Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: *The Book Thread - Name the book you're reading and rate the last book you read*

Quote Originally Posted by DidiDidIt View Post
    Enid Blyton- Up the Faraway Tree. *********** epic. 10/10
    I talk to people about Faraway Tree no one had heard of the books,

classic from my childhood loved it

Moonface, The Saucepan Man and so on

Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulHistory View Post
    I talk to people about Faraway Tree no one had heard of the books,

classic from my childhood loved it

Moonface, The Saucepan Man and so on

Ah yes!! Silky the fairy (we all had a thing for her), Dame Washalot as well, tipping her sudsy water down the tree, guwaawn Dame Washer girl!!!

Interesting fact, over the years some names had to be changed, Fanny and D ICK became Frannie and Rick. Dame Slap became Dame Snap
    Last edited by DidiDidIt; 3-11-16 at 11:59.

Quote Originally Posted by DidiDidIt View Post
    Ah yes!! Silky the fairy (we all had a thing for her), Dame Washalot as well, tipping her sudsy water down the tree, guwaawn Dame Washer girl!!!

Interesting fact, over the years some names had to be changed, Fanny and D ICK became Frannie and Rick. Dame Slap became Dame Snap
    Didn't realise that the characters changed over time, as I can only remember bits of the stories as I was a very little kid reading the book.

Thanks for sharing a wonderful memories, truly great book for children

Try to remember at school we had a library will take books home to read only book can remember the name of Griffin Pirate Stories
    by Sheila K. McCullagh (Author), which also enjoyed as a kid

There was another book series about the future, spaceships planets and so on but can't remember the life of me what it was called

trying to do some research on the Aliens novels chronology, not go so well

now just finished volume one Omnibus/Aliens: Earth Hive /Aliens: Nightmare Asylum /Aliens: The Female War

these books are should take place after a alien movie three,

But reading the books there's hint that Resurrection should have been in front those books, as well

One of my pet hates is a writer who leads you to a path which could tie everything together and then totally vanishes from the rest books

as I can not remember which book Earth Hive / Nightmare Asylum starts talk about the engineers who made the aliens, who then help humans out and then wait to see who is the winner when humans try to regain their planet

Very confusing

7 out 10

Just ordered Aliens: Genocide , Aliens: Labyrinth , Aliens: Rogue
    try my best to keep the books in chronology but missed out on Aliens: Alien Harvest as is the terrible reviews and didn't seem worthwhile buying

The Faraway Tree. 10/10 - at least! I think that got me into reading. Saucepan man drove me crackers but Silky was lovely. Read it to my son and my grandson is starting to read it now.
    Last edited by TheLeftSide; 10-11-16 at 19:22.

Try my best to read the alien books in order, finding it very confused universe

The films franchise with predator don't match timeline

I don't know about the comics but probably they don't match any timeline either

What I've known the films that engineers make humans- predators teach primitive humans then aliens were introduced into primitive humans where the predators wiped out the basic human settlement and the aliens- then the predators started hunting humans, for a long time

Then far far in the future humans find engineer ship with alien on-board, humans having no knowledge of predators,

The books I've read so far Earth Hive which takes place after aliens three where alien infects the whole earth, the next two Aliens Nightmare Asylum , Aliens: The Female War books I've also read lead to events

That Ripley is introduced and then crusade to wipe out the aliens on Earth by going the planet where it seems when the aliens home world & kidnapped Queen of Queens the alien sets a nuclear bomb on Earth ,

Like I said previous thought all three books were good but there was some very confusing concept going on with that explanation

1) Engineer briefly mentioned in one of the books are no more mention going on
    2) how did Ripley end up on earth and then find out later that she might have been robot
    3) now I might have missed explanation but I was full aliens had to grow from an egg to a host and then to be born whole,
    but on the alien home world they fully grown aliens without any hosts

