Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: *The Book Thread - Name the book you're reading and rate the last book you read*

Quote Originally Posted by Icouldhavebeensomeone View Post
    Have you tried Ian Rankin's Rebus novels?
    I have read a few thanks. I prefer The Jardine super hero cop Bob Skinner for Edinburgh coppers!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    I have read a few thanks. I prefer The Jardine super hero cop Bob Skinner for Edinburgh coppers!
    never read them but might give it a go. Rebus is great and gets much better as his character develops. He's also based in and around some of my old uni haunts so it brings back good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Icouldhavebeensomeone View Post
    never read them but might give it a go. Rebus is great and gets much better as his character develops. He's also based in and around some of my old uni haunts so it brings back good memories.
    Well Skinner (the hero) lives in Gullane and nearly all the stories are mentioning places in the Edinburgh area. Not sure why Rebus never caught me. Although I have enjoyed the stories he has done which started with the book titled "the complaints". I have read first two and enjoyed them.

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    Well Skinner (the hero) lives in Gullane and nearly all the stories are mentioning places in the Edinburgh area. Not sure why Rebus never caught me. Although I have enjoyed the stories he has done which started with the book titled "the complaints". I have read first two and enjoyed them.
    I like the Rebus books,although I'm not sure I'd have enjoyed them as much if I hadn't seen the TV series.

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    The Bazaar of bad dreams - Stephen King

A collection of short storys. I always enjoy a short story, I mainly read before bed so I quite like that you can get through a whole story and have the ending and closure to it in one sitting.

Read two so far.

Mile 81 - Really loved how he built this story up, even for a short story you got a nice idea about the characters, but I didn't really like the ending, just felt a bit too easy and like he couldn't be bothered and also I thought the way some of the characters reacted didn't really make sense to what was going on.

Premium Harmony - Bit of a mad one this, a nice look into what married life is for some with quite a dark humorous ending, proper King style.
    Bad Little Kid may be the best Stephen King short story I have read. Loved it.

DiddlerDave is online now First team regular
    'The Massacre of Mankind,' by Stephen Baxter.

This is the 'sequel' to Wells' 'War of The Worlds.'
    Authorised/endorsed by the H. G. Wells Estate.

The author has written in Wells' wordy style, to maintain the same pace and technique he used in 1897.… which makes for a rather unusual read in 2018.

No spoilers, but… it was interesting.