Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Joel Matip

Quote Originally Posted by KingKirky View Post
    Seen him a few times but not enough to have a solid opinion, Only thing bothering me is if he was that good why haven't others come in for him?

Especially a free transfer, Will he just be a cover signing for when someone is injured?, Most likely.
    I don't recall many, if any, going in for Sakho, but some supporters think he's amazing. Then you've got Coutinho, Sturridge etc. It really depends on the players agent when it comes to genuinely being linked with a player. If the deal is nearly done, and the agent is a straight shooter, then he would inform other parties when they make an enquiry that a deal with them will not happen.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

*Wolfy* is offline The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    Seen this on numerous sites, hoping it's true. A quality defender, versatile, with his best years ahead of him.

Hopefully a sign of things to come with regards to Klopp in the transfer market.

Quote Originally Posted by geo1122 View Post
    I don't recall many, if any, going in for Sakho, but some supporters think he's amazing. Then you've got Coutinho, Sturridge etc. It really depends on the players agent when it comes to genuinely being linked with a player. If the deal is nearly done, and the agent is a straight shooter, then he would inform other parties when they make an enquiry that a deal with them will not happen.
    Two big french clubs (one rumored to be Lyon) offered him contracts and Schalke offered him a big wage rise to stay. SO not entirely true that no one else wanted him.

Quote Originally Posted by KMacDW View Post
    What club in the world has five centre backs, who all expect to play? And don't forget Gomez, what chance is there for him?

Carragher once said in a Q&A that most clubs don't even have room for a fourth centre back, with that role being filled by a young lad or a utility player.

I think Liverpool fans have lost the sense of how centre back is supposed to be. Look at Spurs. Vertonghen and Alderweireld play virtually every game; Wimmer is a decent player but he sits on the bench and if needs be they have Dier who can step back in from midfield.

That's how it should be. However we can't have it that way. Sakho is constantly at risk of being injured. Despite his recent form, I'm sure every LFC fan is expecting Lovren to show up in the next game and go back to being a calamity.

There is no chance and hell we could afford to pay the wages of all those centre halves you've listed off. Only (unlikely) reality where we sign Matip, Howedes and Caulker next summer is one where one of Sakho or Lovren goes, maybe even both (and that also relies on Skrtel going which is going to prove difficult)
    Agreed. I can see players getting shipped out. Sakho was looking decent before his knee injury, but then he came back and looked his usual self. It will be interesting to see how he looks once he's back again. Given his injuries perhaps Klopp will look to move him on for someone more reliable.

Cameroon international aswell. Could be our first african player in ages. That cretin el hadj diouf was our last I think?

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Smart buy, if it goes through. Easily on par, if not better, than what we have right now at CB. Allows us to focus on midfield and attackers/wingers. It is a real breathe of fresh air to see a plan of action by a manager when acquiring players. Not only is he addressing a major issue, but not throwing money at it knowing he has other areas to focus on as well.

Get solid at the back, leave money for the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Canners View Post
    Cameroon international aswell. Could be our first african player in ages. That cretin el hadj diouf was our last I think?
    Seriously? Who is playing CB tonight against Arsenal tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by geo1122 View Post
    Agreed. I can see players getting shipped out. Sakho was looking decent before his knee injury, but then he came back and looked his usual self. It will be interesting to see how he looks once he's back again. Given his injuries perhaps Klopp will look to move him on for someone more reliable.
    We won't be selling Sakho. he signed a new deal right after Rodgers got sacked. he's here for the forseeable.

For me Sakho can be a great centre half on his day but he's not quite the class centre half that some make him out to be. And really it doesn't matter what level he's at as its a never ending cycle of injury. He gets crocked, come back and looks rusty for a couple games, started playing well....but then gets crocked again.

It's frustrating that we have too many of these sick notes that it's a case of "an option when they're fit".

Two big french clubs (one rumored to be Lyon) offered him contracts and Schalke offered him a big wage rise to stay. SO not entirely true that no one else wanted him.
    I can see others making enquires as well, given his contract situation. But it looks like the fire has been put out without much fuss.

We won't be selling Sakho. he signed a new deal right after Rodgers got sacked. he's here for the forseeable.

For me Sakho can be a great centre half on his day but he's not quite the class centre half that some make him out to be. And really it doesn't matter what level he's at as its a never ending cycle of injury. He gets crocked, come back and looks rusty for a couple games, started playing well....but then gets crocked again.

It's frustrating that we have too many of these sick notes that it's a case of "an option when they're fit".
    I get the contract extension, but if we're being honest it really counts for nothing if we want to sell or the player wants to go, other than making sure we get the premium rate for such a player. Providing he is not on a ridiculous amount of money he may well be moved on. Having said that, a lot of supporters love him so perhaps they will leave it.
    Last edited by geo1122; 13-1-16 at 14:04.