================================================== ========================

now I've finished Aliens: Genocide

this book takes place in the future after the nuclear bomb on Earth,

most the book is about a billionaire businessmen going bankrupt having sexual feelings every five seconds and trying get with commanding officer on the mission,

The action takes place too late in the book and not enough of it

and again very confusing what happened to Ripley as they make a mini reference about her making clones herself

So I give the book 5 out 10

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Just back from my hols;read the following books while I was away: Black And Blue by Ian Rankin,Tatiana by Martin Cruz Smith,The Blue Hour by Jefferson Parker,Blind Eye by Stuart MacBride,Even Dogs In The Wild by Ian Rankin and Doctor Sleep by Stephen King.
    I'd give them all a solid 8/10 except for the Stephen King book.Normally love his stuff but I couldn't get into this at all.

Just finished Big Brother by Lionel Shriver.
    Not my usual thing but I'd give it 7/10.

wow wow wow wow

Yet again faced with poor Aliens book the labyrinth

Giving up trying to find the time linein in the books,

This book to me I might have missed explanations as it left me with more questions than answers

mad scientist trying to use Alien DNA to cross breed human & Alien, now this is where I don't was he human or android, or an Alien,

Then the second question the person is trying to kill the mad scientist right near the end of the book she showed like Ripley in Resurrection, that she could control drones and had tremendous strength and power and you can read minds what the hell why that was dropped in the book by the end with no explanation and then leaving you wondering where she is and the rest of the book franchise

the action is quite good though he felt like a little mouse in labyrinth

6 out 10

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulHistory View Post
    wow wow wow wow

Yet again faced with poor Aliens book the labyrinth

Giving up trying to find the time linein in the books,

This book to me I might have missed explanations as it left me with more questions than answers

mad scientist trying to use Alien DNA to cross breed human & Alien, now this is where I don't was he human or android, or an Alien,

Then the second question the person is trying to kill the mad scientist right near the end of the book she showed like Ripley in Resurrection, that she could control drones and had tremendous strength and power and you can read minds what the hell why that was dropped in the book by the end with no explanation and then leaving you wondering where she is and the rest of the book franchise

the action is quite good though he felt like a little mouse in labyrinth

6 out 10
    Someone on the internet must have done a timeline that you can check out?

If you like that scifi/canon stuff - there was a series of books i started a couple years ago (there is like 20 in the series and still going and loads of video games too i seen). First book was called 'Horus Rising', I read the first few and they were really good. Especially trying to work out the timeline and WTF led to it. I stopped because there were so many books but will go back to it when there is a conclusion (you don't have to be read each one).

Anyway, thought I would mention it as something you might like.

Eva Luna,

It is a quality little book - maybe not for everyone. 7/10

Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    Someone on the internet must have done a timeline that you can check out?

If you like that scifi/canon stuff - there was a series of books i started a couple years ago (there is like 20 in the series and still going and loads of video games too i seen). First book was called 'Horus Rising', I read the first few and they were really good. Especially trying to work out the timeline and WTF led to it. I stopped because there were so many books but will go back to it when there is a conclusion (you don't have to be read each one).

Anyway, thought I would mention it as something you might like.
    thank you about books,

put on amazon wish list.

======================

try to find Aliens timeline got one list but seem muddled up

said previous posts I don't normally do movie franchise as the books usually I find are not great

the only movie franchise books I've read what was reasonably good was the terminator series

As talked about different outcomes by changing the past, which the movies never really got the gist of that if you change one thing in the past it auditors the future

A boxing kick at present...

Reading: "A Road to Nowhere: A Journey Through Boxing's Wastelands" by Tris Dixon

Read: "Drama in the Bahamas: Muhammad Ali's Last Fight" by Dave Hannigan.
    8/10. Interesting and quick read.

Just finished 'Nocturnal Animals'-4/10.
    Really struggled to get through it.

Tons of Lovecraft, Bloch, Derleth, and Ashton-Smith short stories lately.

