couldn't believe my luck. Anyway, I've now started on my long journey to read them all.
    I finished reading them all last year. Even if you don't like the TV show the books are an excellent read. Bernard Cornwell has a fantastic way of immersing the reader into his stories.

Enjoy.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

I am STILL reading the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan and I'm on Crossroads of Twilight (Book 10 out of 14). This series is HUGE and is taking me forever. Still loving it though. Thanks to whoever recommended it to me on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    I finished reading them all last year. Even if you don't like the TV show the books are an excellent read. Bernard Cornwell has a fantastic way of immersing the reader into his stories.

Enjoy.
    I absolutely love the TV show.

Hammering my way through Sharpe's Tiger right now, and loving every second of it.

I do find myself wondering how I would have imagined this character had I not watched the shows so many times beforehand. Sharpe certainly does look like Sean Bean in my head.

I am STILL reading the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan and I'm on Crossroads of Twilight (Book 10 out of 14). This series is HUGE and is taking me forever. Still loving it though. Thanks to whoever recommended it to me on here.
    I've read that entire series three times.

Although the last three books I've only read once, such was the delay in the later books being released. Such was my sadness at finishing it all, I actually went back and read Eye of the World again straight away. I recommended it to somebody on here some time ago, not sure if it was you, but glad to see somebody else enjoying them as much as I did.

Absolutely phenomenal piece of work. I did find the first time that it slowed down a lot and had a lot of extra unnecessary filler in books 9 & 10, but oddly when I read them again I enjoyed them a lot more.

Sad that Jordan died before finishing his masterpiece, but Brandon Sanderson did a great job in finishing it using Jordan's notes.

It's been a few years since my last read through of them, so I think I'm due another run through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Cutlers-Thumb View Post
    I've read that entire series three times.

Although the last three books I've only read once, such was the delay in the later books being released. Such was my sadness at finishing it all, I actually went back and read Eye of the World again straight away. I recommended it to somebody on here some time ago, not sure if it was you, but glad to see somebody else enjoying them as much as I did.

Absolutely phenomenal piece of work. I did find the first time that it slowed down a lot and had a lot of extra unnecessary filler in books 9 & 10, but oddly when I read them again I enjoyed them a lot more.

Sad that Jordan died before finishing his masterpiece, but Brandon Sanderson did a great job in finishing it using Jordan's notes.

It's been a few years since my last read through of them, so I think I'm due another run through them.
    I know what you mean about filler, not a lot is happening at the moment (I guess just before the rebels attack the white tower). Still, its a cracker and I cant recommend it highly enough. Only issue I have is the vast cast of characters with some people having multiple names/incarnations. I think I'll start over again when I've finished.

I've read other series' and they just don't hook you like this does. I remember trying to get through the Robert Ludlam Bourne books and it just turned into an agonising slog.

I think I was talking about books similar to The Song of Ice and Fire books and this was recommended, if that's any clue.

The New Testament. Only book I can find comfort in right now.

I know what you mean about filler, not a lot is happening at the moment (I guess just before the rebels attack the white tower). Still, its a cracker and I cant recommend it highly enough. Only issue I have is the vast cast of characters with some people having multiple names/incarnations. I think I'll start over again when I've finished.

I've read other series' and they just don't hook you like this does. I remember trying to get through the Robert Ludlam Bourne books and it just turned into an agonising slog.

I think I was talking about books similar to The Song of Ice and Fire books and this was recommended, if that's any clue.
    Yeah that sounds familiar, maybe it was me so.

I know what you mean about the names, I often found myself going to the glossary at the back to try and find out who was who.

The only book I've read that was more confusing in terms of character names, was Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Almost a thousand characters, all with Chinese names that look/sound similar.

Total mind **** that book.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Cutlers-Thumb View Post
    Yeah that sounds familiar, maybe it was me so.

I know what you mean about the names, I often found myself going to the glossary at the back to try and find out who was who.

The only book I've read that was more confusing in terms of character names, was Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Almost a thousand characters, all with Chinese names that look/sound similar.

Total mind **** that book.
    That's where I fall down. I downloaded them on my Kindle and navigating that ancient piece of rubbish is next to impossible without losing my place.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms? The closest I got to that is playing Dynasty Warriors.

