Notices
Reply to Thread

Thread: Want to take my dad on a cricket holiday

1. #1 Default Want to take my dad on a cricket holiday 
    Alright guys.

I know nothing at all about cricket but my dad loves it, and I think a really good gift would be to take him to see a cricket game of some kind. Preferably between some of the good national teams (which I think are like Australia, New Zealand, West Indies? Who knows.)

I'd most like to take him to see the West Indies play (I figure they play in the Caribbean somewhere?), and I was just wondering if any of you have ever done this before?

I'm based in Ireland, so what I'd like to do is fly to the Caribbean to see a game. That's what I'm saying. So if anyone can help me out in terms of when these games happen, which game would be good to see, just if you've ever done anything like it, that would be deadly.

Thanks.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Rock View Post
    Alright guys.

I know nothing at all about cricket but my dad loves it, and I think a really good gift would be to take him to see a cricket game of some kind. Preferably between some of the good national teams (which I think are like Australia, New Zealand, West Indies? Who knows.)

I'd most like to take him to see the West Indies play (I figure they play in the Caribbean somewhere?), and I was just wondering if any of you have ever done this before?

I'm based in Ireland, so what I'd like to do is fly to the Caribbean to see a game. That's what I'm saying. So if anyone can help me out in terms of when these games happen, which game would be good to see, just if you've ever done anything like it, that would be deadly.

Thanks.
    I read this and thought wow what a class gift, Just sorry I cant help out mate, Somebody might but good luck.

Only advice is ring a few travel companies and get the best price.
    Liverpool fan for 35 years ... YNWA & Justice for the 96.

Alright guys.

Thanks.

The Caribbean is definitely the best place for a gift like this, cause you'll get the Cricket, as well as the beaches. Unfortunately, my beloved West Indies are currently, probably the equivalent of Newcastle - a sleeping (nearly comatose) giant, with massive fan base, but absolute crap for the past couple decades (plus we want our current "custodians", ie Cricket Board out as much as they want Ashley out).

The only cricket in the West Indies coming up next year is an ODI (50 Overs) Tri-series between Windies, Australia & S.Africa in June - check Cricinfo for the exact dates & locations. This is actually better than a one vs one series, cause we'll get beat very easily & un-competitively if we had a series like that - S.Africa & Aus will be very good to see tho.

Personally tho, I'd go to the Twenty20 World Cup in India in March. Ireland's in that tournament, and I expect them to be very competitive. Again, check Cricinfo for the dates & locations.
    Last edited by spikop; 23-12-15 at 13:39.

Alright guys.

Thanks.
    Check out espncricinfo.com, Ad_Rock .. it shows all the upcoming matches, be they Test series, ODI's, T20's etc.

As to the West Indies, they are actually one of the poorer cricketing nations currently .. their cricket has been in the doldrums for quite some time and shows no sign of recovery in the near future, so if your Dad is into closely contested series, the Windies wouldn't be it (unless they are playing Zimbabwe or Bangladesh). If you Dad enjoys teams getting thrashed, then book for any tour to West Indies by Australia, South Africa or India

If you want to see top drawer Test cricket, then either Australia or South Africa are the places to visit. Economically, South Africa would be your best bet as the exchange rate really favours visitors right now. In fact, England are visiting SA as we speak, and will be here until the end of February, playing 4 Tests until the end of January, and then into the shorter version into February. If your plans are short term, then maybe look at coming to SA for this? If more longer term, just do a search for 'cricket series in (date of your trip here)' and you should be able to find what is on offer during that period.

EDIT: Just did a search and here is the Windies schedule for 2016: http://www.cricketwa.com/55/team/west-indies.aspx .. take a look at that form guide showing red blocks for a loss, and green for a win - thank god that is theirs, and not LFC's

There is also the T20 World Cup in India in 2016, if your dad is into the shorter version of the game (I would seriously find out from him before you book as to which format he enjoys - Tests, ODI's or T20's - as it would be a waste to book for the shorter version (for instance) only to find out he prefers the longer version (Tests) of the game).
    Last edited by grenny158; 23-12-15 at 13:47.

Alright guys.

Thanks.

First of all,it's great to see this post and the idea of taking your old man to Caribbean for a game of cricket.

West Indies used to be a cricketing powerhouse but since last two decades have slumped a lot but they did win the World T20 tournament in Sri Lanka in 2012 and
    that's probably the only notable tournament they have won in the last twenty years but still they are a decent team and just like in any sport,any team can beat
    anyone on a given day.Australia,South Africa are two of the most consistently performing teams and tend to make for a good viewing when those two nations are
    involved.

Caribbean is one of the best locations to enjoy a game of cricket.The venues,the beaches,the music.......it's like a carnival out there and luckily West Indies will be
    hosting a tri-nation series next summer.The games will be taking place across three separate venues.Barbados,St.Kitts and Guyana to be precise.