Warten Auf 19 is online now Another New User Name
    If Klopp and the brain are looking at stats:

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-ma...tal_duels_%#90

You can see that Skrtel is probably on the decline and doesn't really suit Klopp's style of play. The other 3 look like there isn't much between them which could be good for healthy competition. Especially with Sakho's injury problems.
    "Nobody can beat us!" - Jurgen Klopp. 31/01/2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Canners View Post
    We have Kolo at the mo, before him it was Moses (although only loan).

Quote Originally Posted by HakAttack View Post
    We have Kolo at the mo, before him it was Moses (although only loan).
    haha god i forgot about kolo, hes an adopted scouser. I have blocked that moses season out of my mind. Meant a real first teamer like titi camara, diouf or daio were.

*Wolfy* is offline The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Seriously? Who is playing CB tonight against Arsenal tonight?
    Toure-Sakho.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSniperwolfy96 View Post
    Toure-Sakho.
    Toure-Caulker

But honestly, thought Sakho was only tentative for ManU. News I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Toure-Caulker

But honestly, thought Sakho was only tentative for ManU. News I'm missing?
    Sakho is ok, he's trained the past two days. Klopp just isn't sure he's ready to play two full games in a week. So it may possibly be a case of Sakho playing tonight and Caulker playing on the weekend once he's settled in.

So Sakho's got a new deal and won't be leaving, Skrtel's signed a new deal so won't be leaving, and Lovren's probably been our best CB under Klopp and so won't be leaving - I think that's about right.

I don't see us being that keen to let any of them go, and I don't expect us to receive offers too good to turn down.

If one of them finds themselves at the bottom of the pecking order they might move on next summer, or maybe next January if another club finds themselves in a similar situation to ours now.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Seems like sound business. I'm not going to pretend I've seen a lot of him, because I haven't, but he does come with a good reputation and I'm looking forward to seeing how he does. Hopefully he's the beginning of the end of our calamity CBs.

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    So Sakho's got a new deal and won't be leaving, Skrtel's signed a new deal so won't be leaving, and Lovren's probably been our best CB under Klopp and so won't be leaving - I think that's about right.

I don't see us being that keen to let any of them go, and I don't expect us to receive offers too good to turn down.

If one of them finds themselves at the bottom of the pecking order they might move on next summer, or maybe next January if another club finds themselves in a similar situation to ours now.
    Aye the reality is our centre halves will probably be those three, Matip and Gomez (covering across the back line).

Just annoys me a tad that no matter how well Caulker plays we probably won't sign him. And a reliable source says he'd be available for about 5/6m

Aye the reality is our centre halves will probably be those three, Matip and Gomez (covering across the back line).

Just annoys me a tad that no matter how well Caulker plays we probably won't sign him. And a reliable source says he'd be available for about 5/6m
    The craziness that is a Liverpool fan. You're already disappointed that we probably wont sign him permanently, even though he hasn't played one single minute for us yet?

I don't think that is true. Between now and the summer every center back we have has to prove himself to Klopp, if Caulker substantially outperforms Skrtel then Skrtel may go instead. If Sakho is constantly injured then Sakho may go instead and so on. You can't say exactly what will happen the next 5 months of football.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo0573 View Post
    The craziness that is a Liverpool fan. You're already disappointed that we probably wont sign him permanently, even though he hasn't played one single minute for us yet?
    I just don't like the idea of his path being blocked before it's even began.

Ever since Anelka I've always been keen for a loan player to excel and for us to right the wrong and sign them permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by JKTheRockstar View Post
    I don't think that is true. Between now and the summer every center back we have has to prove himself to Klopp, if Caulker substantially outperforms Skrtel then Skrtel may go instead. If Sakho is constantly injured then Sakho may go instead and so on. You can't say exactly what will happen the next 5 months of football.
    Again.....

Summer 2016:
    Skrtel - 2 years on contract - 100k+ a week
    Sakho - 4 years on contract - 100k+ a week

Not as simple as simply saying let's sell him.

Again.....

Summer 2016:
    Skrtel - 2 years on contract - 100k+ a week
    Sakho - 4 years on contract - 100k+ a week

Not as simple as simply saying let's sell him.
    I'm sure there are plenty of teams around Europe who would be willing to take those 2, they're not bad players.

I just don't like the idea of his path being blocked before it's even began.

