Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Joel Matip

1. #1 Default Joel Matip 
    Liverpool agree deal in principle to sign Schalke defender Joel Matip on summer free transfer - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...e-sign-7170157

The Cameroon international has stalled on a new deal with the German club as he seeks a new challenge after 16 years in Gelsenkirchen.

Schalke centre-half Joel Matip is set to join Liverpool on a free transfer.

A deal has already been agreed in principle with the Cameroonian international.

Matip, 24, is out of contract in Gelsenkirchen, and wants a new challenge.

Jurgen Klopp has been an admirer since his time as Borussia Dortmund boss, and will add the 63 defender to his backline at the end of the season

The Reds chief has signed Steven Caulker on loan until the end of the season, after seeing his FOUR senior centre-backs all struggle with injury.

But Caulker's arrival from QPR is seen only as a short-term measure and he will leave Anfield at the end of the season.

Matip, who has 27 caps for his country, was wanted by Schalke to pen a new deal.

But the player has stood firm over his desire to ply his trade elsewhere next season.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

It's not confirmed but if we can get this done, a GREAT signing on a free.

Not just a CB, can also play DM (and most defensive positions if necessary). Tall, strong, relatively quick and can attack the ball. Right age too.

He's partnered Howedes who, frankly, I would go for as well. Sakho, Matip and Howedes as 3 of our 4 CB's would actually be phenomenal.

Get it done!!

fredthecamel is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post

Not just a CB, can also play DM (and most defensive positions if necessary). Tall, strong, relatively quick and can attack the ball. Right age too.

He's partnered Howedes who, frankly, I would go for as well. Sakho, Matip and Howedes as 3 of our 4 CB's would actually be phenomenal.

Get it done!!
    lovren as done fairly well this season too, he s just starting to grow into a proper cb here

Quote Originally Posted by LW94 View Post
    Liverpool agree deal in principle to sign Schalke defender Joel Matip on summer free transfer - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...e-sign-7170157
    Seen him a few times but not enough to have a solid opinion, Only thing bothering me is if he was that good why haven't others come in for him?

Especially a free transfer, Will he just be a cover signing for when someone is injured?, Most likely.
    Liverpool fan for 35 years ... YNWA & Justice for the 96.

liverpool19734 is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKirky View Post
    Seen him a few times but not enough to have a solid opinion, Only thing bothering me is if he was that good why haven't others come in for him?

Especially a free transfer, Will he just be a cover signing for when someone is injured?, Most likely.
    He will be more than a cover signing, he is quality.

When others go for our targets we moan when we don't get him
    I guess we have been around him for some time, we moved in early, and klopp could be a factor

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    lovren as done fairly well this season too, he s just starting to grow into a proper cb here
    Fred, I will never agree to Lovren being here. Lovren doing fairly well is basically him going from a 4/10 to a 6/10.

We have higher standards now and I'd be shocked if he's here in a year.

Get it done!!

I see this said a lot about players who are linked with/joining a club.

How often does this actually apply? A player who does in fact end up playing two defensive positions really, really well.

Not just talking about Liverpool here, but all clubs and their potential signings.

Quote Originally Posted by liverpool19734 View Post
    He will be more than a cover signing, he is quality.
    Fairy Nuff, Just unusual why his club don't want to keep him and others haven't snapped him up if he is supposedly quality.

Quote Originally Posted by 25-05-2005 View Post
    I see this said a lot about players who are linked with/joining a club.

How often does this actually apply? A player who does in fact end up playing two defensive positions really, really well.

Not just talking about Liverpool here, but all clubs and their potential signings.
    No Matip is definitely a CB for sure, that's where he's played the majority of his career. But he CAN play DM well if necessary, it could come in useful in an injury crisis, that's all.

Fairy Nuff, Just unusual why his club don't want to keep him and others haven't snapped him up if he is supposedly quality.
    Who said they didn't want to keep him?

Fred, I will never agree to Lovren being here. Lovren doing fairly well is basically him going from a 4/10 to a 6/10.

We have higher standards now and I'd be shocked if he's here in a year.
    i think he ll be here......... 4/10 goes to 6/10 tis season... what if that becomes 8/10

he s been as good as if not better than any of our other cbs this year

matip howedes sakho lovren caulker would be very good centre back options to start next year with

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Who said they didn't want to keep him?
    Maybe they did I don't know the ins and outs but still its rare you get a so called quality player on a free.

We'll see but I wont get my hopes up, I know what we are like with our transfers.

liverpool19734 is offline Academy prospect
    i think he ll be here......... 4/10 goes to 6/10 tis season... what if that becomes 8/10

matip howedes sakho lovren caulker would be very good centre back options to start next year with
    Under Klopp Lovren has been one of the best centre halves in the elague.

Quote Originally Posted by liverpool19734 View Post
    Under Klopp Lovren has been one of the best centre halves in the elague.
    he s def improved.. and hopefully will improve even more

Fred, let's just agree to disagree on this, I have a feeling that neither of us will change our opinion lol.

This thread is about Matip, so we should just keep it all things Joel!

Fred, let's just agree to disagree on this, I have a feeling that neither of us will change our opinion lol.