The following link should help you out with the dates - Tri-Series Schedule

Guyana is the only nation in the region which is not an island and is part of mainland South America while remaining ones are all islands,if i am not wrong....
    Trinidad & Tobago,Barbados,St.Kitts,St.Lucia,Antigua & Barbuda to name a few.
    Jamaica is the only nation/island which is pretty far off and is to the west of the islands mentioned above.

Most of the islands sit right on top of Guyana.Do refer the map to get a better idea and probably i might have missed naming a few islands myself.

The weather shall be good at that time of the year barring any hurricanes or emergencies and it should be fun watching the games.

West Indies being the hosts will get plenty of support and it'll be a joy watching them play,the support shall bring the best out of them.
    South Africa & Australia are always competitive and tend to be part of some good games.

I think if you are planning to visit the Caribbean for some good cricket along with the chance to enjoy everything Caribbean has to offer,this tri-series
    couldn't have come at a better time for you and your old man.

And yeah,there is not much of cricket apart from this series in the Caribbean if i am not wrong,so do keep that in mind.

Cheers!!
    Hope that helps.

geralion is online now Or a tiger they're almost as good
    Alright guys.

Thanks.
    Hmm... lets see...

First - how much do you want to spend? Does it matter whether its a test or 20/20 whatever?

I know someone who organises cricket holidays - his name is Richard Nurse and you can contact him from the details bottom of this page - he might be a good starting place. He's a South African based in the UK and SA. I'd consider South Africa because the rand exchange is fantastic for tourists now and there are other things to do if you want a little diversion - great food, scenery etc - would probably work out far cheaper than the West Indies.

http://www.itcsports.co.uk

Good luck and well done you for treating your Dad!

Come over to India for the World Twenty20.

Go to one of the Ireland games in Dharamsala. Quite incredibly scenic stadium.

And meet me there on March 19th for India vs Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by MosquesAndKebabs View Post
    Come over to India for the World Twenty20.

Go to one of the Ireland games in Dharamsala. Quite incredibly scenic stadium.

It's truly amazing how some of the games involving lesser known teams who are making their way into the big league end up!!
    What a game that was between Ireland vs England at the I.C.C World Cup back in 2011 at Bangalore.

England piling up the runs,Ireland looking totally out of the game with five wickets down for a hundred and twenty or thereabouts
    and in comes Kevin O Brien and even though the stadium wasn't packed but boy!!!!!!!! everyone must have enjoyed the spectacle
    that followed to the hilt.

Stuff dreams are made of!!Just amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Rollertoaster View Post
    It's truly amazing how some of the games involving lesser known teams who are making their way into the big league end up!!
    What a game that was between Ireland vs England at the I.C.C World Cup back in 2011 at Bangalore.

England piling up the runs,Ireland looking totally out of the game with five wickets down for a hundred and twenty or thereabouts
    and in comes Kevin O Brien and even though the stadium wasn't packed but boy!!!!!!!! everyone must have enjoyed the spectacle
    that followed to the hilt.

Stuff dreams are made of!!Just amazing!
    Truly amazing game that. Was in uni at the time and didn't watch it live, but I was totally gobsmacked when I found out.

Liverdinner is online now Posts With His Faace
    Signs one contract with JOE and turns into a flash Harry, splashing the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverdinner View Post
    Signs one contract with JOE and turns into a flash Harry, splashing the cash.
    Loooooool.

Quote Originally Posted by MosquesAndKebabs View Post

He said it's a gift, not a punishment.

Liverdinner is online now Posts With His Faace
    Loooooool.
    Well done btw, I do enjoy reading your *****.

laramay is offline Armchair supporter
    Its often futile to differentiate Indian-Pakistani-Bangladeshi people, or people of different states of India as they all essentially same people. Vast majority of Pakistanis and Bangladeshi are converts from Hinduism, (Iranis and Iraqis are coverts from Zoroastrianism)

For ex. , my grandparents migrated from present-day pakistan during partition. I have a Hindu name and when I google my last name, all Hindus in search results are Indians and all muslims are Pakistanis . As their generations have descended, the pakistanis/bangladeshis often replace their last names with a generic muslim name such as or khan muhammad ali etc...

Even within Indian states, its often impossible to ascertain which state does the person come from, just by how he/she looks. For ex. all these cricketers come from Indian state of Maharashtra -
    tendulkar kambli ankola pawar agarkar kuruvila

Likewise both these cricketers come from Tamilnadu
    msdhoni Vijay
    If your dad visit india then ipl schedule will be announced a big event in cricket is started now visit and enjoy the game

Mate IPL season kicks off soon in India. That would be epic. Best cricketing competition by a long way. RCB with De Villiers, Kohli and Chris Gayle is immense