Ever since Anelka I've always been keen for a loan player to excel and for us to right the wrong and sign them permanently.
    This I just don't get, yesterday he was signed as some super desperately needed signing as cover until the end of the season, today people are talking about signing him permanently and he hasn't played a single minute for us yet. Sorry, but I just don't get it at all.

If Caulker does exceptionally well and establishes himself as better than what we have, and is available for a good price, we might well still sign him up - the reality is though that he's probably not going to play more than a handful of games.

Considering it's taken Sakho and Lovren the best part of 2.5 and 1.5 years to bump Skrtel down the pecking order - and it's by no means certain that they've done that even now - I struggle to see Caulker managing it in 6 months.

IF he does though, and Skrtel is 4th choice before we even get to the summer and any new arrivals, it would change ours and Skrtel's outlook.

People are getting carried away. Currently its only the Mirror that have reported this. I'd wait for a more reliable source to report it before thinking its a done deal.

UPDATE: @AnfieldHQ: Just spoken to Dave Maddock (Mirror). He's stressed LFC have had talks with Matip & a deal has been agreed in principle, but nothing signed. #LFC

That will probably be the case.

Just frustrates me that Caulker could excel and build on the promise he once showed. And yet we won't have room for him. Giving Skrtel a new deal was ridicuous. I'd love to be able to flog him and bring Caulker in (if he performs).

Also think you're forgetting some things. Signing Matip doesn't suddenly sure up our defence. What about a keeper to compete (replace) Mignolet? What about a left back who can actually defend? What about cover for Clyne? What about that defensive mid we've needed for years?

Don't get me wrong we do need a striker and a winger. However we definitely need to add a lot more than Matip to defensive areas.
    I said that I am basically satisfy with the 4 CBs, not the whole defensive department. I said that we need to enhance our attacking department does not mean that we should not spare out a small fraction of our budget to sign defenders and DM.

Klopp is already preparing for next season. Ward has been recalled. If he can keep Mignolet on the bench, good, we can save some money. If not yet, Klopp will sign another one in summer. Joe Gomes and Flanno. will be back up of Clyne while Smith is already the back up of Moreno. If Klopp thinks that Smith is not good enough, probably a new LB will be signed but never expect it to be a big name. About DM, we have already signed a Serbian youngster and loan him back.

In 2013-14 season, we nearly won the title with a leaky defense but a very strong attacking line. Under Klopp, our defense will NOT be as fragile as in that season even playing with the same group of defenders, let alone he has already made some enhancement and probably some more in summer. Obviously, what we are lack of and need most is Attack, Attack and Attack. The attacking department should get a lion's share in our budget including the money back from selling players.

Quote Originally Posted by FootballScouser View Post
    I said that I am basically satisfy with the 4 CBs, not the whole defensive department. I said that we need to enhance our attacking department does not mean that we should not spare out a small fraction of our budget to sign defenders and DM.

Klopp is already preparing for next season. Ward has been recalled. If he can keep Mignolet on the bench, good, we can save some money. If not yet, Klopp will sign another one in summer. Joe Gomes and Flanno. will be back up of Clyne while Smith is already the back up of Moreno. If Klopp thinks that Smith is not good enough, probably a new LB will be signed but never expect it to be a big name. About DM, we have already signed a Serbian youngster and loan him back.

In 2013-14 season, we nearly won the title with a leaky defense but a very strong attacking line. Under Klopp, our defense will NOT be as fragile as in that season even playing with the same group of defenders, let alone he has already made some enhancement and probably some more in summer. Obviously, what we are lack of and need most is Attack, Attack and Attack. The attacking department should get a lion's share in our budget including the money back from selling players.
    Grujic is a box to box midfielder not a defensive midfielder.

How can you think Flanno ( a half decent fullback that's spent 18 months out with a knee injury), Gomez (a raw young centre half) and Smith (a raw young fullback) are sufficient cover? Especially when it's not even clear our first choice left back is good enough to begin with. I feel we could easily do with signing a fullback for both sides.

******** does the attack get the lion's share of the budget. Do you not realise we've pumped lot's of money into attack and it's gotten us no where? Attacking players find it hard to do their job when they can't trust the players behind them. Perhaps a Suarez level player is the exception to the rule, however we don't have one and lighting likely won't strike twice.

I'm more of a fan of the Benitez approach, make the team near impossible to beat and then add the attack.

Do you watch Liverpool? Honestly? We get bullied by lesser sides time and time again. And you think throwing big money at a striker and a winger will solve that?

I would prefer see us go and sign a keeper, a couple fullbacks and a defensive midfielder before we put any funds into attack.

Some how i dont think Matip will be covering anything id say he will be first choice , i dont think Klopp really thinks any of our cbs are reliable for various reasons