Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: *The Book Thread - Name the book you're reading and rate the last book you read*

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Just finished Revival by Stephen King, loved it. But then I'm a massive King fanboy.

Just started Before the fall by Noah Rawley. Only a couple of chapters in so don't have to much of an opinion on it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    I read Revival for the second time about six weeks ago,for some reason I couldn't remember a thing about it.
    I forgot about this book.

Electricity and that with a terrifyingly depressing visual ending?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post

Yeah,it's pretty bleak.

Nice one my friend I'll check that out, could do with another Gaimon fix. I really like messed up
    Well you have this vision of Thor probably largely based on Marvel (if you are like me) but in the Sagas him and the other Norse gods are a bunch of narcissistic double crossing arse holes. I loved it
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    Well you have this vision of Thor probably largely based on Marvel (if you are like me) but in the Sagas him and the other Norse gods are a bunch of narcissistic double crossing arse holes. I loved it
    Right you've sold it to me! Narcissistic trickster Gods are my cup of tea!

I got to start a new little list of books ready for Christmas so it's added

Right you've sold it to me! Narcissistic trickster Gods are my cup of tea!

I got to start a new little list of books ready for Christmas so it's added
    I've got a few on the wish list with the one I'm most excited about being a graphic novel based on the songs of Nick Cave (Mercy on Me). https://shop.nickcave.com/products/n...ve-mercy-on-me

Got to be a must for any fan of his work.

Yeah it's a weird one for sure. The character development was excellent though. I really didn't know how to feel for Jacobs in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by PHIL. View Post
    Thank you very much! I'll be getting started on those asap
    No bother mate, hope you like them, especially "The Gap" there's no more deflating feeling than a response of 'meh' to a recommendation of a much loved book, film or album; let me know either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    The love the Gap series, I must have read it close to 20 times (I have a very bad memory for books so tend to re-read stuff I like and donate stuff I don't), I will never get rid of my Donaldson Books.

Theres 1 I picked up a while ago from Joe Haldeman, a Physicist who fought in Vietnam and brought that experience back to the real world to write the Forever War Series. There's been a film being written for god knows how long adapting it but still no significant movement. The series is just excellent though.

Also the Expanse is a good read with a lot of thought into the universe although not as "technical" as Donaldson or Haldeman. Its the science that brings it to life for me.
    Well met El Oader, before I proceed, this arrangement of your name is aesthetically pleasing and adds gravitas to your cyber countenance, use it hence, if you wish.
    Now in case Phil is perusing this fine thread, we mustn't say too much re "The Gap" but if there's a more hilariously loathsome hero in fiction, than Angus, I haven't come across him yet. Actually now that I think of it, it's been too long since our last encounter, it's time I was reacquainted with his especial charms. Truthfully mate, although I'm not the biggest sci-fi fan- "The Gap" is a keeper, btw I'd be curious to get your take on "Covenant" have you read the last chronicles yet?
    And thank's for the recommendation, I'll be adding Haldeman to my already gargantuan list.

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Yeah it's a weird one for sure. The character development was excellent though. I really didn't know how to feel for Jacobs in the end.
    It's bad I forgot this book really. I've read so much of King over the years & that end, though a sinking pit in the stomach feel, was quality. Not what I expected but it worked.

I think Jacob was desperate like so many of us to beat mortality, but also had a prophet or leader desire, so leaped on & advocated his discoveries way too early & denied all the worrying & potentially fatal side effects of his 'miracles.'

My take based on memory anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Hue View Post
    Well met El Oader, before I proceed, this arrangement of your name is aesthetically pleasing and adds gravitas to your cyber countenance, use it hence, if you wish.
    Now in case Phil is perusing this fine thread, we mustn't say too much re "The Gap" but if there's a more hilariously loathsome hero in fiction, than Angus, I haven't come across him yet. Actually now that I think of it, it's been too long since our last encounter, it's time I was reacquainted with his especial charms. Truthfully mate, although I'm not the biggest sci-fi fan- "The Gap" is a keeper, btw I'd be curious to get your take on "Covenant" have you read the last chronicles yet?
    And thank's for the recommendation, I'll be adding Haldeman to my already gargantuan list.
    Such a way with words although the truth of the nick name is far more mundane.

I came upon Stephen Donaldson quite late so the Covenant Chronicles had already completed a 2nd outing. He's a fantastic story teller but there are many dark tones in the first two which can take a lot of bulldozing to get through especially in the 2nd chronicles where about of third of the series is taken up with a very depressive storyline, a lot more so than the Gap Series, so I don't really read them as much as the Gap. The last chronicles I found largely confusing tbh because there was such a gap between the books I inevitably lost the thread. I decided to just quit the series until I had more time and the series had been completed. I was only thinking the other day that I'd have to start it over again but we've still not unpacked most of the books after the last move.

Just started Saints Of New York by R J Ellory.

Workers Councils - Anton Pannekoek.

Brilliant stuff.

It puts modern day politics into perspective.

City Of Lies-R J Ellory.

He's done better and I saw one of the 'twists' coming a mile off.

Watched ‘The Last Kingdom’ series on tv and really liked it so downloaded books. The Saxon Series (about 10 books) and i’m Hooked! Loving it so far and spend all my time (what I can manage anyway) reading the books.

Highly recommended

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    Watched ‘The Last Kingdom’ series on tv and really liked it so downloaded books. The Saxon Series (about 10 books) and i’m Hooked! Loving it so far and spend all my time (what I can manage anyway) reading the books.

Highly recommended
    I love that series but that last one or two have been quite a step back in quality. I think he ran our of famous Vikings for him to face off against.

The Innocent Man: John Grisham.
    A true story;I'd say it's hard to believe but you know,the police and all that.

About a quarter of the way through Shogun, by James Clavell. Incredibly dense plotting, I've been taking too long a break between reads and it can be hard to remember what has happened. Enjoying it though.

Plz dont laugh I am reading Paul Mckenna "I can make you sleep" I don't have trouble sleeping, but sometimes I am in situations when I need to fall asleep fast, cos of weird shift work I do. The guy is amazing, the book contains a hypnosis audio that 99% of the time knocks me out and when I wake up I feel extremely drowsy for a few hours after lol. Anyways it is actually a great, great read.

Read Dwarves collection by Markus Heitz

I Know It Gets bad reviews and has the feeling of Lord of the Rings

As a pleasant read to it though

Finished dj Molles remaining series which was good

Ready to other books for can't remember the names

Struggling to get into Elizabeth moon Paladin legacy even though enjoy reading it

Cartes Postales from Greece by Victoria Hislop.

She is the wife of Ian Hislop, (Private Eye,) and has encyclopaedic knowledge of Greece, it's people and it's customs. First stumbled across her books a few years ago when on holiday and bought my wife "The Island," which is about a former leprosy colony in Greece. When she finished it, she passed it on to me, as I have visited Greece many times on business, and had been to many of the places mentioned in the book. Couldn't put it down. Definitely one of the most interesting books I have ever read and would recommend it to anybody. Her subsequent novels are also excellent, and well worth reading.