Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445
Results 1,321 to 1,347 of 1347

Thread: Joel Matip

  1. #1321  
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    5,751
    Quote Originally Posted by cantstandya View Post
    Best signing Klopp has made by a million miles.
    Taking into account the (non-existent) transfer fee then I'd agree. However purely on contribution and quality I'd say Mane has got to be up there with him.
    Last edited by steviewonder87; 4-2-17 at 13:17.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #1322  
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    23,328
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Taking into account the (non-existant) transfer fee then I'd agree. However purely on contribution and quality I'd say Mane has got to be up there with him.
    Matip hasn't been available enough to be considered the best signing for me. Mane, thus far.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #1323  
    WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    30,480
    Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    Matip hasn't been available enough to be considered the best signing for me. Mane, thus far.
    But he's the next Franz Beckenbauer.

    People don't half go overboard with our players, one way or the other. They're either brilliant or ****. Matip has been good, especially for a freebie, but he hasn't played enough and has had a few shaky games to be considered a great yet.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #1324  
    MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    34,858
    Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    Matip hasn't been available enough to be considered the best signing for me. Mane, thus far.
    Seconded. It's Mane for me too.

    Matip is a genius signing from Klopp though considering he was free. I would like to see more signings like that, those pre contracts on good players. If we were to judge a manager by his signings, Matip is a very good one and they way it was done. He wanted to join Klopp when he was at Schalke and did so when his contract ran out.

    He could have cost a fair whack, but also he did come here with injury niggles I was reading last summer. But he is young and can overcome that, I hope.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #1325  
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    5,751
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    But he's the next Franz Beckenbauer.

    People don't half go overboard with our players, one way or the other. They're either brilliant or ****. Matip has been good, especially for a freebie, but he hasn't played enough and has had a few shaky games to be considered a great yet.
    I think if we'd paid 25m for him (like Lovren for example) he'd be less lauded, but the fact he was free is pretty incredible. Plus our defenders have been pretty poor in recent times so he stands out a bit more. But overboard reactions is the name of the game these days...
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #1326  
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    21,734
    Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    Seconded. It's Mane for me too.

    Matip is a genius signing from Klopp though considering he was free. I would like to see more signings like that, those pre contracts on good players. If we were to judge a manager by his signings, Matip is a very good one and they way it was done. He wanted to join Klopp when he was at Schalke and did so when his contract ran out.

    He could have cost a fair whack, but also he did come here with injury niggles I was reading last summer. But he is young and can overcome that, I hope.
    Really? I'd not heard that, what niggles?

    He played every minute in the league last season, missed about half the previous season with a broken foot, but averaged more than 90% in the previous 3. Nothing obvious to be concerned about or overcome I wouldn't have thought.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #1327  
    MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    34,858
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    Really? I'd not heard that, what niggles?

    He played every minute in the league last season, missed about half the previous season with a broken foot, but averaged more than 90% in the previous 3. Nothing obvious to be concerned about or overcome I wouldn't have thought.
    Hey Stuz. I remember reading it, maybe that poster didn't know what they were going on about, nor did I believe it, I just remember reading it. Think it was around the time he was out pre season with injury.

    But thanks for clearing that up. Maybe this season has just been an off one for him concerning injuries.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #1328  
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    21,734
    Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    Hey Stuz. I remember reading it, maybe that poster didn't know what they were going on about, nor did I believe it, I just remember reading it. Think it was around the time he was out pre season with injury.

    But thanks for clearing that up. Maybe this season has just been an off one for him concerning injuries.
    Let's hope so. He's still only had one injury hasn't he?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #1329  
    MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    34,858
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    Let's hope so. He's still only had one injury hasn't he?
    He had one pre season too. Didn't feature till Spurs. Think that is when I read about that poster saying he has niggles.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #1330  
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    21,734
    Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    He had one pre season too. Didn't feature till Spurs. Think that is when I read about that poster saying he has niggles.
    Oh yeah, of course, forgot that one.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #1331  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    5,700
    I wonder if he regrets not going with Cameroon now? He's had a bit of a lame time with LFC - the good people of Cameroon have cursed us.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #1332  
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,580
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    I wonder if he regrets not going with Cameroon now? He's had a bit of a lame time with LFC - the good people of Cameroon have cursed us.
    There was a reason he didnt want to go, it wasnt about not winning the AFCON. It was about him not getting along with manager or something wasnt it? I cant remember now...
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #1333  
    TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    18,059
    Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    Matip hasn't been available enough to be considered the best signing for me. Mane, thus far.
    It is no sleight on Matip that Mane, big fee or not, has been the best so far
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #1334  
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    13,005
    Quote Originally Posted by IFC View Post
    There was a reason he didnt want to go, it wasnt about not winning the AFCON. It was about him not getting along with manager or something wasnt it? I cant remember now...
    Nothing to do with being injured no?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #1335  
    Warten Auf 19 is online now Another New User Name
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    14,947
    Has been very poor since coming back, made too many mistakes. If Matip doesn't return to form what chance do we have.
    "Nobody can beat us!" - Jurgen Klopp. 31/01/2017.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #1336  
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    548
    you're right I don't fancy klavan defending against spurs
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #1337  
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    23,514
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    It is no sleight on Matip that Mane, big fee or not, has been the best so far
    Both have been really good signings because you can see the clear difference they have made to the team in the areas they play in, we just need to start signing more players of their quality or better.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #1338  
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,270
    been pretty prone to mistakes lately. maybe because he's been with lucas,klavan or lovren.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #1339  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    5,700
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonedtraveller View Post
    been pretty prone to mistakes lately. maybe because he's been with lucas,klavan or lovren.
    It does seem like he's a lone man back there at times.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #1340  
    GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    20,188
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    It does seem like he's a lone man back there at times.
    He's played 2 games plus 1 minute since the middle of December.

    He is still rusty and has come into a team low on confidence and has had a different CB partner every time.

    Obviously worth a kick by ST.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #1341  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    24,727
    Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    He's played 2 games plus 1 minute since the middle of December.

    He is still rusty and has come into a team low on confidence and has had a different CB partner every time.

    Obviously worth a kick by ST.
    You're such a naughty stirrer, Grots.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #1342  
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    3,129
    Imagine Skrtel and Lucas as CB's.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #1343  
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    3,129
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonedtraveller View Post
    been pretty prone to mistakes lately. maybe because he's been with lucas,klavan or lovren.
    You can only hold up a **** defence on your own for so long.

    He's the only 1 in the team i'd actually call a defender.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #1344  
    TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    18,059
    Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    He's played 2 games plus 1 minute since the middle of December.

    He is still rusty and has come into a team low on confidence and has had a different CB partner every time.

    Obviously worth a kick by ST.
    Apply the Sakho principle that he needs to go out on loan to gain match fitness
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #1345  
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    548
    we should re-sign Škrtel to partner matip, jokes
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #1346  
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    548
    great performance from matip, dealt well with de bruyne, sane, augero on that side. hopefully he can be more dangerous from set pieces, if we improve our set piece taker
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #1347  
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    13,005
    Matip was boss today.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •