Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Joel Matip

Quote Originally Posted by KMacDW View Post
    What club in the world has five centre backs, who all expect to play? And don't forget Gomez, what chance is there for him?

Carragher once said in a Q&A that most clubs don't even have room for a fourth centre back, with that role being filled by a young lad or a utility player.

I think Liverpool fans have lost the sense of how centre back is supposed to be. Look at Spurs. Vertonghen and Alderweireld play virtually every game; Wimmer is a decent player but he sits on the bench and if needs be they have Dier who can step back in from midfield.

That's how it should be. However we can't have it that way. Sakho is constantly at risk of being injured. Despite his recent form, I'm sure every LFC fan is expecting Lovren to show up in the next game and go back to being a calamity.

There is no chance and hell we could afford to pay the wages of all those centre halves you've listed off. Only (unlikely) reality where we sign Matip, Howedes and Caulker next summer is one where one of Sakho or Lovren goes, maybe even both (and that also relies on Skrtel going which is going to prove difficult)
    Spurs also have Fazio
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by TAFFYFROG View Post
    Spurs also have Fazio
    Yeah but he's ****, never plays and they tried to sell him in the summer.

Actually **** is harsh. He's very much like Coates. Far too slow for the EPL but could be decent as a centre half in a league with a slower tempo such as Spain or Italy.

Actually **** is harsh. He's very much like Coates. Far too slow for the EPL but could be decent as a centre half in a league with a slower tempo such as Spain or Italy.
    but you also said coates and kaboul are good centre backs for sunderland

canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    So it's starting to look like this is more than just a rumour. Goods news, I suppose.

canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    That will probably be the case.

Just frustrates me that Caulker could excel and build on the promise he once showed. And yet we won't have room for him. Giving Skrtel a new deal was ridicuous. I'd love to be able to flog him and bring Caulker in (if he performs).

Also think you're forgetting some things. Signing Matip doesn't suddenly sure up our defence. What about a keeper to compete (replace) Mignolet? What about a left back who can actually defend? What about cover for Clyne? What about that defensive mid we've needed for years?

Don't get me wrong we do need a striker and a winger. However we definitely need to add a lot more than Matip to defensive areas.
    This is the middle of January and you're already getting upset that we haven't completed our summer business yet?

What club in the world has five centre backs, who all expect to play? And don't forget Gomez, what chance is there for him?

Carragher once said in a Q&A that most clubs don't even have room for a fourth centre back, with that role being filled by a young lad or a utility player.

I think Liverpool fans have lost the sense of how centre back is supposed to be. Look at Spurs. Vertonghen and Alderweireld play virtually every game; Wimmer is a decent player but he sits on the bench and if needs be they have Dier who can step back in from midfield.

That's how it should be. However we can't have it that way. Sakho is constantly at risk of being injured. Despite his recent form, I'm sure every LFC fan is expecting Lovren to show up in the next game and go back to being a calamity.

There is no chance and hell we could afford to pay the wages of all those centre halves you've listed off. Only (unlikely) reality where we sign Matip, Howedes and Caulker next summer is one where one of Sakho or Lovren goes, maybe even both (and that also relies on Skrtel going which is going to prove difficult)
    That will probably be the case.

Just frustrates me that Caulker could excel and build on the promise he once showed. And yet we won't have room for him. Giving Skrtel a new deal was ridicuous. I'd love to be able to flog him and bring Caulker in (if he performs).

Also think you're forgetting some things. Signing Matip doesn't suddenly sure up our defence. What about a keeper to compete (replace) Mignolet? What about a left back who can actually defend? What about cover for Clyne? What about that defensive mid we've needed for years?

Don't get me wrong we do need a striker and a winger. However we definitely need to add a lot more than Matip to defensive areas.
    Some want all or most of our starting squad replaced but it will not happen

We have been linked with another goalie and left back to add squad strength and competition for places. Flanagan will also be back soon

We have also been linked with a number of new CMs including Gundogan and Xhaka

Add a decent, speedy goalscoring wide attacker and another striker and we should be good to go next season

I agree, and they are trying to sell him now but the two posts were about the number of CBs they had

Pretty pleased with this. Should be a good signing.

As a side note I find it amusing that one of Klopps first signings will be a schalke player. Maybe hes been a long time admirer but couldnt sign him due to the dortmund/schalke rivalry?

Some want all or most of our starting squad replaced but it will not happen

We have been linked with another goalie and left back to add squad strength and competition for places. Flanagan will also be back soon

We have also been linked with a number of new CMs including Gundogan and Xhaka

Add a decent, speedy goalscoring wide attacker and another striker and we should be good to go next season
    Don't forget Mario Goetze, that seems to have some legs. Don't get me wrong not sure why we're targetting a number ten for a third successive summer but if Klopp wants him, it's good enough for me.

Think we could so with someone like Xhaka or Gundogan. I see people saying Grujic and Matip sorts midfield but I don't agree. Matip is primarily a centre back, his ability to play the holding role is a bonus. Grujic is still very raw. Hell Can is still raw even. Hendo has his fitness troubles. So yeah we could definitely do with one more option for centre midfield. It seems Joe Allen will be off and I wouldn't be surprised to see Lucas follow him.

Overall though it sounds like we could be in for our best summer in years. Based on the journos and ITKs, it seems the club is targetting the sort of players we need and some names of real quality.

Schalke did want to keep him (still do which is why they won't sell him now) but the player was determined to move. Higher wages in EPL may have been a factor
    Yeah there are plenty of reasons:

Liverpool are a far bigger club
    He's been in Germany all his life, time for a change
    Wages would presumably triple
    Higher global exposure
    And a massive one is when Jurgen Klopp calls, you come running.

davevietnam is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by liverpool19734 View Post
    He will be more than a cover signing, he is quality.
    They are all quality till they come here, then they drink the tea at Melwood and regress for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Canners View Post
    Pretty pleased with this. Should be a good signing.

As a side note I find it amusing that one of Klopps first signings will be a schalke player. Maybe hes been a long time admirer but couldnt sign him due to the dortmund/schalke rivalry?
    We've been linked with a few.

Talk of Sidney Sam on loan.

We're also one of the clubs said to be battling to sign Leroy Sane.

Also were some loose links to Howedes.

Quote Originally Posted by davevietnam View Post
    They are all quality till they come here, then they drink the tea at Melwood and regress for a year.
    Ain't that the truth.

Another player that I am not familliar with so cannot really say much about it, the team looks terrible though, all over the shop, as long as we get who the manager wants im happy I guess.

sidney sam is well reported to have a poor conduct and was actually released from his contract at one point last season.

Sane will cost a lot but he'd be a top signing.

There's no chance we'll sign both of Schalke's first team CB's

True although i seem to recall both sam and sane being linked last year and the summer past when BR was still in charge. Just happy we seem to be showing more interest in bundesliga players.

Quote Originally Posted by LW94 View Post
    sidney sam is well reported to have a poor conduct and was actually released from his contract at one point last season.

Sane will cost a lot but he'd be a top signing.

There's no chance we'll sign both of Schalke's first team CB's
    Sadly if Barca and City want Sane we're probably fighting a losing battle there. Madness as neither of them needs him.

Yes we're all aware of Sam being fired last season before them realising they couldn't do that so they suspended him indefinitely. However perhaps Klopp feels he can man manage him. Considering his suspension, we could probably get him on loan at a steal. He might be a decent option for six months until we can get a real option in.

The links to Howedes were never much more than rumors. Doubt we'd spend the big money on another centre half. Unless suddenly a CL club came in with an offer for Sakho and he asked to leave or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Canners View Post
    True although i seem to recall both sam and sane being linked last year and the summer past when BR was still in charge. Just happy we seem to be showing more interest in bundesliga players.
    Sane has been linked since a couple months before Klopp came in. Apparently our scouts identified him. Makes you wonder why we didn't bid 20m for him in the summer and get him before the hype train got going.....

I don't remember ever seeing Sam linked. He was linked to Spurs in the summer for sure though.

Didn't Schalke recently put an insane price tag on sane?

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Didn't Schalke recently put an insane price tag on sane?
    He apparently has a release clause of 32m or so. Schalke have apparently offered him the chance to become their highest paid player ever and stay though.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKirky View Post
    Fairy Nuff, Just unusual why his club don't want to keep him and others haven't snapped him up if he is supposedly quality.
    Sol Campbell went to Arsenal on a free, might just be the club wanted him and he didn't want to stay, or they didn't offer enough or he just wanted to move, a new challenge kind of thing.