Cthulhu Mythos at it's mind-raping best!
    Vorsprung durch gegenpressing

Quote Originally Posted by Fight Cloob View Post
    Tons of Lovecraft, Bloch, Derleth, and Ashton-Smith short stories lately.

Cthulhu Mythos at it's mind-raping best!
    Kal mentioned it before - that good?

And did you get round to reading Hamilton - pandora star or void? I'm halfway though the second (and final) chronicle of the fallers book - keep his books are big

Kal mentioned it before - that good?

And did you get round to reading Hamilton - pandora star or void? I'm halfway though the second (and final) chronicle of the fallers book - keep his books are big
    No mate, not up for any heavy reading lately. All the Cthulhu stuff is generally short stories.

As for it's quality, I think it is pretty dark and sinister stuff (the darkness of "unseen things" and "entities from other places" type of stuff) I find the use of language, imagery and overall sense of menace lurking at the edge of reality in these stories to be their real power.

Tons of audio versions on youtube, easy to access and digest without hunting around for books...well worth dipping your toe in IMO.

Search these guys on YT, will give you a good starting point.

August Derleth
    Robert Bloch
    Clark Ashton Smith
    Arthur Machen
    Henry Kuttner
    Algernon Blackwood
    H P Lovecraft
    Last edited by Fight Cloob; 26-11-16 at 19:39.
    Vorsprung durch gegenpressing

Quote Originally Posted by Fight Cloob View Post
    No mate, not up for any heavy reading lately. All the Cthulhu stuff is generally short stories.

As for it's quality, I think it is pretty dark and sinister stuff (the darkness of "unseen things" and "entities from other places" type of stuff) I find the use of language, imagery and overall sense of menace lurking at the edge of reality in these stories to be their real power.

Tons of audio versions on youtube, easy to access and digest without hunting around for books...well worth dipping your toe in IMO.

Search these guys on YT, will give you a good starting point.

August Derleth
    Robert Bloch
    Clark Ashton Smith
    Arthur Machen
    Henry Kuttner
    Algernon Blackwood
    H P Lovecraft
    Cheers buddy!

Currently reading the Clinton Chronicles - a 7 book series by Jeffrey Archer. Completed the first 4 and have bought books 5 and 6 for the holidays .. am loving it so far, very easy reading (as most of Archers books are). I would give the entire series (so far) a solid 8/10.

Follow You Home-Mark Edwards 5/10.
    The Neighbour-Dean Koontz [short story] 6/10.
    Cold Granite-Stuart MacBride-8/10
    Dying Light-Stuart MacBride-7/10.

Just started The Wave At Hanging Rock by Gregg Dunnett.

Just finished Cold Comfort by Scott Mackay;I'd give it 8/10 even though I figured out whodunit straight away.
    Now reading Fall Guy by the same author.

Last read: 1984. I'd give it 9/10.
    Currently reading: The Kiterunner

Not reading anything for fun these days.

Reading fragments of a bunch of books around my thesis paper topic, just finished Race, Real Estate, and Uneven Development by Kevin Fox Gotham. Real interesting study on racial segregation in American cities through real estate practices.

I made time for more reading and I picked up Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Just started it, but it is really good, and friends say it gets better. The way the stories of the space pilgrims are woven is well done, and it is very easy to read. The scenes with the creature are vivid, as is the religious and mythological backdrop which I always enjoy..

Quote Originally Posted by kenyanstar View Post
    I made time for more reading and I picked up Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Just started it, but it is really good, and friends say it gets better. The way the stories of the space pilgrims are woven is well done, and it is very easy to read. The scenes with the creature are vivid, as is the religious and mythological backdrop which I always enjoy..
    Its a great book! Classic.

Its a great book! Classic.
    They say space opera genre do you recommend anything similar to this?

Just finished the Kite Runner, absolutely brilliant book. Going to start "And the mountains echoed" next, also by Khaled Hosseini