That's where I fall down. I downloaded them on my Kindle and navigating that ancient piece of rubbish is next to impossible without losing my place.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms? The closest I got to that is playing Dynasty Warriors.
    Yeah that's what made me want to read them, to get more of the story. Tough to get through but definitely worth the time.

For any readers of the Expanse series of Sci fi books (James Corey Leviathan Awakes etc), apparently they are making a TV series. It has not come to the UK yet but is in the US...thought i would share!

aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Last book read, some Oasis book my brother bought me, I've got Wiggos latest book to read.

Normally I love autobiographies

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Floating Dragon-Peter Straub.
    Fourth time I've read it.

Currently reading The Lord Of The Rings again (for the second time).

Quote Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
    Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

If you want a book that guarantees you'll never be the same as before, after reading it, this is it.
    I think The Brothers Karamazov is probably better. I really enjoyed the BBC TV adaptation of Crime and Punishment, though, with John Simm.

This thread has a lot of good sci-fi suggestions that I will have to check out. Anything by Philip K **** is fantastic.. Ubik, Three Stigmata, and A Scanner Darkly stand out.. I also really enjoyed Julian May as a kid and the Saga of Pliocene Exile series. Neuromancer, and the follow ups by William Gibson (Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive) are great to read..

Quote Originally Posted by kenyanstar View Post
    I think The Brothers Karamazov is probably better. I really enjoyed the BBC TV adaptation of Crime and Punishment, though, with John Simm.

This thread has a lot of good sci-fi suggestions that I will have to check out. Anything by Philip K **** is fantastic.. Ubik, Three Stigmata, and A Scanner Darkly stand out.. I also really enjoyed Julian May as a kid and the Saga of Pliocene Exile series. Neuromancer, and the follow ups by William Gibson (Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive) are great to read..
    Ha, my go to books when I was a mid-teen. William Gibson in particular really fired my imagination.

I think it was reading Gibson that got me into desktop roleplaying. Good times.

Ha, my go to books when I was a mid-teen. William Gibson in particular really fired my imagination.

I think it was reading Gibson that got me into desktop roleplaying. Good times.
    Are you one of those WH40000K people? I started reading the first of the Horus Heresy books last year - really interesting and might carry them on.

Anyway, in the summer I had this sudden urge to buy all of the books. I headed over to ebay and someone had massively under-priced the entire series. I managed to get all 24 books in great condition for 10.

Completely in love with the Sharpe series - tv & books. 10 for all the books?! Tuck in mate!

'Sharpe's Company' is my favourite (book and show) of the series. The writing describing the attacks on the breach....wow. Fueled my obsession with Badajoz ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    Are you one of those WH40000K people? I started reading the first of the Horus Heresy books last year - really interesting and might carry them on.
    Dabbled in it but not seriously. I was more into DnD, Rifts, Cathulu, GURPS, Masquerade etc etc type games with a bit of LARPing thrown in.

Dabbled in it but not seriously. I was more into DnD, Rifts, Cathulu, GURPS, Masquerade etc etc type games with a bit of LARPing thrown in.
    Ok, I have not idea what the rest of that is!

There was a time when I laughed at desktop gamers, but over the last few years I have seen games take over entire pubs near me, people having a great time, and often feel a little jealous!

grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    Can anyone recomend a good historical fiction author?

Quote Originally Posted by grevsmoker View Post
    You cant go far wrong with Bernard Cornwell.

grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Mettatron View Post
    You cant go far wrong with Bernard Cornwell.
    Cheers. I'll definitely check him out.

Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    Black library did a good thing there.
    But avoid some of the authors writing 40k. Like goto

Give H.P. Lovecraft a try.
    He wrote call of cthulu.
    My recommendation is "the case of Charles dexter ward"
    Many fan sites out there with free access to his books and short stories

Quote Originally Posted by grevsmoker View Post
    Try Ken Follett as well. The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End are both brilliant reads about medieval England.

Quote Originally Posted by kickthetyres View Post
    Try Ken Follett as well. The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End are both brilliant reads about medieval England.
    Good Tv adaptation too.

I'm not sure how many people in here read graphic novels, but I've just finished reading the first two trades of Outcast and it's very good. It's by Robert Kirkman, who is the guy who gave the world The Walking Dead comics.