That may make it sound like he's "done the dirty" on his club, but they should have contract talks well in advance of expiry and have the option to sell if the player won't commit.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Can't say I'd even heard of him until the rumours started a month or so ago.
    Since then I've read up a little about him and seen a few clips (yes I know this isnt the best way to judge someone, but it gives at least a rough idea compared to nothing ), he seems reasonably high rated and has been playing at a good level in a good team for awhile now. Also the age is good as he can only improve really with more experience.

Heading in to next season though would we be happy with selection of Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren, Matip and Gomez? Personally I'd want to se Skretel moved on and a first choice CB brought in to replace him, but what are others thinking?
    Has anyone seen a lot of this guy in matches rather than just internet clips?

Quote Originally Posted by HakAttack View Post
    Since then I've read up a little about him and seen a few clips (yes I know this isnt the best way to judge someone, but it gives at least a rough idea compared to nothing ), he seems reasonably high rated and has been playing at a good level in a good team for awhile now. Also the age is good as he can only improve really with more experience.

Heading in to next season though would we be happy with selection of Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren, Matip and Gomez? Personally I'd want to se Skretel moved on and a first choice CB brought in to replace him, but what are others thinking?
    He was excellent for a couple years, one of the most promising young centre halves in Europe. However his progress stalled a tad and you could say in the past twelve months perhaps he's even regressed.

However 18 months ago I can remember United being linked with him and their fans very ecstatic to the thought of signing him for big money. So If Klopp believes that players is still there and he can get it out of him, well I'm all for it.
    Last edited by bilsland; 13-1-16 at 13:19. Reason: Edited inappropriate comment

He was excellent for a couple years, one of the most promising young centre halves in Europe. However his progress stalled a tad and you could say in the past twelve months perhaps he's even regressed.

However 18 months ago I can remember United being linked with him and their fans very ecstatic to the thought of signing him for big money. So If Klopp believes that players is still there and he can get it out of him, well I'm all for it.
    Cheers, hopefully at a new team with Klopp he can find that form that made him so promising back then.
    Have you seen much of him yourself or just what you've sene in clips/heard in the media?

Warten Auf 19 is online now Another New User Name
    Quote Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post
    Fred, I will never agree to Lovren being here. Lovren doing fairly well is basically him going from a 4/10 to a 6/10.

We have higher standards now and I'd be shocked if he's here in a year.
    Klopp rates Lovren as our best CB. I wouldn't be surprised if Matip is backup to Lovren and Sakho.
    "Let the ball all the work do." - Jurgen Klopp. 22/07/2017.

He is Super Talented. Young, Strong, great technical ability, tactically excellent! Super awareness and Vision, nice hair style, hot girlfriend, other words that mean I haven't got a clue and have never heard of him!

Cheers, hopefully at a new team with Klopp he can find that form that made him so promising back then.
    Have you seen much of him yourself or just what you've sene in clips/heard in the media?
    I've watched him in the Champions League a few times but I've spoken to people who've seen a lot more of him

Quote Originally Posted by JKTheRockstar View Post
    Klopp rates Lovren as our best CB. I wouldn't be surprised if Matip is backup to Lovren and Sakho.
    Then I would assume Skrtel will be leaving. I cant imagine having a 4th choice CB on around a 100, 000 grand a week is a smart thing.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo0573 View Post
    Then I would assume Skrtel will be leaving. I cant imagine having a 4th choice CB on around a 100, 000 grand a week is a smart thing.
    Of all our centre halves, including Kolo, Skrtel is the least suited to how Klopp wants to play so I'm sure he'd be first out the door.

However as you say he's on 100k a week. I rate Skrtel as a very good centre half on his day but that's in a certain set up and the kind of team that suits his style isn't the type of team that can afford 100k a week. He has two year left on his deal too so it's not like we can give him a golden handshake to take a paycut and leave. It's a difficult situation.

I do agree that Lovren is probably the centre half at the club that Klopp appreciates the most atm (although we all fear he'll go back to being Calamity Dejan any day now) so i don't see Lovren making way for the moment.