This thread is about Matip, so we should just keep it all things Joel!
    honestly dont know much about joel.. but if he s as good as people say and agreed a deal on a free in summer.. woohooo

What club in the world has five centre backs, who all expect to play? And don't forget Gomez, what chance is there for him?

Carragher once said in a Q&A that most clubs don't even have room for a fourth centre back, with that role being filled by a young lad or a utility player.

I think Liverpool fans have lost the sense of how centre back is supposed to be. Look at Spurs. Vertonghen and Alderweireld play virtually every game; Wimmer is a decent player but he sits on the bench and if needs be they have Dier who can step back in from midfield.

That's how it should be. However we can't have it that way. Sakho is constantly at risk of being injured. Despite his recent form, I'm sure every LFC fan is expecting Lovren to show up in the next game and go back to being a calamity.

There is no chance and hell we could afford to pay the wages of all those centre halves you've listed off. Only (unlikely) reality where we sign Matip, Howedes and Caulker next summer is one where one of Sakho or Lovren goes, maybe even both (and that also relies on Skrtel going which is going to prove difficult)

Quote Originally Posted by KMacDW View Post
    What club in the world has five centre backs, who all expect to play? And don't forget Gomez, what chance is there for him?

Carragher once said in a Q&A that most clubs don't even have room for a fourth centre back, with that role being filled by a young lad or a utility player.

I think Liverpool fans have lost the sense of how centre back is supposed to be. Look at Spurs. Vertonghen and Alderweireld play virtually every game; Wimmer is a decent player but he sits on the bench and if needs be they have Dier who can step back in from midfield.

That's how it should be. However we can't have it that way. Sakho is constantly at risk of being injured. Despite his recent form, I'm sure every LFC fan is expecting Lovren to show up in the next game and go back to being a calamity.

There is no chance and hell we could afford to pay the wages of all those centre halves you've listed off. Only (unlikely) reality where we sign Matip, Howedes and Caulker next summer is one where one of Sakho or Lovren goes, maybe even both (and that also relies on Skrtel going which is going to prove difficult)
    looking at our cb injury list we need about 7

looking at our cb injury list we need about 7
    That's right this minute. However we're talking the summer; by then our centre halves will be all fit again. granted as I said Sakho has a horrendous injury history and Lovren's is far from perfect either. However if you don't think you can rely on them to be your centre halves, then you get rid. You don't pay them big wages to sit on the bench behind Matip and Howedes.

Quote Originally Posted by KMacDW View Post
    That's right this minute. However we're talking the summer; by then our centre halves will be all fit again. granted as I said Sakho has a horrendous injury history and Lovren's is far from perfect either. However if you don't think you can rely on them to be your centre halves, then you get rid. You don't pay them big wages to sit on the bench behind Matip and Howedes.
    for sure but i dont think we ll sign both howedes and matip

and i believe lovren will still be here

the article quote says that he has rejected a new deal

Toure probably will leave in summer and so does Caulker. Then we will have 4 CBs (Matip, Skrtel, Lovern and sakho) with Gomes as a utility back up. It is enough in quantity. About quality, none of them looks like a super star but they are quiet balance. Matip is pacy while positioning is his weakness, Lovern is good in positioning but weak in physical strength while Sakho is physically strong.

Since the money from FSG will not be so much and we have to reinforce our attacking prowess with an expensive stirker. I am satisfy and basically accepted this 4 CBs.

Quote Originally Posted by LW94 View Post
    the article quote says that he has rejected a new deal
    Ah ok, Well if he does well then Klopp has done very well to get him for nothing.

for sure but i dont think we ll sign both howedes and matip

and i believe lovren will still be here
    Yeah but you said......nevermind let's leave it there

Quote Originally Posted by FootballScouser View Post
    Toure probably will leave in summer and so does Caulker. Then we will have 4 CBs (Matip, Skrtel, Lovern and sakho) with Gomes as a utility back up. It is enough in quantity. About quality, none of them looks like a super star but they are quiet balance. Matip is pacy while positioning is his weakness, Lovern is good in positioning but weak in physical strength while Sakho is physically strong.

Since the money from FSG will not be so much and we have to reinforce our attacking prowess with an expensive stirker. I am satisfy and basically accepted this 4 CBs.
    That will probably be the case.

Just frustrates me that Caulker could excel and build on the promise he once showed. And yet we won't have room for him. Giving Skrtel a new deal was ridicuous. I'd love to be able to flog him and bring Caulker in (if he performs).

Also think you're forgetting some things. Signing Matip doesn't suddenly sure up our defence. What about a keeper to compete (replace) Mignolet? What about a left back who can actually defend? What about cover for Clyne? What about that defensive mid we've needed for years?

Don't get me wrong we do need a striker and a winger. However we definitely need to add a lot more than Matip to defensive areas.

Klopp has said publicly that he told Lovren and Sakho to "stop killing me" with their crazy passes. He now understands that his role s to defend and not become a key playmaker

Mark my words, we have our midfield sorted,

MATIP will be deployed as DM whenever Lovren n Sakho are on fire ... But Matip will be our best Defender...

Can will develop fully as a CM.... A midfield trio of CAN, GRUJIC AND HENDERSON... wow

We should improve greatly on set pieces next year, at least in defending them

Schalke did want to keep him (still do which is why they won't sell him now) but the player was determined to move. Higher wages in EPL may have been a factor